PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi/Mountain Dew Throwbacks

Gordon Chumway
01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Made with real sugar in old school packaging.

I don't partake in either of these products, but I would like to see other companies do this.

I would like to see Fruit Roll-Ups or Doritos release an 'Original Recipe' throw back. (even though the new Real Fruit Fruit Roll-Ups are pretty good)

CapnChaos
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I got some of the Mountain Dew. It's pretty good. I haven't been able to find any more of it yet though. Guess they weren't kidding when they said "limited edition."

Cradleman
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I loved the pepsi throwback that came out earlier this year, the Dew one was ok. I haven't seen either of the new versions at my local Wal-Mart, hoping they show up soon.

Gordon Chumway
01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I got some of the Mountain Dew. It's pretty good. I haven't been able to find any more of it yet though. Guess they weren't kidding when they said "limited edition."

It's new to the Dallas area.

We do however always have the Dr.Pepper made with imperial sugar.

Schroedingers Cat
01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I heard that Pepsi was going to release it again sometime this year. I definitely like it better than 'current' Pepsi

I second the call for Original Doritos. They were amazing when they first came out. At some point they changed the Cheese and changed the thickness of the chip. Now they are not nearly as good.

Wendy's just screwed up their burgers too. They changed to a thicker bun and the burger is way too 'bready' now. It seems like they made the burger patties thinner too.

Jim

dougmac
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I just had some of the Pepsi, it is much better. The odd thing is I saw the Pepsi only in 2 liter bottles but not cans and the Mt Dew only in 12 oz cans not bottles. It may have just been at my local supermarket, but I thought it was strange.

Gordon Chumway
01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
I heard that Pepsi was going to release it again sometime this year. I definitely like it better than 'current' Pepsi

I second the call for Original Doritos. They were amazing when they first came out. At some point they changed the Cheese and changed the thickness of the chip. Now they are not nearly as good.

Nacho Cheesier my ass.

Also, I miss the Garden Chicken Ranch Pita from Wendy's.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
KFC should do throwback chicken and start using real chicken again.

Petey Parker
01-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Wendy's just screwed up their burgers too. They changed to a thicker bun and the burger is way too 'bready' now. It seems like they made the burger patties thinner too.

Jim

I third the original Doritos (and my fiancee will fourth it) I want them back!

I don't really care for Pepsi Throwback. It left a weird aftertaste. I'm guessing this is the same version coming out this year even though its now in the old Pepsi can.

I want to try the Dr. Pepper with sugar though. I wish we could get that around here.

Mikie
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
It's not just the can that is different? Well, I'll have to try that then.

I loved the pepsi throwback that came out earlier this year, the Dew one was ok. I haven't seen either of the new versions at my local Wal-Mart, hoping they show up soon.

Have you tried Target? I see the 12 packs there pretty regularly.

majorjoe23
01-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I haven't seen the Dr. Pepper, but I love the Pepsi. I stocked up on it when it was out last year and my supply lasted until a few weeks before it came back in December. I'm trying to build up my stockpile again.

Gordon Chumway
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I haven't seen the Dr. Pepper, but I love the Pepsi. I stocked up on it when it was out last year and my supply lasted until a few weeks before it came back in December. I'm trying to build up my stockpile again.

I'm pretty sure that the Dr. Pepper with Imperial Sugar is a special thing only for this area (where it's bottled). I have yet to try it.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM

It is funny to see them all stacked up in the back of your house. :lol:

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Heritage Dr. Pepper coming soon.

http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/coming-soon-heritage-dr-pepper-with-sugar/

Gordon Chumway
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM

But living here near Dublin, we can get it anytime we want.

http://www.olddocs.com/product.aspx?id=174&up1=0&up2=0&up3=0&cat=Drinks&subcat1=Dr%20Pepper&subcat2=Made%20with%20Sugar

Travis M. Bierwagen
01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Have you tried Target? I see the 12 packs there pretty regularly.

I was going to say that I saw the 12 packs and 20 oz bottles of Pepsi & Dew at both of my local Targets in the past week.

Love the retro packaging... not crazy about the contents.

Ultimate Lurker
01-17-2010, 12:15 PM

I had some today. It didn't taste any different to me. My wife said she tasted something like pine in it.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
But living here near Dublin, we can get it anytime we want.

http://www.olddocs.com/product.aspx?id=174&up1=0&up2=0&up3=0&cat=Drinks&subcat1=Dr%20Pepper&subcat2=Made%20with%20Sugar

Yeah I saw that and you can always special order too.

Brad N.
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I actually prefer the current Dew formula, it's got more of a sweet citrus taste and as weird as it sounds the "real sugar" version Mt. Dew tastes more bland to me. I wish they would keep the real sugar formula for Pepsi though, I stocked up and currently have 5
12-packs on reserve (Target had them for $2 a piece a couple weeks ago). WAY better tasting than the regular formula. I only saw Dr. Pepper here once and I liked it but it was gone fairly quickly.

Petey Parker
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM

It sounds like its already out. I haven't seen it anywhere :(

I had a hard time finding the Pepsi Throwback last year too. Target was the only place I saw it and even then I managed to grab the last 12 pack.

gaspar
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I can't wait to find it here. I bought several 12packs of Pepsi Throwback when it came out last year, but they were gone in a couple of months. I'll buy more this time. I prefer Coke, but I prefer non-HFCS/real sugar drinks even more, so I'll stock up.

Brad N.
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Weird. I was just at Target and saw they're all on sale again ($3 each) and they had a bunch of the Dr. Pepper too. They had a massive amount there tonight.

NATE!
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Weird. I was just at Target and saw they're all on sale again ($3 each) and they had a bunch of the Dr. Pepper too. They had a massive amount there tonight.

The Dr. Pepper is the best one. Pepsi is a close second. My girlfriend and I felt that the Mt. Dew tasted like Ale-8, and if you don't know what that is, it's a heavily caffinated Ginger Ale-like drink made in Kentucky. It's also bitter and nasty.

Ryan Elliott
01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Went to my local target, they didn't have any of the throwbacks(wasn't really surprised though).

Damn.

Bill Nolan
01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
I bought an 18-pack of the Pepsi Throwback at BJ's (a regional warehouse store) for $5 last week. This stuff is awesome.

Schroedingers Cat
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Scored some 20oz Pepsi Throwback today.

Went into the local Grocery Store and they had a bunch of them in the cooler.

Gotta find Dr Pepper next

Jim

FrnkCastle
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been enjoying the Mt Dew. They started selling it in the machines here at work.

Ryudo
01-22-2010, 04:38 AM
I think the Pepsi throwback tastes better in the can than the bottle for some reason.

gooch
01-22-2010, 05:54 AM
I bought an 18-pack of the Pepsi Throwback at BJ's (a regional warehouse store) for $5 last week. This stuff is awesome.

I got the same package at Costco yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm a diehard Pepsi drinker. I have a can pretty much every day with my lunch, so the current formula is drilled into my taste buds. My first reaction was, I don't like it, but it got better by the end.
I'm sure I'll love it by the end of my 18-pack, but my luck they'll end the promotion and I won't be able to find anymore.

joshdahl
01-22-2010, 05:58 AM
I got the same package at Costco yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm a diehard Pepsi drinker. I have a can pretty much every day with my lunch, so the current formula is drilled into my taste buds. My first reaction was, I don't like it, but it got better by the end.
I'm sure I'll love it by the end of my 18-pack, but my luck they'll end the promotion and I won't be able to find anymore.

I love this stuff.

Corn syrup does horrible things to my insides...so when these hit retail...I bought them every time I saw them. It was like I had 2 or 3 weeks of living like a normal person.

If these are back...I am stocking up!