PDA

View Full Version : Are there any video games suggestive of the movie MOON?

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
That is, sci-fi type mysteries without lots of shooting and stuff? I was thinking back to playing the Infocom text adventures in the 80s, and a few of their sci-fi outings come closest, like Starcross (http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/starcross/starcross.html) and Planetfall (http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/planetfall/planetfall.html).

Anything else even remotely in that neighborhood?

Criden
03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Deus Ex, but that has some amount of shooting. That's the first, and closest, example that comes to mind for me. Both games in the series are really great.

TheKraken
03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Last one I can think of is the 90s Lucasarts adventure game The Dig...

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Deus Ex, but that has some amount of shooting. That's the first, and closest, example that comes to mind for me. Both games in the series are really great.

Great example. I only ever sampled it at a friend's one time, but I remember it felt pretty realistic - sort of a thinking-man's first person shooter. Didn't some of its team work on Bioshock or help pave the way for it?

I wonder how dated the graphics are at this point? I returned to the awesome first person stealth game, Thief, a few years back, and sadly it was pretty primitive-looking. Great gameplay, but I think it's graphics were a little behind the times even when it was new.

Supreme Convoy
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
There was a game called D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28video_game%29), which was a survival horror/puzzle game. But it didn't play like Resident Evil with guns and a barrage of monsters. Seemed to be in a very different tone.

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Huh! Really didn't know much about this, but I skimmed some material on it and it sounds really cool. Might have to look into this...

Evan Wiener
03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Portal?

TheKraken
03-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Huh! Really didn't know much about this, but I skimmed some material on it and it sounds really cool. Might have to look into this...

As with all Lucasarts adventure games, it was awesome. :)

Briomega
03-06-2010, 08:42 PM
There's a shooter for the DS called "Moon". It's supposed to be survival horrori-ish, I believe.

TheKraken
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM

My brother informs me The Dig is on Steam for $5. I might go get it myself...

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Apropos of nothing: came across one bit of cool MOON-related art on deviantART.com:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/019/6/5/I__m_Sam_Bell__by_TheFridayThe13th.jpg

Supreme Convoy
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Apropos of nothing: came across one bit of cool MOON-related art on deviantART.com:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/019/6/5/I__m_Sam_Bell__by_TheFridayThe13th.jpg

:thumb: I like it!

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 09:26 PM
:thumb: I like it!

It reminded me of some of Ashley Wood's stuff, maybe 'cause I'd just been browsing through his adaptation of the Metal Gear game. His more painterly images have those flat areas of color and the color palette's nearly the same.

Funny thing: I looked at some of the artist's other stuff and it didn't seem near so accomplished.

Blue Flash
03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking of a mid 90s sci-fi (murder? detective?) mystery game for PC, with lots of hand-drawn graphic elements, in the same point-and-click style as The Dig...

LordKinbote
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM

My first thought was "A video game like Moon? Good luck with *that*, buddy!"

But, yeah, The Dig is actually a pretty good suggestion. It's probably one of the "lesser" Lucasarts games, but even a lesser Lucasarts game flirts with greatness.

TheKraken
03-06-2010, 09:45 PM

But, yeah, The Dig is actually a pretty good suggestion. It's probably one of the "lesser" Lucasarts games, but even a lesser Lucasarts game flirts with greatness.

The Dig was one of the first truly immersive games I ever played. The sense of freedom in exploring the strange landscape and the brilliantly atmospheric score really pulled you in. It wasn't as funny and wacky (and therefore, perhaps, as memorable) as their typical output, but it really stuck with me.

LordKinbote
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
The Dig was one of the first truly immersive games I ever played. The sense of freedom in exploring the strange landscape and the brilliantly atmospheric score really pulled you in. It wasn't as funny and wacky (and therefore, perhaps, as memorable) as their typical output, but it really stuck with me.

It was very immersive, but as a game, some of its puzzles were pretty bad. Not bad enough for me to not recommend the game, but bad enough to cause frustration.

The Hodag
03-06-2010, 09:49 PM

:lol:

That's what I thought, too, but the Benbo's pretty awesome with these kinds of questions. Even the suggestion of Portal is a reasonable one. It's more puzzle-solver than mystery, but the sterile NASA look and the computer AI make it a fair comparison.

TheKraken
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
It was very immersive, but as a game, some of its puzzles were pretty bad. Not bad enough for me to not recommend the game, but bad enough to cause frustration.

That's true, it did have some pretty absurd puzzles. And back when you couldn't just go look up a walkthrough! :)