PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in this book?

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
A Marvel Max book starring Luke Cage and Iron Fist in the style of 70's exploitation flicks. Done under the title Marvel Maxploitation?

Jason California
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Of course I would.

ZombieSpeedball
03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes, actually, I would fucking love that. Just something fun and crazy.

Briomega
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes yes yes yes yes! Now please!

Kingsumo
Does it make me a bad person if I say that I would love a series like that?

Matthew Brown
I'd write it!

dmh3000
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Sounds like it could be fun if it was done so over the top it was almost hilarious. Like All Star Batman and Robin level, or maybe further.

So is the book called Maxploitation?

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
This is one of three Marvel things I would love to pitch one day.

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Sounds like it could be fun if it was done so over the top it was almost hilarious. Like All Star Batman and Robin level, or maybe further.

So is the book called Maxploitation?

That's what I'd call it. Were it real.

Briomega
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
This is one of three Marvel things I would love to pitch one day.

One day? NOW!

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
One day? NOW!

If Marvel had an open submission policy I would. Jerks have to "invite" people to pitch

Briomega
03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
If Marvel had an open submission policy I would. Jerks have to "invite" people to pitch

Damn it! :mad:

Where are those damn eyes of the industry when you need them?

dmh3000
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm sure Bendis would be more than happy to tell Quesada to look at your pitch. Just pester him until he gives in, or get him hooked on something only you can provide.

Incidentally, I want to do a MAX series starring Blade where he goes around beating the crap out of sparkling emos. It'll be 40% deep story, 40% excessive violence and 20% gratuitous nudity. Also shit blowing up like Michael Bay's wet dream. Anyone interested?

DAVE
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Not really. Blaxploitation motifs and parodies are pretty played out, and also not really enough to base a series on. Eventually it becomes redundant.

Ashwin Pande
03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Hell yes. But not like Black Dynamite. Something more along the lines of Shaft or Superfly.

Stupendous Man
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Most definitely!

BClayMoore
03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
It's funny...one of the reasons we approached the (as yet unfinished...but we will finish it!) '76 the way we did is because I thought the over-the-top blaxploitation thing was a bit played out. So we tried to approach things from more of a "real world" direction, with traditional elements of blaxploitation and seventies cultural icons tossed into the mix, with real characters that extended beyond the kitschy expectations.

And, yet...that idea does sound fun.

Jim Rugg should do it.

http://www.hawaiiandick.com/jackie/pages/jackie28.jpg

-BCM

Kedd
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
It's funny...one of the reasons we approached the (as yet unfinished...but we will finish it!) '76 the way we did is because I thought the over-the-top blaxploitation thing was a bit played out. So we tried to approach things from more of a "real world" direction, with traditional elements of blaxploitation and seventies cultural icons tossed into the mix, with real characters that extended beyond the kitschy expectations.

And, yet...that idea does sound fun.

Jim Rugg should do it.

http://www.hawaiiandick.com/jackie/pages/jackie28.jpg

-BCM
'76 is one of the things that made me think about it. Love that book, by the way. I'd like to see Luke and Danny in a more grounded but still flamboyant exploitation setting. There are three characters that I think are prefect for that material Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Brother Voodoo.

ZombieSpeedball
03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
With guest appearances by Shang-Chi as the stereotypical kung-fu master who comes to town. He'll start off as a villain but then teams with the duo.

RickLM
03-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I would send one of the girls from my stable out to purchase such a book, then strike her violently her for being so slow about it.

ZombieSpeedball
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I would send one of the girls from my stable out to purchase such a book, then strike her violently her for being so slow about it.

I love this and I love you for this. Are you a villain from this proposed concept?

The Hodag
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd like to see a Marvel book set in the 70s that'd allow for appearances by all the most "70s" characters - Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Dracula, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Dazzler (technically she's 80s, but only because Marvel was so far behind the pop culture curve), and so on.

But I don't want it to be a MAX book - I generally don't want that of any Marvel superheroes. You look at some of Miller's best 80s work - Daredevil Born Again and Batman Year One - and I think you have a formula for gritty superheroes that doesn't rely on going hard R with a rating. I think that's the approach I'd want, and maybe not even that dark.

dmh3000
03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see a Marvel book set in the 70s that'd allow for appearances by all the most "70s" characters - Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang Chi, Dracula, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Dazzler (technically she's 80s, but only because Marvel was so far behind the pop culture curve), and so on.

But I don't want it to be a MAX book - I generally don't want that of any Marvel superheroes. You look at some of Miller's best 80s work - Daredevil Born Again and Batman Year One - and I think you have a formula for gritty superheroes that doesn't rely on going hard R with a rating. I think that's the approach I'd want, and maybe not even that dark.

What's wrong with MAX? I really like The Punisher books by Garth Ennis. It's my latest Graphic Novel addiction (Also addicted to Invincible, Fables and Ultimate Spidey). I mean yeah, sometimes the swearing gets a little excessive to the point where it's just boring, but it's still a good series.

RickLM
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
I love this and I love you for this. Are you a villain from this proposed concept?

Me: "You find the comic shop, bitch?"
Fifi: "I found it, Big Daddy. Full of white boys who ain't never seen a girl, though."
Me: "You talk to any of 'em?"
Fifi: "Hell no! Told one motherfucker to get some deoderant. Then I paid with a fifty. Ha!"
Me: "Ha!"
Fifi: "And they was even selling these green plastic rings. I guess so these boys can play superhero and shit. Ha."
Me: "And you didn't get me one? The fuck?"
[Big Daddy slaps Fifi across the face]

The Hodag
03-05-2010, 11:11 PM
What's wrong with MAX? I really like The Punisher books by Garth Ennis. It's my latest Graphic Novel addiction (Also addicted to Invincible, Fables and Ultimate Spidey). I mean yeah, sometimes the swearing gets a little excessive to the point where it's just boring, but it's still a good series.

Punisher's not really a superhero so he works pretty well in the MAX line, but it's just my philosophical approach to Marvel/DC superheroes that I don't want to see these characters dropped into full-on rated R comics. Not just because it leads to excess (though it does more often than not) but because it skews them too far beyond their all-ages origins.

I do think the line's had two successes the skirt the periphery of superheroes - Alias and The Hood - but they're rare exceptions.

dmh3000
03-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Punisher's not really a superhero so he works pretty well in the MAX line, but it's just my philosophical approach to Marvel/DC superheroes that I don't want to see these characters dropped into full-on rated R comics. Not just because it leads to excess (though it does more often than not) but because it skews them too far beyond their all-ages origins.

I do think the line's had two successes the skirt the periphery of superheroes - Alias and The Hood - but they're rare exceptions.

Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. Punisher's more of an Anti-Hero. That's why I said I wanted to do a Blade MAX series because honestly, he's a vampire hunter, so why not put him into a more horror series?

Spiderman saying Mother Fucker every sentence would probably be a turn off.

Bedlam66
03-06-2010, 01:41 AM
With guest appearances by Shang-Chi as the stereotypical kung-fu master who comes to town. He'll start off as a villain but then teams with the duo.
Don't forget about Misty Knight and Colleen Wing.

Zac Goyette
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes!

Drkemerld73
03-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I'd be interested in a guest appearance by Matt who sports a giant red afro.

:D

Kedd
03-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I'd be interested in a guest appearance by Matt who sports a giant red afro.

:D

If I could do this book, I would try to make it a mixture of 70's and today so that the exact time frame couldn't be determined. Kind of like in the 90's Batman cartoon, where people were sporting tommy guns and model T's, but also had wide screen TV's and computers. I like the idea of mixing eras.

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Personally I'd love for this book to be made. Except instead of Power Man and Iron Fist, it'd be Me and Kedd.

dmh3000
03-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Personally I'd love for this book to be made. Except instead of Power Man and Iron Fist, it'd be Me and Kedd.

Hey Kedd, you should do this. And then when the comic sells thousands of copies you could show Marvel you could do the sort of book you want to do when you pitch it. Also, it could be even better because you don't have to work with an editor.

I volunteer to be a baddie or goodie, whichever you want. I could be a little white nerd. It wouldn't be much of a stretch from reality.

Kedd
03-06-2010, 07:14 PM

I've often viewed us as a new age Luke Cage and Danny Rand. :)

Magnum V.I.
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I've often viewed us as a new age Luke Cage and Danny Rand. :)

:)

Kedd
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey Kedd, you should do this. And then when the comic sells thousands of copies you could show Marvel you could do the sort of book you want to do when you pitch it. Also, it could be even better because you don't have to work with an editor.

I volunteer to be a baddie or goodie, whichever you want. I could be a little white nerd. It wouldn't be much of a stretch from reality.

I'm actually working on something along those lines. Not too close, however.

Matthew Brown
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
If it's an original work now, switch it up! Make the white guy the blaxploitation hero and the black guy the kung fu hero.

ZombieSpeedball
03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Don't forget about Misty Knight and Colleen Wing.

True, true. And I feel Night Thrasher would be pretty cool to see.

ZombieSpeedball
03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh god cloak and dagger

Kedd
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh god cloak and dagger

I have such plans for Cloak and Dagger...