PDA

View Full Version : Portland, Benbo's Tell me about your city

LazyComix
02-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I've heard so many great things about the city, a great art scene, etc. Tell me more!

How's the rent, jobs, food, bars, etc.

Thanks,
Randy

Caley Tibbittz
02-08-2010, 07:38 AM
The rent's too high and the bars are lame. Vincente's at 20th and SE Hawthorne makes a damn good Greek pizza though...

Rosemary's Baby
02-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Having only visited a few times, take my opinion for what it's worth, but NaughTibbittz is wrong.

The rent's not that bad and the bars aren't lame. They have some of the best beer in the country and an amazing food scene, particularly if you like locally sourced, incredibly fresh produce and street food.

LazyComix
02-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I've been in NYC for 11 years so my views or rents are skewed for sure.

thanks, guys

Rosemary's Baby
02-08-2010, 07:49 AM
I've been in NYC for 11 years so my views or rents are skewed for sure.

thanks, guys

It's also very pretty (while not quite as pretty as Seattle) and there's a ton of hiking and outdoor activities right outside the city.

JustJames
02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
You're going to get your good and bad anywhere you go. There are no jobs here, I’ve been working since I was 12 but after I lost my job I haven't been able to find steady work for almost a year and a half now. We have super wonderful beer here and some really great food if you look for it. Lots of good musical shows, we got Saturday market, some of the best shops ever, lots of ghosts and haunted places with history, museums, light shows, OMSI, underground railroads, parks and great beaches not far away. I can really get specific if you need but to sum it up if you get bored in Portland, it is for lack of trying or lack of interest in life.

- JJ

Matt Jay
02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
No jobs! The economy is fucked. But it seems that the police are finally cracking down on the panhandlers bcause they don't bug me every day anymore (or the panhandlers went south for the winter, I dunno). They say that the economy has turned the corner a little bit, but just recently my favorite Hollywood Video closed and the Greek Cuisina went under(although there's more to that story than the economy).

Lots of weird people. Lots of normal people flock in from the suburbs, though. The rent can be ok depending on where you want to live. For me, the real heart of this place is Hawthorne. Or Alberta street during Last Thursdays. I've never seen anything else like the stuff going down on Last Thursdays. It's like all the nerds, misfits and normal people (and their kids) coexist peacefully while checking out all the bizarre shit on display. Truly a people-watchers dream come true.

Matt Jay
02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
You're going to get your good and bad anywhere you go. There are no jobs here, I’ve been working since I was 12 but after I lost my job I haven't been able to find steady work for almost a year and a half now. We have super wonderful beer here and some really great food if you look for it. Lots of good musical shows, we got Saturday market, some of the best shops ever, lots of ghosts and haunted places with history, museums, light shows, OMSI, underground railroads, parks and great beaches not far away. I can really get specific if you need but to sum it up if you get bored in Portland, it is for lack of trying or lack of interest in life.

- JJ

Very true. I moved here from Nebraska in '07. Feels like I've missed out on so much. I think I would have had the time of my life going to undergrad out here. There's so much that Young Matt would have loved to do. Still plenty for me now, though.

Buk Was Right
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
FUN FACT: Just like receiving a lei as you arrive in Hawaii several angry looking hipsters will give you a black hoodie as you deplane at PDX.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Very green and lots of hipsters.

babydave
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
No central air in most apartments if that's important to you, and they charge too much for them... or at least they did before the financial meltdown. For that week or two in the summer, you will hate life if you don't have A/C and your apartment probably won't. Very rainy. Generally depressing. The mood of the city actually gets worse if the people can't see the mountain because of cloud cover. The MAX is generally convenient. The library is fantastic. Lots of homeless people. They charge you a five cent deposit for every can or bottle you buy and give it back to you if you put it in a machine after you're done with it. Bellagio's Pizza is awesome as is BJ's. It's a liberal place, and I miss it now that I'm back in the bible belt. Safeway has fresh baked French Bread several times a day that is really good if you get it right as it comes out of the oven.

It's not great, but if you can deal with the negatives, the positives are really cool. There's always something going on, and a lot of artistic types do live there. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they should move there, but I also wouldn't talk them out of it if they knew what they were getting into. I probably wouldn't have moved there after having lived there, but oddly I wouldn't mind moving back if I could deal with the negatives...which at this time I can't. It's not the "holy land" that some say it is, though. There's no Chik-fil-A, for example.