PDA

View Full Version : I am not a goddamn babysitter.

WinterRose
03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Those of you out there who've ever worked phones, back me up on this. I HATE answering the phone at work and finding myself ear to mouth with a 6 year old translating for its parents.

First... I'm leery of talking to anyone's kids in the modern age anyway. The more distance between me and some possibly overprotective parent's kids, the better, you know?

Second, if I have to interact with someone's kids, I want a raise. A BIG ass one that reflects the hazard in interacting with a minor in a professional capacity.

Third, Learn freaking english you lazy ass parental stooges, and stop having your sesame street educated spawn be your translators.

UGH!

SteveFlack
03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
and stay in your own country!!!!!!!

Jason California
03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Your job seems to bring out a lot of bitterness.

Raphael J
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, you go talk to your boss about getting all that fixed. We'll be here when you have your answer.

Who knows, maybe you'll get tossed a fiver for your troubles.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Your job seems to bring out a lot of bitterness.

Yeah, it's this job that does that.

Queen of the Ban Age
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/dontdemon/photo-arpre-copruntry.jpg

panco
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, you go talk to your boss about getting all that fixed. We'll be here when you have your answer.

Who knows, maybe you'll get tossed a fiver for your troubles.

Ouch. I was going with "I hope your raise will cover your garage heating problems" but you were faster. Well done.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it's this job that does that.

I am attempting to be constructive. It does no good to tell Winter he is a bitter guy in general and people don't want to hear him bitch about things all the time. He will most likely only get more bitter and respond negatively.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Scientists should devote more money and research into building robots that can answer phones instead of wasting all their time on robots designed for fucking.

panco
03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I am attempting to be constructive. It does no good to tell Winter he is a bitter guy in general and people don't want to hear him bitch about things all the time. He will most likely only get more bitter and respond negatively.

So bitter is the new word for flat out racist?
Sorry to be super cheesy but that "learn english" comment is uncool to say the least.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry to be super cheesy but that "learn english" comment is uncool to say the least.

This is one episode. He is bitter in general. It comes out on a lot of topics.

chrisfasowned
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM

it's not racist. it's language-ist.

Raphael J
03-06-2010, 02:06 PM

I'd say the "Sesame Street educated spawn" is far more offensive than learn English.

But if I were him, I'd remain hopeful because I'm sure if these parents knew what kind of guy their kids were translating for, they'd probably never let their kids get on the phone. Or the internet. Or from going outside.

mike black
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
That's one massive sense of entitlement you've got there.

Artie Pink
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Those of you out there who've ever worked phones, back me up on this. I HATE answering the phone at work and finding myself ear to mouth with a 6 year old translating for its parents.

First... I'm leery of talking to anyone's kids in the modern age anyway. The more distance between me and some possibly overprotective parent's kids, the better, you know?

Second, if I have to interact with someone's kids, I want a raise. A BIG ass one that reflects the hazard in interacting with a minor in a professional capacity.

Third, Learn freaking english you lazy ass parental stooges, and stop having your sesame street educated spawn be your translators.

UGH!

Your boss should fire you. There are 50 people in today's economy who'd love to have your job. I'm sure they'd be happy there and wouldn't hold the customers to your high standards. They'd probably even earn a raise and a promotion.

Your company accepts the customers' money. You cash the paychecks. Do the job. You know - the job you applied for.

Seriously, WinterRose - If you can't succeed at this job, how do you think you'd ever cut it at a "better" one?

bartleby
03-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Your boss should fire you. There are 50 people in today's economy who'd love to have your job. I'm sure they'd be happy there and wouldn't hold the customers to your high standards. They'd probably even earn a raise and a promotion.

I bet they could even find someone who speaks both English and Spanish, so there'd be no need to have 6-year-olds translating.

Ray G.
03-06-2010, 02:29 PM

If you live in a country with a dominant language, it would probably be best for you if you know it.

If I went to Spain and refused to learn Spanish, I'd be quite the dumbass, no?

Beep Beep!
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Try speaking to a child who's translating Vietnamese for their parents. I'll take Spanish any day.

CapnChaos
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM

It's racist to expect someone to learn the common language of their adopted country the same way that generations of immigrants have done?

Rosdower 3.0
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
If you live in a country with a dominant language, it would probably be best for you if you know it.

:thumb:

Rosdower 3.0
03-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Phone center jobs suck, best of luck to you.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
learn the common language of their adopted country the same way that generations of immigrants have done?

That's probably not the case. The first generation of people who immigrated to the United States often didn't learn to speak English. It's their children and their children's children who learned English as a second and then first language.

That's a big part of why so many metropolitan areas have sections populated almost entirely by immigrants from specific countries. The people who founded those ethnic centers did so because it was easier to live as they had lived in their country of origin rather than adopt to the demands of a new country and language.

panco
03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
It's racist to expect someone to learn the common language of their adopted country the same way that generations of immigrants have done?

Of course not. I agree with you.

Yet, most of the immigrants try hard to learn english, it just happens that young kids have their way with learning new languages and master them faster than their parents.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I am not even sure why Winter put the babysitter thing in there. The parent is not making Winter watch the kid at all.

You also have to figure that since this is tech support there may be words the parent is not familiar with. They may just feel more comfortable having the kid go over technical details in order not to miss something important.

mike black
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I am not even sure why Winter put the babysitter thing in there. The parent is not making Winter watch the kid at all.

You also have to figure that since this is tech support there may be words the parent is not familiar with. They may just feel more comfortable having the kid go over technical details in order not to miss something important.

Winter just wants to feel superior to the people that call in and talk to him - as all phone jockeys do.

Artie Pink
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM

One would also be a "dumbass" to live in the big melting pot of the USA and apply for and accept a customer service representative job and then complain when the inevitable happens.

CapnChaos
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
That's probably not the case. The first generation of people who immigrated to the United States often didn't learn to speak English. It's their children and their children's children who learned English as a second and then first language.

That's a big part of why so many metropolitan areas have sections populated almost entirely by immigrants from specific countries. The people who founded those ethnic centers did so because it was easier to live as they had lived in their country of origin rather than adopt to the demands of a new country and language.

That's true. But most of them learned enough English to be able to function in society, or at least did not expect to be catered to outside of their niche area.

We're also in a time of our society where there are many different ways to learn the English language, many of them free. Classes at local community colleges or programs that can be obtained at local libraries, for example. Not to mention many internet sources of help. I'm a firm supporter of all of these, as it's in our common interest to assist new citizens in assimilation. Actually, since he brought it up, if I were in another country, about the first thing I'd do to learn the rudiments of their language is watch their version of Sesame Street. :)

Ultimate Lurker
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
The learning to speak English comments in this thread are pretty much equal to 'you can get a job if you really WANT to' comments about unemployed.

And the original post, what's with the paranoia about talking to kids on the phone at your job? Doesn't make any sense. Do you work at a sex line?

JamesV
03-06-2010, 03:36 PM
The learning to speak English comments in this thread are pretty much equal to 'you can get a job if you really WANT to' comments about unemployed.

And the original post, what's with the paranoia about talking to kids on the phone at your job? Doesn't make any sense. Do you work at a sex line?

That would lead to some wonderfully awkward translations!

CapnChaos
03-06-2010, 03:44 PM

I think it's kind of insulting to imply that a certain group of people lacks the capacity to learn a new language. In any case, I feel it's a poor analogy, seeing as how employment does have a cap to it, depending on economic development or conditions, but there's no limit to the number of people that can speak a language, except for the number of people that exist.

As for the second part... yeah, I agree with you on that one. :lol:

dmh3000
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I was actually expecting to hear a story about how you were on the phone with a kid for a few hours and then found out that the kid's parents were out the whole time.

CapnChaos
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I was actually expecting to hear a story about how you were on the phone with a kid for a few hours and then found out that the kid's parents were out the whole time.

Yep. When I worked customer service over the phone, I got a lot of calls from kids playing with phones. But most of the time I just asked them to give the phone to one of their parents to end the call.

I also had a few instances in which I had a son or daughter translating for someone else. But never someone as young as six. I could see how having to talk to a child that young and have them attempt to translate would be frustrating. If that happened, I would have transferred them to one of our Spanish reps. Or, as happened to me a few times, someone would call in that was speaking in more obscure language and we'd have to launch a three-way call with a translation service.

Jason California
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I hope Winter is not stuck on a long ass call because of someone and their broken English.

Jamie Coville
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I do call centre work to, including tech support.

I actually prefer to talk to kids. They know computers better than their parents most of the time. No stupid shit like "where is the any key?"

Beep Beep!
03-06-2010, 04:36 PM
This.

My former employer has a property in Southern Mississippi that closed for a year after Katrina. There was a relief fund for the employees that my department administered. I talked to way more Vietnamese speakers than Spanish speakers during that project. And they did the same thing the Spanish-speaking employees did in Nevada - hand the phone to a child who spoke English better than they did, when the questions got complicated.

Beep Beep!
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM

I actually prefer to talk to kids. They know computers better than their parents most of the time. No stupid shit like "where is the any key?"
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

CapnChaos
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM

So, so true.

Ray G.
03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
One would also be a "dumbass" to live in the big melting pot of the USA and apply for and accept a customer service representative job and then complain when the inevitable happens.

Well, yeah, but that point seemed to be covered already. :)

Whip
03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I answer calls for a living and no, I won't back you on this. Get off your high Gundam shaped horse.

mike black
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Is anyone really shocked at this thread?

Jason California
03-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Winter Rose probably will be.

jason hissong
03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I answer calls for a living and no, I won't back you on this. Get off your high Gundam shaped horse.

Ouch.

bartleby
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Is anyone really shocked at this thread?

I'm shocked by the brevity of the original post. Does that count?

Caley Tibbittz
03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I work a phone job. And some people drive me crazy:

People who talk REALLY LOUD for no reason.
People who are frustrated that no one is in the office they are calling on a weekend.
People who have exotic names that they expect me to just know how to spell.
People who blame me, the phone guy, for a bad order or a company policy they don't like. Like the phone guys make all the decisions.

But kids translating for their parents? If it works, I'm just glad to help. Honestly, there are days it's the only time I feel like my job even matters at all.

WinterRose
03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I know this job makes me bitter. I am actually looking for different work. *shrug* Racist I'm not. Perhaps a bit age-ist... I don't even hate kids. Some of them are actually refreshingly bright, and can provide fascinating conversation.

Some.

I just don't like being forced to interact with kids in a professional situation. This was not the deal.

I just need to find better work.

mike black
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Algo me dice que no es el trabajo que se está convirtiendo usted en sí mismo culo importante.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I know this job makes me bitter. I am actually looking for different work. *shrug* Racist I'm not. Perhaps a bit age-ist... I don't even hate kids. Some of them are actually refreshingly bright, and can provide fascinating conversation.

Some.

I just don't like being forced to interact with kids in a professional situation. This was not the deal.

OK. I am going to call bullshit. I have had lots of phone jobs. MCI, T-Mobile, Progressive, Time Warner, to name a few, and none of them told me I would only be talking to adults.

mike black
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
OK. I am going to call bullshit. I have had lots of phone jobs. MCI, T-Mobile, Progressive, Time Warner, to name a few, and none of them told me I would only be talking to adults.

No estaba en su descripción de trabajo! Fue llevado a creer que no sería más que los adultos! Esto no es justo!

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Quit your job then.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Some.

You don't get to pick who you get to talk to. You answer the phone, help them with their question and then say thanks and let them go.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
No estaba en su descripción de trabajo! Fue llevado a creer que no sería más que los adultos! Esto no es justo!

I guess he is not as smart as he would have us believe then.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I've heard there's a small chain of movie theaters in the midwest looking for a guy just like WinterRose to fill a VP opening.

Treacle
03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
You know...you should probably start a blog. Your posts have been chock full of personal drama lately.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I've heard there's a small chain of movie theaters in the midwest looking for a guy just like WinterRose to fill a VP opening.

www.carmike.com

bartleby
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
You know...you should probably start a blog. Your posts have been chock full of personal drama lately.

Not just lately.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM

But then the BenBo wouldn't see it and respond. You would make Mike Black's life a little more hollow.

Treacle
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
In response to the actual OP...I don't know what your job is, but when I worked phones (as a domestic violence crisis counselor and then as a rape crisis line counselor) we had access to a translation service. That might be something to suggest to your supervisors.

mike black
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
But then the BenBo wouldn't see it and respond. You would make Mike Black's life a little more hollow.

Escucha, sólo porque me aburro en el trabajo, y no actuar como un sombrero de asno no quiere decir que hay que decir! Estoy tratando de mi mejor aquí!

Treacle
03-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Quoted because I like it. :)

GelfXIII
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I like children. They go well with lemon butter sauce and a nice beaujolais.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 10:42 AM
un sombrero de asno

:lol:ita

RebootedCorpse
03-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Anytime I get a solicitor call, I tell my kids to get on the line and mess with them. It provides them with great fun.

mike black
03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
:lol:ita

I thought someone would approve.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I like how on American TV you can say Spanish cuss words and get away with it.

mike black
03-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Chupame penga!

GelfXIII
03-07-2010, 10:54 AM

There was a long period of time when none of the censors seemed to know what "puto maricón" meant. :lol:

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I thought someone would approve.

After I found a 6 year old to translate for me, it was wicked funny.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Wow, I actually got the callback to a previous post! This is about that thing where the woman didn't have cash and the theater vp lit into her and the horse she rode in on, right? I usually never get it when people make these kinds of references. Internet, I have arrived!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow, I actually got the callback to a previous post! This is about that thing where the woman didn't have cash and the theater vp lit into her and the horse she rode in on, right? I usually never get it when people make these kinds of references. Internet, I have arrived!

I am so happy for you today Jermaine.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Oy bubby, today you become a man!

gaspar
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Whine. Whine.

*Add to ignore list*

I know no one cares (and no one should), but between this, the $5 rant, and the pulling women thread, I'm done. My ignore list gets a +1 today.

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
*Add to ignore list*

I know no one cares (and no one should), but between this, the $5 rant, and the pulling women thread, I'm done. My ignore list gets a +1 today.

:lol:

Jason California
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
*Add to ignore list*

What the hell are you doing bring up a thread that is over a week old into this thread? They have nothing to do with each other!

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:41 PM
What the hell are you doing bring up a thread that is over a week old into this thread? They have nothing to do with each other!

我明白你也有!

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
*Add to ignore list*

You're risking future amusement sir.

gaspar
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM

No worries...

gaspar
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
You're risking future amusement sir.

True...I must take that into consideration... :D

R0cketFr0g
我明白你也有!

I'm all out of translator kids. Can we get a spare one from Siguy's marriage sweatshop?

Jason California
我明白你也有!

was that broken Chinese for I see what you did there?

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm all out of translator kids. Can we get a spare one from Siguy's marriage sweatshop?

Я слышу Macintosh просто дайте несколько идти.

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:46 PM
was that broken chinese for i see what you did there?

σιωπή! είστε καταστρέφουν την ψευδαίσθηση!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
σιωπή! είστε καταστρέφουν την ψευδαίσθηση!

You are really testing my ability to recognize foreign alphabets Mr. Wizard.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I took 12 credits of Russian in college so I recognized the earlier alphabet.

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM
you are really testing my ability to recognize foreign alphabets mr. Wizard.

الصرخة ، صرخة طفل. سوف فك كل منهم في نهاية المطاف.

TIP
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I took 12 credits of Russian in college so I recognized the earlier alphabet.

Change that to Russian 12 year old and I'll give you a :lol:eninita

Jason California
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
الصرخة ، صرخة طفل. سوف فك كل منهم في نهاية المطاف.

Like most things it is a matter of familiarity.

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
like most things it is a matter of familiarity.

हम करना चाहिए इसे और अधिक कठिन है, तो?

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Change that to Russian 12 year old and I'll give you a :lol:eninita

Why do you think I took Russian? There's money in human trafficking!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
हम करना चाहिए इसे और अधिक कठिन है, तो?

I am not sure about that. It seems to get easier as you go.

TIP
03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Why do you think I took Russian? There's money in human trafficking!

How do you say Tickle my Stalinitals in Russian?

mike black
03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
i am not sure about that. It seems to get easier as you go.

זאָל ס זען, דאַן. זאָל מיר טראַכטן פֿאַר אַ מאָמענט.

R0cketFr0g
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
How do you say Tickle my Stalinitals in Russian?

With the back of my hand.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Van Wilder had an iphone in his prequel. That is a bunch of bullshit. Nokia brick phones were the standard at the time this would have taken place.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 03:03 PM
זאָל ס זען, דאַן. זאָל מיר טראַכטן פֿאַר אַ מאָמענט.

I don't know who Zal is, or why he is a racist, but that reads a lot more esoteric than it probably is.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Zal Vunker?

mike black
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know who Zal is, or why he is a racist, but that reads a lot more esoteric than it probably is.

探し前夜を閉じると、子供。

Jason California
03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
探し前夜を閉じると、子供。

Now I am lost.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I know what you are saying, it just makes no sense. As long as you are doing it for the children I hope it is alright.

mike black
03-07-2010, 04:01 PM
i know what you are saying, it just makes no sense. As long as you are doing it for the children i hope it is alright.

당신의 언어 실패

Jason California
03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
당신의 언어 실패

fuck you Mike. I get lost on one post and you say I failed? I kept you entertained there for a good bit mother fucker.

mike black
03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
fuck you Mike. I get lost on one post and you say I failed? I kept you entertained there for a good bit mother fucker.

I WIN!

Yaaaaaaay!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I WIN!

Yaaaaaaay!

:mad:

Thudpucker
03-07-2010, 08:58 PM
:mad:

мы должны признавать небесконечное разочарование, но никогда не теряем инфинитное упование.

Jason California
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
мы должны признавать небесконечное разочарование, но никогда не теряем инфинитное упование.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

mike black
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM

не поощряют его! я выиграл! конец!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
не поощряют его! я выиграл! конец!

Don't worry Mike. I would bet money that there are people reading this that have no clue what is going on and have been lost from the start.

mike black
03-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Don't worry Mike. I would bet money that there are people reading this that have no clue what is going on and have been lost from the start.

懒人!懒得拉谷歌和转化为自己!

Jason California
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
懒人!懒得拉谷歌和转化为自己!

I think you give to much credit. Not everybody even thinks that far. The lowest denominator is always lower that I think it is.

Ultimate Lurker
03-08-2010, 05:04 AM
I think it's kind of insulting to imply that a certain group of people lacks the capacity to learn a new language. In any case, I feel it's a poor analogy, seeing as how employment does have a cap to it, depending on economic development or conditions, but there's no limit to the number of people that can speak a language, except for the number of people that exist.

As for the second part... yeah, I agree with you on that one. :lol:

You have no idea what the person's background is, how long they've been in the country, what steps they are taking to learn the language, etc.

People who say you can 'just get a job if you want' are grouping all the unemployed into one, lazy stereotype, and people saying they should 'just learn the language' are doing the same thing.

Blue Flash
03-08-2010, 06:07 AM
我明白你也有!

:lol:!!!!!!

germanflu
03-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Logical solution. Learn a new skill set and find a new career. Otherwise build a bridge and get over it, or under it. Whichever works for you.

Blue Flash
03-08-2010, 06:09 AM

:rofl:

DrMachine
03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree with you 100%, it is however perfectly fitting with the person who started the thread.

Greg S
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM

...AAAAAAAAnnd we have a winner!

:)

Dreg
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
This is worse than when God sent his kid to try and give me instructions.