PDA

View Full Version : Health related question...

silverboy
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed that I've never had this problem before:

Over the past two months, I've been working out and eating well, and I've lost over 30 pounds. A lot of people have been warning me that I'll put it back on once I start eating "normal" again. So, my question is, once I hit my goal (probably another 10-20 pounds), what changes do I make to transition from losing weight to maintaining weight? Do I run less, or for shorter periods? Do I eat more, or less healthy foods? It seems like a difficult line to walk.

Roman Noodles
03-06-2010, 02:08 PM
When trying to lose weight, the best thing you can do is make PERMANENT changes to your diet and exercise plans. So whatever your target weight is, you'll eventually find the perfect balance of diet and exercise that will allow you to stay at that weight. Just don't fall back into bad habits and you won't gain too much back as you regulate your diet.

But I'm sure others will have even more precise advice . . .

silverboy
03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
My fear is that if I continue with the changes I've already made, I'll lose more weight than I want to.

I AM GROOT!
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Definitely watch your diet. It's not necessarily about eating less calories, but more about what you're putting into your meals. Be sure that each meal consists of a proportionate amount of fats (not trans or saturated, though), proteins, and carbs, so that your body gets the nutrients it needs and doesn't cause your metabolism to crash (especially when you're planning on exercising).

As for exercise, I've found that I need to vary routines after awhile, or else my body gets used to the type of routine I'm doing, and I have to then try even harder to get the same results. Also, definitely combine cardio and weight-training; that's essential.

Hope that helps!

Roman Noodles
03-06-2010, 02:14 PM
My fear is that if I continue with the changes I've already made, I'll lose more weight than I want to.

Well that depends on what you are doing. Did you radically alter your diet and exercise rituals? If so, once you reach your target weight you'll have to make further changes in those habits to calibrate things. Whether it's taking in more calories or just taking in more of certain nutritents or possibly reducing the amount and intensity of your exercise. Or a combination of both.

I'm sure there are places online where you could find some precise guidelines for this. Sadly, it's not exactly a problem I myself struggle with. :lol:

Kedd
03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
My best advice is that you keep the eating changes you made but lighten up on the exercise

majorjoe23
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, keep eating well and work out a few times a week.

Kirblar
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
How big are you, how big were you, and how big do you want to be?

silverboy
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
How big are you, how big were you, and how big do you want to be?

My highest in December I was 197, I just weighed myself at 166, I'd like to see how I look around 150.

Jamie Coville
03-06-2010, 04:22 PM
This should help.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/subsection1_2_2_0_2.html#SECTION022020000000000000 0

It's part of a book called the Hacker's Diet. It basically brings dieting down to simple math. If you lost 30 pounds in the last 2 months you're hard core.

In short, your body naturally burns X-X range amount of calories per day. More if you're exercising. As long as you are eating the right amount of calories to match what you are burning you will maintain your weight. The above chart will tell you what your range is based on height and 'frame'.

silverboy
03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
If you lost 30 pounds in the last 2 months you're hard core.

Just got tired of being overweight and making excuses about why I didn't lose it. Nobody ever lost weight by being half-assed about it.

majorjoe23
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Just got tired of being overweight and making excuses about why I didn't lose it. Nobody ever lost weight by being half-assed about it.

If you only have half an ass, you don't need to lose weight.

Jamie Coville
03-06-2010, 08:50 PM
True. As I once quoted Yoda to a friend about dieting. "Do or do not, there is no try."
I put myself on a 1000 calorie a day diet but the most I lost was 7-8 pounds in a month. Although I wasn't exercising. It was massive lifestyle change to not eat chips, fast food and junk food all the time. But I did lose almost 100 pounds in a year.

batmanbooyah
03-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed that I've never had this problem before:

Over the past two months, I've been working out and eating well, and I've lost over 30 pounds. A lot of people have been warning me that I'll put it back on once I start eating "normal" again. So, my question is, once I hit my goal (probably another 10-20 pounds), what changes do I make to transition from losing weight to maintaining weight? Do I run less, or for shorter periods? Do I eat more, or less healthy foods? It seems like a difficult line to walk.

figure out what you were doing to have caused yourself to gain weight, and do the opposite.

it's REAL hard to gain weight, as it is to lose it. you gotta be not moving around much and eating a lot. people will say "i gained 30 pounds in a year!" and the reaction is "GOOD LORD!" but if you lose 30 in a year, it's whatever, eventhough it's the same amount of weight.

just cut out some junk food, stay active, and you won't gain it back. if you don't stay active then it'll slowly come back on over time.