PDA

View Full Version : Hey Stargate fans! I just won tickets to Stargate 2010. WTF do I do now?

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
The competition was something along the lines of "why do you wanna go in 25 words or less" and as a goof I said something like I love RDA like Patty and Selma. Then BOOM! I get an email saying I won tickets to the thing tomorrow.

http://www.thehubproductions.com/events/stargate-2010/home

I love Stargate but I've never even been to anything like this. What happens? What do I do? Are there any rules I need to keep in mind? How do you stop yourself from fucking drooling over and gushing at the sight of MacGyver? What the fuck happens now?

Oh and the fucking creepy part... its right where I work which is a 10 min walk from my house. The building where its gonna be at is right next door where my office is. I thought I'd have to travel far. I thought I might even have to book a flight to Melbourne.

Jason California
03-04-2010, 05:10 PM
So this is like a Trek convention?

Howlett
03-04-2010, 05:10 PM
You. Jammy. Bastard! :D

CapnChaos
03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
You show up dressed as MacGruber and heckle until you're thrown out.

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
So this is like a Trek convention?

No idea. I've never been to any sort of convention. I'm kinda creeped out knowing that in less than 24 hours I'll be in the same building as MacGyver and Teal'c and the Farscape dude some other guys.

You show up dressed as MacGruber and heckle until you're thrown out.

Oh shit this would be awesome. I wish I had the balls to do it :p

Bedlam66
03-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Just show up have a good time and try not to hump anyone's leg. You'll be fine.

CapnChaos
03-04-2010, 05:35 PM
No idea. I've never been to any sort of convention. I'm kinda creeped out knowing that in less than 24 hours I'll be in the same building as MacGyver and Teal'c and the Farscape dude some other guys.

Oh shit this would be awesome. I wish I had the balls to do it :p

Ben Browder's gonna be there? Awesome!

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Ben Browder's gonna be there? Awesome!

Yeah its a pretty good lineup. Claudia Black too and Trip from Enterprise and some other dudes.

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Here's what you do...

If you see any Wraithy sorts, take pictures for me! :D Or...better yet...snatch 'em and send 'em to me! :D

Have fun!

das

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Here's what you do...

If you see any Wraithy sorts, take pictures for me! :D Or...better yet...snatch 'em and send 'em to me! :D

Have fun!

das

Hahaha I'll try my best to kidnap any Wraiths in attendance. Connor Trinneer is gonna be there but he probably won't be wearing the whole Wraith outfit + makeup.

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah its a pretty good lineup. Claudia Black too and Trip from Enterprise and some other dudes.

'Trip' - or Connor Trinneer - played Michael the Wraith in SG:Atlantis. He was kidnapped by the Lanteans, stripped of his Wraith DNA and memories and turned into a human - TWICE - even after he begged them not to take away his identity again...and so he went mad and turned into a villain...and the Lanteans never acknowledged the role they played in his onset of madness. Needless to say, that is one problem I had with the series, and why I'm so very sympathetic to the Wraith. If you meet Connor, tell 'im there's this crazy lady in the US who wishes Michael had sucked the life out of every last meddler from Earth!

God...now I sound insane. :p

das

Jason California
03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Connor also played a wraith in Atlantis.

greg donovan
03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
'Trip' - or Connor Trinneer - played Michael the Wraith in SG:Atlantis. He was kidnapped by the Lanteans, stripped of his Wraith DNA and memories and turned into a human - TWICE - even after he begged them not to take away his identity again...and so he went mad and turned into a villain...and the Lanteans never acknowledged the role they played in his onset of madness. Needless to say, that is one problem I had with the series, and why I'm so very sympathetic to the Wraith. If you meet Connor, tell 'im there's this crazy lady in the US who wishes Michael had sucked the life out of every last meddler from Earth!

das

now?

;)

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
now?

;)

I was wondering who the first one would be. I'm actually glad it was you, and not Travis.

das

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM

das

I've watched Atlantis on and off and I remember watching those episodes thinking "that shit's messed up" I was on Trip's side the whole time.

By the way, this stuff from the etiquette page makes me a little nervous.

http://www.thehubproductions.com/events/stargate-2010/etiquette

We've compiled a list of common convention etiquette and rules that we'd like you to follow this weekend when you meet the event guests. Many conventions have similar, though often unspoken, rules for their events. If you are unsure about anything on the day, don't hesitate to ask a Hub staff member. They're there to help.

1. Do not ask for hugs or kisses.

Not only is this an invasion of their personal space but it's not fair if you get one and everyone else misses out. It is simply too draining for the guests to give them to everyone. Please do not think, "Oh it won't hurt if I just ask, its only one person..." There are no exceptions for this rule. People asking for hugs and kisses will be removed from the event, without refund of their tickets. Be considerate!

2. No inappropriate touching of the guests whatsoever

e.g. grabbing them on the bottom etc. This is unacceptable on many levels and once again, anyone caught doing so will be removed without refund.

3. Do not ask self-centred questions

Our guest celebrities take questions from the audience during their on-stage time. Ask questions that everyone (including the celebrity!) will find enjoyable, interesting and entertaining. Asking for hugs, telling stars we love them, giving gifts and getting into long personal stories etc is not acceptable at these kinds of conventions. It is, in fact, quite self-centered when you are in essence "representing" all of fandom to a celebrity.

4. Please refrain from asking the quests questions about the following:

Sex, finances, politics, personal religious beliefs or personal relationships. These are very touchy and personal subjects and can make the guests uncomfortable. Also, should you ask a question and the guest seems uncomfortable about it, or dodges the question, then please leave it alone. They do not have to discuss anything that they do not wish to.

5. Please do not ask the guests to remove their shirts

or any other item of clothing. We know they are very pretty and look good shirtless but this is inappropriate.

6. Try to keep the questions as short and as clear as possible

and speak clearly so as to not confuse the guests (it can be awfully hard to hear in a room full of excited people). Make sure that the question you ask is about something that everyone will enjoy hearing about. Make sure you don't repeat questions. Think of something else or let someone else have a turn.

7. Please do not ask the guests for autographs and photographs outside the official autograph and photographs sessions

as this puts them in a difficult position. They probably just want to have lunch, a chat or a rest without 'working'.

8. And finally, please listen to the Hub staff at the events.

They are there to help you and make the event run smoothly. They do not get a kick out of bossing people around. If they ask you to do something, it is for a reason. And the more smoothly the day runs, the better it is for everyone as you will get more time with the guests during one-on-one times such as autographs. This definitely keeps everyone in a better mood. So if a staff member tells you something, please listen and do as they say.

Its like when they say "don't do this" you end up wanting to do it even more.

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Its like when they say "don't do this" you end up wanting to do it even more.

Sooooo...you wanna ask Claudia Black to take her shirt off... ? :mistrust:

;)

das

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Sooooo...you wanna ask Claudia Black to take her shirt off... ? :mistrust:

;)

das

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

2. No inappropriate touching of the guests whatsoever

e.g. grabbing them on the bottom etc.

But with Ben Browder.

Wait... what?

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of this:

But with Ben Browder.

Wait... what?

Okay. Now you're officially creepier than me. :D

das

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Okay. Now you're officially creepier than me. :D

das

Hey I was just kidding!

I really meant to say RDA.

dasNdanger
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey I was just kidding!

I really meant to say RDA.

Oh. Well THAT I understand. ;)

das

TheFalcon
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Ask Teal'C about furries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhiC59H8Mzg

:D

EasyE726
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Hit on Edward James Olmos.

dasNdanger
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM

:rofl: !!!!! Hilarious!!

das

leafinsectman
03-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey das! Sorry, no Wraiths in attendance but can I interest you in this?

http://danielpua.com/wp-content/uploads/Chris_Judge_shirtless.jpg

I'll post more pics when I get around to uploading the others. Here's what I can remember of the Q&As...

Chris Judge & Dan Shea

The Q&A started with Dan challenging Chris to knuckle pushups. Dan took off his shirt and got to work then Chris took off his shirt and started doing pushups as well. Dan had all sorts of muscles, like he was a comic book character. (No pics but I got it on video.) Everyone went nuts, great job warming up the crowd. Eventually they both stopped and called it a tie. Chris later poured water on his head to cool down, the audience loved it.

Someone asked if they were fans of their show or if they were more Trekkies and they both said they grew up watching Star Trek whereas its a bit weird to be a fan of your own show.

Chris talked about how he was at the Star Trek DVD launch and how he thought he would be able to talk to Shatner and Nimoy since he's also an actor now but he was still nervous and couldn't quite walk up to them and shake their hand because it was Kirk and Spock. Then he mentioned wanting to shake Zach Quinto's hand since they were both more recent sci-fi actors but was surprised at how tall he was (even though Chris himself is tall) so that ended up making him shy just like with Shatner and Nimoy.

Chris said that Teal'c and his mannerisms were an homage to Spock, like his eyebrow raise, and he wanted to tell Nimoy this. But it was unclear whether he actually got to talk to Nimoy.

Someone asked how they came up with the names for the Goua'uld weapons (like the zat'nik'tel) and they said they usually just put a bunch of consonants together and get Chris to try and pronounce them since he was the Jaffa.

Dan said when he actually was assigned some lines to say out loud in the show, someone's phone kept ringing as he was about to say his lines and RDA would get annoyed and turn to the staff and say "I want names!" As it turned out, it was RDA fucking with Dan and making his phone ring whenever Dan would get up and say his line.

Chris had a lot of ideas for episodes during the first few seasons but said that no one would take him seriously since he was always showing up late.

Not sure how much of this is truth but Chris mentioned being hungover a lot during the early years and that his trademark "indeed" remark was because that was all he could muster at the time because he was so hungover.

Dan was hilarious which I didn't expect since I haven't really seem much of him. He had a ton of other funny stories about random episodes and the stuntwork he did and whatever else. Whenever the Q&A would drift into more 'adult' territory, Chris would come up with some sort of explanation that the kids in the audience would understand.

They were both very funny throughout the Q&A and were slightly disappointed that it had to end since it seemed like they were having fun. Dan was probably the funniest during the day, I saw him later on at my office building doing a promo for Sci-fi I think.

Claudia Black, Ben Browder and Gigi Edgley

This was more of a Farscape centric Q&A but they still talked about Stargate a little. It wasn't as funny as the other Q&As but still enjoyable and it gave a lot of insight into their lives during Farscape and Stargate.

Claudia couldn't believe its been 10 years since the start of Farscape.

When asked what the difference was between Australian and Canadian fans, Ben said Australians are like Canadians with attitude. He mentioned that Canadians are very polite and said that even if you ran them over, they'd get up and apologise to you whereas Australian pedestrians would almost taunt drives and dare them to run them over.

Ben thinks Daniel Jackson is gay because he didn't want Claudia's character and felt like saying to him something along the lines of "hey, if you don't want her I'll take her."

They're planning some Farscape webisodes but it all depends on stuff like the Aussie dollar exchange rate and other things like that.

Someone asked Ben how it was like to be in a show with two sexy Aussie women and how his wife coped with it. He mentioned that his wife is an actress and that she has appeared in the show as four different characters. He said his wife asked the producers if she could guest star so she could check up on him to see if he was up to no good.

Ben and Chris Judge seem to be great buddies. They repeatedly mentioned each other throughout their Q&As and I saw them outside together a few times when they weren't on stage.

Trip & Zelenka

They were lots of fun throughout the Q&A but it seemed a bit short, maybe to make up more time for RDA.

They mentioned both being initially hired as a one off guest star but ended up with recurring roles.

Zelenka said he says a lot of things (and a lot of it is cursing) in his native language and it always gets past the censors since they don't know what he's saying but that Atlantis doesn't air in his country because of that.

Trip kept bringing up his death on Enterprise and Atlantis. Not many asked about Enterprise although Trip himself mentioned being brought back in the novels although no one seemed to know what he was talking about. Wouldve loved more Trek chatter but they were mainly Stargate/Farscape fans.

Before the Q&A I saw Zelenka sleeping on a bench near the building where my office is while his kids were running around the Library Lawn. Initially I thought he was some random drunk guy.

Both agreed that Atlantis ended too soon and they could've kept going but Trip said he was already dead so it didn't matter as much to him.

The ladies loved Trip. Some kid asked Trip something along the lines of what was the best thing about playing a Wraith and he said the ladies love it.

MacGyver

First off, he admits he's gained weight because he's retired now. He looks smaller than in the MacGruber sketch, apparently they put padding on him (I didn't know this). He looks a bit like Bruce Campbell in Burn Notice, they should team up.

He says he wishes there was another Stargate movie so he will be motivated to work out and lose weight.

When told about Chris and Dan's pushup contest, he said "Dan took his shirt off, right?"

Exactly like Jack O'Neill, no difference from his character on TV and him during the Q&A. He was very easily distracted and was constantly fidgeting and some other mannerisms which the audience loved.

Some kid was on his way out of the room and he stops talking to ask him if he's going to the toilet. The kid might've been a bit embarassed by that so RDA specifically went up to him after the Q&A and said some things, hopefully that cheered him up.

Had a bunch of things in his pocket, one was a squeeze ball thing and he kept playing with it. While he was taking out all the crap from his pocket, someone yells out "are you gonna make something?" and the whole room erupts.

Doesn't know any Stargate related trivia, couldn't answer the nerdy questions (but he was funny in not answering). Someone asked if he knew what "kree" meant (as in "Jaffa, kree!") and he had no idea what the guy was talking about. And a few other things, but it was funny and the audience quickly got it.

Loves Community as well as Parks and Rec. Loves MacGruber but doesn't know how the movie will work since the whole thing of MacGruber is that they blow up.

Someone asked if he could go back in time and get rid of one character from the beginning of SG1 who would ut be. He couldn't think of anyone. Then someone in the audience yells "Dan Shea" and everyone was like WTF?!? It turned out to be Dan Shea and RDA laughed.

Was asked what was the hardest stunt he had to do and he said "getting out of bed and going to the set" and mentioned that Dan Shea deserved a lot of credit with his work as the stunt coordinator and stunt double, making it very easy for RDA. He mentioned that they punished Dan Shea so much that he didn't look like RDA anymore.

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of other stuff.

Haha shit that's funny! The crowd here in Sydney was a bit more subdued than I expected. I think the closest was when Chris mentioned that for the episode Window of Opportunity, RDA suggested they do the pottery scene like in Ghost the movie then someone asked which one of them would've been the catcher.

dasNdanger
03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey das! Sorry, no Wraiths in attendance but can I interest you in this?

http://danielpua.com/wp-content/uploads/Chris_Judge_shirtless.jpg

Whew. yeah. That'll work! :D

Thanks!

And, see??! According to 'Trip'/Connor - the ladies LOVE the Wraith. NOT just me.

So...guys. You wanna get a lady? Dress up like the first two guys in my sig. ;)

das

leafinsectman
08-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey das (and any other Stargate fans), 5 months later and I finally got around to going through my pics of the convention. I suck.

Here are the highlights.

http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000541-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000557-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000510-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000549-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000518-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000532-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-chris-judge-amp-dan-shea/lumix-gh1-p1000546-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-amp-gigi-edgley/lumix-gh1-p1000596-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-amp-gigi-edgley/lumix-gh1-p1000600-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-amp-gigi-edgley/lumix-gh1-p1000580-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-amp-gigi-edgley/lumix-gh1-p1000609-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-amp-gigi-edgley/lumix-gh1-p1000615-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-connor-trinneer-amp-david-nykl/lumix-gh1-p1000624-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-connor-trinneer-amp-david-nykl/lumix-gh1-p1000627-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-connor-trinneer-amp-david-nykl/lumix-gh1-p1000630-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-rda/lumix-gh1-p1000646-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-rda/lumix-gh1-p1000664-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-rda/lumix-gh1-p1000656-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-misc/lumix-gh1-p1000668-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-misc/lumix-gh1-p1000673-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-misc/lumix-gh1-p1000675-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-misc/lumix-gh1-p1000686-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg
http://danielpua.com/wp-content/gallery/stargate-2010-misc/lumix-gh1-p1000687-titamatic-135mm-f2-8.jpg

More pics from the links below if you're interested.

http://danielpua.com/2010/03/06/stargate-2010-dan-shea-chris-judge/
http://danielpua.com/2010/03/06/stargate-2010-claudia-black-ben-browder-gigi-edgley/
http://danielpua.com/2010/03/06/stargate-2010-connor-trinneer-david-nykl/
http://danielpua.com/2010/03/06/stargate-2010-richard-dean-anderson/
http://danielpua.com/2010/03/06/stargate-2010-miscellaneous-photos/

siguy
08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Uhh..go to Disneyland?

Foolish Mortal
08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Why is it that it seems like it's always sweltering hot in these convention halls? We've had air conditioning since the 1930's. Can they not keep a building cool at all in 2010?

dasNdanger
08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Excellent pics! Looks like a great time for all!

I was looking at the other pictures on your site - just lovely! :thumb:

das

leafinsectman
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Excellent pics! Looks like a great time for all!

I was looking at the other pictures on your site - just lovely! :thumb:

das

Woooooo thanks :D