PDA

View Full Version : "From Hell" is amazing but...

Jim T.
03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
the annotations are even better! How else would I have known about the Hitler cameo! I actually got 4 chapters in before I realized there were annotations - now I'm reading them like they're the world's greatest textbook. Such amazing stuff that Moore is able to do. And the Campbell art is perfectly suited.

The Hodag
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, always loved the annotations. I need to re-read that book sometime soon, as the way things pan out is a little nebulous in my head.

Also loved the epilogue, Dance of the Gull Catchers.

Mattman
03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Reading the annotations along with the story itself was one of the most enjoyable comics experiences I've ever had. It's like a really interesting director's commentary.

Supreme Convoy
03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
It's been years since I've read From Hell... don't remember aboutthe Hitler cameo.

Perhaps one day I'll re-read it.

Dark Sasha
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I like at the end he's like "Ok, I'm not going to explain this. Figure it out"

Mattman
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
It's been years since I've read From Hell... don't remember aboutthe Hitler cameo.

Perhaps one day I'll re-read it.
As Jack the Ripper is killing one of his victims, Hitler is being conceived.

Brian Defferding
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
One of the many reasons why Moore is one of my favorite writers in the comic medium. Between this and Watchmen, I don't think I've found a writer than has come close to his type of brilliance yet. Maybe Neil Gaiman, I don't know.

Garth
03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
So amazing. I tired to read all of his annotations, but it is fucking dense. I have nothing but respect for the man.

The Hodag
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
So amazing. I tired to read all of his annotations, but it is fucking dense. I have nothing but respect for the man.

I'm trying to remember how I read them. Was it "read a chapter of the comic, read the annotations?" That seems like it'd be a tedious mixing of prose and comics. I think what I did was read the comic from start to finish, only pausing to look up stuff that actually confused me (the Hitler sequence is a perfect example), then read all the annotations on their own.

I think.

Mattman
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm trying to remember how I read them. Was it "read a chapter of the comic, read the annotations?" That seems like it'd be a tedious mixing of prose and comics. I think what I did was read the comic from start to finish, only pausing to look up stuff that actually confused me (the Hitler sequence is a perfect example), then read all the annotations on their own.

I think.
I did it page by page. The annotations tell you what pages they're covering. Sometimes it covers one page, other times it takes you through three or four pages. It helped me to keep one bookmark in the annotations and another in the story itself.

Garth
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM

I think.

Yeah, I had the same question. I read the comic first, browsed the annotations. The second time through, I would read the annotations for the parts that really interested me or had a question about.

Hyperstorm
03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Alan Moore's annotations and prose pieces are generally very well done.

Ashwin Pande
03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I love Alan Moore but he has a subset of fans who I can't stand. I've met people who literally call him 'god'. That's fine and all that they like him so much but when you hear someone say the sentence, "What is your favorite book by god? Mine is Watchmen." you kinda want to back away slowly and then run.

Mattman
03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I had the same question. I read the comic first, browsed the annotations. The second time through, I would read the annotations for the parts that really interested me or had a question about.
Let the annotations guide you. By that I mean, read a page, read the annotation that goes with it. It's an experience unlike any other you've ever had reading a "comic". The amount of research Moore put into the writing of From Hell cannot be fully appreciated without doing this. Trust me. Moore as a writer makes you work for the meal, but what a meal it is.

Ben
03-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Yes, and the annotations reveal that there's a little twist at the end.

Gregory
03-03-2010, 04:58 AM
I just finished From Hell and picked up Promethea. The magic connections make for a smooth transition between titles.

Doug
03-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Yes, and the annotations reveal that there's a little twist at the end.

Chubby Checker was Jack the Ripper?