PDA

View Full Version : *EVERYONE* in a movie theater is an asshole!

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I know this is well-trod ground, but I'm incensed!

A few days ago I saw The Princess and the Frog at the dollar show and aside from the crying babies (BABIES!), two people answered their cellphones and had conversations, one continuing for a while.

I just got back from Shutter Island, and in the row behind me someone answered their phone and after I yelled quite loudly "Get off the phone!" they still didn't, and the person I was with was getting mad at me for saying something about it, and nobody else said anything like it wasn't a big deal, which it probably isn't to them because they'd probably all do the same thing themselves. Then, in the same row, some lady was filing her nails through the movie! It was so loud and obnoxious, not to mention disgusting.

If they insist on not putting cellphone jammers in the theaters then they should at least have an usher in every theater through the whole movie to catch that kind of nonsense.

It's not even worth going to the show anymore. It's all just so frustrating.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Dude, fuck that. I always do something. If they don't get off the phone, I sacrifice 2-3 minutes of the movie and get them kicked out. No, seriously, I'm THAT guy.

Kirblar
02-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Get a member of management

And get free stuff out of it.

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Dude, fuck that. I always do something. If they don't get off the phone, I sacrifice 2-3 minutes of the movie and get them kicked out. No, seriously, I'm THAT guy.

I was going to, but the person I was with begged me not to. I said I wouldn't right away but if anyone did anything again I was gone.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I was going to, but the person I was with begged me not to. I said I wouldn't right away but if anyone did anything again I was gone.

Then you shouldn't be friends with them!

BriRedfern
02-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Yes, seldome known fact, complaining about the movie, even saying the movie itself sucked, will usually get you free stuff.

GelfXIII
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
What about that couple in the 12th row who sat quietly and ate their overpriced popcorn and sipped their overpriced sodas and packed out their trash at the end of the show? Them too?

jamestolliver
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Filing their nails? That would annoy me so much.

BriRedfern
02-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Had to be a girl.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Had to be a girl.

Same answer.

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Had to be a girl.

Right!

A lot of people get embarrassed and think you're causing more of a commotion than anyone by complaining. I don't get it.

What about that couple in the 12th row who sat quietly and ate their overpriced popcorn and sipped their overpriced sodas and packed out their trash at the end of the show? Them too?

Sure, if they didn't say anything to the offending parties! It's tacit approval!

jamestolliver
02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Joe Kalicki: All Germans were guilty of the Holocaust.

RickLM
The beauty of seeing a movie in its 2nd or 3rd week is that there are 25 people in the theater, tops, and you can pretty much carve out your own cone of solitude.

Andreas
Develop your inner alpha personality. :) (<-- ironic smile :shifty:)

- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/time-to-get-tough-how-being-nasty-can-improve-your-life-792446.html

Andreas

Jason California
02-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Same answer.

what if she is giving him sex after they get home?

Dark Sasha
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh that remains me earlier this week I was at the library computer lab and three girls were talking really loudly and no one was doing anything.

Adrian B AWESOME

You're putting the pussy on a pedestal, man.

Adrian B AWESOME
Oh that remains me earlier this week I was at the library computer lab and three girls were talking really loudly and no one was doing anything.

Well, that's because no one likes YOU.

Len Snark
02-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Perhaps she, like Alanis Morissette, went down on him in the theater?

While I mention it, has that actually happened to anyone other than Hooks and Keith P.?

Jason California
02-20-2010, 08:45 PM
You're putting the pussy on a pedestal, man.

that's funny. I just not going to let something stupid get in the way.

BriRedfern
02-20-2010, 08:45 PM

While I mention it, has that actually happened to anyone other than Hooks and Keith P.?

Not in a long time.

King of Mars
02-20-2010, 08:46 PM

A few days ago I saw The Princess and the Frog at the dollar show and aside from the crying babies (BABIES!), two people answered their cellphones and had conversations, one continuing for a while.

I just got back from Shutter Island, and in the row behind me someone answered their phone and after I yelled quite loudly "Get off the phone!" they still didn't, and the person I was with was getting mad at me for saying something about it, and nobody else said anything like it wasn't a big deal, which it probably isn't to them because they'd probably all do the same thing themselves. Then, in the same row, some lady was filing her nails through the movie! It was so loud and obnoxious, not to mention disgusting.

If they insist on not putting cellphone jammers in the theaters then they should at least have an usher in every theater through the whole movie to catch that kind of nonsense.

It's not even worth going to the show anymore. It's all just so frustrating.I sympathize. I've tried every approach imaginable to deal with the disruptive theater patron(s) problem (asking them nicely to be quiet, shushing, yelling, threatening, talking to management) and I've even succeeded a few times in shutting the offender(s) up...but it almost always sours my movie going experience. I don't even bother going to the movies anymore unless the movie is some sort of visual feast that you HAVE to see on the big screen.

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:46 PM
As the vengeful man that I am, I'm half-tempted to just set my phone alarm and let it go off for as long as I can before anyone says something if I hear another phone conversation at the show.

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I sympathize. I've tried every approach imaginable to deal with the disruptive theater patron(s) problem (asking them nicely to be quiet, shushing, yelling, threatening, talking to management) and I've even succeeded a few times in shutting the offender(s) up...but it almost always sours my movie going experience. I don't even bother going to the movies anymore unless the movie is some sort of visual feast that you HAVE to see on the big screen.

That's the thing - the phone call took me completely out of the movie. I never really got completely back into it after that.

Spank Everest
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Go to the movies with friends who'll back you up in a fight. Also, make sure they're BIG friends. Then you can tell whoever you want to shut the fuck up or you (and your intimidating company) shall break them AND their babies!

BriRedfern
02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Where do you live? I have never had this happen to me in the North East, Jeresy/Massachusetts. Some texting, which is annoying, but never an actual answered phone call.

Granted, I don't go to the movies much, but some. I would definitely say something loudly to the person if they were near me.

Joe Kalicki
02-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Where do you live? I have never had this happen to me in the North East, Jeresy/Massachusetts. Some texting, which is annoying, but never an actual answered phone call.

Granted, I don't go to the movies much, but some. I would definitely say something loudly to the person if they were near me.

Joliet, Illinois.

Which, if you know the place, would make you go "Oh, that explains it."

Bervda
02-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Years ago, during Titanic.

Magnum V.I.
02-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Do what Jesus does.

Set them on fire and send them to hell!!

King of Mars
02-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Do what Jesus does.

Set them on fire and send them to hell!!If I could do cool stuff like that, I wouldn't have to go to the movies.

CapnChaos
02-20-2010, 09:28 PM
This makes me want to dredge up my thread in which I preached fire and brimstone against the stupid-ass nerd moms that wouldn't get a babysitter to go see a movie.

These people apparently need babysitters too, because when they were supposed to be growing up and learning how to be members of society, no one told them about how it's ina-fucking-ppropriate to have half a conversation in a theater where people paid ten bucks to see a movie, not hear about your dumbshit friends that also probably talk on their phones in the theater.

CapnChaos
02-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Damnedable double post! How the hell did that happen... like 20 minutes later... I'm confused.

oconnellmd
02-20-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't go to theaters much, but I literally can't think of a single time I've gone in the past three or four years where there wasn't someone pissing me off - by talking, by cell phoning, by texting, by coming into the movie late (or getting up and leaving in the middle), bringing a baby, bringing an elderly companion that has the have the whole movie loudly translated for them... I love the theater environment, man, but it's just getting to be too much of a hassle and a waste of my money.

siguy
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Whenever I see a movie in the theater, I destroy everyone, including myself.

Petey Parker
02-20-2010, 10:54 PM

I understand the frustration but there is no way in hell a theatre is going to pay someone to sit in movies all day on the off chance that someone is talking. That would be a nice job though :)

Jacques Toochay
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
I understand the frustration but there is no way in hell a theatre is going to pay someone to sit in movies all day on the off chance that someone is talking. That would be a nice job though :)

Not if the movie you have to watch 6 times is The Tooth Fairy.

*shivers*

I guess you could just sit there and play games or browse on your phone to pass the time though.

RegHorsten
02-20-2010, 11:11 PM
The beauty of seeing a movie in its 2nd or 3rd week is that there are 25 people in the theater, tops, and you can pretty much carve out your own cone of solitude.

You would think. A peeve of mine is I do this sometimes(go to a matinees show a few weeks after it opens) and more times than I can count I get the
moron(s) who feel they have to sit in the row right in front of me. Not directly in front but one seat off. Seriously WTF???

siguy
02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
After I destroy myself along with everyone else, I put myself back together and watch the movie.

babydave
02-21-2010, 02:22 AM

Yeah, try being the guy that has to handle these problems for less than a livable wage. You complain, then the people that are causing the problem complain about the complaint, then when the eventual comment email comes through upper management they complain that we don't do our jobs well enough for not even close to what we should be getting paid, and so on.... don't get me wrong, it's our job and we should handle the problems, but it's not easy and it never works out well. We just don't have the tools to effectively put a stop to this stuff...those of us who even care, that is. Upper management couldn't give less of a shit because all they see are dollar signs and they realize most people will put up with the problems and continue to go to the theater that's most convenient because this sort of shit happens everywhere.

As much as I hate digital projection, at least we can pause it and bring the lights up to remove somebody then immediately restart the movie at the exact same spot... or so I'm told. Never had to do that so I don't have first-hand experience.

If I could open a theater, I'd solve all of these problems and everyone would have a wonderful time at the movies, but it's too costly now and some corporate-controlled chain is more likely to put you out of business before you get to prove to everyone that you do a better job than they do.

You can forget about having a person monitor the theater. They barely pay their people as it is and they certainly don't spend the money or endanger the money already coming in by fixing any of these problems, so they're certainly not going to pay multiple people to sit in movies all day. They'll just keep raising prices and accept that they're going to lose customers and they're really not losing you, are they? You're still gonna watch Iron Man 2 and whatever else is the movie you HAVE to watch on the big screen, aren't you. That's why effects-laded action films are the main product of the industry now. Well-written character dramas can barely get made anymore and they rarely turn a profit. Independent film is all but removed from theatrical exhibition except for certain cities and you can thank the summer blockbusters for that along with the teenagers because they scared away all the adults and caused ticket prices to rise to the point where only something truly amazing is worth it and very few people want to pay $10 to see A Single Man but $10 for Avatar and Iron Man and Harry Potter is understandable because they earn it by offering the experience most people can't get on your TV. Adults are forced out by teenagers and independent film is priced out by blockbusters... so what's left? Expensive stuff teenagers love.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a rant of my own, but I can almost guarantee I'm more fed up with the bullshit of theater exhibition than most....and I LOVED that job. I loved showing movies to people and talking about them and seeing good work get appreciation from the masses. It's just not about that anymore, and it's sad.

Good luck in your future film watching. You could always ask for a pair of the Assisted Listening Headphones... might block out the annoying people... but you lose out on that overwhelming feeling of the sound design. If you can, support an independent theater that can actually enforce its "rules" and leave the chains to deal with the teens and assholes. They won't, but that's where they'll all be.

oconnellmd
02-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah, try being the guy that has to handle these problems for less than a livable wage. You complain, then the people that are causing the problem complain about the complaint, then when the eventual comment email comes through upper management they complain that we don't do our jobs well enough for not even close to what we should be getting paid, and so on.... don't get me wrong, it's our job and we should handle the problems, but it's not easy and it never works out well. We just don't have the tools to effectively put a stop to this stuff...those of us who even care, that is. Upper management couldn't give less of a shit because all they see are dollar signs and they realize most people will put up with the problems and continue to go to the theater that's most convenient because this sort of shit happens everywhere.

As much as I hate digital projection, at least we can pause it and bring the lights up to remove somebody then immediately restart the movie at the exact same spot... or so I'm told. Never had to do that so I don't have first-hand experience.

If I could open a theater, I'd solve all of these problems and everyone would have a wonderful time at the movies, but it's too costly now and some corporate-controlled chain is more likely to put you out of business before you get to prove to everyone that you do a better job than they do.

You can forget about having a person monitor the theater. They barely pay their people as it is and they certainly don't spend the money or endanger the money already coming in by fixing any of these problems, so they're certainly not going to pay multiple people to sit in movies all day. They'll just keep raising prices and accept that they're going to lose customers and they're really not losing you, are they? You're still gonna watch Iron Man 2 and whatever else is the movie you HAVE to watch on the big screen, aren't you. That's why effects-laded action films are the main product of the industry now. Well-written character dramas can barely get made anymore and they rarely turn a profit. Independent film is all but removed from theatrical exhibition except for certain cities and you can thank the summer blockbusters for that along with the teenagers because they scared away all the adults and caused ticket prices to rise to the point where only something truly amazing is worth it and very few people want to pay $10 to see A Single Man but $10 for Avatar and Iron Man and Harry Potter is understandable because they earn it by offering the experience most people can't get on your TV. Adults are forced out by teenagers and independent film is priced out by blockbusters... so what's left? Expensive stuff teenagers love.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a rant of my own, but I can almost guarantee I'm more fed up with the bullshit of theater exhibition than most....and I LOVED that job. I loved showing movies to people and talking about them and seeing good work get appreciation from the masses. It's just not about that anymore, and it's sad.

Good luck in your future film watching. You could always ask for a pair of the Assisted Listening Headphones... might block out the annoying people... but you lose out on that overwhelming feeling of the sound design. If you can, support an independent theater that can actually enforce its "rules" and leave the chains to deal with the teens and assholes. They won't, but that's where they'll all be.

Awesome insight, man. Thanks for the insider perspective on that.

I think the answer for all of us is becoming more and more clear: vigilante justice. A think a secret cabal joining together true movie lovers and frustrated theater employees could come up with a comprehensive plan to take care of the texters and talkers. Perhaps we in the theater report, the employee asks the offender to leave and walks them to the front exit...but they never actually REACH the front exit. This will work will until about mid-summer when visitors start to complain about the terrible smell coming from the closed-down, always-under-repair theater #13...

Petey Parker
02-21-2010, 06:18 AM

I worked at a theatre for 12 years and was a manager for 7. I used to love that job as well (most of it during the years I wasn't a manager), but eventually I got so sick of all the bullshit. It got so bad that most of the time I wouldn't even want to stay on Thursday nights to screen the new movies early. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as we were closed. One of the happiest days of my life was when I finally left.

Foolish Mortal
02-21-2010, 06:42 AM
It's shit like you described that's driving people away from movie theaters more than overpriced food and drinks.

CapnChaos
02-21-2010, 06:53 AM
It's shit like you described that's driving people away from movie theaters more than overpriced food and drinks.

And when people are outfitting their own homes with HD bigscreens and 5.1 surround to mimic the theater as best they can while avoiding all of the annoyances described, it's no wonder more and more people are avoiding the whole mess.

Which is why so many theaters are gung-ho about 3-D since it can't be replicated at home very well yet.

Blue Flash
02-21-2010, 07:41 AM
As the vengeful man that I am, I'm half-tempted to just set my phone alarm and let it go off for as long as I can before anyone says something if I hear another phone conversation at the show.

Don't be passive-aggressive. That's really contemptible.

Donal DeLay
02-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Or grab their cell phone and dunk that shit in a half full large sprite.

That's what I did.

Unfortunately, because my wife hates confrontation she doesn't let me do that anymore so if it happened and a loud "TURN IT OFF!!" doesn't suffice, then I'll get management, report the guy, and demand a free pass because I had to miss the movie because they don't want to put an usher in the theater or cell phone dampers, and allowed some asshole to ruin my theater experience.

Stupendous Man
02-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I saw Shutter Island last night with a group of friends and there were about 9 kids in the row behind us, not one of whom could have have been over 15, who would not shut the fuck throughout the entire damn movie. Fucking maddening.

Beep Beep!
02-21-2010, 09:11 AM
This.

Palm has some really annoying ring tones. Ask Taxman about "Loud Aria" and the last time we went to Disneyland. :evil:

Joe Kalicki
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Another annoying thing is in a packed theater where nobody wants to sit next to anyone else and there are a bunch of empty single seats around the theater but nowhere for a group to sit together.

dEnny!
02-21-2010, 10:41 AM

I don't think anyone is surprised by this news. ;)

dEnny!
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Another annoying thing is in a packed theater where nobody wants to sit next to anyone else and there are a bunch of empty single seats around the theater but nowhere for a group to sit together.

Get there early.

WinterRose
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Damn straight. If the ushers aren't going to police their theater, then you demand a refund or a comped ticket to another showing. Their job is to keep the theater under control so the patrons aren't disturbing one another. You also take down the number at the end of the credits that they put there. The one that you call if anything impacted your showing of this film. Tell them the name of the theater, and how they did nothing to curb the disruptive behaviour of the other patrons. Nothing gets results like starting shit rolling downhill.

dEnny!
02-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Filing their nails? That would annoy me so much.

So clipping one's toenails is a big no-no?

greg donovan
02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
So clipping one's toenails is a big no-no?

shit...

dEnny!
02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
And when people are outfitting their own homes with HD bigscreens and 5.1 surround to mimic the theater as best they can while avoiding all of the annoyances described, it's no wonder more and more people are avoiding the whole mess.

Which is why so many theaters are gung-ho about 3-D since it can't be replicated at home very well yet.

Yeah...3-D, now there is something that drives me into the theaters. :roll:

A.Huerta
02-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Did you go to the ghetto or something?

Jason California
02-21-2010, 10:53 AM

For the right movie it will for me. Looking forward to seeing Alice that way.

WinterRose
02-21-2010, 11:09 AM
That said... I had a lovely experience seeing Sherlock Holmes on Monday. So late in its run, not many folks were still interested. It was me and mattie. And then two other people at the show. Several rows away, and quiet as we were. A well behaved near solitary theater experience. I may never see something in its first run again.

The Hodag
02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I watched the first half of The Wrestler last night before I got tired and decided to catch the rest today. Anyway, it spotlights how there's no retirement plans for these guys. They're all these giant, aging tough guys with no place to go.

So I was looking at this thread and thinking...

Hire them as ass-kicking movie theater ushers.

TheKraken
02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Common courtesy is dead. I went to the theater once last year (and didn't even particularly want to see the movie). I expect to go no more than twice this year (Iron Man 2 and The Losers). It's not worth the hassle. I'd rather wait and watch a movie on my shitty little TV. At least no one will be talking over it.

Criden
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
This is why I love drive-ins: cheap ticket prices (even if you were just seeing one movie, but you also get a free second movie), a greater variety of concessions, more reasonable concession pricing, and, best of all, getting to watch the movie in the privacy, quiet, and comfort of your own car. Apart from going to the drive-in, we just like to see late-night shows when it comes to dramas, because usually the theater's pretty empty for a movie like that, at that point.

siguy
02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
After that, I kiss an underage girl.

Criden
02-21-2010, 11:48 AM
After that, I kiss an underage girl.

After what?

Fourthman
02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe you've heard, I get quite upset at disturbances in theaters during the feature.

CapnChaos
02-21-2010, 03:17 PM

I actually love 3-D movies. I've gone to old ones and new ones. But it's not enough to get me into the theater for a movie that I don't give a crap about like Avatar.

dEnny!
02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I actually love 3-D movies. I've gone to old ones and new ones. But it's not enough to get me into the theater for a movie that I don't give a crap about like Avatar.

I could care less about 3-D. That does nothing for me; I find it to be a lame gimmick that winds up influencing filmmakers decisions. It's easy to spot the scenes that were thrown in or actions by the characters solely for the 3-D aspect.

Monsters vs Aliens the guy monitoring the computers playing with a paddle ball.

King of Mars
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe you've heard, I get quite upset at disturbances in theaters during the feature.???

CapnChaos
02-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I could care less about 3-D. That does nothing for me; I find it to be a lame gimmick that winds up influencing filmmakers decisions. It's easy to spot the scenes that were thrown in or actions by the characters solely for the 3-D aspect.

Didn't see that one in 3-D. (Could have gone without seeing it at all, I found out.) But that's a rip-off of a fantastic gag from Fairly Oddparents.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/timmys-2d-house-horror-clip.html

Fake Pat
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Format should influence filmmaking.

"I hate these new talkies! You can totally tell where they gave the actors things to say just to show off!"

The Hodag
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM

"I hate these new talkies! You can totally tell where they gave the actors things to say just to show off!"

So maybe format just needs to influence filmmaking more wisely when it comes to 3-D. There's always a period of adjustment on this kind of stuff. I remember when computer coloring first came to comics and everything had that shitty airbrushed look of Youngblood #1, but they got better.

Me, not so big on the 3-D either, though. It was pretty cool on Avatar, but I'd rather have had a better story. The basic technology of movies is honestly pretty perfect already and I don't know that I'd enjoy Casablanca more if I could smell the bar. 3-D speaks to that same sort of gimmickry to me. Doesn't really add to the film, just makes it a little more sparkly. And bells and whistles aren't really something movies need more of.

afroloq
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I actually appreciated the guy that after the 2nd time his phone rang 10 minutes into Wolfman, he got up and left to take the call.

Taxman
02-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Went to the cinema today. I have probably watched 40 movies at home since I had been out to one, 50 since I saw something other than Avatar in 3D. Pretty freakin' please with the size of the screen and quality of the picture the entire time. It is almost like you forget what it is like. Some bitch had her feet up on the seat next to me. What are you gonna do?

EdNEMO
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Never go to the theater without Duct Tape and a Stungun.

Blue Flash
02-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Never go to the theater without Duct Tape and a Stungun.

Blowdarts and tranquilizers, dude.

That way you can knock out noise offenders from way in the back if you want.

Fake Pat
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
So maybe format just needs to influence filmmaking more wisely when it comes to 3-D. There's always a period of adjustment on this kind of stuff. I remember when computer coloring first came to comics and everything had that shitty airbrushed look of Youngblood #1, but they got better.

Me, not so big on the 3-D either, though. It was pretty cool on Avatar, but I'd rather have had a better story. The basic technology of movies is honestly pretty perfect already and I don't know that I'd enjoy Casablanca more if I could smell the bar. 3-D speaks to that same sort of gimmickry to me. Doesn't really add to the film, just makes it a little more sparkly. And bells and whistles aren't really something movies need more of.

Absolutely.

I'm just saying it's silly to write it off completely.

Petey Parker
02-21-2010, 06:31 PM
???

You didn't hear about the Fourthman Theatre Massacre Of 09? Some little kid asked their mom if they could go to the bathroom during Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel and he snapped. He ran around the theatre shouting "ALVIN!" and things just got worse from there. There were 87 deaths and 27 injuries before it ended. Allegedly I should say as the trial is still pending.

Jason California
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Blowdarts and tranquilizers, dude.

That way you can knock out noise offenders from way in the back if you want.

That reminds me. when I was younger I shot my sister with a blow dart gun a couple of times. It was 3 times in a row to be exact. she laughed each time (so did I) and for some reason it did not register that I was really causing her pain. To be a kid again.

King of Mars
02-21-2010, 06:36 PM
You didn't hear about the Fourthman Theatre Massacre Of 09? Some little kid asked their mom if they could go to the bathroom during Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel and he snapped. He ran around the theatre shouting "ALVIN!" and things just got worse from there. There were 87 deaths and 27 injuries before it ended. Allegedly I should say as the trial is still pending.Geez. I figured the story had to be good, since another board member worked it into his sig, but I never expected anything on that level. Fourth always seemed so jovial.

CapnChaos
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Hitchcock did Dial M For Murder in 3-D. From people who've seen it in that format and know about that sort of thing, I've heard it goes from being competently shot to one of his better movies compositionally when seen as intended.

Joe Kalicki
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
That reminds me. when I was younger I shot my sister with a blow dart gun a couple of times. It was 3 times in a row to be exact. she laughed each time (so did I) and for some reason it did not register that I was really causing her pain. To be a kid again.

Me and my neighbors used to stand across the driveway and shoot b b guns at each other.

EdNEMO
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Me and my neighbors used to stand across the driveway and shoot b b guns at each other.

My old best friend and I used to to do toughness test. We would throw things "at" the other person to see if they moved. I had my head cracked open with a cement block (didn't move). My friend had a knife thrown into his leg (didn't move).

Ah, to be a kid again.

The Hodag
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Hitchcock did Dial M For Murder in 3-D. From people who've seen it in that format and know about that sort of thing, I've heard it goes from being competently shot to one of his better movies compositionally when seen as intended.

Dial M was shot in 3-D? Crikeypants!

oconnellmd
02-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Dial M was shot in 3-D? Crikeypants!

YEARS ago I saw it screened in 3D in a local little theater. Might have been my first 3D experience. There were a couple of very clear "gimmick" moments making use of the 3D that I remember clearly. Fun.

Beep Beep!
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Today, for the first time ever, I watched a theater manager boot two teen-aged girls from an R rated movie (Shutter Island). I was stunned. They were in the row behind us and she asked the two girls what adult was with them and when one of them said they were waiting for their mom, the manager asked them to wait in the lobby until the mom showed up. But this was a theater that's in a casino and possibly they are held to a higher standard.

Joe Kalicki
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Just got back from seeing The Crazies at the second run show and two groups of people came in late, one on each side of the theater, and proceeded to not stop talking in normal speaking voices. I left and told on them and they were escorted out. It took about two minutes.

This is a theater where tickets cost $1.50, and they acted promptly and reasonably in getting rid of these clowns. If you go somewhere where tickets are $9 or more they should have someone stationed in every show to make sure it doesn't get to the point where someone has to leave.

leafinsectman
04-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, this is messed up. The worst I've had to deal with was really loud and annoying laughter... once. Maybe I've just been lucky although for the most part, I can wait for a movie to come out on DVD/Bluray so I probably don't watch nearly as much movies as you guys do. I much prefer watching stuff at home where I don't have to dress up, I don't have to fucking deal with people, I can do other shit while watching the movie, I can pause and grab something to eat, etc...

Joe Kalicki
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Wow, this is messed up. The worst I've had to deal with was really loud and annoying laughter... once. Maybe I've just been lucky although for the most part, I can wait for a movie to come out on DVD/Bluray so I probably don't watch nearly as much movies as you guys do. I much prefer watching stuff at home where I don't have to dress up, I don't have to fucking deal with people, I can do other shit while watching the movie, I can pause and grab something to eat, etc...

No one steps out of line in Australia because everyone carries giant knives.

Ryan Elliott
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM

:lol:

Foolish Mortal
04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
And razor-edged boomerangs.

leafinsectman
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM

And razor-edged boomerangs.

Well there's that too :D

Michael Blacklist
04-30-2010, 01:17 AM
I just had to call the cops on a guy who broke in to my theater while I was doing inventory. Luckily, the cops just let the dude go (uncuffing him in frot of my box office) because he techically didn't break the door he came in, plus we don't have signs saying we're closed. Thanks, cops!

Shwicaz
04-30-2010, 01:40 AM
You would think. A peeve of mine is I do this sometimes(go to a matinees show a few weeks after it opens) and more times than I can count I get the
moron(s) who feel they have to sit in the row right in front of me. Not directly in front but one seat off. Seriously WTF???

They were hoping for a reach-around.

In 3-D.

CS Ambrose
04-30-2010, 04:39 AM
My wife and I went to see Paranormal Activity a few months back and the theatre was full kids in thier early 20's and younger. They all had a laugh and a carry on throughout the entire movie. And I do mean ALL of them.

When the film finished I ask a member of staff to chain the door shut, set fire to the place and do the world a favour.:-x

Fourthman
04-30-2010, 05:31 AM
You didn't hear about the Fourthman Theatre Massacre Of 09? Some little kid asked their mom if they could go to the bathroom during Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel and he snapped. He ran around the theatre shouting "ALVIN!" and things just got worse from there. There were 87 deaths and 27 injuries before it ended. Allegedly I should say as the trial is still pending.

Never saw these responses, so, here's what actually happened. (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=6431071&postcount=147)

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 07:18 AM
This is why I only go to the greatest theater in the world: The Alamo Drafthouse (http://www.drafthouse.com/)

Tonight’s “Don’t Talk” Adrenaline Rush

Man, tonight I had a weird experience up at the Village. I went up to watch WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE with my wife (I absolutely loved the movie, by the way). We came in just as the trailers were starting up and took a seat. Behind me I noticed all throughout the trailers that there was a group talking fairly loudly. I made a mental note, this is a group to watch. It was well past the new “QUIET ZONE” announcement, but I didn’t want to raise a flag and report the table until the feature started. The feature commenced and their loud chatter continued, so I notified my waiter who politely told them to keep their voices down as there was a complaint from a patron. One request by the waiter and all was quiet for the rest of the film.

Well, apparently the gentleman who was shushed apparently wasn’t quietly enjoying the movie, he was stewing in a quietly building rage. After the film, he complained vigorously to management about getting politely shushed. The manager-on-duty let him know that is was the owner (me) who had registered the complaint. Apparently this made him even more crazy. Crazy enough to chase after me in the parking lot with rage eyes, rant and punch my windshield. He swore to never again visit the Alamo.

Fabulous.

You sir are exactly the type of patron that I never want to see at an Alamo Drafthouse ever again. People who continue to talk when the movie has started are impolite, self-absorbed losers who were never taught common decency by their parents. WE DON’T EVER WANT YOU AT THE ALAMO. Please take your business elsewhere for the rest of your life.

If someone, a member of the Alamo staff or another patron, asks you to please be quiet during any film, please do so, and do so contritely. Remember, the Alamo is not your living room, there are other people around you that don’t want to hear your conversation.

Also, don’t let this anecdote scare you. If you raise a flag to alert an Alamo waiter to a problem talker, it looks just like he or she is taking your order. It’s a totally anonymous system unless you happen to own the place. To our friendly customers, stay vigilant, report talkers and keep our theater safe from the raging hemorrhoids of cinematic society.

Tim League
founder
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

The Dean
04-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I had two groups of talkers behind me in the same movie once. After unsuccessfully shushing them several times, I took my girlfriend's digital and took their picture. They were shocked at the flash and didn't say anything for the rest of the movie.

Generic Poster
04-30-2010, 07:35 AM
This is why I only go to the greatest theater in the world: The Alamo Drafthouse (http://www.drafthouse.com/)

Agreed. I'm so glad we have them in San Antonio now. Unless it's something I want to see in Imax (or a movie I'm taking my small kids to), I simply refuse to go to any other theater.

Drkemerld73
04-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I miss hunting down people in the theater and shutting them up or throwing them out.

Sure, the bosses hated it, and no one else really did it (unless they wanted to help me), but a bunch of customers appreciated it.

It was always fun when I stood in the back and watched them, have them turn around to see if I was still there, and then wave to them letting them know I was there.

:)

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Agreed. I'm so glad we have them in San Antonio now. Unless it's something I want to see in Imax (or a movie I'm taking my small kids to), I simply refuse to go to any other theater.

Anytime you go into a theater and before the previews George Romero (or R Lee Emry, Ann Richards, Strong Bad, or whoever else they have on screen) appears out of nowhere to tell you keep your mouth shut or someone will take your ass out ... it's a good thing.

Ultimate Lurker
04-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Nuff said

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Nuff said

Yeah. You get what you pay for ... ya know.

dasNdanger
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Yeah, but you guys have giant friggin' bigass spiders the size of dinner plates - in your houses. That's the trade off. Personally, I'll take the noisy movie theater.

das

Boris the Blade
04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Can the Alamo please start being a chain and open one in Toronto? Becauuuuse I'd go see everything there.

Genius J
04-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I completely agree that assholes who talk during a movie, answer their phones, send text messages, or yell at the screen are dregs of society and need to be removed from theaters. I hate people like that. They make me furious and I often will yell at them as needed.

On the other hand, anyone who goes to a matinee showing of an animated children's movie really has no right to complain that there are little kids there who might talk once in a while. I take my 4-year-old twins to movies like "The Princess and the Frog" on weekend matinees. Like all responsible parents should, we try to teach them that movies are places where you don't talk, but they're 4 so every now and then they ask about something on the screen, or say they want some candy, or have to potty, whatever. As far as I'm concerned, people who go to those kinds of movies at that time of day have no business acting surprised or angry at this. It's not "Shutter Island" on Saturday night, it's a goddamn cartoon in the middle of the day. Expect kids.

Masculine Todd
04-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Or grab their cell phone and dunk that shit in a half full large sprite.

That's what I did.

Unfortunately, because my wife hates confrontation she doesn't let me do that anymore so if it happened and a loud "TURN IT OFF!!" doesn't suffice, then I'll get management, report the guy, and demand a free pass because I had to miss the movie because they don't want to put an usher in the theater or cell phone dampers, and allowed some asshole to ruin my theater experience.

Did you literally submerge someone's cellphone in pop? That's such a disproportioned response.

Joe Kalicki
04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah. You get what you pay for ... ya know.

So because it's a second run show I shouldn't expect a quality movie-watching experience? I just praised them last night for their swift action.

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 12:04 PM
So because it's a second run show I shouldn't expect a quality movie-watching experience?

Yeah.

Marcdachamp
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
So because it's a second run show I shouldn't expect a quality movie-watching experience? I just praised them last night for their swift action.

"Excuse me, sir? My snack wrap has a strange meat that doesn't seem to be filet mignon. Could you please take care of this? I'm quite hungry."

Joe Kalicki
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah.

That's a stupid opinion.

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 12:52 PM
That's a stupid opinion.

So's your face. ;)

But seriously. You think that paying a to see an older movie at a dollar cinema vs paying full price to see a first run movie should be the exact same experience?

I always thought that whole point of a dollar theater was to sacrifice quality (of the the facility, of the audience and of the film itself) for the sake of a cheaper outing.

Newer first run theaters are often digitally projected. You can see a movie on opening night. You have larger screens. You have (when it's actual film stock) a non degraded film. And more staff (which normally should result in faster response to any noise problems) in the theater.

So why exactly is this a stupid opinion?

WhindamPryce
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Well umm I'm gonna be That Guy and say (with all honesty, I swear to God) that every single time I've been to the movies in America I've NEVER had bad shit happen. Like, no crying babies, no one texting (at least that I could see), no obnoxious teens or fratboys, no one yelling at the screen, etc. It's always been a normal experience even when the theater is completely packed. And I go to the movies pretty much every week.

I'm just lucky I guess. :)

Marcdachamp
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Well umm I'm gonna be That Guy and say (with all honesty, I swear to God) that every single time I've been to the movies in America I've NEVER had bad shit happen. Like, no crying babies, no one texting (at least that I could see), no obnoxious teens or fratboys, no one yelling at the screen, etc. It's always been a normal experience even when the theater is completely packed.

I'm just lucky I guess. :)

I've had, maybe, 5 bad experiences at the movies in my life. Like, one in the last 5 years.

SteveFlack
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm going to see the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" tonight in Times Square, and I really hope people talk throughout the whole damn thing.

WhindamPryce
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
I've had, maybe, 5 bad experiences at the movies in my life. Like, one in the last 5 years.

India and UK are different stories though. :no:

I'm going to see the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" tonight in Times Square, and I really hope people talk throughout the whole damn thing.

I've heard this flick is pretty bad. Good luck! :thumb:

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I did have a thing a few months back. We were watching a movie and there was a guy two seats over talking to his girlfriend at damn near regular volume.

I waited until the actual movie started. My wife was going to "raise a flag" to notify the wait staff about it but I leaned over and at a normal volume said, "We would appreciate it you would stop talking now that the movie has started."

He gave me a sort of "how dare you" look but was quiet the whole rest of the movie.

Donal DeLay
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Did you literally submerge someone's cellphone in pop? That's such a disproportioned response.

Once, yeah.

I wasn't as calm then as I am now.

russw
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
So's your face. ;)

But seriously. You think that paying a to see an older movie at a dollar cinema vs paying full price to see a first run movie should be the exact same experience?

I always thought that whole point of a dollar theater was to sacrifice quality (of the the facility, of the audience and of the film itself) for the sake of a cheaper outing.

Newer first run theaters are often digitally projected. You can see a movie on opening night. You have larger screens. You have (when it's actual film stock) a non degraded film. And more staff (which normally should result in faster response to any noise problems) in the theater.

cheap theater vs full price theater comes down to basic economics and how invested the people spending money are in the movie watching experience.

Going to a dollar theater that obnoxious teenagers can afford to see a movie they most likely have seen before is not a recipe for a quiet movie experience.

The problem with the modern movie experience is that most of our fellow citizens are a bunch of self-center idiots that have not matured past that selfish teenage mentality.

Urgur the Gurgur
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Now now. If it's a cheap phone, like a pay as you go phone. And it's a nice theater. Then the experience that the offender is ruining could be just as expensive as the phone.

leafinsectman
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but you guys have giant friggin' bigass spiders the size of dinner plates - in your houses. That's the trade off. Personally, I'll take the noisy movie theater.

das

They're not so scary once you get to know them :p

I'm sure we have talkers here, I think I'm just lucky to not have them around when I watch a movie. I also don't watch a ton of movies, maybe 5-6 a year. And lately we've been going to this old style cinema that the average person doesn't really know about unless they live in the area. The usual patrons are uni students/staff because it's near the campus. The place looks like the game Bioshock. I always feel like I'm in Bioshock, it's awesome :)

Joe Kalicki
04-30-2010, 06:54 PM
So's your face. ;)

How much you pay the theater shouldn't have any effect on how respectable the audience is to the people around them.

dasNdanger
04-30-2010, 07:01 PM
They're not so scary once you get to know them :p

I'm sure we have talkers here, I think I'm just lucky to not have them around when I watch a movie. I also don't watch a ton of movies, maybe 5-6 a year. And lately we've been going to this old style cinema that the average person doesn't really know about unless they live in the area. The usual patrons are uni students/staff because it's near the campus. The place looks like the game Bioshock. I always feel like I'm in Bioshock, it's awesome :)

I had to google 'Bioshock'. Yes...I live under a rock. :p

das

Jonathan Callan
04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Develop your inner alpha personality. :) (<-- ironic smile :shifty:)

- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/time-to-get-tough-how-being-nasty-can-improve-your-life-792446.html

Andreas

Man, this kind of thing is really dangerous. Not to mention inaccurate. In my experience it's the people who work hard to make sure other people get what they want that are the most successful. I think part of this is a cultural difference.

Maybe it's less a problem in Europe, but a book about how to be selfish? That is the last thing we need here.

Rod Nunley
04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
How much you pay the theater shouldn't have any effect on how respectable the audience is to the people around them.

I disagree. The more you spend on a ticket the less likely you are to not be paying attention to the film.

And I would wager that my theory would work out as I've only had 1 bad movie experience at the nice theater I go to in the last ten years and you seem (though perhaps I'm wrong) to have had more frequent issues at the less expensive theater.

Joe Kalicki
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I disagree. The more you spend on a ticket the less likely you are to not be paying attention to the film.

And I would wager that my theory would work out as I've only had 1 bad movie experience at the nice theater I go to in the last ten years and you seem (though perhaps I'm wrong) to have had more frequent issues at the less expensive theater.

I saw Shutter Island (see first post of thread) at the brand new state-of-the-art theater and had more problems there then anywhere else.

You don't have more of a right to be an asshole the less you spend to get in.

And for what it's worth, concessions are still full price ($4 pops and whatever).

babydave
04-30-2010, 08:20 PM

But you go to Alamo Drafthouse, right? Those places are not models for a typical movie-going experience.

cheap theater vs full price theater comes down to basic economics and how invested the people spending money are in the movie watching experience.

All depends on how you look at it. To some people, paying $10 per ticket means they can do whatever the fuck they want while watching the movie. A second run theater makes most of their operating capital from the food they sell so kicking people out is sorta irrelevant unless the people who complained bought concession items and the ones you're kicking out didn't...then I wouldn't be surprised if that was some sort of deciding factor.

Also, a sparsely populated second run theater might be easier to handle than a sold out show at a first run theater. Speaking from experience, a large chain's corporate office values every ticket sold and wants all customers to be treated equally...even the shitty ones because they paid for a ticket too. During my entire time of employment at a movie theater, I never felt like I was given the ability or authority to handle problems the right way. They would rather everyone be pissed off and get free passes as they leave than have a manager/staff-member walk in and make a scene. One of my coworkers didn't even want to kick out an obviously drunk patron who was verbally abusive to her and other people in the theater because she was afraid she'd get reprimanded for it because that had happened to her before. So when the company you work for only cares about ass-kissing its customers and thinks its employees are a dime a dozen, that's the sort of service you're gonna get. There's at least one major chain that behaves this way, and you're likely to find employees that will avoid confrontation and in-theater problems in order to just keep their jobs until they can leave that hellhole and work for a real company.

Support locally owned theaters. Avoid the chains. For example, there's a theater here that only allows in people 21 and over for certain shows and they check ID at the door. They're locally owned and not afraid to piss off the teenagers who think they run the movie theaters now. I hope they stay in business.

Good luck watching movies in the future.

Donal DeLay
04-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Now now. If it's a cheap phone, like a pay as you go phone. And it's a nice theater. Then the experience that the offender is ruining could be just as expensive as the phone.

You now ... I don't even remember what movie it was.

Urgur the Gurgur
05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
You now ... I don't even remember what movie it was.

LOL. But still, Not completely unjustifiable. Plus, perhaps if some idiot wasn't blabing on his phone you'd have enjoyed it enough to remember.

Urgur the Gurgur
05-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Should you be quieter at a barnes and noble than at a public library, just because the library is free?

If they don't intend on paying attention to the movie they should stay at home and rent a movie. Then they can smoke cigars, get drunk, laugh like a jackass, talk on the phone all they want without bothering anyone.

Ultimate Lurker
05-01-2010, 12:15 PM
dollar theater = place for teens to get out of the house away from parents for a few hours

or place for people who are too broke to see it first-run and can't afford a babysitter, so they bring a baby with them

I went to dollar theaters all the time in high school and college. I didn't act like a jerk, but I didn't expect a wonderfully serene movie going experience.

Seriously, anymore, if you're going to a second run movie, just get it from Redbox or something. By the time it's in those theaters, it's out on dvd already. Unless it was a complete bomb that was in first run for only 2-3 weeks.

Joe Kalicki
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
dollar theater = place for teens to get out of the house away from parents for a few hours

or place for people who are too broke to see it first-run and can't afford a babysitter, so they bring a baby with them

I went to dollar theaters all the time in high school and college. I didn't act like a jerk, but I didn't expect a wonderfully serene movie going experience.

Seriously, anymore, if you're going to a second run movie, just get it from Redbox or something. By the time it's in those theaters, it's out on dvd already. Unless it was a complete bomb that was in first run for only 2-3 weeks.

Just because that stuff happens doesn't mean you should expect or tolerate it. You're still paying to go to the show and it's still the theater's responsibility to make your trip a good one.

Zac Goyette
05-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Just because that stuff happens doesn't mean you should expect or tolerate it. You're still paying to go to the show and it's still the theater's responsibility to make your trip a good one.

I agree completely. I only go to one theatre now, because they actually enforce their rules. They warn people before the shows that they will be asked to leave if they disrupt the movie. I find it sad they have to do this. If I want to talk on my phone or bullshit with people, I am not going to do it in a movie theatre. It is rude and inconsiderate. I called out three girls in a movie before because in between their talking and giggling, their phones kept going off. I finally turned around and told them to shut the fuck up or leave. My friends and I do that shit at movies all the time. My friend looked right at a guy and said I'm sorry this movie is ruining your phone call. They are rude and should be treated as such.

JamesV
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I had the strangest experience on Thursday night.

My roommate and I went to go see the midnight showing of Nightmare because why not. The Alamo up by us did not have a midnight showing so we went to a Cinemark theater in Cedar Park and apparently outside of us and maybe 5-10 other people, we stumbled upon a meet up by possible every senior at Leander High school. They let people get seated 30 minutes before show time and it was literally one of the most ridiculously loud, outrageous, offensive crowds I've ever been to a theater with (Protip: White teenagers! Saying "don't act like Negro" or "Stop been a Negro fool" means the exact same thing as it does with the other N-word).

At one point, two groups of kids got up and started having a make shift dance competition in the theater. They were doing flips off the walls, poppin n lockin, and a host of other ridiculous stuff.

Now at first, my roommate and I were just like "what the fuck?" but eventually we said fuck it and sat back and watched and laughed at them.

One of the guys was apparently keeping time because he kept updating them every 3-5 minutes (ie "You guys got six minutes left!).

Halfway through the pre-show entertainment, a woman who was on her cell phone in front of us. Got up, complained that she couldn't hear the person who she was talking to because of how loud everyone was being and complained to management and left.

Our plan was pretty much that if they didn't chill when the lights when down, we'd do the same thing (cause frankly I could give less than a fuck to watch the pre-show countdown).

But as if by magic, as soon as the first trailer hit the screen, everyone was in the seat, people stopped talking, and everyone was ready to watch the movie. Entire movie was like that -- quiet except for movie induced noises (laughs, screams, what have you).

Most surreal movie experience of my life.

oconnellmd
05-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Halfway through the pre-show entertainment, a woman who was on her cell phone in front of us. Got up, complained that she couldn't hear the person who she was talking to because of how loud everyone was being and complained to management and left.

:rofl:

JimboX
05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Saturday morning the week after a movie comes out are awesome! No one there except me.

Joe Kalicki
05-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Saturday morning the week after a movie comes out are awesome! No one there except me.

Oh great, now you told everybody the best time to see a movie! You won't be alone anymore.

Masculine Todd
05-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Let's not be coy. Personal propriety, especially that which is likely much more expensive than a movie ticket, being vandalized is an absurd response.

Donal DeLay
05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Let's not be coy. Personal propriety, especially that which is likely much more expensive than a movie ticket, being vandalized is an absurd response.

It was fun at the time, and made a point.

Masculine Todd
05-02-2010, 11:16 AM
It was fun at the time, and made a point.

Yeesh.

HomerGator
05-02-2010, 11:43 AM
At the midnight premiere of the Dark Knight some fucking asshole in the front row was shining a laser pointer at the screen at the beginning of the movie. I stood up, walked over to his seat, and slapped the pointer out of his hand. The people in the theater started applauding me. It was pretty sweet.

LordKinbote
05-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh great, now you told everybody the best time to see a movie! You won't be alone anymore.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents bought a book about Disneyworld that told them the best time to go to avoid people was November and I thought "What if everyone bought this book?"

Zac Goyette
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
At the midnight premiere of the Dark Knight some fucking asshole in the front row was shining a laser pointer at the screen at the beginning of the movie. I stood up, walked over to his seat, and slapped the pointer out of his hand. The people in the theater started applauding me. It was pretty sweet.

:thumb:
You sir, are awesome!

Evan the Shaggy
05-02-2010, 09:22 PM
On Friday night, I went to see Nightmare on Elm Street with a few friends. It was a 10:30 show. Someone brought their baby. Unbelievable.

Jacques Toochay
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
On Friday night, I went to see Nightmare on Elm Street with a few friends. It was a 10:30 show. Someone brought their baby. Unbelievable.

It's hard getting a babysitter that late at night.

Would you rather that they just left the baby in the car?

Why do you hate babies so much?

HomerGator
05-03-2010, 12:32 PM
:thumb:
You sir, are awesome!

Thanks ;)

One of the ushers ran over before anything could escalate further and got between us, then whispered to me "Dude. Go sit down before you get thrown out. I'll take care of this asshole"

He then proceeded to make lazer pointer kid and his friends leave. It was pretty spectacular. My favorite movie theater memory that doesn't involve what was on the screen :)

HomerGator
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM

If you look up 'cunt' in the dictionary, one of the definitions is 'a person(s) that brings their baby into a movie theater'

Ryudo
05-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks ;)

One of the ushers ran over before anything could escalate further and got between us, then whispered to me "Dude. Go sit down before you get thrown out. I'll take care of this asshole"

He then proceeded to make lazer pointer kid and his friends leave. It was pretty spectacular. My favorite movie theater memory that doesn't involve what was on the screen :)

Where do you go? I generally stick to Tinseltown given the choice.

I went there for TDK and there weren't any problems.

However, anytime I go to Regal on Beach, no matter what movie I am in, the auditorium is filled with retarded teenagers.

Bill!
05-03-2010, 03:37 PM

But the lesson is priceless.

Joe Kalicki
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Someone brought their kids, including a baby in a stroller when I saw The Wolfman.

But it was at the second run show, so thoughtless parenting is to be expected.

HomerGator
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Where do you go? I generally stick to Tinseltown given the choice.

I went there for TDK and there weren't any problems.

However, anytime I go to Regal on Beach, no matter what movie I am in, the auditorium is filled with retarded teenagers.

Hilarious. It was at Regal, which is why I go to Tinseltown now. In fact, I'll be there Thursday night to see a certain shellhead's badass new movie.

Rafiennes
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Thought about this thread on Sunday when I took my son to see that Disney documentary ‘Oceans’.

He was really good but got restless about 3 / 4 of the way through.

He was shifting in his seat, then wanted in my lap, then wanted back in his seat – finally I said to him ‘You’d better sit down, shut up and watch the movie or the Bendis Board is gonna be disappointed in you!’

He then flipped me off and kicked me in the nuts.

(actually he was really good during the whole movie)

Matthew Brown
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Hilarious. It was at Regal, which is why I go to Tinseltown now. In fact, I'll be there Thursday night to see a certain shellhead's badass new movie.

I usually go to the AMC in Orange Park because it's closer, but there's always some idiots. I'm going to Tinseltown Friday with a group of people, so I'll see how that goes.

CougarTrace
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
even though I can't stand people talking during a movie, I can almost tolerate it from children or kids.

but it seems its young or middle age adults talking during the movie most of the time when I go.

what bother's me most is cell phone conversations and not the kind of emergency conversations. Its the "hey girl - yeah I'm stilll at the movies. No I can talk. What's going on?" :-x

Urgur the Gurgur
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Someone brought their kids, including a baby in a stroller when I saw The Wolfman.

But it was at the second run show, so thoughtless parenting is to be expected.

Well maybe they couldn't find a sitter Joe. You ever think of that? Would you rather they just leave they kids home alone while they went to the theater? Because that or bringing them along are the only two options!

Frozen Sooner
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Went to go see "Kick-Ass" last Friday. Couldn't believe the shit that was going on-a LARGE group of 18-22 year olds were just hanging out in the entrance to the theater talking while the movie was going on. INSIDE THE THEATER.

People suck.

Darthdaw37
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street on sunday and the couple next to me just kept talking and talk, then finally I asked them if they could be quiet and the whorish look female told me to "shut your fat mouth" so I went to get more popcorn and just happened to tell the manager and got them kicked out.

Joe Kalicki
05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street on sunday and the couple next to me just kept talking and talk, then finally I asked them if they could be quiet and the whorish look female told me to "shut your fat mouth" so I went to get more popcorn and just happened to tell the manager and got them kicked out.

I would have slapped her. Literally. I would be in jail now.

Urgur the Gurgur
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I would have slapped her. Literally. I would be in jail now.

I'm with Joe. Girls like this always remind me of Sarah Silverman in the beginning of The Way of the Gun. I love that opening scene.

HomerGator
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm with Joe. Girls like this always remind me of Sarah Silverman in the beginning of The Way of the Gun. I love that opening scene.

:lol: holy shit, i forgot that was sarah silverman! you're talking about the one ryan phillipe bashes in the mouth?

Joe Kalicki
05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
:lol: holy shit, i forgot that was sarah silverman! you're talking about the one ryan phillipe bashes in the mouth?

Yes, sir!

"You like to fuck boys?"

Urgur the Gurgur
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
You wanna do the man dance? First dance is yours.

Matthew Brown
05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
You wanna do the man dance? First dance is free.

Sounds sexy.

Urgur the Gurgur
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Sounds sexy.

You know it!

Arion
05-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I have to admit I'm lucky. I usually don't see people answering their cell phones when I go to the movies.

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I am bumping this thread to try and divert this conversation out of the shooting thread.

I stand by my statement, a movie theater is no place for an infant regardless of time of day.

SMACK!
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I am bumping this thread to try and divert this conversation out of the shooting thread.

I stand by my statement, a movie theater is no place for an infant regardless of time of day.
I agree.

Magnum V.I.
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I sat next to one this morning.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 10:13 AM
wrong thread

bachman
07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
We didn't listen!

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Do you have a list of ok places for infants and the hours at which they should be present? What is wrong with, for instance, taking an infant to a two hour afternoon kids movie that they sleep through if it entertains your other child? Especially if you're prepared to leave if that infant wakes up?

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Do you have a list of ok places for infants and the hours at which they should be present?

Not really, but I would say bars and strip clubs are also places they don't need to be.

BriRedfern
07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Do you have a list of ok places for infants and the hours at which they should be present? What is wrong with, for instance, taking an infant to a two hour afternoon kids movie that they sleep through if it entertains your other child? Especially if you're prepared to leave if that infant wakes up?

It is always okay to bring a kid to a kid's movie.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Not really, but I would say bars and strip clubs are also places they don't need to be.

Hey dantheman, this is why the discussion continues in the other thread.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Apparently, not everyone feels this way.

Kevin T Brown
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Kid, yes; infant, no.

gibbEy
07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
We didn't listen!

We didn't listen!

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Kid, yes; infant, no.
Never? Why not?

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
What is wrong with, for instance, taking an infant to a two hour afternoon kids movie that they sleep through if it entertains your other child? Especially if you're prepared to leave if that infant wakes up?

As to these two questions. The problem is that even if your baby normally naps during those hours, babies wake up. It's something they are prone to do. And if they wake up in a dark loud theater they are prone to cry. When babies wake up most parents I've found try and console and quiet the child, just in case it stops soon. But for how long before they decide its time to exit is anyone's guess. And by that time the disruption has usually been made.

I'm not saying there need to be rules or laws against it. I just don't agree with it.

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey dantheman, this is why the discussion continues in the other thread.

Why is that?

Gunter
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Definitely. Whenever I go see a kid's movie I go in with a different mindset than a regular movie. I know there will be noise, excited kids, kids who won't settle down, and that's okay, because it's a kid's movie.

bachman
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
We didn't listen!

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

From the other thread: We're BFF's but have a kid and/or a valid argument and I'll consider my wrongth.

Fourthman, I have a seven-week-old, and I'd love to get some parenting tips on how you can completely ensure a child will be quiet for the length of a feature film. Right now, when my wife and I go to the grocery store and our daughter starts to fuss, it turns into a game of supermarket sweep. Sometimes it feels like 90% of parenting is replacing the pacifier when it falls out of her mouth. Babies are unpredictable! Any parent who says they can go to a movie and ensure that their infant will be quiet is lying, deluding themselves, or doesn't know their infant very well.

Cell phones in movie theaters are annoying. They're annoying when people talk on them when the movie is playing, but they're even annoying when someone forgets to silence it and it goes off, and that's why there's a huge warning at the beginning of the movie to turn it off. Babies are the same way: it's annoying when a baby is crying through a movie and the parent doesn't do anything about it, but it's still annoying to a lesser degree if the parent gets up and leaves the theater. I'd argue it's *worse* than a cell phone because a decent person can shut off their cell phone quickly without leaving their seat, but there's no guarantee that a decent person can turn their baby off in any reasonable amount of time. And even the most decent parents say to themselves "I can get this under control without having to leave," thus delaying the inevitable and annoying everyone around them.

A couple of points you have brought up:

1. There are lots of things that parents are doing that are much worse that we should be worrying about.

Well...you're right, but you have to see how much of a straw man argument that is. No one said "We should prosecute parents who bring their kids to the movies before we prosecute child molesters." You can argue that parents shouldn't bring their kids to the theater and still think that all those other things are worse.

(Whoops, hold on, daughter is crying...gotta replace the pacifier.)

2. What if a midnight showing is the only time you can all be together?

First of all, that's a huge, unlikely scenario. But more importantly, going to a movie theater is not "family time" for a 3-month-old. My kid has just begun acknowledging my existence past the point of "huge, blurry shape in front of me." I can't imagine it will be *that* much different in a month and change. So going to a movie is certainly not for the baby's benefit since they're not getting anything out of the deal.

3. It entertains my other child! I'm prepared to leave!

I feel bad for the other child that you're prepared to let a baby's crying ruin his/her day at the movies. There's only two situations I can see: Either one parent and two children are there and then everyone has to leave when the baby cries, or two parents (or whatever) and two children are there and then there was really no reason for one of those parents and the baby to be there in the first place.

Look, I know you're a lover of culture. Me too. But do you know how many movies I've missed in the past seven weeks? My baby had the GALL to be born right at the height of summer movie season. I mean, selfish, right?

But, you know what? That's being a parent. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices, for their sanity and for the sanity of the rest of the world who doesn't give a shit about you or your baby.

I'm already dreading the 2 hour plane ride we're taking in October. *shudder*

So, there you go. I have a kid, and I *think* I have a valid argument. Prepare to admit you're wrongth?

xyzzy
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM

There used to be a local theater by me that had baby brigade showings where the specific purpose was to welcome people with babies who otherwise wouldn't be able to go to the theater. Of course, you didn't need to have a baby to attend, but everybody there understood that a certain amount of crying was going to occur. Doesn't seem problematic to me.

Ryudo
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Dear Urgur and Smack,

I'm sorry I drove past the movie theater with my child in the back seat the other day on the way to the store.

His potential incessant wailing would have been a complete distraction to you, even though he was smiling and alternating between drinking his bottle and laughing at my funny faces.

Again, I apologize.

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
There used to be a local theater by me that had baby brigade showings where the specific purpose was to welcome people with babies who otherwise wouldn't be able to go to the theater. Of course, you didn't need to have a baby to attend, but everybody there understood that a certain amount of crying was going to occur. Doesn't seem problematic to me.

Obviously, that is acceptable. If there is a theater that they set aside a movie time or a whole screen for parents with infants, more power to them. It would be cool.if they sold discounted tickets to those shows for people that don't have kids, but don't mind the noise as well.

Ryudo
07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Fourthman, I have a seven-week-old, and I'd love to get some parenting tips on how you can completely ensure a child will be quiet for the length of a feature film. Right now, when my wife and I go to the grocery store and our daughter starts to fuss, it turns into a game of supermarket sweep. Sometimes it feels like 90% of parenting is replacing the pacifier when it falls out of her mouth. Babies are unpredictable! Any parent who says they can go to a movie and ensure that their infant will be quiet is lying, deluding themselves, or doesn't know their infant very well.

Cell phones in movie theaters are annoying. They're annoying when people talk on them when the movie is playing, but they're even annoying when someone forgets to silence it and it goes off, and that's why there's a huge warning at the beginning of the movie to turn it off. Babies are the same way: it's annoying when a baby is crying through a movie and the parent doesn't do anything about it, but it's still annoying to a lesser degree if the parent gets up and leaves the theater. I'd argue it's *worse* than a cell phone because a decent person can shut off their cell phone quickly without leaving their seat, but there's no guarantee that a decent person can turn their baby off in any reasonable amount of time. And even the most decent parents say to themselves "I can get this under control without having to leave," thus delaying the inevitable and annoying everyone around them.

1. There are lots of things that parents are doing that are much worse that we should be worrying about.

Well...you're right, but you have to see how much of a straw man argument that is. No one said "We should prosecute parents who bring their kids to the movies before we prosecute child molesters." You can argue that parents shouldn't bring their kids to the theater and still think that all those other things are worse.

First of all, that's a huge, unlikely scenario. But more importantly, going to a movie theater is not "family time" for a 3-month-old. My kid has just begun acknowledging my existence past the point of "huge, blurry shape in front of me." I can't imagine it will be *that* much different in a month and change. So going to a movie is certainly not for the baby's benefit since they're not getting anything out of the deal.

I feel bad for the other child that you're prepared to let a baby's crying ruin his/her day at the movies. There's only two situations I can see: Either one parent and two children are there and then everyone has to leave when the baby cries, or two parents (or whatever) and two children are there and then there was really no reason for one of those parents and the baby to be there in the first place.

Look, I know you're a lover of culture. Me too. But do you know how many movies I've missed in the past seven weeks? My baby had the GALL to be born right at the height of summer movie season. I mean, selfish, right?

But, you know what? That's being a parent. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices, for their sanity and for the sanity of the rest of the world who doesn't give a shit about you or your baby.

So, there you go. I have a kid, and I *think* I have a valid argument. Prepare to admit you're wrongth?

First, congratulations on your seven-week-old!

Second, you DO know you're allowed to pick the kiddo up/move them around when they cry at the store, right?

Just checking. :)

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Dear Urgur and Smack,

I'm sorry I drove past the movie theater with my child in the back seat the other day on the way to the store.

His potential incessant wailing would have been a complete distraction to you, even though he was smiling and alternating between drinking his bottle and laughing at my funny faces.

Again, I apologize.

Apology accepted, thank you. That is more than I usually get from the people that bring their babies into the theater to cry.

gibbEy
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Dear Urgur and Smack,

Again, I apologize.

Don't your kids have a restraining order keeping them at least 500 yards away from all movie theaters?

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
As to these two questions. The problem is that even if your baby normally naps during those hours, babies wake up. It's something they are prone to do. And if they wake up in a dark loud theater they are prone to cry. When babies wake up most parents I've found try and console and quiet the child, just in case it stops soon. But for how long before they decide its time to exit is anyone's guess. And by that time the disruption has usually been made.

I'm not saying there need to be rules or laws against it. I just don't agree with it.

Then again, I say your problem is with people who don't take their kids out soon enough. And if you're not empathetic to the situation of others who are probably driving the box office of a kids movie, then I think the problem is that you're seeing them when it's less likely infants are going to be present.

BriRedfern
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Kid, yes; infant, no.

No. It is a kid's movie. Bring any kid you want. If you are an adult going to see a kid's movie, you are SOL if can't deal with the kids there. I mean, come on.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Why is that?
Because you hadn't given a serious answer yet.

Deej
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Apparently, not everyone feels this way.

Not everyone feels that these Batman movies are kid movies...

Ryudo
07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
I still would not bring my almost 1 year old to the movies. Not for us; fortunately if we want to see a movie, we have my parents to watch him.

However, grouping in an entire subsection of moviegoers just because they could potentially be a jerk and not realize when to take their kid out is not something I necessarily agree with.

But anyway. :)

*GROUP HUG*

Petey Parker
07-20-2012, 11:19 AM

I hear you on the kid ruining the summer movie season. So selfish of them to do that. My son was born in July last year and I missed Captain America in theatres because of it. Thanks a lot Parker!

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Because you hadn't given a serious answer yet.

:lol: I seriously don't want to see babies at the bar either. I am on my phone at work, I'm sorry I took so long to actually reply.

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Then again, I say your problem is with people who don't take their kids out soon enough. And if you're not empathetic to the situation of others who are probably driving the box office of a kids movie, then I think the problem is that you're seeing them when it's less likely infants are going to be present.

You are right. I'm not a baby hater. I love kids, hopefully soon I will join your ranks as a parent.

So I do not blame the babies for crying. But is there a way to tell if the person bringing an infant into the theater is responsible enough to remove them before they've become a dusturbance?

SMACK!
07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I still would not bring my almost 1 year old to the movies. Not for us; fortunately if we want to see a movie, we have my parents to watch him.

However, grouping in an entire subsection of moviegoers just because they could potentially be a jerk and not realize when to take their kid out is not something I necessarily agree with.

But anyway. :)

*GROUP HUG*
Ummm ok.

*Hugs*

Hey, who brought a baby to the group hug? Selfish inconsiderate jerk.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Your points here are mostly anectdotal and flimsy. If you can get an infant on a schedule, and it can be done, you can reasonably predict when they'll be asleep. They aren't volcanoes. Not all infants are your seven week old. My wife took our infant, who is on a schedule, to a movie and predicted she would sleep through it and did. For me, that it can be done obviates the wrongness of the idea that anyone who is unable to go to a kids movie without an infant shouldn't be able to go at all. I'd like to point out the likelihood that because you're aware the behavior of the decent people you describe could also mean that there are more decent people who leave at the early warning signs and maybe stand outside the theater until the kid clams down. You wouldn't be aware of them while your attention is on the film if there's no disturbance.

First, let me say that I think it's kinda bullshit to pull quotes out of the context of the other thread. This particular quote was in response to an angry poster and was addressing the level of outrage in that specific post. In fact in the other thread I say things like "It's not the best idea" and "They're not the parents of the year."

Again, a bullshit pull. This was about a six year old attending a midnight show, not an infant.

Single parent: I think if you think you have a reasonably well behaved older kid who you can allow to sit by themselves in the kids movie and allow yourself a minute or two outside the theater to assess whether you can calm the infant down and then make a decision to stay or go based on that. Two parents: I don't think the possibility that one person's entertainment will be ruined is enough of a reason not to pursue the chance to be entertained. We were going to do this for Brave, in fact, but when the reviews came back iffy, I let my wife and older daughter go. Had it been a critical hit, I would've taken the chance - and it would've been worth it for all three of us to possibly see it (and three of us to enjoy it). Hell, you could get shot by yourself for that matter (in regard to potentially not being entertained).

I've made my sacrifices over the last five years as well. I didn't take my daughter to a film until she was three, but now that she is of movie going age, we're not really prepared to deny her the cinematic experience just because she has a baby sister. So I guess what I'm saying is have another one and we'll talk. Kidding aside, this isn't about what I do, because my behavior (outside of my wife taking both kids to an afternoon show of Madagascar 3 last Saturday) is in line with the "opposition." I just don't think you can make a snap decision that just because a parent brings a kid to a midnight showing or an infant to a violent film that you can make the judgement they're terrible parents. I am fully willing to admit that in my own experience, most times those people will show other in theater signs that they are terrible parents. But I don't think you can hold their behavior against all parents who choose to do that.

Ray G.
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
No. It is a kid's movie. Bring any kid you want. If you are an adult going to see a kid's movie, you are SOL if can't deal with the kids there. I mean, come on.

Yep. I'll always try to see a very early showing or wait a week to see a new animated movie. It's a fact of life.

Now, the dumb young mother who brought her screaming baby to the early morning showing of Prometheus, on the other hand...

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
You are right. I'm not a baby hater. I love kids, hopefully soon I will join your ranks as a parent.

So I do not blame the babies for crying. But is there a way to tell if the person bringing an infant into the theater is responsible enough to remove them before they've become a dusturbance?
No, but you don't know which people with cell phones in the theater are going to be assholes with them in theater either.

"Oh you're an on-call doctor who will absolutely have to take the call? Please leave."

BriRedfern
07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I didn't take my daughter to a film until she was three, but now that she is of movie going age, we're not really prepared to deny her the cinematic experience just because she has a baby daughter.

If what you say here is true, and your six year old has a daughter, you are indeed a horrible parent. Possibly one of the most horrible parents ever and your movie going habits are much easier to understand in that context. There should be a parent jail for people like you.

:nonono2:

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
No, but you don't know which people with cell phones in the theater are going to be assholes with them in theater either.

"Oh you're an on-call doctor who will absolutely have to take the call? Please leave."

Look, I'm not saying there should be a rule or law preventing people from taking a baby to the theater. I'm not even making any judgements about their parenting abilities. I'm just saying that it is inconsiderate, just like cellphones. If an on-call doctor decided to take in a movie while he is "on-call" I'd say he's a dick if he has to answer his phone. Nobody has to go see a movie, and if their actions ruin the experience for other paying moviegoers they're being rude.

Urgur the Gurgur
07-20-2012, 11:57 AM
If what you say here is true, and your six year old has a daughter, you are indeed a horrible parent. Possibly one of the most horrible parents ever and your movie going habits are much easier to understand in that context. There should be a parent jail for people like you.

:lol:

Kedd
07-20-2012, 11:58 AM
There is no "appropriate" public place to take an infant. They will be loud. they will shit themselves, they will probably vomit. There are viral agents everywhere, loud noises, adult content in the form of violence, language or sex on display.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Look, I'm not saying there should be a rule or law preventing people from taking a baby to the theater. I'm not even making any judgements about their parenting abilities. I'm just saying that it is inconsiderate, just like cellphones. If an on-call doctor decided to take in a movie while he is "on-call" I'd say he's a dick if he has to answer his phone. Nobody has to go see a movie, and if their actions ruin the experience for other paying moviegoers they're being rude.
It can be, but I also think there are people who have their infants under control, or who can tell before a disturbance, that there might be a disturbance and can actively avoid one.

BriRedfern
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
There is no "appropriate" public place to take an infant. They will be loud. they will shit themselves, they will probably vomit. There are viral agents everywhere, loud noises, adult content in the form of violence, language or sex on display.

I think the thought is that there should be some places where one can expect a reprieve from that. A nice restaurant (No, TGIFriday's does not count). The spa. A movie theater showing an adult-oriented film. You know, places where peace and quiet are expected and respected by the patrons 99% of the time.

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 12:26 PM

I took a breath, corrected my typo, and can find this funny now.

gibbEy
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Biggest laugh of the day. :)

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
It's a bit amusing that you shot down one person's argument because they didn't have personal experiences of having a kid, and then when I came in with my personal experiences of being a parent, suddenly those arguments are invalid because they're anecdotal, and besides, I shouldn't talk until I've had *two* children. It sure is hard to have a discussion when the prerequisites for being allowed to participate keep changing. :)

Another straw man argument: I never said that people who bring their infants to a movie theater are terrible parents. In fact, I think I made it pretty clear that most of them are probably decent parents who made a bad decision. I have accidentally left my cell phone on during a movie theater and have had it go off. I felt embarrassed and turned it off immediately. I don't think I'm a terrible person. I was still in the wrong. I would even be in the wrong if I left my cell phone on, didn't think I would get a call during the time of the movie...and didn't! I ended up bothering no one, but I still didn't take the precautions that are expected of me.

Not all babies are volcanoes (and mine isn't either...she actually sleeps pretty well during the night), but few babies are clockwork toys. The word I used was "unpredictable" and I'd argue that the word applies for even the best babies. Any time you take your baby *anywhere*, you're taking a gamble that they're not going to have a meltdown. The odds might even be heavily stacked in your favor. Regardless of the likelihood, the chips you're gambling with are the enjoyment level of other moviegoers if you decide to take your baby to the movies.

I would never ever *ban* parents from bringing infants into the theater. But parents who choose to do so surely can understand why other people would give them the evil eye. Other people don't know what kind of schedule your child is on. Other people don't know how you'll react if the baby does end up crying.

As for denying your daughter the cinematic experience, well, I know I don't have *two* children so I'm clearly unqualified, but I don't see why the two choices are "bring both to the movies" or "bring neither to the movies." It seems to me from my unqualified position that bringing one child to the movies might be extremely beneficial. You'd be letter her know that even though there's a new kid in the family, you're still willing to do things with her and her alone.

Single parent: I think if you think you have a reasonably well behaved older kid who you can allow to sit by themselves in the kids movie and allow yourself a minute or two outside the theater to assess whether you can calm the kid down and then make a decision to stay or go based on that. Two parents: I don't think the possibility that one person's entertainment will be ruined is enough of a reason not to pursue the chance to be entertained. Hell, you could get shot by yourself for that matter.

No sarcasm on this one: I *don't* have two kids, so I guess this is really a judgment call on the parent to decide whether to let a young child sit in a movie theater alone. I don't really think of theaters as bastions of safety (hell, Fred Willard might be at that screening!) but that's another conversation for another day.

On a side note: We're both film lovers. I personally wouldn't want to put MYSELF in a position where I might miss part of a movie. So, in a sense, *not* taking a baby into a movie theater stems from a little bit of selfishness on my part.

As to my other points:

First, let me say that I think it's kinda bullshit to pull quotes out of the context of the other thread. This particular quote was in response to an angry poster and was addressing the level of outrage in that specific post. In fact in the other thread I say things like "It's not the best idea" and "They're not the parents of the year.

I agree it's important to put things in perspective.

Again, a bullshit pull. This was about a six year old attending a midnight show, not an infant.

Well...you got me there.

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM

My father is a doctor. My wife is a doctor. Usually, they choose not to go to movies when they are on-call, but on the off-chance that they do, they make absolutely sure their phones are on vibrate, and even then, they're extremely embarrassed about it.

BriRedfern
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I took a breath, corrected my typo, and can find this funny now.

I'm glad. I never would have posted it if I thought you would take it as an insult to your family man. Just a funny typo.

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
It can be, but I also think there are people who have their infants under control, or who can tell before a disturbance, that there might be a disturbance and can actively avoid one.

Here you have a point...most babies do not go from asleep to screaming immediately.

They usually look more like this: My Daughter Wakes Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ePEb-7T-E&feature=g-upl)

Fourthman
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
It's a bit amusing that you shot down one person's argument because they didn't have personal experiences of having a kid, and then when I came in with my personal experiences of being a parent, suddenly those arguments are invalid because they're anecdotal, and besides, I shouldn't talk until I've had *two* children. It sure is hard to have a discussion when the prerequisites for being allowed to participate keep changing. :)
The two kid thing was a joke. You can tell because it's followed by "Kidding aside." As far as Adrian is concerned (who I assume you're talking about), don't take what I said to him seriously as he didn't actually present an argument. Smack and Urgur are who I'm talking to, if you have a point besides theirs make it I'll respond to it.

Another straw man argument: I never said that people who bring their infants to a movie theater are terrible parents. In fact, I think I made it pretty clear that most of them are probably decent parents who made a bad decision. I have accidentally left my cell phone on during a movie theater and have had it go off. I felt embarrassed and turned it off immediately. I don't think I'm a terrible person. I was still in the wrong. I would even be in the wrong if I left my cell phone on, didn't think I would get a call during the time of the movie...and didn't! I ended up bothering no one, but I still didn't take the precautions that are expected of me.

I compare babies to cell phones specifically to dispute the idea that no infant should be allowed in a theater because you never when they'll go off. If you believe there are circumstances in which an infant should be in a theater, I have no issue with you

Not all babies are volcanoes (and mine isn't either...she actually sleeps pretty well during the night), but few babies are clockwork toys. The word I used was "unpredictable" and I'd argue that the word applies for even the best babies. Any time you take your baby *anywhere*, you're taking a gamble that they're not going to have a meltdown. The odds might even be heavily stacked in your favor. Regardless of the likelihood, the chips you're gambling with are the enjoyment level of other moviegoers if you decide to take your baby to the movies.

To varying degrees. This can be mitigated by knowing your infant. And if you're at a kid's film, which is what we're discussing in this thread, then you're probably not there for yourself and can pay attention for the warning signs and actively prevent a disturbance.

I would never ever *ban* parents from bringing infants into the theater. But parents who choose to do so surely can understand why other people would give them the evil eye. Other people don't know what kind of schedule your child is on. Other people don't know how you'll react if the baby does end up crying.
I didn't say I couldn't understand it. But evil eye is not articulating that the person is a terrible parent, which is what was done here.

As for denying your daughter the cinematic experience, well, I know I don't have *two* children so I'm clearly unqualified, but I don't see why the two choices are "bring both to the movies" or "bring neither to the movies." It seems to me from my unqualified position that bringing one child to the movies might be extremely beneficial. You'd be letter her know that even though there's a new kid in the family, you're still willing to do things with her and her alone.
Again, what I understood was being discussed in this thread is an infant's presence in a theater. So that's where my example responses came from. If you read my last para, you'll see that my wife and daughter saw Brave without me or my infant daughter.

Other than that, I think we're cool.

Kedd
07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Two true stories of my jaunt to the comic shop today: the shop I go to is about 15 or 20 blocks from my job so I take public transportation there. I hop on the trolley, it's pretty packed, and sitting across from me is a family. Husband, wife, daughter that looked to be about 8 or 9 and son that looked to be about 3 or 4. The son is being loud while he and the daughter are playing some game that only made sense to them probably. Anyway, the kid is loud, piercingly so, but he was having a good time and I smiled despite not having a moment of peace on my ride. Such is life.
Second story: As I'm walking up the block to my shop a man is getting his kid strapped into one of those bike seats for babies, the kid is maybe 1 or 2. Randomly, the kid just screams at the top of his lungs and the giggles and the dad says "I know1 It's outrageous!" The kid screams again and giggles again and the dad says "It's insane!" As I pass by the kid screams again, starts to giggle and waves at me. I smiled despite having this really loud kid screaming his lungs out because he was having a good time and seeing that kid have a good time was slightly better than a quiet walk down the street.

I think the thought is that there should be some places where one can expect a reprieve from that. A nice restaurant (No, TGIFriday's does not count). The spa. A movie theater showing an adult-oriented film. You know, places where peace and quiet are expected and respected by the patrons 99% of the time.

I don't believe there is such a place outside of the home. Be it a child or an adult, there is often a disturbance of some kind in any public venue. There's nothing wrong with expecting a modicum of "peace" or civility, of course, but there's no way to ensure it in any public space.

King of Mars
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Finally, the long anticipated revelation of the folks who took their four month old to TDKR!

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html

Deej
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Two true stories of my jaunt to the comic shop today: the shop I go to is about 15 or 20 blocks from my job so I take public transportation there. I hop on the trolley, it's pretty packed, and sitting across from me is a family. Husband, wife, daughter that looked to be about 8 or 9 and son that looked to be about 3 or 4. The son is being loud while he and the daughter are playing some game that only made sense to them probably. Anyway, the kid is loud, piercingly so, but he was having a good time and I smiled despite not having a moment of peace on my ride. Such is life.
Second story: As I'm walking up the block to my shop a man is getting his kid strapped into one of those bike seats for babies, the kid is maybe 1 or 2. Randomly, the kid just screams at the top of his lungs and the giggles and the dad says "I know1 It's outrageous!" The kid screams again and giggles again and the dad says "It's insane!" As I pass by the kid screams again, starts to giggle and waves at me. I smiled despite having this really loud kid screaming his lungs out because he was having a good time and seeing that kid have a good time was slightly better than a quiet walk down the street.

Those are two sweet stories! I hope next time you're in a movie theater, you have a similar experience!

Cth
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I wish I could somehow make a thread that consisted of movie theater etiquette, tipping, politics and piracy.. I think the internet would explode.

Gunter
07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Finally, the long anticipated revelation of the folks who took their four month old to TDKR!

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html

The story isn't written well. But from what I'm reading the dad abandoned his fiance, and his two kids, while he ran off.

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Well, there you go! They *have* to go out! They *have* to do things!

LordKinbote
07-20-2012, 04:03 PM
The story isn't written well. But from what I'm reading the dad abandoned his fiance, and his two kids, while he ran off.

We may not all be able to agree on whether you take your infant to the movies, but can we agree that, when shit goes down, you take them *away* from the movies?

The Funketeer
07-20-2012, 04:03 PM

The movie theaters by us have a "baby friendly" movie time in the morning when mom's are encouraged to bring their little ones. The keep the lights on a little brighter and the volume a little lower and let them park their strollers in the aisles. What I'd like them to do also is create an adults only time when anyone under 17 is prohibited from seeing the movie, even an animated film.

Gunter
07-20-2012, 04:06 PM
We may not all be able to agree on whether you take your infant to the movies, but can we agree that, when shit goes down, you take them *away* from the movies?

He said he wondered where Ethan was but realized he could not go back to get him. Rohrs finally jumped over the balcony and ended up outside.

He said Legarreta called him from another phone and he drove back to the theater. They were eventually taken to the hospital and released.

What a piece of cowardly shit.

Cth
07-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Wow. He had to drive back.

russw
07-20-2012, 04:27 PM
What a piece of cowardly shit.

and what a moron for telling the world what a cowardly shit he is... this d-bag deserves the internet meme fame that is surely coming his way

the_wallcrawler
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I would never ever *ban* parents from bringing infants into the theater. I would. It's a dick move and there is no way to rationalize it.

Thudpucker
07-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Found a more detailed account. He still comes off as a cowardly shit though:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-colorado-shooting-mother-20120720,0,7292877.story

But then about 20 minutes into the movie, Legarreta saw someone open the emergency exit door and walk inside. “I saw him pull something out and throw it into the crowd.” The lobbed canister flew over people’s heads and nearly hit a girl, who screamed. “I thought, is this a prank?” Legarreta said. Then she saw flashes in the dark as the gunman opened fire.

“Get down!” yelled Rohrs, who was holding the baby.

Legarreta pulled her sleeping daughter off the seat next to her and onto the floor. “Is this how I am going to die?” she thought. She couldn’t see her boyfriend in the smoke and worried her daughter was not protected enough, so she rose up to adjust their positions. That’s when she was hit.

“I felt this tingling feeling,” and she screamed: “I think I got shot!”

A man in the row behind her yelled, “So did I!”

She could just make out Rohrs trying to get up the stairs carrying Ethan, and then she saw him trip. Her infant son was lying on the stairs crying. In a second, she reached out and pulled him to her. Lying on the ground with her two children cradled to her chest, she did not know what to do.

“If I stand up -- if I move -- I will get shot again,” she thought. But a stronger instinct took over: “I need to get out. My kids are not going to die in here.”

With one child on each hip and a badly wounded leg, she ran for the exit.

When she got outside, she couldn’t find her boyfriend, and feared the worst. “Help me!” she called out. A girl gave her a cellphone and she called Rohrs, who found her in the parking lot. He helped Legarreta into his truck and drove her to the hospital. She was treated and released around 6 a.m.

Gunter
07-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Found a more detailed account. He still comes off as a cowardly shit though:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-colorado-shooting-mother-20120720,0,7292877.story

The mom deserves a medal. The sperm donor deserves a kick in the nuts.

C.B. Nerdlinger
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
When I saw The Dark Knight Rises today a cellphone went off for a while before whoever shut it off, so I assume it was a lady who had it in her purse and needed to dig it out. That doesn't bother me too much, I've forgotten to turn my phone off in the show before. But the people who answer it. . . I have a different opinion on them.

Dave S.
07-21-2012, 03:57 AM
I was at a movie once were a guy had one of those walkie-talkie phones that nobody uses anymore. And it kept going off and he kept talking back. After the 3rd or 4th time, EVERYONE was yelling at the guy. And one guy got up and was ready to fight the guy over it.

Kedd
07-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Those are two sweet stories! I hope next time you're in a movie theater, you have a similar experience!

:mistrust: I'm not huge on going to theaters because people, generally speaking, are annoying assholes. I've been in situations where crying babies distracted me during a movie. I got over it. It's not a huge deal. Annoying for a moment and then quickly forgotten.