PDA

View Full Version : So, Fallout 3 was a good game but...

afroloq
03-05-2010, 04:36 AM
after watching Terminator Salvation, how hard would it be for Bethesda to make a Terminator RPG game based on this post apocalyptic setting?

sbeasley
03-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Or they could just do more Fallout....

xyzzy
03-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Why would they want to?

afroloq
03-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Why would they want to?

Why not? I am thinking that if Bethesda had access to the Terminator license, they would have a great setup in which to implement the lore into the game and possibly make it better than the movie.

MabusRex
03-05-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm still waiting on the Book of Eli expansion pack.

NATE!
03-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Why not? I am thinking that if Bethesda had access to the Terminator license, they would have a great setup in which to implement the lore into the game and possibly make it better than the movie.

They already did a Terminator game once. Terminator: Future Shock.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/5/198915/terminat_790screen004.jpg

afroloq
03-05-2010, 05:52 AM
They already did a Terminator game once. Terminator: Future Shock.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/5/198915/terminat_790screen004.jpg

Aw dag..you're right....mid 90's right?

Sheesh, just think if they had the license now...

NATE!
03-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Aw dag..you're right....mid 90's right?

Sheesh, just think if they had the license now...

Yup. If I remember correctly, it was nothing special.

It's depressing that every game using this license has sucked, with the possible exception of T2: Arcade.

xyzzy
03-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Can't see them investing in IP they don't own when they have a perfectly successful game based on IP they do own.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 05:59 AM
It was just wishful thinking...

Cth
03-05-2010, 06:34 AM
As long as the Heavy Rain guys do the next Blade Runner game ;)

The Terminator 4 game was one of the worst games I've played in the last ten years, btw :D

Adrian B AWESOME
03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Because I know at least I prefer games with some kind of humor and lightheartedness as opposed to the incredibly dark, depressing and hopeless world of Terminator.

Blue Flash
03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
it would be a boring game: Bethesda games are what they are because of the diversity of characters, locations and circumstances.

Terminator affords a limited range of robots.

Blue Flash
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
As long as the Heavy Rain guys do the next Blade Runner game ;)

The Terminator 4 game was one of the worst games I've played in the last ten years, btw :D

See, now I could image Bethesda (or perhaps more obviously, BioWare) doing a Blade Runner game just as well.

xyzzy
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Here's the thing - the Fallout 3 engine is fine, but it's not what makes Fallout 3 a great game. The reason people love Fallout is the world that Bethesda (and Black Isle) created for you to explore.

sbeasley
03-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Because I know at least I prefer games with some kind of humor and lightheartedness as opposed to the incredibly dark, depressing and hopeless world of Terminator.

And if Fallout was anything, it was lighthearted.

afroloq
03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Here's the thing - the Fallout 3 engine is fine, but it's not what makes Fallout 3 a great game. The reason people love Fallout is the world that Bethesda (and Black Isle) created for you to explore.
Well, like I said, it was just wishful thinking, but a melding of the company and franchise for this console generation would have made possibly for a brilliant game.

Matthew Brown
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
And if Fallout was anything, it was lighthearted.

Hey, that game is hilarious.

Ultimate Lurker
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey, that game is hilarious.

I just nuked an entire town! I'm addicted to meds! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

artimoff
03-05-2010, 07:45 AM
I'd rather have a Fallout movie than more Terminator movies.

Akira
03-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I have it at home right now from gamefly cause I heard it was an easy platinum :)

:surrend:

Cth
03-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I have it at home right now from gamefly cause I heard it was an easy platinum :)

:surrend:

It is :D

I got 1000/1000 on it in 3 hours :D

So, Terminator Salvation..

In a word: Wow.

And that's not a good wow either.

Seriously, the reviews saying it's a short game were right. 3-4 hours max.. on hard even.

No offense if anyone here worked on it, but the one good thing I will say about it is that they pioneered a new game genre -- the on-the-rails-3rd-person-shooter.

Anyone who complains about Halo being a collection of hallways should stay away from Terminator otherwise their head might implode.

The story?

If you really want "SPOILERS"

Connor receives a distress call of some humans at a Skynet facility. His superior refuses to get them, Connor goes on his own, joined by Blair (from the film). A Lord of the Rings type walking journey ensues. Walk, walk, walk, shoot, shoot, shoot, walk, walk, walk. You rescue them. THE END.

Anyways, let me break it down further..

THE AI.

The big game mechanic is the whole flanking thing. It's drilled into you non-stop by the voice-overs. Even more so, considering the AI won't do it -- it's up to you -- the one man human resistance to stop Skynet single handedly.

THE LEVELS.

Alternating between levels where you walk along a straightforward path (unless you choose to flank.. No really, they line up road pylons for you to hide behind in an L-shaped pattern around the engagement area.. if you fail to recognize that cover, sometimes they'll throw in a set of stairs and a path. I say path because most of the buildings are destroyed/inaccessible and the sole reason for the area is for you to get behind the robots.) and on the rails shooters.

Almost all of the levels start out transitioning from underground to above or vice verse. Little variety. Little reasoning. "See that tower? Let's climb it so we can see where Terminators are and avoid them. What? An HK followed us? SHOCK! Let's destroy it so we can go into the sewers."

Maybe I've been learning too much about game design, but it seems like they designed the areas to buffer while they load later areas.

THE SCARIEST THING ABOUT THE FUTURE?

In the future, you won't be able to walk anywhere you want. Ditches are the new Laurentian Abyss. Potholes are the new ravines. Foiliage is apparently radioactive. etc, etc.

Also, the AI can kill you with one hit.

Seriously.

Get too close? Game over.

Queue the load screen (a 3d Terminator head you can rotate --- ooooooooo!)

MULTIPLAYER

You get split screen local play only.

CUTSCENES

In game engine.

BONUS INFO

Just in case it's not clear, Bale refused to lend his likeness or voice to the game (no big deal considering all the other drama that goes with the movie but that's another thread)

At least you can get 1000 gamerpoints quick. I don't think I've seen less effort put into a movie tie-in EVER. It seems clear it was rushed to market to me.

Akira
03-05-2010, 08:16 AM
It is :D

I got 1000/1000 on it in 3 hours :D

Nice! I know what I'm doing tomorrow :) Well for a little while anyway

Matthew Brown
03-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I just nuked an entire town! I'm addicted to meds! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know! Comedic gold.