PDA

View Full Version : how far back can you trace your roots?

maverick-99
03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
So a thought occurred to me after reading A Game of Thrones.

Yes, I know it's fiction, but these characters and houses can trace their ancestors back thousands of years.

It was then that I realized I don't know anything about my relatives past my great-grandparents....on both my mother's and father's side. And I only met my great grandmothers from my mother's side. I heard stories about the other great-grandparents, but they were all passed away by the time I was born.

My father's mother's maiden name is Hogan. Her parents were Irish and lived in Spring Lake Park, Wisconsin. My grandmother was an only child. That's all I know.

My father's father was Norwegian. Our last name is Brown, but there is a cryptic story that it wasn't always Brown. His father or grandfather (or maybe even great-grandfather?) entered the United States illegally through Canada, and changed his name to Brown, for whatever reason. No clue what the name was before that (or if the story is even true). My grandfather had a brother, who I think has a son, but I never met him, and we lost contact with them after my grandfather died. My grandfather fought in WWII, but never ever spoke of it. (by the way, Brown is in the top ten of most common last names in the United States.)

My mother's mother's maiden Name is Jenson, also Norwegian. They lived on a farm in central Wisconsin. Her father died when she was a baby, that's all I know about that. She had one brother who passed away and he did not have any kids.

My mother's father's name was Peterson. Again, Norwegian. No idea if he had any brothers of sisters.

In short, I don't really know squat. I have a son, so my surname lives on for now, but part of me wishes I knew more about my family history.

So I ask you, how far back can you trace your family history? Is there anything interesting in there? Relatives that fought in the Civil War maybe or something? Do you even care?

Gregory
03-05-2010, 06:33 AM
My mom's family traced their lineage to leaving Dover in the mid-1600s. They roamed the south for decades and decades, owning slaves and marrying the natives.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
I'd like to know more. All I know is that my great (great?) grandfather had to change our last name when he came over from Poland.

HOOKS
03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Only a few generations back.

Doug
03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
To my scalp.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Gregory, I want reparation, right now.

My name is Kitrois Mubago (insert clicking sound here) Smith

Alex(sadly)Maleev
03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
My wife did this:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0413_050413_genographic.html

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-05-2010, 06:45 AM

:lol:

My dads side would probably be the easiest to find, my mom really has no idea about her side of the family.

Gregory
03-05-2010, 06:47 AM

If it makes you feel better, the family seemed to lose everything in Reconstruction. We became mill workers at least as early as the 1920s.

Jim T.
03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
My family are white trash mongrels only one generation removed from the bowels of NE Philly - I don't even think my grandparents know/knew much about their parents. I know my grandmother came from a small coastal town in England but she hated the place and never cared to look back :)

afroloq
03-05-2010, 06:50 AM
If it makes you feel better, the family seemed to lose everything in Reconstruction. We became mill workers at least as early as the 1920s.

Gimme what you got in your pocket and we can call it even.

TIP
03-05-2010, 06:54 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MwACklcy3xc/ShYOgKtf6cI/AAAAAAAAAo8/vZahe_GWJUA/s400/walken.jpg

Gregory
03-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Gimme what you got in your pocket and we can call it even.

Let's see. I've got a jump drive, a pen, and the keys to the shackles of my railroad workers. Nothing much.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Let's see. I've got a jump drive, a pen, and the keys to the shackles of my railroad workers. Nothing much.

Stop lying man...I tell ya, you people are always trying to get over!!

...wait...railroad workers?

Gimmie the keys.

Blue Flash
03-05-2010, 07:01 AM
If you have blue eyes... (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=189359)

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Not very far, I'm descended from Irish Immigrants who came to New York and Italian Immigrants who came into Newark and New York. Most people who emigrated here in the 19th and early 20th centuries weren't exactly blue bloods.

Gregory
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Gimmie the keys.

Are you gonna try to tame my little red love machine?

afroloq
03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Are you gonna try to tame my little red love machine?

Sure....just tell me where you are going wrong and I will deal with it.

panco
03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
http://www.michaelianblack.net/.a/6a00e54edada5e8833011279024f3128a4-800wi

The covers says it can be traced 25 years back.

dasNdanger
03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Pretty damn far. I know my dad's father was 100% Danish, and my mom's father was 100% PA Dutch/German. My dad's mother was a mix of English, German, French with a splash of Irish/Scot - basic stuff, and my mom's mother was Scottish (with a bit of English, Dutch (?) and African - probably from Senegal, I believe - according to one cousin's DNA test). So, basically, I'm a German Danish Scot, with a dash of African, and perhaps Dutch.

We can trace a lot of this pretty far back - my sister has done extensive research, as have many of our cousins. I know my maternal great-grandfather is related to Daniel Boone (a nephew, I believe), and my maternal great-great-grandmother was the half-sister (according to records) of President Teddy Roosevelt (the Dutch connection - seems someone in the Roosevelt family meddled with the servant body...literally ;) ).

My sister has family records for my maternal great-grandfather's family, going back to the 1600s. Here's an interesting story...

Back when England and Spain were fighting for dominence in Central America, my great x ??-grandfather, an Anglican (I believe) priest and a Scotsman, was sent - with his wife - to Panama in an attempt to set up a British settlement there. The Spanish drove the British out, so they came north and their ship anchored off of what is now Charleston, SC. There was a church in Charleston that had no minister to look after it, and though it was a different denomination, my great x ??-grandfather agreed to go ashore and help them out. His wife and a handful of others came with him. While on shore, a hurricane hit, and the ship they were on sank, killing most if not all aboard. So, my great x ??-grandfather's first duty as a priest/minister on American shores was to oversee the burial of his fellow passangers. (My sister has the records and the account and I haven't seen it in years, so that's why I'm sketchy on some of the details). Anyway, that is how my great-grandfather's ancestors made it to Charleston, where the family lived for generations until moving north in the early 1900s.

My paternal grandmother also had excellent family records, many dating back to the 1600s. So, for the most part, I can trace much of my family on both sides back 300-400 years. The African heritage was the last thing we discovered, the missing piece that prevented us from learning more about my maternal grandmother's ancestry, but once we found it - and connected with our cousins who kept excellent records - a whole new world opened up to us. It's all helped me to appreciate where I came from, and the sacrifices - both willing and unwillingly - my ancestors made, all of which eventually made it possible for me to be here.

das

greg donovan
03-05-2010, 07:16 AM
i can trace back to ireland in early 1800's.

DAVE
03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Not too far on either side. On my mom's I know of both sets of great-grandparents. They were all born in America, which is pretty rare for Jews to have American roots that far back. I'm looking, both my grandfathers were fighting for the US in WWII, and not stuck as prisoners in Europe.
On my father's side I know even less, because he was adopted. We've got some theories about him, but that's all.

But I'm of Polish and Russian descent, as far as I know.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 07:28 AM
I never really traced my father's roots since he passed right after I was born and I never really got acquainted with his family suffice to say they are from Delaware.

However I have traced my grandmother's line back to Darlington, South Carolina and my grandfather's line back to Marlboro County back to the original slave owners who brought his ancestors over from West Africa in the early 1800's.

I actually met an elderly gentleman who was a patient at the hospital where I worked back in the 90s who had the exact same last name (it's a rare last name so anyone I run into, we compare notes) as I who quite possibly was a descendant of the owners.

He was raised in the same area of South Carolina and loaned me a book that showed me the lineage.

His kinfolk came to the US from England and settled along the Carolinas all the way up to Virginia.

maverick-99
03-05-2010, 07:51 AM
i can trace back to ireland in early 1800's.

What part? Being that my grandmother's maiden name was Hogan, I can assume that my roots can be traced back to the North Eastern corner of Thomond, which is now called Tipperary.

maverick-99
03-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Now that's pretty interesting, dasNdanger! That's the sort of stuff I wish I knew about my family!

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
My mom claims we've got some sort of relation to George Washingtons wife, but as for solid proof of that, she has none.

Ultimate Lurker
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I go back to Sir Francis Drake's nephew, named Francis Drake, who was given all his titles and inheritance. It was so large, my great-mother received some of it from her parents, I believe.

So basically, I'm related to a legendary pirate from almost 500 years ago.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I go back to Sir Francis Drake's nephew, named Francis Drake, who was given all his titles and inheritance. It was so large, my great-mother received some of it from her parents, I believe.

And, you aren't even in the game...man...

DAVE
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Yo motherfucker. I'm holding you responsible for the burning of St. Augustine, FL.

Treacle
03-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Great-grandparents on my Mom's side, great-great grandparents on my Dad's side.

Before that...nothing. It kind of makes me sad when I hear other people talking about how far back they can trace their roots because that kind of information will never be accessible to me.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Great-grandparents on my Mom's side, great-great grandparents on my Dad's side.

Before that...nothing. It kind of makes me sad when I hear other people talking about how far back they can trace their roots because that kind of information will never be accessible to me.

Nothing in vital records or any courthouse records??

Treacle
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Nothing in vital records or any courthouse records??

Nope.

Andrew
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
On my mom's side I can trace back to the late 1500s. One of my direct ancestors was among the first settlers in Canada.

On my dad's side I can only go back to Great-Grandparents and one Great-Great-Grandmother based on the account of my Grandfather. WW2 fucked things up enough that it's unlikely I'll ever be able to find out more about my roots on my dad's side.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Nope.

Crap...:nonono2:

I feel for you.

Ultimate Lurker
03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
And, you aren't even in the game...man...

I had to google what you were talking about. No PS3 here. :D

Also, my wife's maiden name is Huguenard, which goes back to the Huguenot line, supposedly. Her mother's side can trace back to a John Tudor Sr from Wales in the late 1600's.

Brad N.
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
My Dad's Dad has gone back and traced our family tree to the early 1400's in Sweden. Of course it's only 1/4 of my heritage (I'm also Norwegian, Irish, and German) but it's still pretty neat to see birth records and tombstones going back centuries. My Grandfather got a wild hair up his ass in his 50's to know where he came from and has spent years traveling all over to find out. In addition to trips to Sweden to visit his distant cousins he found a closer cousin he never knew about in Australia. The guy was also in Sweden looking up info on HIS family tree! A couple of years ago he flew said cousin here to the U.S. for a mini family reunion and it was there I got to take a nice picture of 4 generations of Nelson first born sons (My Grandpa, Dad, Me, and my son).

After watching the AWESOME PBS series Know Thyself I have an urge to know even more about my other lineage.

NickT
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
1850s, maybe late 18th century.

germanflu
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, my grandfather was racist. So, where and when did racist white people originate again? It's on the tip of my tongue. ummmmm...

GelfXIII
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Moses.

dasNdanger
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Moses.

Adam. I win. :D

das

GelfXIII
03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Adam. I win. :D

das

dammit. :mad:

dmh3000
03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
For my grandfather's side, I can go back to the first settlement of australia. All other parts of my family I can usually go back six or seven generations.

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Not very far. I know about as far back as my Dad's grand father (I know his name was Lazarus, He was a fire and brimstone preacher, and he use to take liquid shoe polish, drain it through two loaves of bread and drink it for the alcohol. Very little prior to that. There is a tiny town in Alabama that is made up almost entirely of my relatives though.

Magnum V.I.
03-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Not very far. I know about as far back as my Dad's grand father (I know his name was Lazarus, He was a fire and brimstone preacher, and he use to take liquid shoe polish, drain it through two loaves of bread and drink it for the alcohol. Very little prior to that. There is a tiny town in Alabama that is made up almost entirely of my relatives though.

Kedd. I am your Father.

And your Cousin.

Kedd
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Kedd. I am your Father.

And your Cousin.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo!

Stupendous Man
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
The first of the Halls came over prior to the revolutionary war.