PDA

View Full Version : Should Artists & Writers be given positions of power at a publisher?

Epic Conventions
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I thought this might be a good topic. Especially with the recent DC news.

If someone is an incredible artist or writer does that mean they should awarded positions that allow them to be running the company? Are they the best choice since they know the industry?

Or should people who've studied business and earned a degree be given those positions, and those talented artist & writers simply be paid more money?

DaveCummings
02-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Yes they should. Joe Quesada becoming Editor in Chief was very good for Marvel. The good thing is that a writer or an artist knows how to deal with the talent, because they were on the other side of the desk themselves.

Ryudo
02-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Absolutely they should. You cannot discount Stan Lee's contributions whatsoever (although he was more editor-turned-writer).

Why put a guy in a suit in charge of something he knows next to nothing about? That's like I was reading the news this morning and a former executive at Pepsi is now in charge of DirecTV... makes no sense to me. The same is the case with comics. I have no issue whatsoever with current or former creators becoming more in charge of the material they have worked with for a while and/or love (see also Tom Brevoort and Axel Alonso).

Taxman
02-19-2010, 08:45 AM
One gets that position because the executives decide that the creator has the qualities they want in someone who helps steer the ship. If a creator is deemed a failure in management, it is as much or more on the people who elevated him to that level as it is the person in question.

Jason California
02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I think that would depend on the position and the creator.

I am pretty sure that Jim Lee has a business degree. He was also the owner of Wildstorm before selling it to DC. He has a history in management.

Ryudo
02-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I am pretty sure that Jim Lee has a business degree. He was the owner of WIldstorm before selling it to DC.

As far as I know all he has is a psychology degree.

Ray G.
02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I'd argue that they're the best choice. Promoting from within ensures that the boss man knows the ins and outs of the business like no one else.

JamesV
02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd argue that they're the best choice. Promoting from within ensures that the boss man knows the ins and outs of the business like no one else.

In this case (the DC example) I agree. But I don't always think its the best choice.

I think there is no absolute here and not every artist or writer is qualified to be in a power position just like not every editor/publisher/exec is capable of being in a creative position.

To be fair, though, I think there are more artists/writers capable of being in those power positions, then execs capable of being in the creative position.

Patch
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm fine with it, especially when it's artists. They understand the work that goes into the job.

RickLM
02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
It seems to be the age-old model in all facets of publishing. Newspaper writers become editors and some of them keep moving up the ranks. It makes sense in a lot of ways.

DAVE
02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Uhm, some should, some shouldn't?

Doug
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Depends on the creator.

Some would work, others wouldn't.

I can honsetly see guys like Bendis or Leob getting the job after Quesada steps down.

However I can't imagine a guy like Morrison being very good in an editorial capacity.

Hate_Prime
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
If they are also good editors/administrators/executives, why not?

panco
02-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Depends on the creator.

Some would work, others wouldn't.

I can honsetly see guys like Bendis or Leob getting the job after Quesada steps down.

However I can't imagine a guy like Morrison being very good in an editorial capacity.

More likely : Bendis getting the job after Quesada steps up.

mario
02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm fine with it, especially when it's artists. They understand the work that goes into the job.

Carmine Infantino!

bartleby
02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Uhm, some should, some shouldn't?

No, I think all writers and artists who are incredible should be awarded positions of power that allow them to be running the company.

NickT
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Maybe and maybe not. Being a good artist or writer doesn't mean you know how to do the job well, but doesn't mean you DON'T know either.

Plus they shouldn't be in a position directly affecting their own work IMO.

Alexander Hamilton
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess it depends on the position and the individual, but more often than not I would say yes.