PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii 2010! Check out my plan...tell me what to do!

gaspar
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
So, last year I took a trip for a conference to the Waikiki / Honolulu area on Oahu. I asked for opinions on what to do, where to eat, etc. on a very limited budget in this thread (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=176152) and you guys gave me some FANTASTIC advice! So thanks(!) and I'm back for more :D

I'm taking a similar trip in about a week and a half and this time my wife will be able to join me! We'll be there for about a week and I have some business to attend to while there (the reason we get to go), but once that is taken care of and the majority of the trip, we'll be able to do basically whatever we want. We've already paid for our hotel and airfare, but are likely going to skip a rental car again because I was able to get around basically everywhere I needed to go last time on The Bus without much difficulty or inconvenience. Plus, we're poor again this time around and the price difference between the two options is immense for us.

I've been to Oahu twice now and have done a bit of exploring. I am by no stretch an expert...far far from it, but I have some ideas about what I'd like to do while there, things I'd like to do and places I'd like to eat. My wife has only been once and it was only for a couple of days. Basically hit the beach, Pearl Harbor and a couple of other spots. I'd like to show her around...make sure she has a great time! I don't want to miss anything great if someone has fun ideas.

So, here's my tentative, bare-bones plan for the week so far. Everything can and likely will change...these are just ideas I've had and I'm sort of plugging them into days to see if I can fit things in.

Day 1:
Flight in - Land @ approx 130pm...get all of our stuff, get to the hotel, etc.

- Relaxing afternoon / evening exploring Waikiki, hit the beach, etc.

Day 2:
- Breakfast
- Take care of my business

- Lunch
- Iolani Palace tour

- Dinner

Day 3:
- Breakfast
- 3 Honolulu Temples (Kuan Yin temple, Taoist Temple, Izumo Taisha)

- Lunch
- Chinatown

- Dinner

Day 4:
- Breakfast
- Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve

- Lunch
- Byodo-In Temple

- Dinner

Day 5:
- Breakfast
- Drive to North Shore
(either rent a car for the day or take the bus)

Day 6:
- Breakfast
- Diamond Head hike

- Lunch
- Koko Head Park
- Makapu'u Tide Pools

- Dinner

Day 7:
- Breakfast
- Pearl Harbor
- Punchbowl Cemetery

- Lunch
- Manoa Falls hike
- Ala Moana Shopping

- Dinner

Day 8:
- Breakfast
- Relax @ beach
- Waikiki shopping

- Lunch
- Dinner possibly before we leave.
- Flight leaves late...

We're both looking forward to checking out the temples, that's why we have several on the list. I've tried to just generally group morning and afternoon things in areas so that we're not driving / busing back and forth all over the place each day.

I've kept it really loose and what I'd love is for anyone who has been there to say, "don't bother doing ___" or "while you're in Chinatown, you might want to check out / eat at ___" or "instead of ___ why don't you go to ___."

Very few of these are things that we're absolutely connected to, and I'd much rather hear that something isn't worth the effort now than to find out after we took the time to get there and it's a bust.

Plus, any and all inexpensive to mid-range restaurant recommendations would be fantastic!

Thanks again for last year's recs...I'm very hopeful for more this time!

CougarTrace
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I went last summer and did most of that (except the temples)

I would suggest maybe renting a car and visiting Kahlua Ranch (sp?) where lost and other films have been shot

Its breathtaking there

Ryan Elliott
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I like this plan! I'm excited to be apart of it! Let's do it!

CapnChaos
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
What you do is give me your ticket. :cry:

gaspar
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I went last summer and did most of that (except the temples)

I would suggest maybe renting a car and visiting Kahlua Ranch (sp?) where lost and other films have been shot

Its breathtaking there

Quite beautiful...I'm excited to be going back again so soon! I would love to rent a car and that's what we were planning up until a couple of days ago.

Cheap car rental = $120
Very little gas/wk = $100
Parking @ hotel @ $27/day = $216
---------------------------------
Total = $436!!!

Bus pass = $20 for 4 days x2people x2passes each = $80!!!

It'll be a bit more inconvenient, but as a broke ass married couple / grad students, we do what we have to do.

As for the Lost locations...we don't watch Lost. But I've seen photos and it looks AMAZING! We have friends who MIGHT go with us and they are huge Lost fans. If they go, they want to see the place...I'll definitely check it out!

I like this plan! I'm excited to be apart of it! Let's do it!

Thanks! I'll be posting photos I'm sure, or I can send you the actual details and you can join us there :)

What you do is give me your ticket. :cry:

Hmmm...nope :no:

Non refundable, all in my name...you'll have to buy your own and join us! I might be able to talk my wife into letting you crash on our lanai (balcony) if you get out there though :D

Brandon191
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I was there a few months ago and I wanted to try out a spot called Puka Dog. I saw on Anthony Bourdain's show and he loved it. Unfortunately I never had the chance.

www.pukadog.com

Alex(sadly)Maleev
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I cant believe you made a plan. But one thing I recommend is the observatories on a stary night.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/

And the lava if you have the guts.

Also camping is a great option.

gaspar
03-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I was there a few months ago and I wanted to try out a spot called Puka Dog. I saw on Anthony Bourdain's show and he loved it. Unfortunately I never had the chance.

www.pukadog.com

Yeah...I saw that ep! I definitely need to add that to the list! Thanks for reminding me!

I cant believe you made a plan. But one thing I recommend is the observatories on a stary night.

Yes, I know, I'm a dork. It started out as just a list of "things I want to do" and then I decided to see how much I could actually fit into the time we'll be there realistically. Like I said, I'm not being crazy about this...everything is completely free to change and I know that it will.

I just want to have a good time. I'm not going to be anal about it once we're there...it's more for me to have fun looking things up now and get all excited about things we might get to see when we're there :)

The observatories sound really cool...never would have thought of that!

Is there a place to see lava on Oahu? I haven't looked into that but would love to. I know that you can take lava tours on some of the other islands, but hadn't seen any listed in my browsing of things to do on Oahu.

Marcdachamp
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Maui is PARADISE. I highly recommend you do some snorkeling and jet skiing. Honolulu was a little disappointing to me, but Pearl Harbor is pretty amazing.

gaspar
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Maui is PARADISE. I highly recommend you do some snorkeling and jet skiing. Honolulu was a little disappointing to me, but Pearl Harbor is pretty amazing.

Well, unfortunately I won't get to go to paradise then. I've only been to Oahu thus far as far as Hawaii goes and it's been pretty fucking bad ass! I'm definitely not going to complain about 8 days on Oahu :D

arthurloewenkamp
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Sadly that's on the big island. Going inter-island would probably blow your budget. I really like this itinerary for activities, I think your pretty much doing Oahu the way it should be. Don't forget, fireworks in front of the Hilton Friday evenings after sunset.

arthurloewenkamp
03-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Also, check with some locals to see if the whales are still around and a good place to see them. I had some friends spotting them in Oahu the other week. They're all over Big Island right now. There was about three just a few hundred feet from our dive boat Sunday.

Taki Soma
03-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Mike and I were there in January. We really weren't too big a fan of Holnolulu area, but turtle bay area north end of Oahu was beautiful. Snorkeling in this naturally walled off rocky beach was THE best snorkeling I've ever experienced; I was surrounded by a huge wall of fish, it was unbelievable.

Pupukea Beach Park, across from http://www.sharkscoverentals.com/ (where you can rent boards and snorkeling gear.

Taki Soma
03-04-2010, 07:52 PM
oh and go to Sam's Kitchen and get the garlic chicken.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/37/1476408/restaurant/Hawaii/Waikiki/Sams-Kitchen-Honolulu

arthurloewenkamp
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
And if you didn't go to Teddy's Bigger Burger do it! It's at the east end of waikiki across the street from the zoo area.

arthurloewenkamp
03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
One of my favorite beaches was up by Haleiwa on the north side, nicknamed second opening because its the second opening after town. Looking at google maps I think its where the save the sea turtles international marker is. Basically you leave Haleiwa going to the north-east on Kamehameha highway. The second beach opening you see is it. Good snorkeling and usually turtles feeding in the water and sunning themselves. Not sure if its too rough in the winter though, that's when the big waves are up north.

gaspar
03-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Sadly that's on the big island. Going inter-island would probably blow your budget. I really like this itinerary for activities, I think your pretty much doing Oahu the way it should be. Don't forget, fireworks in front of the Hilton Friday evenings after sunset.

That's what I was thinking...unfortunately, inter-island hopping is definitely not on my "to-do list" for this trip. Hopefully I'll be able to do that sometime soon! I do want to check out the other islands, but all of the things that I've needed to do, and therefore the reason that I've been able to set up these trips, have been on Oahu thus far.

Thanks about the itinerary! I don't want to overload each day because I'm sure we will be doing a lot of side tracking and "instead of this, let's do this" kind of stuff which is great! We definitely want to do Hanauma Bay, Manoa Falls, & Byodo-In Temple and hopefully North Shore...the rest is just "what looks cool and super fun!" :)

Fireworks in front of the Hilton sounds awesome! Thanks!

Also, check with some locals to see if the whales are still around and a good place to see them. I had some friends spotting them in Oahu the other week. They're all over Big Island right now. There was about three just a few hundred feet from our dive boat Sunday.

Definitely a great idea! I would love to do this...I will check around when we get there and see if it's a possibility. I've considered the shark dives, but I've heard they're not that great from some people, so I don't know. Also might be kind of expensive.

Mike and I were there in January. We really weren't too big a fan of Holnolulu area, but turtle bay area north end of Oahu was beautiful. Snorkeling in this naturally walled off rocky beach was THE best snorkeling I've ever experienced; I was surrounded by a huge wall of fish, it was unbelievable.

Pupukea Beach Park, across from http://www.sharkscoverentals.com/ (where you can rent boards and snorkeling gear.

Turtle Bay is one of the things my wife and I have definitely been looking into! It's one of the main reasons we're trying to find a way to make sure we get up to North Shore. Thanks for the info...I'll be checking into that asap!

oh and go to Sam's Kitchen and get the garlic chicken.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/37/1476408/restaurant/Hawaii/Waikiki/Sams-Kitchen-Honolulu

That sounds awesome and thanks for the rec! My wife isn't a huge seafood fan, so any recommendations for stuff like garlic chicken and PukaDogs is fabulous...she'll appreciate it while I scarf all of the seafood I can handle :D

And if you didn't go to Teddy's Bigger Burger do it! It's at the east end of waikiki across the street from the zoo area.

I wanted to try Teddy's last year, but I never made it out...it's now on the list! Thanks, and again, my wife will appreciate the rec!

One of my favorite beaches was up by Haleiwa on the north side, nicknamed second opening because its the second opening after town. Looking at google maps I think its where the save the sea turtles international marker is. Basically you leave Haleiwa going to the north-east on Kamehameha highway. The second beach opening you see is it. Good snorkeling and usually turtles feeding in the water and sunning themselves. Not sure if its too rough in the winter though, that's when the big waves are up north.

I will definitely check this one...I think it's on our list already, but I need to look again. Sounds fantastic! We want to see the honu / turtles if possible while there, so I think a trip to North Shore is a must!

arthurloewenkamp
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
The shark thing I did was you got in the cage and they chum the water around you and the sharks come up. It is cool, but its very expensive. I'd say if you were going to splurge on something do a nice sunset cruise with the wife, some do dinners, some are just drinks but if you do the Friday ones you can do sunset cruise with the hilton fireworks. As I've said before grab those oahu gold pamphlets theres usually good discounts in those for some of the activities. You might even invest in an entertainment book for Honolulu to get some 2 for 1 dinners.

Brandon191
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I would also recommend doing a submarine tour. I did one in Maui and had a great time.

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/oahu/

gaspar
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
The shark thing I did was you got in the cage and they chum the water around you and the sharks come up. It is cool, but its very expensive. I'd say if you were going to splurge on something do a nice sunset cruise with the wife, some do dinners, some are just drinks but if you do the Friday ones you can do sunset cruise with the hilton fireworks. As I've said before grab those oahu gold pamphlets theres usually good discounts in those for some of the activities. You might even invest in an entertainment book for Honolulu to get some 2 for 1 dinners.

Yeah, I thought the shark cage thing might be too expensive and I don't really think my wife is much interested. If the other couple end up going, my friend does want to do it so we might while the ladies do lady things :) But it's looking like they're probably not going, so I think you're right about the sunset cruise as a sub possibility...sounds really nice!

I'll definitely check the Oahu Gold pamphlets! Thanks for the reminder! I Remember seeing those last time and sort of dug through them but really didn't have time or money to utilize them. I'll take a look again this time and see what's available.

I would also recommend doing a submarine tour. I did one in Maui and had a great time.

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/oahu/

My wife found one of those on her travel book / website reading...looks pretty cool! I'll send her the link and see what she thinks. Thanks!

Marcdachamp
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, unfortunately I won't get to go to paradise then. I've only been to Oahu thus far as far as Hawaii goes and it's been pretty fucking bad ass! I'm definitely not going to complain about 8 days on Oahu :D

You know, it's a pretty short and cheap flight from Oahu to Maui. We did the opposite.

Oahu is nice, but the city feels like any other city.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah...I saw that ep! I definitely need to add that to the list! Thanks for reminding me!

Yes, I know, I'm a dork. It started out as just a list of "things I want to do" and then I decided to see how much I could actually fit into the time we'll be there realistically. Like I said, I'm not being crazy about this...everything is completely free to change and I know that it will.

I just want to have a good time. I'm not going to be anal about it once we're there...it's more for me to have fun looking things up now and get all excited about things we might get to see when we're there :)

Is there a place to see lava on Oahu? I haven't looked into that but would love to. I know that you can take lava tours on some of the other islands, but hadn't seen any listed in my browsing of things to do on Oahu.

The inner flights weren't that expansive I think, you fly to Kona and rent a car, the drive itself is amazing too.
I know it doesnt show much, but there are some photos of the locations I was telling you about:
http://homepage.mac.com/amaleev/Hawaii/PhotoAlbum21.html

Alex(sadly)Maleev
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM

The inter flights weren't that expansive I think, you fly to Hilo and rent a car, the drive itself is amazing too.
I know it doesnt show much, but there are some photos of the locations I was telling you about:

gaspar
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
You know, it's a pretty short and cheap flight from Oahu to Maui. We did the opposite.

Oahu is nice, but the city feels like any other city.

Sounds and looks nice, but we are on Oahu for the duration of our stay because of money. I'm sure we'll have fun! I was there for 7 or 8 days last year, no money, no rental car and had a friggin' BLAST!

The inner flights weren't that expansive I think, you fly to Kona and rent a car, the drive itself is amazing too.

Seriously everyone, I would LOVE to travel to Maui or the Big Island while we're there, but it's not happening. I know the flights aren't "that expensive" in comparison to a lot of things in life, but we're doing good just to have money to spend on Oahu.

I just looked up Hawaiian Airlines flights from Honolulu to Kona...for a round trip flight for 2 people during two non weekend days during the week we'll be there, our total with taxes, etc. comes to $292.82. This definitely sounds like a really good price and I would love to do it, but we just don't have that money to spend right now. I can't wait for the day that I can see Maui or Kona...unfortunately that won't be on this trip. I do thank you for the suggestions though!

Some of those photos look BEAUTIFUL Alex! Thanks :D