PDA

View Full Version : "Disney sees superhero dollars in Marvel unknowns"

maverick-99
12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=449139&gt1=28101&

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Moviegoers have shown a willingness to be entangled by Spider-Man's web over and over again. Now, as Disney prepares to buy the comic-book powerhouse Marvel, it faces the question of whether fans will also get attached to characters as obscure as Ant-Man and Iron Fist.

The Walt Disney Co. is making a $4.2 billion bet that they will as it nears completion of its acquisition of Marvel Entertainment Inc. this week. The cash-and-stock deal brings those characters and thousands of others to an entertainment empire that already includes Mickey Mouse, Kermit the Frog and Hannah Montana.

Disney's biggest challenge will be to get enough people enthused about second-string superheroes to justify the price — about $1.2 billion, or 40 percent, more than what Marvel's stock was worth when the deal was announced Aug. 31.

The high price means Disney will have to find new ways to earn revenue from Marvel — perhaps by bringing Marvel-licensed toys to more store shelves around the world, and by digging deep into its comic vault for potential new blockbusters.

Although Disney is constrained by the fact that big-name Marvel superheroes such as Spider-Man are already locked up in long-term deals with rival movie studios, Disney has had a history of successfully turning unknown talent such as Miley Cyrus, the actress behind "Hannah Montana," into multibillion-dollar enterprises.

"With Marvel, it's not just about `Iron Man' and `Hulk,'" Caris & Co. analyst David Miller said. "It's all about the other 5,000 characters that you and I don't even know about yet."

Disney shares are already being helped, having risen more than 20 percent since the deal was announced, partly on the hope for new character development and better use of Marvel heroes in movies, stores and theme parks.

Marvel shareholders are expected to give final approval to the offer on Thursday, with the closing of the deal to follow immediately.

The deal has already spawned a bout of speculation in the comic book world about who will be the next big Thing.

Possibilities include classics such as Ant-Man, the alter-ego of mad scientist Dr. Henry Pym, and Dr. Strange, the mystical go-to guy whenever there's an extradimensional threat. Both are connected to The Avengers line of characters that Marvel had started developing for the big screen long before Disney made the deal; Iron Man and the Hulk are among the Avengers that Marvel already has tapped.

There are about 5,000 more characters, including obscure ones such as martial arts master Iron Fist from the 1970s and up-and-coming ones such as the Runaways, a street-savvy pack of teenagers that have become a recent Marvel comic-book hit.

Whoever is the next comic book movie star, Marvel has a track record of success: its "Iron Man" movie took in $572 million at box offices worldwide despite the character once being a B-lister in the pantheon of superheroes.

"They picked the right one and they did it the right way," said Gareb Shamus, whose company Wizard Entertainment Group runs several of the Comic-Con fan conventions around the nation. "When you do that, you've got a franchise that could last forever."

Through the deal, Marvel gains the ability to quickly reach more markets worldwide. Disney is by far the world's top licenser of its character brands, with $30 billion in retail sales in fiscal 2008, compared with fourth-place Marvel at $5.7 billion, according to License! Global magazine.

"It gives Marvel the opportunity to expand internationally and leverage the Disney retail relationships as well as their licensee relationships," said Tony Lisanti, the magazine's global editorial director.

Marvel Chief Executive Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter, who owns 37 percent of Marvel stock, also secured himself the top job overseeing the Marvel business after the acquisition. That includes decisions on which characters are developed into movie stars.

Disney, which is based in Burbank, Calif., and plans to keep Marvel's operations in New York, hasn't tipped its hand on what lesser-known characters it believes have the potential to leap off the printed page.

And there are some characters Disney says it is happy to let other movie studios keep developing, including Spider-Man at Sony Pictures and the X-Men and Fantastic Four at 20th Century Fox. Marvel earns royalties and a piece of the merchandising sales from those movies, and Disney soon will, too.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said the company may initially develop new characters on television rather than in movies. Its boy-focused cable channel, Disney XD, already airs 25 hours of Marvel cartoons every week and recently launched in Japan, as well as in several European and Latin American countries.

Television is where Disney incubated such hits as "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical." Since their debut on cable TV's Disney Channel, the franchises have spawned movies, concerts and a cascade of related merchandise.

"Instead of making a $200 million movie and kind of betting the farm on one character, you can develop a television pilot, a television series," Iger told analysts this month.

Disney would benefit the most from new characters that Disney and Marvel develop together because the company would own the franchises outright instead of simply receiving licensing fees from the movies that Sony Corp. and News Corp.'s Fox produce on their own. Those deals last until Sony and Fox stop making the movies.

New characters could also be a boon for fans who are tiring of sequels.

Analysts note that when Disney does land a hit, it is quick to spread the success around to its other businesses.

That's why "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical" have combined to sell billions of dollars in merchandise, and why "Cars" — a product of Disney's purchase of Pixar — is getting its own section at Disney's California Adventure theme park. Conversely, Pirates of the Caribbean was a theme park ride decades before it became a huge movie franchise.

"What Disney does better than anyone else is they leverage content across multiple platforms," Miller said. "When Disney has a hit film property, it uplifts and enhances all the other businesses."

JamesV
12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Disney has plenty of Marvel properties that can be exploited with this deal, especially for the teen girl market. It's a shame that Dazzler is most likely tied up with Fox cause the Disney market machine could do wonders with it.

RickLM
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
They should make a movie about some obscure character like Blade. It might just work.

19bernardo87
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Fantastic Four vs The Incredibles. :D

afroloq
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/img/p/PowerPack.jpg

IN less than 5 years we could see this...

allanpat
12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
McKeever's Sentinel book would be a perfect fit for Disney

allanpat
12-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Power Pack was always a Saturday Morning Cartoon that just happened to be published as a comic book. It still strikes me as odd that it was never actually developed into a Saturday Morning Cartoon

afroloq
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Power Pack was always a Saturday Morning Cartoon that just happened to be published as a comic book. It still strikes me as odd that it was never actually developed into a Saturday Morning Cartoon

Showing my age...I am a lil horrified to think THIS comic has been around almost 30 years already. I still have the first 20 or so issues.

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Runaways X 1000000.

Possibly the best property out there that most comic fans don't know about.

Tom Burgos
12-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I totally agree about Dazzler and Power Pack.

SAVETHEB
12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Runaways X 1000000.

unless BKV was miraculously involved you know we'd end up getting some bastardized version.

hamgravy
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
There are so many "kids as superheroes" TV shows and movies that I don't see the need for Power Pack.

Runaways, on the other hand, is a Disney XD series in the making.

Hell, I wouldn't care if they also became a band and solved mysteries from a van as long as it retained:
a) a mole working for the parents
b) the same character dynamics
c) death

and, bonus
d) transgendered alien/ lesbian space princess love

Joe Henderson
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
unless BKV was miraculously involved you know we'd end up getting some bastardized version.

Am I misremembering, or wasn't it already announced that BKV was working on a draft of the screenplay?

Andrew
12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Am I misremembering, or wasn't it already announced that BKV was working on a draft of the screenplay?

I doubt that movie will ever happen.

I could see it ending up being morphed into a TV show, however.

hamgravy
12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen Black Panther mentioned more often in these articles.

He seems to be one character with a pretty rich mythology and history and unique combination of traits: high-tech, jungle fighter, king, super-hero.

batmanbooyah
12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
wasn't peter jackson rumored to do a dr. strange movie, or were people just putting them together because they matched visually, much like the two asian kids in a white school?

Jew Mafia
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
McKeever's Sentinel book would be a perfect fit for Disney

That would rock

Mattman
12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Disney has plenty of Marvel properties that can be exploited with this deal, especially for the teen girl market. It's a shame that Dazzler is most likely tied up with Fox cause the Disney market machine could do wonders with it.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/baxterbunny_2007/Trouble1_Signed.jpg

capntightpants
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen Black Panther mentioned more often in these articles.

He seems to be one character with a pretty rich mythology and history and unique combination of traits: high-tech, jungle fighter, king, super-hero.

Isn't that because BET already owns the rights to them?
http://newsblaze.com/story/20081111164253garr.nb/topstory.html
I saw the preview for it, and 2009 has passed, but I don't remember it actually airing.

Supreme Convoy
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Isn't that because BET already owns the rights to them?
http://newsblaze.com/story/20081111164253garr.nb/topstory.html
I saw the preview for it, and 2009 has passed, but I don't remember it actually airing.

I've always wondered about Black Panther as well. Didn't realize it was going to be a motion comic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gED1SVG4g).

Marcdachamp
12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Runaways, Pet Avengers and Spider-Girl could print money.

WhindamPryce
12-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Highly disagree. It's a super-niche book within an already niche industry. When was the last time an animated pets movie was even made? And even if Pet Avengers is made the audience would have to be told why the hell they're important, i.e. who is this Thor that Frog Thor is based on, where does Lockheed come from and how's he connected to X-men, the fuck is an Inhuman? etc. :)

EasyE726
12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I look forward to Disney's take on Alias.

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Highly disagree. It's a super-niche book within an already niche industry. When was the last time an animated pets movie was even made? And even if Pet Avengers is made the audience would have to be told why the hell they're important, i.e. who is this Thor that Frog Thor is based on, where does Lockheed come from and how's he connected to X-men, the fuck is an Inhuman? etc. :)

The comic book market isn't a really good guide as to what a property could do in the mainstream. The only exception is the big universal properties, but movies and TV reach a ton of demographics comics never touch.

I agree that the biggest problem with Pet Avengers (same as Young Avengers, actually) is the legacy/history element.

Foolish Mortal
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM

That would be a perfect Pixar project.

hamgravy
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
That would be a perfect Pixar project.

They would never do it. Why would they need to with The Incredibles already in their house?

And, I certainly hope that Marvel didn't sell the rights of Black Panther to BET. I figured is was a good faith deal with BET president Reginald Hudlin since he was also the writer on the book.

WhindamPryce
12-28-2009, 03:55 PM
The comic book market isn't a really good guide as to what a property could do in the mainstream. The only exception is the big universal properties, but movies and TV reach a ton of demographics comics never touch.

Yes it is, as far as us or the companies in charge being able to judge what would translate to film/TV with the most appeal. That's why no one's in a rush to make a D Man movie.

Marvel knows that Spidey will translate well and resonate with a lot of demographics, that's why it gets the top director, actors, and budget. Something like Blade is always going to be a B-list TV show or movie (which it was). Same fate awaits Pet Avengers.

What's a recent example of a property that sucked in sales in one medium (be it books or comic books), but hit it HUGE when translated into others?

Runaways would be perfect though.

greg donovan
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
i would love to see an iron fist movie.

afroloq
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
They would never do it. Why would they need to with The Incredibles already in their house?

And, I certainly hope that Marvel didn't sell the rights of Black Panther to BET. I figured is was a good faith deal with BET president Reginald Hudlin since he was also the writer on the book.

GGGGgrrrrrrrrrrrr

RickLM
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
What's a recent example of a property that sucked in sales in one medium (be it books or comic books), but hit it HUGE when translated into others?

Blade.

Damian696
12-28-2009, 04:09 PM

new movie = new characters = new toys'n'stuff.

hamgravy
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
new movie = new characters = new toys'n'stuff.

I'm of the mind that the guys at Pixar actually have more integrity than that. Their last two movies were hardly commercial ventures on their face. The first 45 minutes of Wall-E are nearly dialogue-free and Up! stars an old man.

I would kill to be in charge of Iron Fist/ Heroes for Hire in its animated incarnation.

WhindamPryce
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Blade.

It had pretty modest numbers, the 2nd and 3rd movies sucked, the tv show sucked, and it's not getting another sequel for a looong time. Doesn't sound like a success to me. Sure, it may have made money more than its initial budget every time, but does anybody care about Blade or is clamoring to see him come back? Was the quality ever really there beyond the first film?

Ray G.
Yes it is, as far as us or the companies in charge being able to judge what would translate to film/TV with the most appeal. That's why no one's in a rush to make a D Man movie.

Marvel knows that Spidey will translate well and resonate with a lot of demographics, that's why it gets the top director, actors, and budget. Something like Blade is always going to be a B-list TV show or movie (which it was). Same fate awaits Pet Avengers.

Runaways would be perfect though.

But Runaways BOMBED in the direct market!

We don't know the digest/trade sales on Pet Avengers yet, so we can't really say, but the problem with the direct market is that it's almost entirely the province of 13-40 year-old guys, and anything outside that market isn't going to make an impact on the singles chart. A property like Pet Avengers (or more likely, Sentinel) that appeals to a different demographic might be able to reach that demographic as a movie or TV series.

bartleby
I'm of the mind that the guys at Pixar actually have more integrity than that. Their last two movies were hardly commercial ventures on their face. The first 45 minutes of Wall-E are nearly dialogue-free and Up! stars an old man.

You could probably make that three with RATATOUILLE.

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
You could probably make that three with RATATOUILLE.

Up always looked pretty commercial to me, but I definitely agree about the other two.

Foolish Mortal
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Power Pack is not the Incredibles. Other than they both feature kids with superpowers, they don't have much else in common.

WhindamPryce
12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
But Runaways BOMBED in the direct market!

We don't know the digest/trade sales on Pet Avengers yet, so we can't really say, but the problem with the direct market is that it's almost entirely the province of 13-40 year-old guys, and anything outside that market isn't going to make an impact on the singles chart. A property like Pet Avengers (or more likely, Sentinel) that appeals to a different demographic might be able to reach that demographic as a movie or TV series.

Runaways has always done incredibly well in trades, as Marvel tells us often. That's why it keeps getting rebooted, because they're not giving up on it. Either way, Runaways has a MUCH more accessible and translatable premise than "animal counterparts of established heroes that we'd first need to explain the connections of".

On the whole I guess it's the premise that matters more than sales, if I may re-jigger my original assertion. And as such, Sentinel would be good (though it may evoke Iron Giant).

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Power Pack is not the Incredibles. Other than they both feature kids with superpowers, they don't much else in common.

Yeah, Incredibles was more about the parent-child dynamic. Power Pack is about siblings. That's a pretty big difference.

The biggest problem, for me, is that Power Pack doesn't have the Pixar multi-layer magic. It's just not a property with a lot of levels, and most of their movies have been pretty deep.

Foolish Mortal
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Up always looked pretty commercial to me, but I definitely agree about the other two.
A movie in which the main character is an old man voiced by Ed Asner just screams fresh and hip to kids. :)

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
A movie in which the main character is an old man voiced by Ed Asner just screams fresh and hip to kids. :)

It's a little kid/old man buddy comedy! It's the Dennis the Menace dynamic! :)

Plus, the second Dug came on-screen, the kiddies were sold. I'm not surprised it did so much better than the last few.

RickLM
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
It had pretty modest numbers, the 2nd and 3rd movies sucked, the tv show sucked, and it's not getting another sequel for a looong time. Doesn't sound like a success to me. Sure, it may have made money more than its initial budget every time, but does anybody care about Blade or is clamoring to see him come back? Was the quality ever really there beyond the first film?

Are you wanting to discuss the quality of the film or the success of the franchise? You seem to be shifting your criteria with every post.

All I know is, a D-list Marvel character carried three films, which is a success on some level. That's exactly what you were asking about, but now you're changing the terms of your question.

Andrew
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Other gender imitations of established heroes don't generally do well.

Ray G.
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Other gender imitations of established heroes don't generally do well.

It's also very continuity-heavy, same problem as Pet Avengers. It would have to be heavily re-tooled.

WhindamPryce
12-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Are you wanting to discuss the quality of the film or the success of the franchise? You seem to be shifting your criteria with every post.

All I know is, a D-list Marvel character carried three films, which is a success on some level. That's exactly what you were asking about, but now you're changing the terms of your question.

Then let me take a step back and solidify what I'm talking about. When I talked about a low-selling thing from one medium hitting it big in another, I meant a phenomenon type thing. Like if Hollywood made a Dazzler movie and it just blew up, Avatar-style. So with that criteria Blade would be a good example I suppose. It definitely made money but it petered out quickly in both success (making money) as well as quality. So yeah I'm counting quality too. I mean, the Underworld franchise is still alive n kicking, but it's always sucked quality-wise and is looked down upon by many. So is it just okay if a D-list character exists in movies (like Blade having 3) or must they also connect with the audience on a bigger and cultural level as well as having quality? Like how Batman existed for years in shitty movies that although they made money, they were not quality until Nolan came along.

y'know what, forget it. I'm confusing even myself. :)

Andrew
12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
It's also very continuity-heavy, same problem as Pet Avengers. It would have to be heavily re-tooled.

Spider-Girl has always been a concept I could get onboard with, but the way that her stories are written, as well as the content itself, is pretty damn boring. And I've tried reading enough of it to know. I really gave it a chance. But this is one instance where the best thing they could do in a media-based adaptation of the character would be to NOT follow the source material.

Like you say, a heavy re-tooling would be required.

Alpha Centauri
12-28-2009, 04:54 PM
People forget that Blade made Marvel movies credible again. It was so good that they altered the comic character to fit the movie portrayal, so I hear.

Regardless of this, people always credit the X-Men movie that had Sabretooth looking like a hobo and Halle Berry delivering lines with all the charisma of a rock as the movie that started it all. Annoys me.

I think that's what Marvel are doing with Deadpool; trying to make him a known before the movie comes out. I always thought it was suspicious that all of a sudden, the character I've loved since I was six suddenly got into a movie deal with three on-goings and many more minis to come.

LenNWallace
12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Runaways X 1000000.

Agreed a thousand times. If something doesn't get done with that property, I'll be shocked.

rwsmith
12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Honestly an animated movie based on Cable's latest series, where he's raising this mutant messiah kid and jumping through time while being pursued by another time-traveler, is something I could see working very well.

Not sure if Cable falls under the X-men umbrella, though, and therefore Fox has the rights to him as a character. I read some article awhile back about Marvel Studios possibly wanting to do a Cable film (as well as Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Moon Knight and some others), so that led me to believe that maybe he didn't go to Fox with the rest of the X-men.

Iron Fist could also be really, really cool as an animated feature if done right. Or perhaps even Heroes for Hire with Luke Cage, Misty Knight and some others (Shang-Chi? Jessica Drew?).

Cth
12-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Runaways X 1000000.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/3993684984_2159998f0a.jpg

And while we're at it.. ;)

They need to make a MARVEL TEAM UP cartoon, with Cap as the central character recruiting Avengers -- mirroring the audience's reaction as they both meet new characters for the first time since he's awakened.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2667/3909807765_a3a8a016d3_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/3910591792_c16cbbb571_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/3909807833_3778475295_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3910591798_a113e71341_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/3910591838_4827640e93_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/3909807893_53e37c65d9_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2484/3909807929_605cc1b883_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3909807949_9d163b290d_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/3909807975_48ab8b364d_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/3909808015_5b3b56054b_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3910591962_7d67822c16_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/3910591988_0f3c4c543d_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3910592010_af00ea422a_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3909807747_f881635189_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3909807733_f64a905039_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3910591712_7511c1bf21_m.jpg

AndrewG
12-29-2009, 06:21 AM

They need to make a MARVEL TEAM UP cartoon, with Cap as the central character recruiting Avengers -- mirroring the audience's reaction as they both meet new characters for the first time since he's awakened.

Ah, memories....

TIP
12-29-2009, 06:30 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/9/95/US_1_Vol_1_1.jpg/300px-US_1_Vol_1_1.jpg

batroc the leaper
12-29-2009, 06:31 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/9/95/US_1_Vol_1_1.jpg/300px-US_1_Vol_1_1.jpg

:lol:
Hollywood needs more "high adventure trucking".

TIP
12-29-2009, 06:35 AM
:lol:
Hollywood needs more "high adventure trucking".

U.S. Archer's got himself a CB skull
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tiptone/cbskull.jpg

afroloq
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM

I will see your US1 for

http://www.mobicomics.ca/covers/marvel/teamamerica_marvel_1_s.JPG

ThunderThunder
12-29-2009, 06:57 AM

WOW where did these pics of Cap n company come from?

TIP
12-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I will see your US1 for

http://www.mobicomics.ca/covers/marvel/teamamerica_marvel_1_s.JPG

Team-up!!!

Cth
12-29-2009, 07:03 AM
WOW where did these pics of Cap n company come from?

Original art by some guy I've posted previously. I just assembled it into the above package :D

costello
12-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Nice. Maybe we'll see some big budget animation use with these comic book characters. I'm not a fan of any of the movies that have come out yet.

JamesV
12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, Incredibles was more about the parent-child dynamic. Power Pack is about siblings. That's a pretty big difference.

The biggest problem, for me, is that Power Pack doesn't have the Pixar multi-layer magic. It's just not a property with a lot of levels, and most of their movies have been pretty deep.

I think there's a lot you could do with Power Pack but you need to bump their ages slightly. In the comic they started as 12, 10, 7, 5 but I think you go 14, 12, 9, and 7.

I think there's a wonderful amount of stuff that can be delved into in that age range, especially about how someone 14 and 12 views the world compared to their siblings. It could very much a story about growing up and modern cynicism.

And it's not like the original comic didn't tackle serious issues.

Foolish Mortal
12-29-2009, 08:13 AM
I think there's a lot you could do with Power Pack but you need to bump their ages slightly. In the comic they started as 12, 10, 7, 5 but I think you go 14, 12, 9, and 7.

I think there's a wonderful amount of stuff that can be delved into in that age range, especially about how someone 14 and 12 views the world compared to their siblings. It could very much a story about growing up and modern cynicism.

And it's not like the original comic didn't tackle serious issues.
And of course the whole alien angle with the Kymellians and the S'narks.