PDA

View Full Version : So, I bought the CAPTAIN AMERICA omnibus...

that bastard
03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
...having never really been a Captain America fan. I like the character in a WWII setting but could never really get into him otherwise. Like the whole "unfrozen caveman lawyer" angle really sort of leaves me as kind of of 'meh' feeling. Bear in mind I have always been more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy but Cap always rang truer to me set in the 40's. Were there a regular series based during WWII, I'd be on it.

I've enjoyed a few Cap runs here and there. THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINAL OF LIBERTY mini-series by Fabian Nicieza and Kevin Maguire, the first ULTIMATES series, the Robert Morales/Chris Bachalo run (which was unceremoniously cut short for whatever reason) but I missed out on the REST of Volume 4 (which, from what I understand, was damned good).

SO, with all the talk of the upcoming C.A. movie etc. etc. my interest in the character is sparked again. I got to talking with the guy at my LCS and he told me that Brubaker's run (before the "Death of" and Bucky taking over in that horrible costume - somebody PLEASE prevent Alex Ross from EVER reesigning another character again. Please.) was brilliant and it was almost shameful that I hadn't read it. So he offered to sell me the Omnibus for $30 which, really, was too good an offer to miss out on.

SO...What am I in for? Am I in for awesome? I know Brubaker is a hell of a writer from his DC work. CATWOMAN and GOTHAM CENTRAL were fantastic and CRIMINAL is awesome so...I'm thinkin' awesome, yes?

Howlett
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I could never stand Captain America as a solo character before. I just hated the character when he wasn't appearing as an Avenger.

Then Bru came on and I checked out the preview pages (for the art originally) and got hooked. Now Cap is one of my most anticipated comics every month. This is easily one of the best runs of a character in a long ass time in my opinion.

Blue Flash
03-04-2010, 01:55 PM
hey that bastard, let me know what the gutter loss is like on that puppy once you read most of it. That's just the kind of book that I can imagine getting a decent deal on at a con.

SteveFlack
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
hey that bastard, let me know what the gutter loss is like on that puppy once you read most of it. That's just the kind of book that I can imagine getting a decent deal on at a con.

There's not much gutter loss at the Cap omnibus.

Taxman
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I think I may have actually liked the post-death wring more than the pre-death.

Gangy
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
A heck of a run. Hadn't enjoyed Captain America solo comics that much in the past, but picked up the first issue on a whim and never looked back.

The Hodag
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
That's a long preamble to "will I like the thing I just bought?"

Brother Power the Gong
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
That's a long preamble to "will I like the thing I just bought?"

… a question usually answered offline in the "I read the thing I just bought" act.

that bastard
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, the way I see it, the "Will I like this" questions is usually followed by an "I dunno, what have you liked in the past?" reply which leads to another posting or two of exactly what I already did on my first post so...Yeah.

EXAMPLE 1:

"Will I like RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING?"

"Do you like schlocky B-Movies?"

"Kinda, yeah."

"Do you like SWAMP THING?"

"Sure!"

"Which KIND of Swamp Thing did you like? Classic 70's Berni Wrightson-era or Alan Moore era?"

"I like it all but Alan Moore's run was the end-all-be-all in my opinion."

"Then, no...No you will not."

EXAMPLE 2:

"Will I enjoy RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING? I was a big fan of Alan Moore's run on the book."

"No."

See?

Brother Power the Gong
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
if you like Bru's other stuff, you'll like Cap. GO READ IT NOW!

JeremyDale
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
If you don't like Captain America I'm not sure we can be friends.

- jeremy

Joe Kalicki
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Mark Gruenwald's Captain America was my first favorite comic book/character and I will always love him. It would be nice if I could have read about him for the last two years or so.

Thudpucker
03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, the way I see it, the "Will I like this" questions is usually followed by an "I dunno, what have you liked in the past?" reply which leads to another posting or two of exactly what I already did on my first post so...Yeah.

EXAMPLE 1:

"Will I like RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING?"

"Do you like schlocky B-Movies?"

"Kinda, yeah."

"Do you like SWAMP THING?"

"Sure!"

"Which KIND of Swamp Thing did you like? Classic 70's Berni Wrightson-era or Alan Moore era?"

"I like it all but Alan Moore's run was the end-all-be-all in my opinion."

"Then, no...No you will not."

EXAMPLE 2:

"Will I enjoy RETURN OF THE SWAMP THING? I was a big fan of Alan Moore's run on the book."

"No."

See?

Or you could just read it and find out.

Joe Kalicki
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Especially since he already bought it.

Blue Flash
03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
There's not much gutter loss at the Cap omnibus.

And I got the same news regarding the ultimates omnibus, as well.

:thumb: good job, Marvel. Those 700+ page collections must be a bit of a nightmare to manufacture.

Blue Flash
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM

God forbid someone shares enthusiasm/brags a bit.

that bastard
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
God forbid someone shares enthusiasm/brags a bit.

I'm not part of the snarky little club of regulars so...I'm not allowed to : )

I was honestly asking if the hype lives up because, yeah, I bought it, but I can bring it BACK.

I did that with BATTLE HYM...Heard it was great and it turned out to be not so much so I brought it back. My LCS lets me do that. Wanted to make sure I wasn't making the same mistake.

Supreme Convoy
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Captain America #1 through 25 is a solid run. I'm sure you'll dig the book.

I'll also recommend Mark Waid & Ron Garney's run (with Andy Kubert at the tail end of Waid's tenure).

Thudpucker
03-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm not part of the snarky little club of regulars so...I'm not allowed to : )

You are now.

Welcome to our snark club! It's your turn to bring sandwiches next week.

Marcdachamp
03-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Captain America #1 through 25 is a solid run. I'm sure you'll dig the book.

I'll also recommend Mark Waid & Ron Garney's run (with Andy Kubert at the tail end of Waid's tenure).

After Bendis brought it back in New Avengers, I had to dig out and reread the issue where he gets the photon shield. I've only read that and one other Cap issue by Waid and Garney (the Hawkeye issue) but both are just excellent.

Anyway, you're in for a treat, man! We should be calling you the lucky bastard! Brubaker's Captain America is like Miller's DD run: something that will be remembered for years and years to come. And it's still insanely strong! I just reread Who will Wield the Shield and it's a great Cap comic through and through!

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I loved the shit out of those issues where they fought that robot in London or wherever. I hope there's more of that type of action in the coming months.

Chinaski
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Mark Gruenwald's Captain America was my first favorite comic book/character and I will always love him. It would be nice if I could have read about him for the last two years or so.

I loved Gruenwalds run on Cap - sure there were some spots that were not as good as others, but I remember re-reading the Captain America No More issues over and over again when I was a kid. That might be my favorite Cap story ever, and I wish Marvel would collect that either as an Essential or as a TPB.

Brubakers Cap is really great also, I think I liked it more when it was Steve as Cap tho. I like Bucky but I wish we could have had a little more of him as a character before Steve was killed, and now with this Reborn / Siege clusterfuck is going on Im not sure if I ever care about the book that much any more. I think Im going to wait until all the dust settles and decide if I still want to continue on.

But to answer the original posters question - you should really enjoy the Omnibus, especially for the price you paid.

Supreme Convoy
03-04-2010, 07:22 PM
After Bendis brought it back in New Avengers, I had to dig out and reread the issue where he gets the photon shield.

Yes! :rock:

Marcdachamp
03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes! :rock:

I really hope it's now back for good. It only makes sense, and it's actually pretty cool looking.