PDA

View Full Version : I think Dan Didio just got more power at DC...

SteveFlack
02-18-2010, 06:44 AM
...fuck...

Jim Lee and Dan DiDio Named Co-Publishers DC Comics

Geoff Johns to Serve as Chief Creative Officer

John Rood Named EVP, Sales, Marketing and Business Development
Patrick Caldon Named EVP, Finance and Administration

(February 18, 2010 – New York, NY and Burbank, CA) DC Entertainment, founded in September 2009 to unleash the power of the DC Comics library of characters across all media platforms, has named its executive management team, including new co-publishers of DC Comics and a Chief Creative Officer, as well as heads of Sales/Marketing/Business Development and Finance/Administration. Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, made the announcement today.

The new senior executive team includes Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, who have been named Co-Publishers of DC Comics, and Geoff Johns, who will serve as Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment. Additionally, John Rood has been named Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Business Development, and Patrick Caldon will serve as Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration. Each of these executives will report directly to Nelson.

“DC Entertainment’s new executive team is a creative ‘dream team,’ with accomplishments and talent unrivaled in the business,” said Nelson. “This announcement continues and underscores DC’s legacy as the ultimate destination for creators. We’ll benefit enormously from the deep experience this team represents, while re-energizing the direction and focus of the company. I’m excited and honored to have each of them with me at the helm of DC Entertainment.”

“With this new leadership team, Diane will be able to fully and respectfully integrate DC’s brand and characters, not only as key content drivers in the film division, but across all of the businesses of Warner Bros. and Time Warner,” said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “I am very proud and excited about the accomplished executives who are charged with expanding this powerful library. They each have a diverse and complementary skill-set and are deeply committed to contributing to the DC Comics legacy.”

Prior to his current post, Lee served as Editorial Director, where he oversaw WildStorm Studios and was also the artist for many of DC Comics’ bestselling comic books and graphic novels, including “All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder,” “Batman: Hush” and “Superman: For Tomorrow.” He also serves as the Executive Creative Director for the upcoming DC Universe Online massively multiplayer action game from Sony Online Entertainment.
Lee is an award-winning comic book illustrator/creator/publisher who started his professional career at Marvel Comics where his work on the X-Men continues to hold the all-time sales record for single issue sales at eight million copies sold in one month. At Marvel, he also drew the Punisher and co-created many characters, the most popular being Gambit, featured in 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” feature film. In 1992, he started his own production company, WildStorm Productions, and co-founded Image Comics, an independent comics company which quickly grew to become the number-three North American comics publisher. His most notable creations, “WildCats” and “Gen 13,” saw life beyond comic books as a CBS Saturday morning cartoon and as a direct-to-video animated movie distributed by Disney, respectively. In 1998, he left Image Comics and sold WildStorm to DC Comics.

DiDio most recently served as Senior Vice President and Executive Editor, DC Universe, overseeing the editorial department for the DC Universe imprint, including the ongoing adventures of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and scores of heroes and villains. He also worked to develop new titles with the industry’s premier writers and artists. At DC Comics, DiDio has spearheaded such bestselling projects as “All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder,” “Identity Crisis,” Green Lantern, Teen Titans and The Outsiders.

Before joining DC in 2002, DiDio was with Mainframe Entertainment, where he most recently served as Senior Vice President, Creative Affairs, overseeing the development, distribution, marketing and promotion of all Mainframe’s television properties. Prior to that, he served as Executive Director of Children’s Programming for ABC, where he was also a publicity manager, having started his television career at CBS, working in a variety of positions.
Johns builds on his current role at DC from being one of today’s most prolific, popular and award-winning contemporary comic book writers with this new executive role. He is a New York Times bestselling author who has written highly acclaimed stories revitalizing Green Lantern, Superman, the Flash, Teen Titans, and the Justice Society of America for DC Comics.

Johns began his comics career creating and writing “Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.” for DC Comics while at the same time working with film director Richard Donner. After acclaimed runs on Flash, Teen Titans and the bestselling “Infinite Crisis” mini-series, Johns co-wrote a run on Action Comics with his mentor, Donner. Johns has also written and produced for various other media, including the acclaimed “Legion” and “Absolute Justice” episodes of Warner Bros. Television’s “Smallville” and Adult Swim’s “Robot Chicken” and “Titan Maximum.” He also wrote the story of the DC Universe Online massively multiplayer action game from Sony Online Entertainment.

Rood returns to Warner Bros. after 10 years with the Disney ABC Television Group, where he most recently was Senior Vice President of Marketing, ABC Family. While at ABC, he also consulted for ABC News during the recent transitions at “Good Morning America” and “ABC World News with Diane Sawyer.”

Prior to Disney, Rood worked for six years at Warner Bros. Consumer Products, negotiating promotional deals with national advertisers using Warner Bros.’ properties, including the DC Comics characters. He has also worked in promotions for Equity Marketing on the Burger King account and in advertising for Leo Burnett on the McDonald’s and Miller Brewing accounts.

Caldon most recently served as Executive Vice President, Finance and Operations of DC Comics and MAD Magazine. Before that, he served as Senior Vice President, Finance and Operations, and his other posts at DC include Vice President, Finance and Operations, and Controller, the position in which he joined the company in 1985. Prior to joining DC Comics, Caldon spent a decade at Warner Communications in corporate accounting and as Senior Vice President and CFO of the Cosmos soccer team (owned by Warner Communications at the time).
DC Entertainment, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment, is charged with strategically integrating the DC Comics business, brand and characters deeply into Warner Bros. and all its content and distribution businesses. DC Entertainment utilizes the expertise the Studio has in building and sustaining franchises to prioritize the DC properties as key titles and growth drivers across all of the Studio, including feature films, television, interactive entertainment, direct-to-consumer platforms and consumer products. The DC Comics publishing business is the cornerstone of DC Entertainment, releasing approximately 90 comic books through its various imprints and 30 graphic novels a month as well as continuing to build on its creative leadership in the comic book industry.

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
As Publisher, he'll likely be more in the business side of things now.

It looks like Geoff Johns just basically took over his old position (different title, but he seems to be the guy steering DC's editorial direction), which is VERY good news.

CougarTrace
02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
I would think Didio being on the business side of things would be worse for DC, but who knows

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I would think Didio being on the business side of things would be worse for DC, but who knows

No, the worst part of his tenure at DC has been his overinvolvement in editorial decisions. See 2006.

juampi
02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Well... Congratulations to him!

Ryudo
02-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Holy poo, that's awesome news for Geoff Johns! :)

RickLM
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone, it's a Dream Team over at DC.

Trey Krimsin
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
This could mean that Johns writes less comics since he has more responsibilities. DC's sales may have a significant drop in the first month or two of this new regime. Of course, this is all speculation.

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 06:59 AM
This could mean that Johns writes less comics since he has more responsibilities. DC's sales may have a significant drop in the first month or two of this new regime. Of course, this is all speculation.

He already confirmed that he's staying on his four main projects, so that won't happen.

Since one of those is a bi-weekly series for a year, once that's over he'll be able to take on at least one more book.

Jason California
02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
yay for Jim Lee.

michealdark
02-18-2010, 07:07 AM
No, the worst part of his tenure at DC has been his overinvolvement in editorial decisions. See 2006.

True. I think this move is probably a good thing for him, and for those under him. He gets to focus on getting the books out there and marketing them, and the writers and artists (hopefully) don't have to worry as much about big crossover events and editorial trying to drive the direction of the stories.

I wonder what this means for Geoff's writing duties, Jim's art duties and running of Wildstorm, and the EIC position though.

Adrian B AWESOME
02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Hey everyone, it's a Dream Team over at DC.

No Jordan, No Bird, No Magic? Some Dream Team.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
I think that this could be a good thing. Lee is highly underestimated as a businessman, although I'm fairly sure that his aptitude had been isolated to his own interests and properties, but still. DiDio may actually excel in this new position and nobody knows the root of what makes DC characters enduring and how best to present that then Johns. Well, I don't mean nobody universally, I mean currently under DC's roof.

Something that I really appreciated from Marvel is when at an editorial retreat years ago, and this is me paraphrasing, Quesada basically asked the room questions like: "Why do we make Iron Man comics? What is this character and what does he do that no one else does on the shelf?" I would hope that such a meeting is to come for DC. They really do have fantastic properties that so many people recognize immediately, but the magic kind of stops there. So many people recognize Aquaman, yet don't know his real name. I was on the phone with my DC rep yesterday pleading for Aquaman trades. The character has been around since the golden age, yet there are less than 6 active tpbs an interested person can buy and most of them are not applicable to the character that is in stories now. My point didn't really get far unfortunately.

Patch
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
yay for Jim Lee.

Yes.

Jim sent me an email when I was at DC saying how much he enjoyed my art.
I like Jim.

And, yes, I'm name-dropping.

Ryudo
02-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Yes.

I like Jim.

Patrick Zircher!

michealdark
02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
I love hanging out on boards with creators. I feel like a fly on the wall.

Doug
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes.

I like Jim.

But with his new position at DC, now that you moved to Marvel he feels your work has gotten sloppy and looks rushed. ;)

CougarTrace
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

true enough. I stand corrected.

But, I always thought he wasn't great at marketing as Quesada is. But, I may be entirely wrong.

Jef UK
02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
I associate with Jim Lee with several unfinished products these days. But good for him?

Patch
02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
But with his new position at DC, now that you moved to Marvel he feels your work has gotten sloppy and looks rushed. ;)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame. :D

DAVE
02-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Yay corporate restructuring!

Criden
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Something that I really appreciated from Marvel is when at an editorial retreat years ago, and this is me paraphrasing, Quesada basically asked the room questions like: "Why do we make Iron Man comics? What is this character and what does he do that no one else does on the shelf?" I would hope that such a meeting is to come for DC.

What makes you think DC hasn't had such a meeting?

They really do have fantastic properties that so many people recognize immediately, but the magic kind of stops there.

In what sense does the magic stop there?

Patch
02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
gimme a beat...

I draw Thunder Gods and fist-flyin' feats
For the corporation comics that thrill all the geeks
The fans form a line that'll wrap around the block
Sayin' Marvel is great and DC is not
There's even talent who feels this, but it's time they were rocked
So listen when I take the floor, make sure the gates are locked
This war between the publishers is for suckas
Don't be a dumb mutha fucka
If you like one, you're gonna dig the otha
This war is for suckas

Superior Kiai
02-18-2010, 07:58 AM
gimme a beat...

This war is for suckas

:rock::rock::rock:

michealdark
02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Corporate conglomerations
Get in the way
Of what creators really have to say
Free the beast
Unleash the hell
Of what's inside that is to tell
Write and write
Draw until you're content
But then editorial starts to vent
They tell this
They tell you that
They tell that your women are drawn too fat
They make rewrites
They change the plot
When you should tell them to just stop
They think they're cool
They claim their bold
But man I'm telling that creator-owned is the way to go

SteveFlack
02-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey Mickey.
You're so fine.
You're so fine, you blow my mind.
Hey Mickey.
Clap.
Clap.
Clap.
Hey Mickey.

The Hodag
02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey Mickey.
You're so fine.
You're so fine, you blow my mind.
Hey Mickey.
Clap.
Clap.
Clap.
Hey Mickey.

http://www.liketotally80s.com/images/mickey.jpg

Doug
02-18-2010, 08:25 AM
gimme a beat...

This war is for suckas

MC Z in the house!

God damn am I white!

TIP
02-18-2010, 08:32 AM
MC Z in the house!

God damn am I white!

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/brightest-day-700x944.jpg

or

Where the White Dougs at?
http://www.bartcop.com/blazing-white-women.jpg

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Seems right to me. He helped DC win Publisher of the Year with what he's been doing over there and has slowly and steadily been trying to rebuild the individual lines over there. The promotions for Johns and Lee are also well deserved. Good move all around.

Patch
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
:rock::rock::rock:

MC Z in the house!

I'll be performing at WizCon.

Shirtless and in my Thor helmet (as usual).

Bedlam66
02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
...fuck...
Quit crying you baby. DC comics has been Fucking Awesome the last 10 years or so and Dan has been EIC the whole time. When you Dan haters start complaining you sound like ray after they Killed Robins Slut.

Chinaski
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Seems right to me. He helped DC win Publisher of the Year with what he's been doing over there and has slowly and steadily been trying to rebuild the individual lines over there. The promotions for Johns and Lee are also well deserved. Good move all around.

I honestly dont think that Dan Didio did all that much to help them win that award. Sure he was smart enough and business savvy enough to lock down Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison as their lead talent and then (mostly) get the heck out of their way - but even with that there are small touches of editorial messing in there too.

I dont think he is the devil, I just look at him as the cartaker and the beneficiary of the hard works of 2 extremly talented and productive writers.

The Johns and Lee promotions are the real coup here. If Didio was gone next week DC would be just fine - hell I would make an arguement that they might even be better.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I think that this could be a good thing. Lee is highly underestimated as a businessman, although I'm fairly sure that his aptitude had been isolated to his own interests and properties, but still. DiDio may actually excel in this new position and nobody knows the root of what makes DC characters enduring and how best to present that then Johns. Well, I don't mean nobody universally, I mean currently under DC's roof.

Something that I really appreciated from Marvel is when at an editorial retreat years ago, and this is me paraphrasing, Quesada basically asked the room questions like: "Why do we make Iron Man comics? What is this character and what does he do that no one else does on the shelf?" I would hope that such a meeting is to come for DC. They really do have fantastic properties that so many people recognize immediately, but the magic kind of stops there. So many people recognize Aquaman, yet don't know his real name. I was on the phone with my DC rep yesterday pleading for Aquaman trades. The character has been around since the golden age, yet there are less than 6 active tpbs an interested person can buy and most of them are not applicable to the character that is in stories now. My point didn't really get far unfortunately.

I don't know whether to :roll: or :nonono2:

Have you at least been keeping up with all the DC News?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188452

TIP
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't know whether to :roll: or :nonono2:

Have you at least been keeping up with all the DC News?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=188452

Wait...there's MORE news?!?

What's going ON?!?

:scared:

Akira
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Good for Jim Lee! :D

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Wait...there's MORE news?!?

What's going ON?!?

:scared:

It'll be okay. Surely someone fell asleep at the wheel and allowed some DC news to reach the front pages of the website. Once those individuals are fired everything will be right in the world and you'll have all the Marvel and Haunt coverage you could hope for.

:hugs:

DAVE
02-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Quit crying you baby. DC comics has been Fucking Awesome the last 10 years or so and Dan has been EIC the whole time. When you Dan haters start complaining you sound like ray after they Killed Robins Slut.

You're quite the charming fellow, aren't you?

DAVE
02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Outside of this press release, we really have no idea what this means for the company at all, day to day.

Supreme Convoy
02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Great news!

I know there was speculations that it was going to be a Warner Bros. suit but I'm thankful they promoted guys at DC.

CougarTrace
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I honestly dont think that Dan Didio did all that much to help them win that award. Sure he was smart enough and business savvy enough to lock down Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison as their lead talent and then (mostly) get the heck out of their way - but even with that there are small touches of editorial messing in there too.

I dont think he is the devil, I just look at him as the cartaker and the beneficiary of the hard works of 2 extremly talented and productive writers.

The Johns and Lee promotions are the real coup here. If Didio was gone next week DC would be just fine - hell I would make an arguement that they might even be better.

I would say thats probably right

Doug
02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/brightest-day-700x944.jpg

or

Where the White Dougs at?
http://www.bartcop.com/blazing-white-women.jpg

Definately the latter.

:rofl:

Howlett
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I wonder what this means for Geoff's writing duties, Jim's art duties and running of Wildstorm, and the EIC position though.

Well, I'm betting it'll mean we won't get new issues of God Damn Batman or Wildcats this year.

Jokes aside, good for him and Johns! Jim will always be among my favourite artists, and Johns is one of the only writers from DC that excites me on a regular basis.

Doug
02-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Outside of this press release, we really have no idea what this means for the company at all, day to day.

Geoff wrote a letter that was posted on The Source:
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/02/18/a-note-from-geoff-johns/

“WOW.”

That’s the first thing I said too when I heard about the team Diane wanted to form to guide DC Entertainment both in and out of the comic book pages and into the not-so-distant future. That not-so-distant future being today.

And in the words of my Tiny Titans collaborators, “AW YEAH, DC COMICS!”

The second thing I said to Diane was, “Um, what about writing? I love writing. I can’t stop writing!” Diane smiled and said, “…writing’s part of the job!” Right away, I knew I was in. This was a dream come true. So what am I going to be doing besides writing Green Lantern, The Flash, Batman: Earth One and Brightest Day? What’s “Chief Creative Officer” even mean? It sounds like a suit job…thankfully I’m still wearing my t-shirts. Even in the blizzards here in New York. But before I get into what new things I’ll be doing, I want to tell you why I’ve decided to jump into DC Entertainment full on, as if it wasn’t obvious already.

1) The People.

I’ve worked with Dan and Jim over the years and, honestly, there are very few people I admire more in my life, inside or outside of the comic book world. Dan’s leadership, endless energy and devotion to pushing boundaries is infectious and Jim’s pure talent, enthusiasm and dedication to exploring the outlets of the future inspiring. In the short time I’ve come to know John and Patrick, I feel a sense of progression and history forging together, both of which make DC what it is.

And now there’s Diane. Someone whose passion and understanding of the value of the creative process is undoubtedly going to lead DC Entertainment into an incredible new era for all of us fans, soon-to-be-fans and fellow creators – the writers and artists who create the lifeblood of this industry. I can’t wait for you to meet Diane. Her warmth and sincerity has made me feel like I’ve known her my entire life. Just like DC Comics. Which brings me to the second reason this totally rocks.

2) The Mythologies.

There is no place on Earth that has a more diverse and deep universe of characters and worlds. From Atrocitus to Y: The Last Man. My love for DC started when I first saw the Flash take on Captain Cold in the Challenge of the Super-Friends. I never ate my Honeycomb that fast. It when I bought my first comic books in 1985, including Crisis on Infinite Earths, alongside my Super Powers figures and only grew over the years until I broke into the industry myself.

So what does a “Chief Creative Officer” do? Well, I still wear t-shirts and write and go to conventions, but I’ll be doing a whole lot more too.

Under the leadership of Jim and Dan, I’ll continue writing and giving my creative input as I have been in comic books. But expanding onto that, Diane’s asked me to take our comic book world, embrace it (as I do) and use it to lead the creative charge on bringing it all to film, toys, television, video games, animation and beyond. The Justice Society appearing on Smallville was only the beginning.

Let’s all let this sink in a little more: Martin Campbell of Casino Royale is directing Green Lantern. And over the last few months, I’ve met with Ryan Reynolds to talk all-things Green Lantern, I’ve worked closely with Green Lantern producer Donald Deline and screenwriter Michael Goldenberg on the script (Aw yeah, Kilowog!) and I’ve realized that the Green Lantern comics and film and everything growing out of them (wait until you see what!) is only the beginning of what DC Entertainment has coming our way under Diane and Jeff Robinov’s leadership. And I have to say something about Jeff too. He’s made Warner Brothers the most successful and artist-friendly studio out there and that will carry over into DC Entertainment. He knows what we know: the potential of DC is infinite. We couldn’t be in better hands on that front. Expect the characters we love, the A-list and the ones even you and I might barely know, to be shepherded into the “outside world” with respect, care and unbridled energy. They’ll be plenty of Batman and Superman, but there are a whole lot of characters from the DC Universe, Mad, Vertigo and Wildstorm waiting to be unleashed.

They might say, “The sky is the limit!” at other places when looking at the new opportunities ahead. They think too small. We all know the sky isn’t the limit at DC. The universe isn’t even the limit. There isn’t one.

I was going to close this out with one of my favorite phrases from Blackest Night – “All Will Be Well!” – but I think another one can sum up DC Entertainment and the people and creative teams behind it.

“Beware Our Power!”

Aw.

Yeah.

Geoff

So he'll still be writing the 4 books he has planed, and will be doing more in terms of film and television.

It sounds to me like DC/WB want Green Lantern to be their Iron Man, setting up a universe in which other films can take place.

mario
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM

It means another step towards DC moving to LA since Jim Lee lives in San Diego and Geoff Johns in LA.

TIP
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
It'll be okay. Surely someone fell asleep at the wheel and allowed some DC news to reach the front pages of the website. Once those individuals are fired everything will be right in the world and you'll have all the Marvel and Haunt coverage you could hope for.

:hugs:

:swoon:

DAVE
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM

So he'll still be writing the 4 books he has planed, and will be doing more in terms of film and television.

It sounds to me like DC/WB want Green Lantern to be their Iron Man, setting up a universe in which other films can take place.

What info does that give us that isn't in the press release? That he likes Dan and Jim and DC Comics? :lol:

I'm just saying, corporate hierarchies are byzantine and complex and most people outside of them really don't appreciate that fully. For us to say "Great news!" because we like Geoff Johns is one thing, but for us to really pretend we understand the ramifications of any of these moves and cast any truly informed approval or disapproval is a little misguided. It's like pretending to be sure we know Michael Jordan would make a great basketball executive because he was a great and competitive player.

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Um, hi.

Ryudo
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Wow, that's special.

Superior Kiai
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Mouth.

Brain.

Learn to connect them.

Howlett
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

:neutral:

Oooooooooookay...

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
What makes you think DC hasn't had such a meeting?

In what sense does the magic stop there?

I don't know that they haven't had such a meeting. I sincerely hope that they have. And do regularly.

Just from the storefront perspective, especially with walkthrough traffic, people recognize characters like Aquaman and more recently Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but they either a) don't know anything about the characters because the information is not out there or followed up on OR the character is not on the shelves or not there in a recognizable way. I've been behind the counter long enough to see kids go from not knowing Martian Manhunter to knowing that he is J'onn J'onzz from the Justice League cartoon.

I'm just saying that the recognition is there with the public to a degree, but there is a disconnect when it comes to buying the comic books the characters come from or being able to buy something with the characters as they know them in it.

I don't feel like that made any sense, but I tried.

Marc Lombardi
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Just from the storefront perspective, especially with walkthrough traffic, people recognize characters like Aquaman and more recently Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but they either a) don't know anything about the characters because the information is not out there or followed up on OR the character is not on the shelves or not there in a recognizable way. I've been behind the counter long enough to see kids go from not knowing Martian Manhunter to knowing that he is J'onn J'onzz from the Justice League cartoon.

I'm curious. Would that same number of fans also not know the secret identities of Daredevil (even though he had a movie), Silver Surfer (his role in FF2), etc? Is this something DC doesn't do with their "secondary" characters that you feel Marvel is doing?

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
For the record and clarity's sake since I think that some people see anything I say about DC as a negative, "I think this is probably a good move."

I also think that this will allow for some fresh monthly writers to move upwards and show what they can do. I hope that Tony getting the Corps gig is just the start of what I'm talking about.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know that they haven't had such a meeting. I sincerely hope that they have. And do regularly.

I'm just saying that the recognition is there with the public to a degree, but there is a disconnect when it comes to buying the comic books the characters come from or being able to buy something with the characters as they know them in it.

I don't feel like that made any sense, but I tried.

Up until Iron Man hit theaters did the general public know Tony Stark was Iron Man? Do most people know who Steve Rogers is? I'd say most people outside of comics generally only would recognize Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and David Banner (maybe Logan now). Explaining Aquaman's current status quo is close to impossible since the character is in transition right now. It's similar to trying to explain Xorn to someone. He's a character people recognize from cartoons but there haven't been that many great comic stories written about him hence the lack of trades. It was the same way with Iron Man. Up until Bendis/Ellis/Fraction got a hold of him the only big Iron Man stories in trade were Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars. Most of the collected material is new stuff.

SteveFlack
I'm curious. Would that same number of fans also not know the secret identities of Daredevil (even though he had a movie), Silver Surfer (his role in FF2), etc? Is this something DC doesn't do with their "secondary" characters that you feel Marvel is doing?

I've always believed that there are only four secret identities non-comic book fans know: Spider-Man is Peter Parker, Batman is Bruce Wayne, Superman is Clark Kent, and The Hulk is Bruce Banner.

Anybody else is interchangeable.

sbeasley
No Jordan, No Bird, No Magic? Some Dream Team.

Not even...

http://bionicsponge.com/DVD%20movie%20list%20HTML/pages/images/B00009AOAZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

I guess that I'm not articulating what it is properly. I've noticed that my internet speak is progressively downgrading and I can't get my points across like I used to.

People, for example, come in and take note of the Wonder Woman by Alex Ross poster on display and talk about how much they love Wonder Woman. But their love is not for the comic book. And I don't mean any particular creative team. I'm saying that people know the Wonder Woman image and a small bit of how she works as a character, but that's it. That seems to be where their interest stops. And that's where the disconnect is. So bridging that disconnect between the recognition of their product and the actual purchase of what they offer should be a priority one challenge. People all over the world have known of characters like Wonder Woman literally all their lives, but that fact does not seem to translate across the board of sales and products.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
For the record and clarity's sake since I think that some people see anything I say about DC as a negative, "I think this is probably a good move."

I also think that this will allow for some fresh monthly writers to move upwards and show what they can do. I hope that Tony getting the Corps gig is just the start of what I'm talking about.

Bedard on GLC is a good move but DC has other writers besides Morrison and Johns. Gail Simone is doing great work on Wonder Woman and Secret Six. JT Krul is getting a big push on the Green Arrow event and will probably wind up on another big book sooner than later. Winick has the new Justice Leage and maybe Batman again. Sterling Gates is doing some nice work on Supergirl and was supposed to be doing a Kid Flash book. Both companies have a few big name guys you automatically think of when you hear the company name and several other talented folks working on lesser named books doing a great job and are slowly rising up the ranks.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Up until Iron Man hit theaters did the general public know Tony Stark was Iron Man? Do most people know who Steve Rogers is? I'd say most people outside of comics generally only would recognize Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and David Banner (maybe Logan now). Explaining Aquaman's current status quo is close to impossible since the character is in transition right now. It's similar to trying to explain Xorn to someone. He's a character people recognize from cartoons but there haven't been that many great comic stories written about him hence the lack of trades. It was the same way with Iron Man. Up until Bendis/Ellis/Fraction got a hold of him the only big Iron Man stories in trade were Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars. Most of the collected material is new stuff.

I feel like Aquaman (and Hawkman) have been in transition for years now. Years. What you say is true. All it takes is one good movie and your product becomes a welcomed worldwide household name. Which is why Disney's Marvel move was sound from their point of view. Time Warner already had thousands of properties under their roof that could have been the next Blade or Iron Man, unknown concepts to the public that became known overnight via some sort of media project, and they've had them for decades. If you need to be reminded what Superman and Batman are, then they've got you covered. But they have so much more than that. So I'm hoping that they will actually start looking deep into what they have and start doing something/ anything/ everything with what they have. And this combo of DiDio/ Lee/ Johns seems like they would have the combined energy and vision to do just that.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I guess that I'm not articulating what it is properly. I've noticed that my internet speak is progressively downgrading and I can't get my points across like I used to.

People, for example, come in and take note of the Wonder Woman by Alex Ross poster on display and talk about how much they love Wonder Woman. But their love is not for the comic book. And I don't mean any particular creative team. I'm saying that people know the Wonder Woman image and a small bit of how she works as a character, but that's it. That seems to be where their interest stops. And that's where the disconnect is. So bridging that disconnect between the recognition of their product and the actual purchase of what they offer should be a priority one challenge. People all over the world have known of characters like Wonder Woman literally all their lives, but that fact does not seem to translate across the board of sales and products.

But this is where people get the perceived DC bias from. All your examples of poor sales/poor execution/poor retailer involvement/poor capitalization of name brand mass market awareness are in relation to DC when Marvel has the same problems. The Spider-Man films broke open weekend records. Iron Man was a smash hit and the sequel is one of the most anticipated films of this year. Why are those books only selling 60,000 copies (estimated a month). The Hulk may be one of the most well known pop culture comic characters there is? Why isn't his book a top 5 hit?

jamestolliver
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Congrats to Lee and Johns!

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I feel like Aquaman (and Hawkman) have been in transition for years now. Years. What you say is true. All it takes is one good movie and your product becomes a welcomed worldwide household name. Which is why Disney's Marvel move was sound from their point of view. Time Warner already had thousands of properties under their roof that could have been the next Blade or Iron Man, unknown concepts to the public that became known overnight via some sort of media project, and they've had them for decades. If you need to be reminded what Superman and Batman are, then they've got you covered. But they have so much more than that. So I'm hoping that they will actually start looking deep into what they have and start doing something/ anything/ everything with what they have. And this combo of DiDio/ Lee/ Johns seems like they would have the combined energy and vision to do just that.

Is this about movies or the comics now?

The Blade phenomenon came and went and it translated into nothing for the comics side of things. DC has films in development for several of their other properties like Flash and Shazam (by Johns), Green Lantern and a rumored Green Arrow film but just because they're slower out of the gate for getting some big films up I don't believe speaks to their ability as a publisher/company. Besides they've had the animated Batman, Superman and JLI series on for years as well as Smallville, Human Target and direct to video releases while Marvel's been relatively quiet on that front until recently. I don't think film/television success translates into much in terms of new readers anyway.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Bedard on GLC is a good move but DC has other writers besides Morrison and Johns. Gail Simone is doing great work on Wonder Woman and Secret Six. JT Krul is getting a big push on the Green Arrow event and will probably wind up on another big book sooner than later. Winick has the new Justice Leage and maybe Batman again. Sterling Gates is doing some nice work on Supergirl and was supposed to be doing a Kid Flash book. Both companies have a few big name guys you automatically think of when you hear the company name and several other talented folks working on lesser named books doing a great job and are slowly rising up the ranks.

You're right, everything is great all the time.

I'm sorry you didn't deserve that.

Here's something to debate though that fits in with what we are talking about. And there's no right or wrong answer, just something to talk about.

If Bendis left comics right now to focus on home, classes, and other pursuits, Marvel Comics would:

If Geoff Johns left comics right now to focus on video games, television, movies, and other pursuits, DC Comics would:

Every company will have core creators in their era, but building the next generation is important. Giving opportunities to not just have books come out monthly, but allowing creators to show their ability, creativity, team spirit, and other such qualities so the companies know who the next wave of guys is. That's extremely important.

TIP
02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.the-isb.com/images/BatmanHappy.jpg

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 11:14 AM
But this is where people get the perceived DC bias from. All your examples of poor sales/poor execution/poor retailer involvement/poor capitalization of name brand mass market awareness are in relation to DC when Marvel has the same problems. The Spider-Man films broke open weekend records. Iron Man was a smash hit and the sequel is one of the most anticipated films of this year. Why are those books only selling 60,000 copies (estimated a month). The Hulk may be one of the most well known pop culture comic characters there is? Why isn't his book a top 5 hit?

I'm not saying that everyone who watched the Hulk movie must by Hulk comics. I'm saying that the Hulk, who is a great parallel to Wonder Woman' iconic status for this conversation, is something that people understand how it works. From kids to adults, how the Hulk works is very easy to understand. Sure, its a simple concept really, but regardless of where it came from people have an understanding of how it works so that they might want to pick up a Hulk comic or watch a cartoon dvd sight unseen. I feel as though people recognize Wonder Woman visually, just like the Hulk, but that is the end of it. I don't think they know who she is, what she does, or why she does what she does. If DC can bridge that disconnect, then that would be a major public relations breakthrough. Does this make any sense? I'm probably not making sense.

Or maybe I'm imagining the whole thing. I've been known to do that.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
You're right, everything is great all the time.

I'm sorry you didn't deserve that.

Here's something to debate though that fits in with what we are talking about. And there's no right or wrong answer, just something to talk about.

If Bendis left comics right now to focus on home, classes, and other pursuits, Marvel Comics would:

If Geoff Johns left comics right now to focus on video games, television, movies, and other pursuits, DC Comics would:

Every company will have core creators in their era, but building the next generation is important. Giving opportunities to not just have books come out monthly, but allowing creators to show their ability, creativity, team spirit, and other such qualities so the companies know who the next wave of guys is. That's extremely important.

If Bendis left I think Brubaker and Fraction would be the go to guys on his books or maybe someone like Reed. The company would be fine and some purists would be happy that they could get the 'real' Avengers back.

If Johns left I think Tomasi and Krul would be the go to guys (Morrison I see as in his own world) and someone like O Malley would step up like Reed at Marvel. The company would be fine and some purists would be happy that they could be rid of the Silver Age fetish.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.the-isb.com/images/BatmanHappy.jpg

That Batman frightens me

TIP
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
That Batman frightens me

http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/shelikestowatch/files/2008/12/batman-panel.JPG

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying that everyone who watched the Hulk movie must by Hulk comics. I'm saying that the Hulk, who is a great parallel to Wonder Woman' iconic status for this conversation, is something that people understand how it works. From kids to adults, how the Hulk works is very easy to understand. Sure, its a simple concept really, but regardless of where it came from people have an understanding of how it works so that they might want to pick up a Hulk comic or watch a cartoon dvd sight unseen. I feel as though people recognize Wonder Woman visually, just like the Hulk, but that is the end of it. I don't think they know who she is, what she does, or why she does what she does. If DC can bridge that disconnect, then that would be a major public relations breakthrough. Does this make any sense? I'm probably not making sense.

I think the only disconnect is that mainsteam audiences who are aware of Wonder Woman and Hulk don't really care about the comics or the origins within. Do you think more non comic readers can identify who the Hulk is? Would they guess his first name is Bruce or David? Did he get his powers from getting caught in a gamma bomb explosion trying to save Rick Jones or in a self contained experiment locked in a room. Is his enemy General Ross or Jack McGee? Does he turn into a green dumb brute or grey devious smart guy?

Doug
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
That Batman frightens me

He looks like he's having a hearty laugh during a freeze frame at the end of an old sitcom.

Master Jack Rabbitt
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't find Wonder Woman to be all that complicated...

WhindamPryce
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

This is true. There are many characters on both side of the aisle that have this disconnect with readers that you describe. But characters that are supposed to be uber-important within their universes (WW is huge in the DCU, Hulk is too kinda (though I think Thor would've been a better comparison?)) need to be easily explainable to people. WW is not at this point.

But hey, a good movie from either company can change the landscape at any time, so it's all relative I guess.

TIP
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
He looks like he's having a hearty laugh during a freeze frame at the end of an old sitcom.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2523512368_fe62c520e1_o.jpg

Xdestron
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
hahahaha this topic is so ironic and hilarious.

People get so worried about Dan Didio ruining things at DC when they have been doing nothing but gaining on Marvel in market share and producing quality monthlies for the past year.

Meanwhile, you have Brian Michael Bendis singlehandedly cheapening and exploiting the entire goddamn Avengers franchise for an entire decade, not to mention putting out two of the worst events I have ever seen in back-to-back years. On top of that you have moron editors and "Spidey brain trust" members doing everything they can to ruin that character and decades of history.

Yes, truly Dan Didio is the one to be feared. Lets all continue to post here and encourage Bendis and Marvel's whoring of the Avengers franchise. Maybe next they can ruin Deadpool before he has a chance to... oh wait.

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 11:28 AM

People get so worried about Dan Didio ruining things at DC when they have been doing nothing but gaining on Marvel in market share and producing quality monthlies for the past year.

Meanwhile, you have Brian Michael Bendis singlehandedly cheapening and exploiting the entire goddamn Avengers franchise for an entire decade, not to mention putting out two of the worst events I have ever seen in back-to-back years. On top of that you have moron editors and "Spidey brain trust" members doing everything they can to ruin that character and decades of history.

Yes, truly Dan Didio is the one to be feared. Lets all continue to post here and encourage Bendis and Marvel's whoring of the Avengers franchise. Maybe next they can ruin Deadpool before he has a chance to... oh wait.

:lol:

jamestolliver
02-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Did it rain on your wedding day?

Howlett
02-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Sounds like someone got out of the wrong side of an empty bed this morning :lol:

Xdestron
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

No, I took my Marvel(tm) brand blinders off.

TIP
02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SG5aqK7Kt_I/AAAAAAAAEGM/wkM02GLq824/s400/funny_Batman.jpg

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 11:34 AM
This thread is really bringing out all kinds.

Doug
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2523512368_fe62c520e1_o.jpg

The "Finger Control" is what makes this picture extra creepy.

TIP
This thread is really bringing out all kinds.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/swiftian/052707/batman_superman.jpg

TIP

Keep buffing that Giant Penny.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
02-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Hooray! for creator bashing!

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Is this about movies or the comics now?

The Blade phenomenon came and went and it translated into nothing for the comics side of things. DC has films in development for several of their other properties like Flash and Shazam (by Johns), Green Lantern and a rumored Green Arrow film but just because they're slower out of the gate for getting some big films up I don't believe speaks to their ability as a publisher/company. Besides they've had the animated Batman, Superman and JLI series on for years as well as Smallville, Human Target and direct to video releases while Marvel's been relatively quiet on that front until recently. I don't think film/television success translates into much in terms of new readers anyway.

This is about you, Andrew!

I'm trying to talk about visual recognition. When people come in to the shop, I kind of notice what it is they recognize and what they don't. Like I said, I remember a time when no one (meaning non-hardcore comics fans) knew who Martian Manhunter was. Now many, especially kids, know who he is. But he is not on the shelf. I've also come to see people learn that there are more than one Flash and more than plenty GLs.

What you're talking about are relatively recent developments. DC has has decades to start the full court press with their properties. So I hope that is what we have coming our way.

Howlett

"With control of a stiff finger, you too can make someone make a face like this!"

DAVE
The important thing is, no one make fun of Tony Gidelarmo's threads.

Superior Kiai

What wedding??

Superior Kiai
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Hooray! for creator bashing!

Fuck them all!!!

What do they know about comics???

NOTHING!!! That's what they know. :-x

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SG5aqK7Kt_I/AAAAAAAAEGM/wkM02GLq824/s400/funny_Batman.jpg

:)

jamestolliver
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
What wedding??

:lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

Roger
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
best news i heard all day!!!!!!

TIP
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
What wedding??

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/AWH7FC.jpg

Trey Krimsin
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I know these moves encompass all of DC Entertainment and will push initiatives to promote the various properties. However, I do hope these moves will establish a more cohesive DC Universe. The origins of Hawkman established by Geoff Johns were altered by a one-shot done by Jim Starlin. Another instance involving Starlin was his Death of the New Gods mini-series, a series that contrasted with Grant Morrison's plans for the New Gods in Final Crisis. Finally, I can only say one word: Countdown. Geoff Johns becoming the CCO of DC Entertainment may be a move that centers on promoting and exploiting properties, but I hope cohesion in the comics universe is a priority.

WhindamPryce
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Fuck them all!!!

So you're saying they don't know anything? Like, zero is the number of things that they know?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. :)

Doug
02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
With the coming of the New Guard, does this mean the Marks (Waid and Millar) will finally get their chances to write Superman in continuity?

Patch
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Fuck them all!!!

Yippee, Kiai!

oh, wait

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
With the coming of the New Guard, does this mean the Marks (Waid and Millar) will finally get their chances to write Superman in continuity?

Waid, maybe. Depends on which Waid shows up.

Millar? God no. :)

SteveFlack
02-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought Didio and Waid didn't see eye to eye on Superman, hence why he's not been allowed near him.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Dude, don't get my hopes up like that.

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought Didio and Waid didn't see eye to eye on Superman, hence why he's not been allowed near him.

I think it was actually Levitz. I was under the impression the falling-out over Superman may have happened before Didio's time.

jamestolliver
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm still recovering from the disappointment that Busiek's Superman run was. I really wanted great things from it. :(

Superior Kiai
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Yippee, Kiai!

oh, wait

:rofl:

Hyperstorm
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
About bloody time!

Good riddance, Levitz. Maybe Alan Moore will write something new over there now. Probably not, but it's nice to pretend now that his chief rival is nothing more than a writer.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
About bloody time!

Good riddance, Levitz. Maybe Alan Moore will write something new over there now. Probably not, but it's nice to pretend now that his chief rival is nothing more than a writer.

wat

Doug
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Dude, don't get my hopes up like that.

When Millar's not being the Uberhype Machine, he can write some really good books (Superman: Red Son, his run on Superman Adventures, Ulitmates Vol. 1).

I'd love to see a return to form for him. Not writing something that has to be the greatest thing ever written, but a solid entertaining story.

Chinaski
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
About bloody time!

Just wait until the new Suits in charge at WB / DC give the greenlight to Watchmen 2 - or the Prequel stories featuring Rohrscach and the gang. If Rich Johnson is right, Paul Levitz was the guy preventing those things from happening.

I dont think there is any way in hell that Alan Moore will ever write any new material for eithe of the Big 2. Hell, he has even gone so far as to say if Marvel ever gets the clearance to reprint his Marvel / Miracle Man stories to take his name off it. He is never coming back

Doug
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Just wait until the new Suits in charge at WB / DC give the greenlight to Watchmen 2 - or the Prequel stories featuring Rohrscach and the gang. If Rich Johnson is right, Paul Levitz was the guy preventing those things from happening.

I dont think there is any way in hell that Alan Moore will ever write any new material for eithe of the Big 2. Hell, he has even gone so far as to say if Marvel ever gets the clearance to reprint his Marvel / Miracle Man stories to take his name off it. He is never coming back

Where did he say that? I'd be curious to read it.

Chinaski
02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Where did he say that? I'd be curious to read it.

I cant find a direct quote from him, but I remember reading it on Bleeding Cool - i think thats where it was - during the summer when all the hoo-ha was going on with Marvels acquisition of the character.

here is a 2 part interview with him - covering a range of topics

http://www.mania.com/alan-moore-reflects-marvelman_article_117413.html

http://www.mania.com/alan-moore-reflects-marvelman-part-2_article_117529.html

Doug
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I cant find a direct quote from him, but I remember reading it on Bleeding Cool - i think thats where it was - during the summer when all the hoo-ha was going on with Marvels acquisition of the character.

here is a 2 part interview with him - covering a range of topics

http://www.mania.com/alan-moore-reflects-marvelman_article_117413.html

http://www.mania.com/alan-moore-reflects-marvelman-part-2_article_117529.html

Cool. Thanks!

Chinaski
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is the direct quote from the interview:

Kurt Amacker: I understand you were informed about the purchase by Marvel by Neil Gaiman’s lawyer, right after Comic-Con. Have you heard anything else?

Alan Moore: After being initially informed by Neil’s lawyer, I had to think about it for a couple of days. I decided that while I’m very happy for this book to get published—because that means money will finally go to Marvelman’s creator, Mick Anglo, and to his wife. Mick is very, very old, and his wife, I believe, is suffering from Alzheimer’s. The actual Marvelman story is such a grim and ugly one that I would probably rather that the work was published without my name on it, and that all of the money went to Mick. The decision about my name was largely based upon my history with Marvel—my desire to really have nothing to do with them, and my increasing desire to have nothing to do with the American comics industry. I mean, they’re probably are enough books out there with my name on them to keep the comics industry afloat for a little bit longer. I left a message to that effect with Neil. I’ve since heard back from the lawyer upon another issue, and he said that he was certain that would be the case—that Marvel would accede to my request. That looks like the way it will be emerging. And, Neil will be able to finish his Marvelman story because he has a completely different relationship with Marvel than I have with them—or rather, don’t have. The main thing is that I will feel happy to know that Mick Anglo is finally getting the recompense he so richly deserves. And, I will have distanced myself from a lot of the deceit and ugliness that surrounded the relaunching of Marvelman as a character.

Patch
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM

I think Watchmen prequels would be cool.

(claps hands over ears--nyaaah nyaaah nyaaahh-- I can't hear you)

Bedlam66
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
You're quite the charming fellow, aren't you?
I try.

Sorry I was pissed off when I wrote that about something else. I guess you can feel the anger huh?

Patch
02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Alan Moore: I mean, they’re probably are enough books out there with my name on them to keep the comics industry afloat for a little bit longer.

At least he's down-to-earth and modest...

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Watchmen prequels would be cool.

(claps hands over ears--nyaaah nyaaah nyaaahh-- I can't hear you)

I don't have an issue with it. It's a license to print money for them at DC if they do any prequel or sequel. Though a prequel would probably cause a lesser amount of Internet fury

Bedlam66
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Um, hi.
Sorry

Wow, that's special.
Sorry

Mouth.

Brain.

Learn to connect them.
Sorry

:neutral:

Oooooooooookay...
Sorry

I really was in the Foulest of moods this morning and it just hit me the wrong way. Not sure why I dragged ray into it, but it's prob cause he's the biggest Pro DC Anti Dan guy on the board.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM

I hope the first new Marvelman story features a team up with Deadpool, just out of spite.

Bedlam66
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I think as long as Dan is EIC Millar Superman is never going to happen.

Howlett
02-18-2010, 12:50 PM

For sure. Whatever would the comic industry do without him?

Roger
02-18-2010, 12:51 PM

I hope the first new Marvelman story features a team up with Deadpool, just out of spite.

and thats the marvel way!!!!!

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
and thats the marvel way!!!!!

I wasnt taking a shot at Marvel. Moore's attitude just rubs me the wrong way

Howlett
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

I really was in the Foulest of moods this morning and it just hit me the wrong way. Not sure why I dragged ray into it, but it's prob cause he's the biggest Pro DC Anti Dan guy on the board.

You're forgiven.

Now kiss and make up :heybaby:

Ray G.
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

I'm not really anti-Didio. At least not since he corrected his mistakes from 2006. Let's not forget - Johns nearly left DC because of him.

But he's done a good job since then, and a lot of DC's recent success is partially due to him.

Roger
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I wasnt taking a shot at Marvel. Moore's attitude just rubs me the wrong way

i thought it was....they way they like to drive things into the ground. so having a deadpool teamup isn't that far off...lol

leafinsectman
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
No idea what it means for Geoff Johns but it sounds like good news. Woo hoo!!

Howlett
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM

I hope that in a few years the Moore version of Marvelman becomes part of a Marvel team... we'll call them a "League", let's say... of Extraordinary Men... anyway, he'll be on this team with, oh I dunno, Ulysses Bloodstone and the Hulk and, let's see... female vampire... oh, Spitfire!

And during the course of one of their adventures, Hulk attacks and buttfucks Moorevelman to death.

I think Alan would appreciate that.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I think the only disconnect is that mainsteam audiences who are aware of Wonder Woman and Hulk don't really care about the comics or the origins within. Do you think more non comic readers can identify who the Hulk is? Would they guess his first name is Bruce or David? Did he get his powers from getting caught in a gamma bomb explosion trying to save Rick Jones or in a self contained experiment locked in a room. Is his enemy General Ross or Jack McGee? Does he turn into a green dumb brute or grey devious smart guy?

Any character, even our most beloved icons, can get bogged down in various details. I mean the basics. "Who is this person and how do they work?"

I think that DC has the visibility and sight recognition and has had that for lifetimes. Its the "how do they work" that has not kept up with that social..what the word for it? When people, vast numbers of people, just know what something is.

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
There is a lot of potential here. The sky is officially the limit. Anything is now possible. So I'm expecting great things that DC fans, new, current, and lapsed can really get excited about.

Chinaski
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm not really anti-Didio. At least not since he corrected his mistakes from 2006. Let's not forget - Johns nearly left DC because of him.

But he's done a good job since then, and a lot of DC's recent success is partially due to him.

I think Didio is fine as a cheerleader and spokes / front man for DC - but as far as his attempts at being a writer / editor go, he really should stay out of the way and let the professionals handle it. Maybe he can spot new talent, but he sure as shit cant and wont make Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison better than they already are - so stop trying to help and make sure the other books line up with what those 2 are planning.

See: the absolute debacle that the Titans (Teen and regular) are now. Those books are all his fault. Also - Outsiders should have been cancelled when he forced Chuck Dixon out the door.

mario
02-18-2010, 01:39 PM

you know you'd say the same if you were in his shoes :)

Xdestron
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Alan Moore may be a great writer but he's still overrated. Some people think he's the damned messiah, but I certainly haven't been without regular titles to read without his name on it.

Its just sad he's so bitter.

John Drake
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Lord Jermaine Retail
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Alan Moore may be a great writer but he's still overrated. Some people think he's the damned messiah, but I certainly haven't been without regular titles to read without his name on it.

Its just sad he's so bitter.

It is sad that someone associated with a hobby that should be so much fun and instill wonder and excitement should be so very bitter. Sad and disappointing.

DAVE
02-18-2010, 02:24 PM
The guy who made this post: http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=6649630&postcount=75 is lamenting the fact that someone is bitter?

Xdestron
02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but I don't deny my bitterness. I use it as fuel.

Patch
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
you know you'd say the same if you were in his shoes :)

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes...

he's a size 10 1/2 and I wear a 12!

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/ZPatch/groucho2.jpg

TIP
02-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Foolish Mortal
02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah that Moore is a real dick for wanting all his royalties going to Mick Anglo!

It is sad that someone associated with a hobby that should be so much fun and instill wonder and excitement should be so very bitter. Sad and disappointing.
Moore isn't disillusioned with comics so much as he's disillusioned with the comics industry.

michealdark
02-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Eh....have you kept up with the Titans franchise of late?

Good. I was worried that he'd have to give up his books.

AndrewG
02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

No way. They stink! :)

I'm sure Titans will get a relaunch/revamp soon enough. They're the only real property left that hasn't gotten a creative jolt in the arm

michealdark
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, Titans has Deathstroke's Thunderbolts style team taking over. I think Teen Titans was pointed in the right direction with McKeever, but since he's left it's been pretty slow going and lame. Henderson might get better the more she writes, but so far she doesn't get the voices of the characters ar all. I'd love to see Krul take over though. Or Bill Walko (operator of TitansTower.com). Or if they could ever get him (which won't happen, but a boy can dream) Bryan Lee O'Malley.

costello
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
People, for example, come in and take note of the Wonder Woman by Alex Ross poster on display and talk about how much they love Wonder Woman. But their love is not for the comic book. I'm saying that people know the Wonder Woman image and a small bit of how she works as a character, but that's it. That seems to be where their interest stops. And that's where the disconnect is. So bridging that disconnect between the recognition of their product and the actual purchase of what they offer should be a priority one challenge. People all over the world have known of characters like Wonder Woman literally all their lives, but that fact does not seem to translate across the board of sales and products.

You're absolutely right. I LOVE DC characters. I haven't purchased a Batman comic since Hush, and I haven't had a Supes or WW comic since I was 4.

Hyperstorm
02-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Good. I was worried that he'd have to give up his books.

Let's all be honest: every book goes through a bad period now and then (normally during a Claremont, Loeb or Miller phase) and then the guys upstairs refocus and fix the problem and Teen Titans is currently going through the latter stage from what I'm seeing:
Connor and Bart are back,
Cassie is getting her confidence back,
Beast Boy is still crushed and getting all puppy eyed for Terra despite her being a zombie ... okay, so some things never change.

As much as I loathe Quesada I have to acknowledge that he did some good for Marvel and the same holds true for Didio. Didio's just less cocky about it.

michealdark
02-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Eh, what about the heavy-handed editorial style, the focus away from creators just telling their stories, the constant creative team changes, the overuse of gore as a shock tactic, the going after non-comics people instead of trying to grab up some indy guys for a shot at the big leagues, Amazons Attack, and Countdown? Those are some huge negatives in DD's column.

I'm not saying Dan hasn't done some good things. For example, he's got a stable of fantastic writes like Johns, Morrison, Bedard, Nacieza, J. Torres, Greg Rucka, Palmiotti and Gray, and Simone. And in Bryan Q. Miller he has a guy who, while rough around the edges, has huge potential and is one the write book for his more fun tone and enthusiasm. And he's a genuinely nice guy. I had him as a myspace fan for more than a year, and now he's one of my facebook friends, and in that time we've had numerous in-depth conversations about a great number of things. His patience is almost Buddhist. I know, because I readily admit that I'm annoying. He even encouraged me as a writer to go out there and do my own stuff and perfect my craft. I'm just saying he hasn't always made the best choices.

Hyperstorm
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Eh, what about the heavy-handed editorial style, the focus away from creators just telling their stories, the constant creative team changes, the overuse of gore as a shock tactic, the going after non-comics people instead of trying to grab up some indy guys for a shot at the big leagues, Amazons Attack, and Countdown? Those are some huge negatives in DD's column.

I'm not saying Dan hasn't done some good things. For example, he's got a stable of fantastic writes like Johns, Morrison, Bedard, Nacieza, J. Torres, Greg Rucka, Palmiotti and Gray, and Simone. And in Bryan Q. Miller he has a guy who, while rough around the edges, has huge potential and is one the write book for his more fun tone and enthusiasm. And he's a genuinely nice guy. I had him as a myspace fan for more than a year, and now he's one of my facebook friends, and in that time we've had numerous in-depth conversations about a great number of things. His patience is almost Buddhist. I know, because I readily admit that I'm annoying. He even encouraged me as a writer to go out there and do my own stuff and perfect my craft. I'm just saying he hasn't always made the best choices.

Actually I think Final Crisis was the most dismal failure under Didio's tenure, but time will tell if this was the case.

The only reason I appreciated Amazons Attack because it shook up the Wonder Woman status quo by making her the last Amazon (or at least the last one who knew it) and it removed the gods (who are basically her superheros to use a loose similarity) which forced her to really rediscover herself in the context of the world.

In the case of Coutdown it had a lot of good ideas that nobody picked up to run with such as the Challengers of the Unknown (Kyle Rayner, Jason Todd, Donna Troy and Ray Palmer), it gave Jason Todd a chance at redemption and being a hero (which was ignored to make him the crazy Batman and subsequently Red Hood) when he saw what happened when Batman did take rrevenge on the Joker for his death, set Harley up to be an anti-hero of sorts (okay, so that one was picked up) and gave us a tour of the multiverse. Oh, and it pulled Ray Palmer out of his "boo hoo hoo my ex-wife killed my best friend's wife" funk and returned him to the hero we know and love.

Oh, and on the BQM note: Batgirl is quite possibly my favourite new title of 2009.

Nick Spencer
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Actually I think Final Crisis was the most dismal failure under Didio's tenure, but time will tell if this was the case.

FINAL CRISIS was a goddamned masterpiece. :)

Hyperstorm
02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
FINAL CRISIS was a goddamned masterpiece. :)

Yes, the art was very pretty. :mrgreen:

Doug
02-19-2010, 04:41 AM
You're absolutely right. I LOVE DC characters. I haven't purchased a Batman comic since Hush, and I haven't had a Supes or WW comic since I was 4.

Give All-Star Superman a try. It is everything great about Superman boiled down to pure awesome.

AndrewG
02-19-2010, 04:42 AM

Marvel does the same thing.

Ryudo
02-19-2010, 06:43 AM
http://io9.com/5475262/dcs-new-bosses-on-making-dc-the-best-again

Can DC Comics be #1 in the market again? Is Blackest Night key to the publisher's future? We asked new DC co-publishers Dan Didio and Jim Lee, as well as new DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns.

Congratulations on the new positions, but how does "co-publisher" actually work? Who's handling what, and what are the responsibilities of a DC Publisher in general?

Jim Lee: It's interesting. I've been reading message boards and [seeing] people speculating on who would be a good publisher, and, yeah, people have a very different definition of what that means. I think for us, the tradition has been changed so that Dan and myself can really focus on the creative [side] of editorial. Really, looking at all the different editorial imprints and making sure that they are well-serviced, and that we produce the best possible books from each line. That means, working with talent, securing new projects, working with the editors to make sure that the books are on time and have the best writers and artists possible; it means working with Geoff Johns on overall creative direction and big events on editorial. It's sort of like being the uber-editor to all the editors, but there's more to it than that. It's also looking at outside licenses, so there's a business component to it, as well as a marketing component. What's really cool is that, the team that comprises this element for DCE, we have five people in this executive team and we have finance and we have marketing and we have Geoff as Chief Creative Officer, and we have the co-publishers, so we're not doing anything in a vacuum. We're really doing it with the advice and co-development with marketing and with Geoff's department.

Dan Didio: I want to say that, just because my primary responsibility up to this point was with the DC Universe and Jim's was with Wildstorm, it's not just about those imprints. We are really expanding and working in conjunction with all the imprints at DC with one publishing goal, which is to be the number one publisher. Not only in regards to sales, but we want to be able to grow the business, grow the market, but at the same time, be the premiere stop for creators to come to bring their work. We truly believe that DC, and DC Entertainment, is the best place to be if you're in the business of working in comics right now.

Lee: The digital space is obviously going to be an important one for us going forward, and it's one that I have a keen interest in, and I'll be working with John Rood - who's in charge of marketing, sales and business development, in figuring out what is the right vehicle for us as we move forward in that space. There's more things on our plate than we could obviously wish for, so we're kind of picking and choosing which ones we want to lead on, and working together on a number of different ones. We're able to work that way because we've been known each other for a long time and there's mutual respect for each other. There's no ego there, we're very honest and forthright with one another, and we have very matter-of-fact dialogues, and it's been really great just talking about the direction and the future of DC.

Didio: One of the great things about working with Jim on this is that, I remember when Image Comics launched [Lee was one of the seven original partners in Image Comics in 1991]. I remember how it really set the industry on its ear, and how it helped redefine and re-energize the whole business. I know Jim was instrumental in so many things that were spearheaded over there, and his inside knowledge is going to be extremely beneficial to us as we really try to reinvigorate and re-energize everything that we've been doing here.

It feels like this is happening at a very good time for DC, with Blackest Night and Brightest Day re-energizing the fans, in terms of the DCU line...

Didio: Yeah, Blackest Night and Brightest Day are just two key ways that this company has benefited from the creative leadership of Geoff Johns. Geoff really took Blackest Night and knew it, was able to explain it so that the key concept went not only into the comics, but the toys and so many other areas that really made it what it was. It's our goal that Geoff will be able to bring that same energy to everything that DC is publishing moving ahead.

That was where I was going, is Blackest Night going to be a model for everything going forward, in terms of not only the presentation within the comics, but also the marketing and tying into other media?

Geoff Johns: Yes, to a certain extent, I think Blackest Night was successful as it was because I worked with everyone at DC [editorial], and [merchandise department] DC Direct and sales and marketing and everyone, and everybody rallied together for Blackest Night. The fact that DC Direct had the toys coming out while the series was coming out, everything was in sync. The synergy in-house was terrific, and the idea is to bring that synergy throughout all of DCE, including films, TV, animation, video games and everything beyond. But Blackest Night is a great example of how it can all go right.

Didio: And of how strong this medium can be when you take a really strong direction, a clear voice, and play it across multiple mediums. And that's something we're looking to do... But not solely do. There's so much of what DC is, and DC is built on diversity. DC is built with very unique voices in the different imprints, and that is something that we're going to build on.

Johns: Blackest Night is just an example of how we approach one project, a big event within the DCU. But approaching everything else, it'll be with the same kind of support, but [in terms of tone], it'll be very diverse.

Something that I'm seeing a lot of, especially in [DC Entertainment] Diane Nelson's statement about these appointments, is the idea that DC should be the destination for comic book creators... Is that an idea that is focused around comics only? What if one of your creators comes up with a pitch for a television series, a toy idea or a movie?

Didio: We are truly driven by content. For us, we want to be able to build and strengthen any content that we feel can be exploited across multiple mediums. One of the things that I enjoyed about [Jim Lee's imprint] Wildstorm when I first arrived here was the Cliffhanger line, and how it gave such a voice to so many creators with their own particular stories. We're hoping that we can continue to build individual strong creative voices where they work best, and at the same time, bring those voices to our characters where they work best.

Johns: To your point, though, it all starts in comics. We're not going to go outside and do random movies or toy ideas. It all starts in comics.

Didio: As co-publishers, our main concern is the publishing line.

What should we be expecting to see from DC over the next year or so? Is there an immediate goal you're looking to reach?

Lee: There's nothing concrete in terms of digital media, but translating that into other media, that's Geoff Johns' charge and I think that's definitely going to be a big part of it, too.

Johns: You'll be hearing more and more about, not only inside comics, but outside comics, what we're up to during the year.

Lee: Our ultimate goal is to become the number one publisher. None of this really makes sense if we're just going to keep the status quo. We just announced this this morning, but now we're going to sit down with everyone here at DC and discuss how we're going to achieve that. That's definitely our top priority.

Roger
02-19-2010, 07:03 AM

the last 2 years of superman books have been the best they have been in years!
this new krypton storyline has been fucking fantastic!!!

Zac Goyette
02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Good for them. I like idea of Geoff Johns steering the direction of the DCU.

mario
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM

but Alan Moore is a magician, his shoes are like the Tardis: small on the outside, huge on the inside

mario
02-19-2010, 11:58 AM
SO, DC has got a bi-coastal publisher. Might come in handy

Adrian B AWESOME
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
So wait...the model of DC is now the "Blackest Night model?" I.E. Marvel of the Civil War era? Stretch out your event to cover almost a full year and put out a billion tie-ins...

Come on Didio.

michealdark
02-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Good for them. I like idea of Geoff Johns steering the direction of the DCU.

He does have a huge understanding of these characters. While he's killed far too many, I feel, I also think a lot of them are coming back post-BN, and I also think he'll be able to try to work a lot of them into what's going on with writers that fit them, and guide them if they need the help. I also don't think he'll be adverse to letting creators bring characters out of limbo if they want to tell a story with them, or putting characters into limbo if there's notihng being done with them.

So wait...the model of DC is now the "Blackest Night model?" I.E. Marvel of the Civil War era? Stretch out your event to cover almost a full year and put out a billion tie-ins...

Come on Didio.

Total misreading. What Geoff and Dan mean is that with Blackest Night they had all the editors, marketing, and promotions rallying around the story. There was a total push within the company to really get the story out there and people interested in it.

Marvel does the same thing.

And it doesn't always work for them either. I have no problem with big crossovers, but I don't think this should be an editorially driven medium. Comics' strength comes from the creators. It's the writers and artists that make truly great comics (and truly horrible comics), bent over a computer or a drawing board, not some pencil pusher in some coporate office.

Hyperstorm
02-19-2010, 08:29 PM
You know where DC was really smart with Blackest Night? They released the first issue (#0) as a Free Comic Book.

That and their $4 comic has 40 pages. I'm just saying.

And shall probably say again.