PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 God Mode (possibly vista as well)

Jason California
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Create a folder and name it: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

take a look at what you get.

This should work on Vista 32 bit, but causes crashes on the 64bit.

Captain Sensation
01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
:)

Jef UK
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Spoilers please.

Jason California
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Spoilers please.

It gives you the ability to make just about every system change you can think of from one spot. I am still playing with it to see everything I can change with it.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html

Master Jack Rabbitt
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Neat

leviathan
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Something to try once I upgrade out of the RC version (Don't wanna muck about in this current scenario even though I know it won't make any difference).

Jason California
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Something to try once I upgrade out of the RC version (Don't wanna muck about in this current scenario even though I know it won't make any difference).

As long as you already know that. I ma still using the RC until June.

leviathan
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
As long as you already know that. I ma still using the RC until June.

I was just holding off until the local retailers started selling it. They got it last month and I'll likely get the official license sometime this month or next so I'm in no rush. :)

Ashwin Pande
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow. Why was this not made public? This is so much easier than the fucking confusing control panel in Vista.

Blue Flash
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
fun stuff, thanks for this.

mike black
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Hmmmmm. Something tells me I shouldn't tell my agents about this.

Ultimate Lurker
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Hmmmmm. Something tells me I shouldn't tell my agents about this.

You a Geek Squad DCI?

Jason California
01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow. Why was this not made public? This is so much easier than the fucking confusing control panel in Vista.

Maybe they think this makes it easier for the average guy to screw up his computer, blaming Microsoft and increasing their support calls because of all the changes that are now easily accesible and he/she may have no clue until about what they did until it is to late.

Akira
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Maybe they think this makes it easier for the average guy to screw up his computer, blaming Microsoft and increasing their support calls because of all the changes that are now easily accesible and he/she may have no clue until about what they did until it is to late.

bingo. protect the general public from things they dont understand and will blame you for

mike black
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
You a Geek Squad DCI?

I subcontract for Dell.

mike black
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
bingo. protect the general public from things they dont understand and will blame you for

Which is why the general public thinks OSX is better than Windows.

JamesV
01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Which is why the general public thinks OSX is better than Windows.

There's a lot of truth to this. Both systems have hidden files and command line, etc.

But man does window make it a bitch to do basic stuff and in turn make it seem like its soooo hard to use or master. They feed the beast, man.

mike black
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
There's a lot of truth to this. Both systems have hidden files and command line, etc.

But man does window make it a bitch to do basic stuff and in turn make it seem like its soooo hard to use or master. They feed the beast, man.

Actually, I was talking about the fact that Mac locks everything down to the Nth degree, while Windows still retains the ability to be changed and reprogrammed.

Jason California
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Mac is great if you want to do everything the way Apple wantsa you to. There is not much free style though.

JamesV
01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Actually, I was talking about the fact that Mac locks everything down to the Nth degree, while Windows still retains the ability to be changed and reprogrammed.

Ah see I was going the other way. Not so much with major stuff, but with the minor things and the basic surface appearing of changing things.

I also agree with you there.

Jacques Toochay
01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
So even though I have Vista64 and there are multiple warnings about trying this, of course I said "fuck it! What's the worst that could happen?" and I created the folder.
Holy christ. :lol:
Windows Explorer started chain crashing immediately. I restarted, same thing. I turned it completely off and back on. Same thing. I started it up in safe mode and it was completely fucked and nonresponsive then (so much for safe mode!). Did a little research on my smart phone and found the solution. I had to use the command line and break out some old school DOS shit to erase that goddamn directory right the fuck outta of its little cocksucking lair.
No god mode for me.
:mad:

Thomas Mauer
01-07-2010, 12:58 AM
So even though I have Vista64 and there are multiple warnings about trying this, of course I said "fuck it! What's the worst that could happen?" and I created the folder.
Windows Explorer started chain crashing immediately. I restarted, same thing. I turned it completely off and back on. Same thing. I started it up in safe mode and it was completely fucked and nonresponsive then (so much for safe mode!). Did a little research on my smart phone and found the solution. I had to use the command line and break out some old school DOS shit to erase that goddamn directory right the fuck outta of its little cocksucking lair.
No god mode for me.
Hah!

Thanks for trying this out so I don't have to. :p

mario
01-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Mac is great if you want to do everything the way Apple wantsa you to. There is not much free style though.

and that is bad, why?
Especially if their way is so simple to use?

Jacques Toochay
01-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Hah!

Thanks for trying this out so I don't have to. :p

No problem.
I did get to experince the singular thrill of throughly fucking something up and then quickly defucking it.
I still can't believe how troublesome just naming a file could be. :lol:

panco
01-07-2010, 01:21 AM
No god mode for me.

The exact same thing happened to me. I knew I should'nt do it ;-).
Had to reboot in the failsafe mode and erase the folder from the desktop.

Seriously if you're running Vista 64 don't do it.

Greygor
01-07-2010, 01:21 AM
No problem.
I did get to experince the singular thrill of throughly fucking something up and then quickly defucking it.
I still can't believe how troublesome just naming a file could be. :lol:

That has to be a Peter Griffin Pencil Sharpener moment, you knew what it'd do but you had to try it anyway. :D

Jacques Toochay
01-07-2010, 01:39 AM
That has to be a Peter Griffin Pencil Sharpener moment, you knew what it'd do but you had to try it anyway. :D

Absolutely. But no star wars references were made, so not really. :wink:

Jamie Coville
01-07-2010, 04:46 AM
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and it worked great for me. It even got a program that I was having problems with the work correctly. I'm VERY happy!

Jason California
01-07-2010, 06:12 AM
and that is bad, why?

I don't believe I said it was a bad thing Mario. It is a matter of preferences. You do not need to defend your love of Mac to me.

mike black
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
and that is bad, why?

It's just a matter of preference. I like the fact that I can whittle windows down to 25 running processes, and completely adjust how my gui looks if I want to.