PDA

View Full Version : Snl 3/6/10

silverboy
03-06-2010, 07:34 PM
They haven't been able to make Obama or health care funny yet...why do they keep trying?

Hope this picks up.

batroc the leaper
03-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I love this man. He is my idol.

silverboy
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
He's great.

GrandeMaestro F√ľnke
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
They need to get someone else to play Obama.

Dark Sasha
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Kilometers Davis!

Dark Sasha
03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Hoobastank!

batroc the leaper
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Hoobastank!

Nothing I love more than someone talking about hoobastank

Jmd211
03-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Tha was the best monologue in a long time!!!

batroc the leaper
03-06-2010, 07:47 PM
That had to be the best opening in a long time!!!

Opening or monologue?
The monologue was killing me, the opening... not so much.

Jmd211
03-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Opening or monologue?
The monologue was killing me, the opening... not so much.

monologue

batroc the leaper
03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
That last shit was incredible. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

LordKinbote
03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
That last shit was incredible. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

The Kathie Lee Gifford sketch? That's the first time in a long time I remember SNL having a joke in one sketch carry into another.

Spidey616
03-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I heard through the twitter vine to keep an eye out on the weekend update for some Marvel related jokes. I'm guessing Spidey's recent latest unemployment news.

Dark Sasha
03-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Ok. How do they do that with the beard?

Georgie
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Ok. How do they do that with the beard?

It's called make-up. He never appears without a beard unless he's Seth. The beard at the end was fake.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 03:48 AM
All around, I found this to be a very disappointing episode. Well, disappointing is probably the wrong word, because I had a good feeling that, as funny as Zach Galifianakis is, he probably isn't exactly suited for a show like SNL.

Bill Nolan
03-07-2010, 06:51 AM
The beard has looked fake for a while. In some lighting it's a completely different color than his mustache.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 06:54 AM
The beard has looked fake for a while. In some lighting it's a completely different color than his mustache.

As someone with a Galifianakian beard, I can tell you that happens. My beard tends to be a color reddish while my moustache is closer to the brown color of my hair.

Of course, the beard at the end was most definitely a fake.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 06:57 AM
They haven't been able to make Obama or health care funny yet...why do they keep trying?

Hope this picks up.
Obama is simply not a "funny" president. The only way to make him funny would be to give him weird inflections and personality traits he doesn't have. In other words, make a 'Bizzaro Obama'.

Georgie
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
So I got a chance to watch the 1st skits of the show that I missed last night. I only really laughed at the "Zach gets Screen Time" short. I enjoyed Whats Up With That, even though it's the same exact skit every time. Sudekis dancing still gets me, though.

The monolouge was great, too. I liked the Today Show bit, if only for the reoccurring Zach in the background. I'm also very glad Jenny Slate is getting more screen time. I remember liking her on one of those "I love the..." shows on VH1, and she was great on HBO's Bored to Death. Plus, it's really nice seeing a woman castmember that isn't Kristen Wiig for more than 2 seconds.

Mylazycat
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
What beard thing are you people talking about, may I politely ask?

LordKinbote
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
What beard thing are you people talking about, may I politely ask?

In the very last sketch, Galifianakis had shaven his beard into a mustache between commercials. In the closing credits, he mysteriously had "grown" his beard back, but it was an obvious fake.

Mylazycat
03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
In the very last sketch, Galifianakis had shaven his beard into a mustache between commercials. In the closing credits, he mysteriously had "grown" his beard back, but it was an obvious fake.

Ha! I didn't notice that in the credits. Good catch.

Mylazycat
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm also very glad Jenny Slate is getting more screen time. I remember liking her on one of those "I love the..." shows on VH1, and she was great on HBO's Bored to Death. Plus, it's really nice seeing a woman castmember that isn't Kristen Wiig for more than 2 seconds.

One of the best monolouges in a long, long time. How I miss when those weren't scripted, all mostly formula q&A with fake audience members as it is now. I believe we have Martin Lawrence to thank for that, if memory serves.

Also, Jenny Slate is insanely hot. My celeb crush of 2010.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
The problem I have with the monologue is that it's the same stand-up routine that Zach's been doing for several years now. Aside from "It's great to be back hosting SNL," and "Hoobastank is here," there wasn't anything new.

Mylazycat
03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Then again, comedians have a habit of bringing around older bits, itr's their habit. To a newbie, though, and I'm sure many viewers were, it was gold.

Simps
03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
The Kathie Lee Gifford sketch? That's the first time in a long time I remember SNL having a joke in one sketch carry into another.

They did it with the Closet Organizer sketch a few weeks ago when Jon Hamm hosted.

shoelaceless
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
It's sort of surreal seeing Zach Galifianakis in some of the more cheesy snl sketches. Great episode though.

ImLactoseIntolerantUJerk
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
what was on bobby's shirt at the end of the episode? it looked like the hulk's head and then something else.

Dark Sasha
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
So wait, he has to wait till it grows back?

LordKinbote
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
So wait, he has to wait till it grows back?

That is how beards work, yes. :)

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Was it any good? I'm a big Zach Galfikannus fan but not an SNL fan.

Boris the Blade
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
The problem I have with the monologue is that it's the same stand-up routine that Zach's been doing for several years now. Aside from "It's great to be back hosting SNL," and "Hoobastank is here," there wasn't anything new.
This thread leads me to believe that he shaved the beard again. Something he did on Late World, back whenever that was.

RegHorsten
03-07-2010, 02:39 PM

You means its job is not to mask the gay?:)

Dark Sasha
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM

That's so not Raven.

LordKinbote
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
You means its job is not to mask the gay?:)

That's why *I* have a beard, but beards are multipurpose. Mostly a place to hold food for later.

ImLactoseIntolerantUJerk
03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/132948/saturday-night-live-snl-backstage-zach-shaves-his-beard#s-p1-sr-i1

shoelaceless
03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I completely missed the beard thing because they cut that sketch out on hulu. That's pretty funny.

XXXenophile
03-08-2010, 01:30 AM
I think I'm more impressed he shaved that all off in like 5 minutes.

I try doing that with what I grow on my face in like a week and I'm standing there for bout 20 to 25 minutes getting rid of it all.

BWC Boston
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Well, he still had some stubble. A decent pair of clippers will hack away most of your growth during an average Vampire Weekend musical performance, even if it won't be baby-smooth.

I mostly liked this episode. It was wildly uneven--the stuff that I found mildly-amusing-to-really-great was immediately followed with some hackneyed, disorganized crap--but there was a lot of good stuff here. "Zach Visits The Set," its immediate callback on the Today Show, even the goofy "Bidet" sketch. I liked the Beauty Pageant Talk show, which I haven't seen anyone mention beyond Zach's beard.

It's time to retire WHAT'S UP WITH THAT or change it up a little next time. I was a big supporter initially, but at this point it's not only the same sketch structure but often exactly the same dialogue as the last few times. Keenan can sell a lot of mediocre material with his energy, but this one's flagging.

The fact that I'm sick of the "Make-Out Family" and they've only done them 5 or 6 times in 4 years really speaks to how one-note the sketch is. You can even hear the live audience cringe in recognition once it starts. One you get used to fake incest and dudes tongue-kissing the jig is up. Also: Why have the first post-monologue sketch be a recurring concept? Wouldn't you want that burst of recognition, assuming the audience would enjoy those characters returning, to energize a later portion of the show? Strange.

Also, did they somehow have less rehearsal time than usual, or were they all high? It started in the cold open with Forte's flubbed " thought it would be popular/unpopular" line, and continued from there. Zach couldn't keep a straight face through most of the sketches (which got contagious), there were a ton of awkward pauses between the performers, and even a few technical miscues. Again, weird.

Boris the Blade
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The opening was terrible.
His monologue was mostly recycled.
The first sketch was really fucking terrible.

Why Zach?
Dare I keep watching?

I can hardly believe how unfunny it is despite the fact that I like pretty much everyone in this cast.