PDA

View Full Version : Parenthood Series Premiere

Big McLargeHuge
03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
So what'd you all think? I dug it quite a bit and appreciated the Avett Brothers love at the beginning. I did get a lot of deja vu with Peter Krause's running(Six Feet Under) and Lauren Graham's line delivery(Gilmore Girls). Thoughts?

BGPu
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
We watched the pilot last night. For a show that has been marketed as a "family show" during the Olympics it was kind of depressing. They really beat you over the head with certain things. The characters all seem pretty lightweight (the screw-up mom / the perfect dad who finds out his family isn't so perfect / the professional mom who realizes that her parenting is lackluster / the commitment-phobic brother who's suddenly thrust into being a dad). All they need is the token gay/lesbian sibling. Yet they're all tied together by the loving grandparents, and their palatial family compound, who have been through it all before.

It was decent and we'll stick with it for a couple weeks to see how it goes. Lauren Graham's character seemed to not suit her, like they didn't rewrite it from when Maura Tierney was cast in the role.

Ryudo
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I was surprised that this didn't have its own thread, with all the GG love on this board.

I enjoyed the show. It's definitely going to be more drama than funny, but it had some really nice moments in there. It's an addition to our DVR lineup.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I really enjoyed what I saw of it, the cast is fantastic. I missed a few parts though as I was flipping between it and NXT.

leviathan
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I really enjoyed it. The cast is brilliant and the stories seem like they could be interesting, if a bit cliche at times.

The Clone Ranger
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Crap. I forgot it was on. Are they going to be showing it again soon?

BGPu
03-05-2010, 10:23 AM

I believe they are showing it again Saturday night. And on the USA network sometime next week.

WhindamPryce
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I watched the first 20 min. Thought it was bland as hell. Turned it off.

bartleby
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I was surprised that this didn't have its own thread, with all the GG love on this board.

Not to mention that the showrunner is FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS's Jason Katims, and it was directed by Aaron Sorkin's usual director Thommy Schlamme.

Big McLargeHuge
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM

I watched it on Hulu, so there's always that.

Big McLargeHuge
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Not to mention that the showrunner is FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS's Jason Katims, and it was directed by Aaron Sorkin's usual director Thommy Schlamme.

Yeah, there's one serious pedigree behind the show.

Sarcastro
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I dug the episode. The cast is frickin' ridiculous. Looking forward to more.

shoelaceless
03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Like I said in another thread, the bay area references are really distracting to me. Not a bad episode though.

PatrickA
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Cast was great but the show was bland.

dougmac
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, there's one serious pedigree behind the show.

he's also done a lot of bad stuff too (pepper Dennis, the Pallbearer, Bionic Woman, Relativity, etc.). FNL is really Peter Berg's baby, the one time he took a step away was when Katims gave us Landry the murderer.

bartleby
03-05-2010, 12:50 PM
he's also done a lot of bad stuff too (pepper Dennis, the Pallbearer, Bionic Woman, Relativity, etc.). FNL is really Peter Berg's baby, the one time he took a step away was when Katims gave us Landry the murderer.

Peter Berg's busy with movies. He really hasn't been that involved with the series in a day-to-day capacity.

RebootedCorpse
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Meh

greg donovan
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
We watched the pilot last night. For a show that has been marketed as a "family show" during the Olympics it was kind of depressing. They really beat you over the head with certain things. The characters all seem pretty lightweight (the screw-up mom / the perfect dad who finds out his family isn't so perfect / the professional mom who realizes that her parenting is lackluster / the commitment-phobic brother who's suddenly thrust into being a dad). All they need is the token gay/lesbian sibling. Yet they're all tied together by the loving grandparents, and their palatial family compound, who have been through it all before.

It was decent and we'll stick with it for a couple weeks to see how it goes. Lauren Graham's character seemed to not suit her, like they didn't rewrite it from when Maura Tierney was cast in the role.

have you seen the movie Parenthood? it is a huge fucking downer at times.

nick maynard
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
it wasn't GREAT but i think it has the potential to eventually find its footing. with that much talent working on it, it's hard to believe it won't get better eventually.

Supreme Convoy
03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
The premiere didn't grab me liked I hope. I also had a different expectation since the commercials made it look light & fun whereas the actual show had more drama.

Though I'm still giving it a chance as I love Lauren Graham.

dougmac
03-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Peter Berg's busy with movies. He really hasn't been that involved with the series in a day-to-day capacity.

Not according to him. In a couple of podcasts with ESPN's Bill Simmons he talks about how he's very involved still and that's partially because FNL was his cousin's book and he told him he better not fuck it uop when he gave him the rights to it first for the movie, then for the tv show and partially because when he did step away a bit they got the LAndry and Tyra kill an attempted rapist and try to cover it up storyline.

Wigner's Friend
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
To me, it feel like they crammed a seasons worth of story lines into the pilot episode. It needs a little more Aunt May at the psychiatrist if I'm going to stay interested. There didn't allow any tension to rise. Instead, everything was just confronted at the moment of conception.

Everyone involved is way to talented to let this minor league storytelling continue though....I hope.

BGPu
03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
have you seen the movie Parenthood? it is a huge fucking downer at times.

It's been years since I've seen the movie. I seem to remember the jist of it being that life can be really rough, but if you have kids that makes it all worthwhile, or something like that.

Like other people have said, they really crammed a lot into the pilot, making the feel of the show overly ham-fisted and depressing.

"There's something wrong with my son!" says the perfect world dad, emphatically, to his wise father. In the darkened playground. In the rain.

It's a bit over the top...

Dan-C
03-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Watched it last night. It was solid. Not perfect or wonderful, but definitely solid. It hit all of the notes a family dramedy should hit. One part Brothers and Sisters, one part Modern Family. Shake and serve in a chilled glass.

I'll probably give it a couple more episodes to do something original.

Big McLargeHuge
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree it was overloaded, but it is the pilot episode. You need a pilot to get greenlit(unless you're J.J. Abrams), so you might as well just go apeshit.

BGPu
03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
We watched the second episode last night. A little funnier. Less of a downer. I kind of related to the one guy's obsession with the opossum, given my experience with raccoon invaders.

As a graphic designer, the subplot with Lauren Graham trying to land a job at the ultra-hip design agency was a bit laughable. "Wow! You did these 15-20 years ago without using any modern design tools/software? I am very impressed. We'll be talking to you again very soon."

Zeppe
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
For some reason our DVR hadn't been recording this (not sure if that is good or bad), but my wife and I watched this nights episode and WALLACE (from The Wire) is on this show now! My Wire loving heart was happy to see that kid on something else!

shoelaceless
11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
There's something very weird about the dialogue in this show. I don't know if it's unscripted, or if everyone is just encouraged to improvise and they aren't very good at it, but a lot of the characters sound exasperated and unnatural most of the time. Surprisingly, Dax Shepard manages to be one of the more believable actors on this show.

BGPu
11-16-2010, 07:44 PM
My wife and I watched this for a while but we dropped it a few weeks ago. It's a good show, but every single episode revolves around one of the Bravermans doing something (usually some mundane thing that is blown out of proportion for dramatic purposes) that deeply hurts one of the other Bravermans, and they spend the rest of the episode being mad at each other before making up because they love each other. And then the entire gets together at the end to cheer one of the kids on at a soccer match.

bartleby
04-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Why are more of you people not watching PARENTHOOD?

Kedd
04-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Why are more of you people not watching PARENTHOOD?
This sounds like a request that people currently watching the show stop...

Kedd
04-20-2011, 07:44 AM
At any rate, I honestly keep forgetting this sow is even on. I watched the first 6 or so episodes and found the show itself kind of boring, but I liked most of the actors so I pretty much forced myself to watch, hoping it would grab me at some point. No luck. The movie was on the other night though.

Ryudo
04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
It's a great show. I am enjoying the different arcs. It is hard to pull a show together with that many characters but I think they are doing a good job.

MayorMitch100
07-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Still good 5 years in.

The Governor
07-12-2014, 12:11 AM
We've watched it up to the end of series five. It's an odd show overall, most of the problems the characters have a real 1st world issues to deal with, although what's most impressive is that problems that take normal people years to sort out they resolve in an episode :D

It's incredibly unrealistic, with incredibly unrealistic relationships and personalities, but decent enough lightweight TV.