PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the Documentary "Overnight"...

Mark4myself
02-13-2010, 06:48 AM
...man Troy Duffy is an asshole!!!

Has anyone seen this? It's about the writer/director of the Boondock Saints and shows how he burns every bridge in Hollywood not to mention alienates his friends and brother. Miramax bought his script, bought the bar he bartended at so he could be co-owner, allowed him to direct, and even allowed his band to do the soundtrack. Then his attitude sent him to Entertainment purgatory. Fascinating documentary on what NOT to do in Hollywood.

KSChris
02-13-2010, 07:04 AM
I've heard some differing thoughts on this movie.

It DOES paint him in a horrible light.. but unless I'm mistaken, the documentary is actually put out by the studio behind Boondock Saints. I might have misheard that aspect, so I'm not sure.

Sean Patrick Flanery was on some radio show here last year, and they actually brought up the documentary, and he said that it was supposed to be a completely different documentary. It only became this big negative thing once Boondock failed at the post office, Duffy and the studio clashed, and they felt they had to get at least SOMETHING out of the filming that was done, so they re-edited it with a negative spin.

Ultimately, I don't know. I never buy any documentary at face value. They're always biased one way or another. It's interesting, for sure.. but, I don't know Duffy..

If he was such an asshole in real life, I doubt ALL the actors from the original Boondock Saints would return for the sequel last year. Even Dafoe, who one would think was above returning to a critically panned indie franchise.

There's always two sides to every story.

Mark4myself
02-13-2010, 07:20 AM
I've heard some differing thoughts on this movie.

It DOES paint him in a horrible light.. but unless I'm mistaken, the documentary is actually put out by the studio behind Boondock Saints. I might have misheard that aspect, so I'm not sure.

Sean Patrick Flanery was on some radio show here last year, and they actually brought up the documentary, and he said that it was supposed to be a completely different documentary. It only became this big negative thing once Boondock failed at the post office, Duffy and the studio clashed, and they felt they had to get at least SOMETHING out of the filming that was done, so they re-edited it with a negative spin.

Ultimately, I don't know. I never buy any documentary at face value. They're always biased one way or another. It's interesting, for sure.. but, I don't know Duffy..

If he was such an asshole in real life, I doubt ALL the actors from the original Boondock Saints would return for the sequel last year. Even Dafoe, who one would think was above returning to a critically panned indie franchise.

There's always two sides to every story.

I agree 100% on there being two sides and even checked out wikipedia to see what the counter arguement was to the documentary (Duffy's POV) and found nothing. I'm very interested in hearing it and obviously MOST documentary's are skewed into showing what the film maker wants you to take from it. The documentary was initially Duffy's idea and he had two of his people filming it, inevitably to showcase his meteoric rise. I'm not sure if it was the same studio that released the documentary or if it was done independent of that by these two 'friends' of Duffy, who may have had a chip on their shoulder and slanted it for payback. Regardless, many of his quotes and behaviors illustrated in the film, selectively edited or not, showcase what can only be classified as Asshole behavior. It's obvious success went straight to his head. But it does speak volumes that the entire cast came back for the sequel. I'm very curious to hear the other perspective. Also I'd love to hear any more information on the car that jumped the curb at the premiere. That was just kind of thrown into the documentary with nothing additional said. Was I supposed to see it as an attack on Duffy? Or just a shitty driver? Or just left with a WTF?

Fygar
02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I agree 100% on there being two sides and even checked out wikipedia to see what the counter arguement was to the documentary (Duffy's POV) and found nothing. I'm very interested in hearing it and obviously MOST documentary's are skewed into showing what the film maker wants you to take from it. The documentary was initially Duffy's idea and he had two of his people filming it, inevitably to showcase his meteoric rise. I'm not sure if it was the same studio that released the documentary or if it was done independent of that by these two 'friends' of Duffy, who may have had a chip on their shoulder and slanted it for payback. Regardless, many of his quotes and behaviors illustrated in the film, selectively edited or not, showcase what can only be classified as Asshole behavior. It's obvious success went straight to his head. But it does speak volumes that the entire cast came back for the sequel. I'm very curious to hear the other perspective. Also I'd love to hear any more information on the car that jumped the curb at the premiere. That was just kind of thrown into the documentary with nothing additional said. Was I supposed to see it as an attack on Duffy? Or just a shitty driver? Or just left with a WTF?

Troy did an interview with the /filmcast a few months ago talking about Overnight and of course Boondock Saints 2. He makes a few good points about the documentary and overall seems okay. I do think he's a bit of an asshole, but the doc probably blows it out of proportion. I bet he's changed a lot since then, because it was over ten years ago at this point.

Here's a link to the podcast, it's definitely worth a listen.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/28/the-filmcast-interview-troy-duffy-director-of-the-boondock-saints-2-all-saints-day/

DAVE
02-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Even Dafoe, who one would think was above returning to a critically panned indie franchise.

Was Dafoe in the second one? I haven't seen it yet, but I thought he wasn't in it.

Fygar
02-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Was Dafoe in the second one? I haven't seen it yet, but I thought he wasn't in it.

IMDB has him listed as an uncredited role. It must have been a cameo they were trying to keep under wraps, because I too remember hearing he wasn't in it.

Ashwin Pande
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't get why people like Boondock Saints. It's a huge, steaming piece of shit.

Fygar
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't get why people like Boondock Saints. It's a huge, steaming piece of shit.

From what I remember, I agree. I bought it based on all the praise people bestow upon it and I've still only watched it once. That was seven years ago I think.

DAVE
02-13-2010, 09:51 AM
IMDB has him listed as an uncredited role. It must have been a cameo they were trying to keep under wraps, because I too remember hearing he wasn't in it.
I saw that now, too. Oh well, we've spoiled it for ourselves!

I love Dafoe's performance in the first one. Just a talented actor going over the top, and having a visibly great time doing so. It makes the movie worth it.
"There was A FIRE FIGHT!!"

Ashwin Pande
02-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I had the opposite reaction. I couldn't understand how and why Dafoe had lowered himself to be in the movie. I dunno. Other movies I go with different strokes for different folks but I genuinely believe Boondock Saints is a terrible movie that should not exist.

Kurt Russell Crowe
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Dafoe came in at the tail end of the second one for a little cameo where they set up the third. I thought the first one was decent throwaway entertainment, especially at a younger age when I first saw it with my cinematic tastes still developing. The second one is one of the worst things ever made. I doubt many people who watched it at home would make it all the way through without turning it off. I would have walked out of the flick if I wasn't using it as a way to kill time before I had to be somewhere else. Duffy is an asshole, I'm sure, but probly nowhere near the scale Overnight makes him out to be.