PDA

View Full Version : Iceman is an Omega level mutant?

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
For some reason I was thinking about power levels for various Marvel characters so I did a search for Omega level characters.

Iceman pops up on a fairly short list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Omega-level_mutants

Kind of a surprise, I've never thought he was that powerful.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
He is insanely powerful. Take a look at some of the stuff he could do in AoA. He never has never pushed himself as much in 616 Marvel.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
In the first Arc or two of Carey's Run he played and toyed with Iceman's Powers. As in Iceman got evaporated and was able to reform himself out of the moisture in the air.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM
In the first Arc or two of Carey's Run he played and toyed with Iceman's Powers. As in Iceman got evaporated and was able to reform himself out of the moisture in the air.

And in Chuck Austen's run, he was able to reform himself out of Havok's urine.

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 06:04 PM

:?

Criden
The FF are Omega-level mutants, right?

Thudpucker
If he did really nasty things like freeze the blood inside of people... yea. He'd be scary in a fight.

Does something like that make a power 'omega' level though? I would think someone like Magneto would be more powerful than Iceman. Or Cyclops. Or a dozen others, really.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 06:05 PM

I don't remember that. What issue was it in?

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 06:06 PM
If he did really nasty things like freeze the blood inside of people... yea. He'd be scary in a fight.

Does something like that make a power 'omega' level though? I would think someone like Magneto would be more powerful than Iceman. Or Cyclops. Or a dozen others, really.

I don't know if this was fanboy speculation or I read it somewhere official, but apparently he can control and slow the very atoms of matter, manipulating things like that on a basic building block level is pretty powerful.

I'd think of him as an opposite Phoenix, an Iceix if you will.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't remember that. What issue was it in?

I think it was during the whole "Draco" mess.

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 06:07 PM

They're mutates!

Criden
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
They're mutates!

What do you mean?

bartleby
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't know if this was fanboy speculation or I read it somewhere official, but apparently he can control and slow the very atoms of matter, manipulating things like that on a basic building block level is pretty powerful.

There was an issue where Emma Frost took control of Iceman and unleashed his powers to their full potential. Not sure what issue though. But if I remember correctly, John Romita, Jr. drew it (during his second go-round), so that would place it around the time of UNCANNY X-MEN #300.

edit: Actually, it looks like it was Lee Weeks. http://www.thexaxis.com/indexes/uncannyxmen/314.htm

c. page
03-06-2010, 06:09 PM
with a creative application of his powers, sure.

c. page
03-06-2010, 06:09 PM
There was an issue where Emma Frost took control of Iceman and unleashed his powers to their full potential. Not sure what issue though. But if I remember correctly, John Romita, Jr. drew it (during his second go-round), so that would place it around the time of UNCANNY X-MEN #300.

it wasn't romita jr, but it was between his run and madureira's so sometime around 310 or 312, i think.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

I'd think of him as an opposite Phoenix, an Iceix if you will.

Hmm, that is an interesting way to think of it. Maybe he could get to the point where he is like Molecule man, controling more than water.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

I think it has to do with the magnitude and precision possible. Iceman can transport people by turning them into liquid and reforming them somewhere else for instance. He can do this for a number of people at a time. His body is nearly indestructible while in ice form. He can do lots. THe application of his powers is very diversified.

Magneto can control metal. I know it is strong, but in the grand scheme of things not nearly as impressive.

Cyclops shoots concussive blasts, powerful, but limited.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Maybe they just havn't gotten around to labeling them Omega yet but Magneto and Polaris seem like they should be.

Scarlet Witch should be on that list also.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Maybe they just havn't gotten around to labeling them Omega yet but Magneto and Polaris seem like they should be.

Scarlet Witch should be on that list also.

The list of Omega Mutants was detailed in X-Men Forever.

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM

The FF aren't mutants at all.

Matt Jay
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Wolverine was named an Omega level mutant in AoA, but I don't think he should qualify.

Criden
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
The FF aren't mutants at all.

Are you sure? I thought I read somewhere that the Cosmic Rays just unlocked their latent mutant gene.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Just remembered that Dan Slott labeled Trauma an Omega Level mutant in Avengers Initiative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_(comics)

Buk Was Right
03-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Are you sure? I thought I read somewhere that the Cosmic Rays just unlocked their latent mutant gene.

Sounds like Trask propaganda to me.

Cradleman
03-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Iceman is an Omega, if I remember correctly, because his power extends far beyond merely controlling ice. I believe that used to their fullest extent, he could actually go so far as to bring the temperature of at least the entire solar system down to absolute zero. He just prefers to use his powers to a much lesser extant than they really go.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Sounds like Trask propaganda to me.

Sounds like you're a mutie sympathizer! :mad:

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 06:26 PM

I've never heard that. I think there was a somewhat recent issue in which Reed found that the cosmic rays the FF encountered were actually a form of communication from an advanced alien race.

Spidey616
03-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Franklin Richards was an Omega level mutant if i remember correctly

Buk Was Right
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds like you're a mutie sympathizer! :mad:

Dude! Mutie is not the preferred nomenclature.

Mutant American please!

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
According to Wiki:
Mutants that have been confirmed as Omega-level include Jean Grey, Vulcan, Rachel Summers, Iceman, Legion, Elixir, and Franklin Richards.

Criden
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I've never heard that. I think there was a somewhat recent issue in which Reed found that the cosmic rays the FF encountered were actually a form of communication from an advanced alien race.

Even if I'm mistaken, I think it could be a worthwhile retcon that would make a lot of sense. And as Spidey616 said, Franklin Richards is an Omega-level mutant, so maybe mutancy is hereditary.

Kedd
03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Omega Level Mutants List:
Who ever the story needs.

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
What do you mean?

Could have sworn that's what Marvel was calling the superheroes who gained powers via accidents like Spider-Man, the FF, and Hulk.

EDIT: Bam! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutate_%28comics%29

Dreaded Anomaly
Even if I'm mistaken, I think it could be a worthwhile retcon that would make a lot of sense. And as Spidey616 said, Franklin Richards is an Omega-level mutant, so maybe mutancy is hereditary.

It's certainly an idea that's been used in some places, such as the Earth X universe in which all superpowers are the result of the "Celestial seed," and the mutant gene is just one manifestation of that.

Franklin's status as a mutant has always been an odd case. He was originally said to be a mutant because he was born with abilities rather than gaining them later in life, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the mutant gene.

Magnum V.I.

Mutant American please!

:mad:!!

I'm taking you off my Friends of Humanity mailing list!!

And adding you to my brick-through-window-tires-slashed-chicken-fucking list!!!

:mad:

Criden
03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Could have sworn that's what Marvel was calling the superheroes who gained powers via accidents like Spider-Man, the FF, and Hulk.

EDIT: Bam! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutate_%28comics%29

Oh, cool, I'm not sure I've ever heard that.

Criden
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
It's certainly an idea that's been used in some places, such as the Earth X universe in which all superpowers are the result of the "Celestial seed," and the mutant gene is just one manifestation of that.

Franklin's status as a mutant has always been an odd case. He was originally said to be a mutant because he was born with abilities rather than gaining them later in life, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the mutant gene.

Oh, yeah, I think I might've just been thinking of Earth X. That was such a great series.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Franklin Richards was an Omega level mutant if i remember correctly

Franklin and Valeria are both Omega level mutants

Found a better list at the Marvel site:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level_Mutants

Some interesting ones:

Mr. Immortal (Great Lake Avengers)
Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Chamber (Generation X)
Jubilee
Magneto
Storm

Interesting that Megneto is there and Polaris is not. Also no Scarlet Witch.

I saw on another site that Dazzler has been called Omega level.

Foolish Mortal
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
All human beings on Marvel Earth have a latent genetic potential for superhuman powers. A small percentage are born with the X-Gene and will develop powers when they reach puberty. (Some earlier)

But the vast majority of people will never develop any powers, unless they're exposed some specific catalyst that triggers them. That's what happened in the cases of the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, and Spider-Man.

Kedd
03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
:mad:!!

I'm taking you off my Friends of Humanity mailing list!!

And adding you to my brick-through-window-tires-slashed-chicken-fucking list!!!

:mad:

You're going to fornicate a chicken just to spite him?

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Mutant American please!

Geecees!

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
You're going to fornicate a chicken just to spite him?

Can you ever unwatch a fat bearded Ginger with a small penis screw a rooster in front of your taped open eyes?!?!?

HUH!?!??? :mad: :mad:

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Can you ever unwatch a fat bearded Ginger with a small penis screw a rooster in front of your taped open eyes?!?!?

No, I really haven't been able to.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 06:53 PM

i apologize for that incident. But as my official biographer there are things you will learn and see that you will never unsee.

Kedd
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM

well...no...

I'm so sorry...

i apologize for that incident. But as my official biographer there are things you will learn and see that you will never unsee.
Matthew must suffer for the greater good. Excelsior!!!!

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I think it has to do with the magnitude and precision possible. Iceman can transport people by turning them into liquid and reforming them somewhere else for instance. He can do this for a number of people at a time. His body is nearly indestructible while in ice form. He can do lots. THe application of his powers is very diversified.

Magneto can control metal. I know it is strong, but in the grand scheme of things not nearly as impressive.

Cyclops shoots concussive blasts, powerful, but limited.

Well he can control the iron in a person's blood, kinda like how Iceman can control the water in people. Also Magneto can shift the Earth's axis and has done so previously. AND he's about to bring Kitty back from a bajillion light years away. If that's not Omega then... :)

The Crushtacean
03-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Some interesting ones:

Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Chamber (Generation X)
Jubilee
Magneto
Storm

Say what?

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Well he can control the iron in a person's blood, kinda like how Iceman can control the water in people. Also Magneto can shift the Earth's axis and has done so previously. AND he's about to bring Kitty back from a bajillion light years away. If that's not Omega then... :)

Magneto made it onto the Marvel website list, which makes me happy. None of his kids are on there though.

Some interesting ones:

Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Chamber (Generation X)
Jubilee
Magneto
Storm

Interesting that Megneto is there and Polaris is not. Also no Scarlet Witch.

I saw on another site that Dazzler has been called Omega level.

Criden
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Please try to remember to use spoiler-tags.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Say what?

Apparently 'she had the potential to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level'.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Jubilation_Lee_(Earth-616)

The Crushtacean
03-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Magneto doesn't control metal. He generates and controls magnetism and magnetic fields, which is entirely different. All materials are affected to a greater or lesser degree by magnetic fields; that's why he can fly. Electricity and magnetism are also interlinked. It gets complicated, but basically Magneto has the power to manipulate the magnetic fields of any mass he chooses, letting him do things like tear a planet apart (like Ultimate Magneto was doing in Ultimatum). Writers who just have him move metal around aren't using their imagination.

The Crushtacean
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Apparently 'she had the potential to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level'.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Jubilation_Lee_(Earth-616)

So she could turn people into nukes, if she wanted. Except that she's not a mutant anymore.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Magneto doesn't control metal. He generates and controls magnetism and magnetic fields, which is entirely different. All materials are affected to a greater or lesser degree by magnetic fields; that's why he can fly. Electricity and magnetism are also interlinked. It gets complicated, but basically Magneto has the power to manipulate the magnetic fields of any mass he chooses, letting him do things like tear a planet apart (like Ultimate Magneto was doing in Ultimatum). Writers who just have him move metal around aren't using their imagination.

Well I wasn't the one who said he could just do metal. :)
And you're further proving what I said, that he IS an Omega.

Thudpucker
So she could turn people into nukes, if she wanted. Except that she's not a mutant anymore.

For now. She'll get her powers back eventually.

No one stays dead, no one stays depowered.

The Crushtacean
Well I wasn't the one who said he could just do metal. :)
And you're further proving what I said, that he IS an Omega.

I was agreeing with you. :)

The Crushtacean
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Noone stays dead, noone stays depowered.

True enough.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Darwin would be pretty Omega, I'd say.

OTOH if we just start talking potential then yeah POTENTIALLY anyone could be an Omega, so this is kind of a slippery slope. I mean, if there's only 198 mutants left and like half of them are Omega-powerful, then they shouldn't be having any problem surviving. :)

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:28 PM

No one stays dead, no one stays depowered.

Yeah but does anyone even miss Jubilee? She was like one teenage sidekick too many for Wolverine. Plus he's got that Armor girl & Pixie under his wing now, so that makes Jubilee extra redundant. And if she's gonna be featured as the little girl all grown up, then there's Kitty fulfilling that role, as far as Logan's sidekicks go.

And since HoM has anyone even thought, man I'd love to see Jubilee's perspective on this particular situation? :no: she was a crap character to begin with and that's how she'll always be. And you know it. :cool:

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:28 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Potential shouldn't count, only characters who actually use their powers at an Omega level should be called Omega.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Back during Necieza's Gambit series he turned pretty Omega towards the end there.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Potential shouldn't count, only characters who actually use their powers at an Omega level should be called Omega.

Yeah. So let's make an actual, makes-sense kinda list.

Xavier
Magneto
Apocalypse
Cable
Namor (?)
Scarlet Witch
Emma Frost
Vulcan
Nate Grey
Darwin
Franklin & Val Richards
The Cuckoo sisters together
Jean Grey (dead)
Cassandra Nova (dead)
Iceman (he's almost kinda there)
Quentin Quire (well he came out of stasis during Phoenix Endsong, so he could always come back again)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Trauma (Avengers Initiative) is Omega level, Slott officially gave him the label. He's using at that level too.

If someone is afraid of Thor, for example, then Trauma can actually become Thor.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't knowwwwww... Slott's writing is pretty suspect lately. (MA)

Criden
03-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Would Guardian (Michael Pointer) be on that list?

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:48 PM
The characters I posted earlier:

Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Chamber (Generation X)
Storm

Not sure if Wiccan is actually using his powers at that level yet though. He's probably close.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Would Guardian (Michael Pointer) be on that list?

Yes, he's on there:

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:50 PM
The characters I posted earlier:

Wiccan (Young Avengers)
Chamber (Generation X)
Jubilee
Storm

But you said it should be people who actually use their powers like that. So no Jubilee. And is Chamber even alive? Wiccan seems very green still, as do all YA. Storm, definitely.

Kedd
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Say what?

Synch used her powers pretty effectively in the Generation X lead up back in the 90's. Damn do I miss that character :(

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd put Guardian in the potential category. He's still untrained and kind of a pussy, as seen in Dark X-men. :)

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
But you said it should be people who actually use their powers like that. So no Jubilee. And is Chamber even alive? Wiccan seems very green still, as do all YA. Storm, definitely.

Forgot to remove Jubilee. The other 4 belong though.

Chamber is depowered right now but apparently he was insanely powerful, he was just afraid to use his power is all because using it destroyed his physical body.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Would the current incarnation of Rogue count?

NickT
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Isn't the whole term a bit meaningless? Basically if you can determine their powers as being powerful in some way, a writer might call them that.

Doug Ramsey is a powerful lingualist!

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Isn't the whole term a bit meaningless? Basically if you can determine their powers as being powerful in some way, a writer might call them that.

Doug Ramsey is a powerful lingualist!

Yes but is he cunning? :)

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Kitty Pryde (?)

she phased the bullet thru the entire freakin planet. if that wasn't the ultimate use of her powers, I don't know what is.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Could and have are two different things.

Yes, Squirrel Girl could be written as an Omega level mutant. Any character could be. What we're discussing is who has been written that way.

Your attempt to poo poo on our fun has been deflected! :razz:

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Firestar maybe? How powerful is she? I don't think she's ever cut loose.

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, he's on there:

That category listing isn't entirely correct; for example, if you go to Emma Frost's page you'll see she's actually an Alpha level mutant, which is more correct. I would also place Xavier and the Cuckoos at this level; they're all very powerful telepaths, but lack the raw power Omega level indicates, as I describe below.

Omega level is generally reserved for those mutants who have some sort of power to manipulate reality/time/space on a molecular, atomic, or sub-atomic level. Of well-known characters, this description best fits (in my opinion) Jean Grey, Iceman, Quentin Quire, Nate Grey, Vulcan, Legion, Elixir, Franklin and Valeria. From the wikia list, Mister M, Arcadia DeVille, Arnold Lundberg, Gaia, James Braddock, James Jaspers, and Mikhail Rasputin also seem to qualify. (It's notable that many of these characters end up acting almost solely as dei ex machina/plot devices.)

I would place Magneto, Storm, and Chamber (formerly) "on the bubble" as possible candidates whose histories of specific areas of power usage make a strict conclusion difficult. Jubilee (formerly), Wiccan, Gambit and Cable are all characters who have the potential to be Omega level, but haven't lived up to it, either due to simple inexperience or physical disability. Characters like Darwin, Trauma and Apocalypse seem to have primarily the ability to manipulate themselves on a molecular level, which I think should be a separate category, or maybe a sub-category. Mr. Immortal's inclusion puzzles me, to be honest, and I think if anything he belongs in the above-described sub-category.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I care to say Proteus is also an Omega Level mutant.

jamestolliver
03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
That category listing isn't entirely correct; for example, if you go to Emma Frost's page you'll see she's actually an Alpha level mutant, which is more correct. I would also place Xavier and the Cuckoos at this level; they're all very powerful telepaths, but lack the raw power Omega level indicates, as I describe below.

Omega level is generally reserved for those mutants who have some sort of power to manipulate reality/time/space on a molecular, atomic, or sub-atomic level. Of well-known characters, this description best fits (in my opinion) Jean Grey, Iceman, Quentin Quire, Nate Grey, Vulcan, Legion, Elixir, Franklin and Valeria. From the wikia list, Mister M, Arcadia DeVille, Arnold Lundberg, Gaia, James Braddock, James Jaspers, and Mikhail Rasputin also seem to qualify. (It's notable that many of these characters end up acting almost solely as dei ex machina/plot devices.)

I would place Magneto, Storm, and Chamber (formerly) "on the bubble" as possible candidates whose histories of specific areas of power usage make a strict conclusion difficult. Jubilee (formerly), Wiccan, Gambit and Cable are all characters who have the potential to be Omega level, but haven't lived up to it, either due to simple inexperience or physical disability. Characters like Darwin, Trauma and Apocalypse seem to have primarily the ability to manipulate themselves on a molecular level, which I think should be a separate category, or maybe a sub-category. Mr. Immortal's inclusion puzzles me, to be honest, and I think if anything he belongs in the above-described sub-category.

This is a very geeky post but I agree with all of it. :)

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Gambit WAS Omega during the Necieza series but he expended it all by the end.
And Cable definitely comes and goes, I'd say. Sometimes he has teke or telepathy, sometimes he doesn't, so it's hard to say.

I think Hope will probably be an Omega too at some point.

To go off on a tangent: How is Hope supposed to be the savior of mutantkind? At this point it's just a prophecy thing, right? I don't remember the details of Messiah Complex, but did Destiny predict this? Even then is Hope supposed to have a plan or is she supposed to be just super powerful? I guess we'll find out in Second Coming.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Very well reasoned, I agree with all of that.

Scarlet Witch is the only character you're missing. Her abilty actually seems beyond Omega, she's operating on a Godlike level now.

jamestolliver
03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought that Cable was a potential Omega level mutant but his powers were limited by keeping the techno-virus thing in check.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Proteus people.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought that Cable was a potential Omega level mutant but his powers were limited by keeping the techno-virus thing in check.

Nate Grey and Cable are versions of the same character. Nate Grey took his ability to the Omega level, Cable stopped short of it though (the techno-virus may be the reason for that).

Is Stryfe (Cable's clone) Omega level?

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I think we should stick to mutants that are still alive, which Jean, Legion, Cassie Nova are not. (though I guess "alive" is a relative term)

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Batman. :lol:

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I care to say Proteus is also an Omega Level mutant.

Good call.

This is a very geeky post but I agree with all of it. :)

Yes, yes it is. :)

Scarlet Witch is the only character you're missing. Her abilty actually seems beyond Omega, she's operating on a Godlike level now.

I thought I had put her on the list. I must have forgotten to type that thought.

That was what I meant by "physical disabilities." I also think that Mr. Sinister fucked with Gambit somehow to prevent him from reaching his full potential, but I don't remember the details.

I think we should stick to mutants that are still alive, which Jean, Legion, Cassie Nova are not. (though I guess "alive" is a relative term)

Legion is definitely still alive.

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:43 PM

I think 'alive' is too relative to matter.

Death in the Marvel Universe isn't final. It's simply changing the plane of existance a character lives on. Jean and others still exist, they're just in a different place for the time being.

majorjoe23
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Mutant American please!

According to Strong Guy in Peter David's first X-Factor run, it's genetically challenged, or Gee-Chee for short.

Treacle
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM

This is too much geek for one post. I love it. :)

WhindamPryce
That was what I meant by "physical disabilities." I also think that Mr. Sinister fucked with Gambit somehow to prevent him from reaching his full potential, but I don't remember the details.

This is true. When Gambit was younger his powers went out of control so he asked Sinister for a lobotomy, thereby owing him a favor, which resulted in Gambit having to lead the Marauders down into the Morlock tunnels during the Mutant Massacre. It was a piece of his brain in that Uncanny 350 vial. :thumb:

Legion is definitely still alive.

Really?

I think 'alive' is too relative to matter.

Death in the Marvel Universe isn't final. It's simply changing the plane of existance a character lives on. Jean and others still exist, they're just in a different place for the time being.

Word.

The Zevad
Robert Drake's treatment in Marvel Comics pisses me off. He has shit loads potential. BUt he gets disrespected. Every time. Every freaking time someone is going to push him and make him evolve...he gets off the title and the next writer devloves Bobby back into the class clown.

At least Mike Carey's doing SOMETHING. I just hope at some point they show Bobby using his powers like he did in AOA and hook him up with Rogue. Frack Gambit.

This too pisses me off. Scarlet Witch is not an Omega. Hell no. If Cthon hadn't imbued Wanda with Chaos Magic she would have been a low level energy manipulater. As such the Chaos Magic allowed her to manipulate probalities or create chaos bombs that allowed her to manipulate out comes in battle or cause a building to collapse on itself.

ON HER OWN she can't have God Like Power Levels. Not on her own. She needs a external power source. In Busiek/Perez's run it was the Asgardian Twilight Sword that Morgan Le Fey used to power Wanda and alter relality.

But Bendis never botthered to explain what powered her up to cause Avengers Disembled or House of M. Not one iota of explanation or what fucked up her memories and that of the Avengers concerning the origin of her children or how she forgot about them again as did they.

GRRRRRRRRRR. :mad:

Thudpucker
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Really?

Dreaded Anomaly is the one who said Legion is still alive, not me. He's right though, Legion was in a recent arc of New Mutants.

JamesV
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM

I agree with everything said here.

That said, could the reason Mr. Immortal is included is because he is almost operating outside of the physical realm when it comes to his power. He doesn't just heal or regenerate. He's resurrected naturally without manipulation upon dying. While Darwin and Apocalypse manipulate their own molecules, he just seems to exist and seemingly exist impervious to any thing on our "plane."

It could really just be a matter at how you look at/define omnipotence.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Dreaded Anomaly is the one who said Legion is still alive, not me. He's right though, Legion was in a recent arc of New Mutants.

Man, my nerd-fu is kinda weak tonight.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with everything said here.

That said, could the reason Mr. Immortal is included is because he is almost operating outside of the physical realm when it comes to his power. He doesn't just heal or regenerate. He's resurrected naturally without manipulation upon dying. While Darwin and Apocalypse manipulate their own molecules, he just seems to exist and seemingly exist impervious to any thing on our "plane."

It could really just be a matter at how you look at/define omnipotence.

But even then isn't he still only affecting himself? If he can reach out and resurrect others (like Elixir) that'd be something else.

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
This is too much geek for one post. I love it. :)

http://www.rpi.edu/~pedrok/Tip-Hat.gif

This is true. When Gambit was younger his powers went out of control so he asked Sinister for a lobotomy, thereby owing him a favor, which resulted in Gambit having to lead the Marauders down into the Morlock tunnels during the Mutant Massacre. It was a piece of his brain in that Uncanny 350 vial. :thumb:

Really?

Word.

Yes, Legion has recently appeared in the new New Mutants series. He's currently on Utopia, getting his many many personalities under control.

JamesV
03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
But even then isn't he still only affecting himself? If he can reach out and resurrect others (like Elixir) that'd be something else.

True.

But there is a difference between regeneration and omnipotence. And right now he seems to be omnipotent. Even Apocalypse required technological assistance to regenerate himself.

Stupid Mr. Immortal not making any sense.

Jef UK
03-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Life is mostly made out of water, so being able to manipulate water like Iceman can makes him insanely powerful among living beings. He could at least kill every person on the planet instantly at the same time.

Humphrey_Lee
03-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Well, technically Magneto's powers don't accurately work the way they should so who knows. It's one of those things, Iceman is really as powerful as the person writing him presents him. And having someone that can control the moisture and temperature of the water in the air can be written pretty goddamned powerful if so desired.

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Would this maybe include Domino as well? She can alter probability/reality with her luck powers, right? It's not really powerful, but it could be...?

WhindamPryce
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, Legion has recently appeared in the new New Mutants series. He's currently on Utopia, getting his many many personalities under control.

It's probably because I haven't been reading New Mutants. Might give it a look now though.

If I may ask, how has Xavier reacted to Legion being there?

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Would this maybe include Domino as well? She can alter probability/reality with her luck powers, right? It's not really powerful, but it could be...?

Abilities like Domino's are an interesting case, but I think they're usually too limited in scope to be considered Omega level.

It's probably because I haven't been reading New Mutants. Might give it a look now though.

If I may ask, how has Xavier reacted to Legion being there?

As far as I can remember, his reaction hasn't been shown (yet).

Jef UK
03-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Well, technically Magneto's powers don't accurately work the way they should so who knows.

Yeah, Magneto somehow has the power to manipulate all metals or some bullshit, and that ain't magnetism. Copper and aluminum would be outside of his control, for example. Meanwhile, other substances are only repelled by magnetic fields, while other substances are only attracted to magnetic fields.

Humphrey_Lee
03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, Magneto somehow has the power to manipulate all metals or some bullshit, and that ain't magnetism. Copper and aluminum would be outside of his control, for example. Meanwhile, other substances are only repelled by magnetic fields, while other substances are only attracted to magnetic fields.

Yeah, he'd pretty much be flinging himself all over the place from the reverse effect or pulling giant bunches of shit at himself depending on what he was manipulating all the time. But eh, it's comics.

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 09:23 PM

And on a more fundamental level, magnetism isn't a separate force, but rather another aspect of electricity. If Magneto really had some kind of ability to control magnetism, he should be able to control anything that interacts with the electromagnetic force, which on the subatomic level is pretty much everything. That's why I listed him as "on the bubble."

Jef UK
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, he'd pretty much be flinging himself all over the place from the reverse effect or pulling giant bunches of shit at himself depending on what he was manipulating all the time. But eh, it's comics.

Working within those limitations could allow for a lot more new stories and better writing, methinks. Not that getting bogged down in a lot of details makes for a good story, but limitations and figuring stuff out sure do. Ellis has made a career of it! :)

c. page
03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
And on a more fundamental level, magnetism isn't a separate force, but rather another aspect of electricity. If Magneto really had some kind of ability to control magnetism, he should be able to control anything that interacts with the electromagnetic force, which on the subatomic level is pretty much everything. That's why I listed him as "on the bubble."

they've shown that electricity rejuvenates him as far back as uncanny #150 (i think), and i believe his OHOTMU entry does mention that he controls things on that range. it just depends on the writer using him, and like iceman, how creative they want to get.

Taxman
03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Iceman is an Omega level mutant?If by "Omega Level" the last guy you would want to see used in a story, then yes.

Mr. Sean
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Regarding Trauma:

Is he even a mutant at all? Last i read, they were hinting that he's NiteMare's son, which would make him half-demon/magical, not an X-Gene Mutant, right?

Dreaded Anomaly
03-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Regarding Trauma:

Is he even a mutant at all? Last i read, they were hinting that he's NiteMare's son, which would make him half-demon/magical, not an X-Gene Mutant, right?

One doesn't necessarily preclude the other.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 05:45 AM
One doesn't necessarily preclude the other.

True. Scarlet Witch has both mutant powers, and inherent magic powers from her Wundagore heritage.

panco
03-07-2010, 05:50 AM
If by "Omega Level" the last guy you would want to see used in a story, then yes.

I endorse this statement.
Ultimate Iceman is cool beans though.

Thudpucker
03-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Yes, non-humans and half humans can be mutants too. Namor is Atlantean and he's a mutant.

Warlock is a mutant alien, a cybernetic one at that.

panco
03-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Yes, non-humans and half humans can be mutants too. Namor is Atlantean and he's a mutant.

Warlock is a mutant alien, a cybernetic one at that.

Aren't Thanos and his brother Starfox some kind of alien mutants too? I think that was how they explained their looks and abilities back then.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Generally, if you're born with the X-gene and develop superpowers, then you're a mutant. If you don't have the X-gene and get superpowers from an outside catalyst, then you're a mutate.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Aren't Thanos and his brother Starfox some kind of alien mutants too? I think that was how they explained their looks and abilities back then.
Starfox and Thanos are Eternals. The Eternals and Deviants were the genetically altered humans created by the Celestials.

Thanos' is an Eternal, but his unsual appearance was caused by being born with a latent Deviant gene.

panco
03-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Starfox and Thanos are Eternals. The Eternals and Deviants were the genetically altered humans created by the Celestials.

Thanos' is an Eternal, but his unsual appearance was caused by being born with a latent Deviant gene.

I checked on Wikipedia you're 100% right, my bad.

UltimateFactor
03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Sooo...second coming is actually going to be Hope using awesomely cosmic level mind powers to go into all the mutant's minds and bringing them to their full potential not only allowing many to become Omega level, but to allow the X-gene to be born again, thereby both saving the mutant race and damning them by making them so powerful that just a few bad apples could end up destroying the world. Cool.

Thudpucker
03-07-2010, 07:02 AM
What is the range on Iceman's powers right now? How large an area has he effected, does anyone know?

I get that theoriticlly he could destroy a planet but has he ever pushed his power out beyond an average size room? A football field? A city block?

What's the most impressive thing he's done so far?

panco
03-07-2010, 07:04 AM

Growing ice hair. I think that's about it.

bartleby
03-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Hooking up with hot women despite the inevitable problem of cold-weather shrinkage.

Thudpucker
03-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Growing ice hair made from Havok's pee. I think that's about it.

Fixed.

Seriously though, he's been in hundreds of life and death fights where innocent lives were on the line. If the guy hasn't cut loose by now maybe he can't.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2010, 07:13 AM
He stopped a fusion bomb from exploding by freezing it to absolute zero (The point where all molecular motion stops) The bomb if it had detonated, could have destroyed the Earth.

Theoretically, Absolute Zero is possible, but has never been achieved by real world science.

panco
03-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Fixed.

Seriously though, he's been in hundreds of life and death fights where innocent lives were on the line. If the guy hasn't cut loose by now maybe he can't.

:rofl:

They tried to bring the character back on the front row not so long ago (with the Mystique romance arc) but it seems like the writers gave up on the character.
They gave up on every original X-men character that are not Cyclops.

Taxman
03-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Seriously though, he's been in hundreds of life and death fights where innocent lives were on the line. If the guy hasn't cut loose by now maybe he can't.My thinking is as follow. The dude couldn't do shit for decades, now all of the sudden he is crazy powerful. Shouldn't he be a DC character?

The Zevad
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
:rofl:

They tried to bring the character back on the front row not so long ago (with the Mystique romance arc) but it seems like the writers gave up on the character.
They gave up on every original X-men character that are not Cyclops.

It's like nobody but Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nieceza saw potential in Bobby. Mike Carey seems to dwindle in his interst when it comes to Bobby. Hell it was Scott who had Bobby and Rogue go on a road trip that first made me want the two characters want to hook up. And I wasn't the only one who picked up the connection as the X-Men movies emphasized on the Romance between Bobby and Rogue.

And in X-Men Forever (a spiritual sequel to Avengers Forever with all the time travel) Fabian showed how powerful Bobby could be. Bobby became a vapor being and froze the enviorment around him. Traveled great distances like his AOA counterpart. Freaking shame writers are too lazy or to bored with his character to tap that potential. Seriously it's like they hate him. Look what Bendis did with Bobby in House of M. He depowered him. Thank Goodness that was quickly retconned that Bobby lost his secondary mutation of being trapped in his organic ice form.

*SIGH*

Zac Goyette
03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I can absolutely see it. He was able to detect a telepath that was using his powers to make himself invisible by dropping the temperature and detecting the body heat. I thought reforming himself out of the moisture in the air was really cool also.

Leicester Dan
03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
When you think about it, he can basically exist without a body, take some water, turn it into ice, put his consciousness into that ice and then turn that ice into a human body. That's freakin amazing right there.

He could also make himself an ice body 40 stories tall, could hide himself inside others by putting his consciousness into some of the moisture in their bodies (and also take over their bodies by controlling all of the moisture), and could stop the Hulk in his tracks by turning him into a green ice sculpture. If he can form ice and turn it into his own body then why not sculpt the ice to look like someone else and do the same thing. He could look like anyone.

With a bit of imagination there's a whole load of stuff that he could do.

Ben Weldon
03-08-2010, 03:35 AM
I think the problem is writers thinking the way to make Iceman more interesting is to make him more powerfull.

The Zevad
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I think the problem is writers thinking the way to make Iceman more interesting is to make him more powerfull.

That's one step. For years they've been saying he's freaking powerful and not living to his potential power wise. And we've seen him barely scratch the surface of his powers. Also we've been subjected to alternate timelines and futures showing his potential.

They need to amp up the game. Show him master his powers once and for all.

They also need to evolve him past the class clown role he's stuck in.
I think its way freaking past time that they make Bobby a leader of his own team of X-Men. That will force him to reevaluate himself. He's stuck in a rut. Time to get him out of it kicking and screaming.

Also he needs to get a regular romance. He's been floating between Polaris/Lorna and Opal for freaking years. Create a love triangle between him, Rogue, and Gambit. Hell I'd love to see him hook up with Psylocke!!!

The Hodag
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Right.

And like I was saying in some thread the other day about Wolverine (talking about how his healing factor's gotten ridiculous since his inception), it's not his power level that makes me like him. It's the personality. Personality goes a long way. :)

For example, this guy's really just a ripoff of Iceman and his powers work exactly the same...

http://www.flasharcade.com/images/bigthumbs/Thin%20Ice.jpg

...but Frozone's instantly likable and fun and Iceman is poorly defined and forgettable.

Ryudo
03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm surprised that Jubilee is/was classified as Omega-level.

The Zevad
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised that Jubilee is/was classified as Omega-level.

Really? That makes no sense. No one's even hinted her powers could get that high.

Ben Weldon
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Really? That makes no sense. No one's even hinted her powers could get that high.

Well, in one of the books that lead up to the launch of Generation X, Synch used Jubilee's powers and vaporized a building. If i remember correctly.

Dreaded Anomaly
03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Well, in one of the books that lead up to the launch of Generation X, Synch used Jubilee's powers and vaporized a building. If i remember correctly.

Yes, that's true.

Jubilee had potential, but didn't ever live up to it herself.

PatrickA
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Mutant American please!

Buk, we aren't talking about a mutant who builds railroads here...

Alexander Hamilton
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Okay... From reading the thread (at least a good chunk of it), there are mutants and mutates.

So is "omega" a designation of power level? If so, are there "omega mutates"?

silverboy
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
If you use your imagination, any mutant can be an omega. It's whatever the writer wants.