PDA

View Full Version : Now that its been over for a while, are you glad Hitch took his time with Ultimates?

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Yay? Nay? Poll!

The Human Target
03-04-2010, 02:02 AM
One vote for not really.

His art is great, but it really hurt my enjoyment of the series in serial format.

Either keep up with a monthly schedule (if thats what ya promise) or switch to OGN format.

BWC Boston
03-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah.

I enjoy the book, admittedly not as much as some people seem to, and I can't imagine a fill-in floating around in there working. There are artists I like better than Hitch, but THE ULTIMATES is such a distinct work of both Millar's and Hitch's that there's no way anyone else could've subbed in for an issue and NOT been completely distracting.

Hell, I wish Maleev would've "taken his time" with DAREDEVIL. Even if the took an extra 8 months, I'd rather those 3 fill-in issues were done by him in my hardcovers.

cPol
03-04-2010, 03:51 AM
I went with "Kinda". I thoroughly enjoyed the series and only remember being vaguely annoyed at the delays.

Kirblar
03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Wasn't it due to him or a family member being really, really sick?

Greygor
03-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Wasn't it due to him or a family member being really, really sick?

I believe I remember something about that, but I could be wrong.

Either way I'd have been happy to wait forever for Ultimates 3 #1 to come out, just so I didn't have to read it.

David Aspmo
03-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Sure, I was glad that was the case even back when it was coming out.

But then, it's never really been my favorite book story-wise, so I wasn't just chomping at the bit to get the next issue, either. I was perfectly content to wait until the entire run had come out before reading it.

modungo
03-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Y'know my main problem with the Hitch that took his time is the that the Hitch of a few year before that got the Authority out pretty close to monthly was WAAAAY better.

But at the same time it never really bothered me that Ultimates was late. No other books were waiting on it. It's exactly the kind of project you put a slow artist on.

DaveCummings
03-04-2010, 05:06 AM
I was glad he took his time with it, because both Ultimates books were just gorgeous.

Though I don't think it's really him "taking his time" as there was alot of behind the scenes factors that threw everything off, like Mark's hospital stays due to his Chrohn's disease.

AndrewG
03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
One vote for not really.

His art is great, but it really hurt my enjoyment of the series in serial format.

Either keep up with a monthly schedule (if thats what ya promise) or switch to OGN format.

yea

SidekicksRevenge
03-04-2010, 05:13 AM
"Kinda."

It actually bothers me more now that it did at the time. When I reread Ultimates & Ultimates 2, It's kind of maddening how the pop culture references in the beginning are already out of date by the end.

Seriously. That shit bothers me. I need a life.

DirtyHarrington
03-04-2010, 05:16 AM
I went with "Kinda." The only thing keeping me from saying definitely yes is that I thought the art in that last issue still looked rush and that mega foldout with the massive fight is just a really boring scene to me.

I'm glad it didn't look any worse though.

DaveCummings
03-04-2010, 05:20 AM
"Kinda."

It actually bothers me more now that it did at the time. When I reread Ultimates & Ultimates 2, It's kind of maddening how the pop culture references in the beginning are already out of date by the end.

Seriously. That shit bothers me. I need a life.

Then again, the pop culture thing has less to do with Hitch and more to do with Millar.

SidekicksRevenge
03-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Then again, the pop culture thing has less to do with Hitch and more to do with Millar.

I mean, he tossed them in, and they worked for the individual issues. And I don't mind reading old references in old comics. One of my favorite Spider-Man lines is a dig at Twin Peaks. My guess, though, is that they were tossed in after the art was turned in and Millar fine-tuned the dialogue (that's how Marvel does it...right?). And they don't match up from the beginning of the story to the end.

If that's because of art delays, story delays, or whatever...it's still because of the delays that it seems so incongruous.

leafinsectman
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I think I'm closer to "definitely" than "kinda" since I feel as though his stuff after Ultimates wasn't at that level although nowadays I'd prefer monthly/on time Hitch as opposed to Ultimates schedule Hitch. The delays didn't bother me then and it certainly doesn't bother me now but going forward I'd rather see more of his stuff than him to take a few months on an issue. It depends on what he's drawing I guess.

NickT
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Was then, still am.

silverboy
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
It was gorgeous. I'm okay with the time it took.

Thudpucker
03-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Kinda. So much wasted time.

I wonder where the characters would be now if Ultimates had stayed on a monthly schedule like the rest of the line did.

costello
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
You're asking us to look at the book now and not think about the past, right?

Hell yeah, it's a solid book.

I wasn't annoyed in the past either--I was more afraid I was missing issues. Eventually I just started collecting the story and waited to read it when it was over. No complaints here.

hellblazer72
03-04-2010, 09:02 PM
i was alittle annoyed back then. i still think both volumes could have been told in 6 issues each.

greg donovan
03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
didnt bother me then and doesnt bother me now.

Supreme Convoy
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I initially voted for "Kinda"... but realized I should've put "Yes" because of how much I loved those comics after re-reading them from beginning to end. I suppose it would be pretty petty if I'm still mad about the delays.

With Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, I realize the need for fill in artists to get those books on time to coincide with the DC line like DC and One Year Later. Though it still looks odd having multiple artists on the books.

At least now I can hold the Ultimates omnibus and realize it was worth all the wait as there is certainly no dip in quality in Hitch's art.

artimoff
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
So much of the last 2 issues were pretty predictible that I really didn't care by the time 13 came out. If they had gotten Alan Davis to draw the last 3 & published monthly & doubt I would care now that Hitch hadn't done them. As long as it's the same writer I'm OK.

Bedlam66
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I was always ok with how long it took. Delays don't bug me as much as fill in artists.

HoldFastNow
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I'm glad he took his time. Granted, I didn't buy the book monthly I was given the first trade as a gift, gave it to someone else and bought the OHC, and bought the OHC for Ultimates 2 when that came out.

Jef UK
03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Of course. I want great comics made and then I want to read them, and it doesn't matter if it takes one year or three.

Big Poot!
03-05-2010, 07:38 AM
It's a masterwork.

DAVE
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Check out Ultimate Avengers to get a feel for how The Ultimates would've been like with Hitch fill-ins.

allanpat
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
it still stands as the best work he's ever done, so yeah