PDA

View Full Version : We're thinking of upgrading our home theater to an HDTV ready TV, etc...

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 08:09 AM
who's got a sweet set up at home they wanna share so I can get ideas on how to set ours up? I don't wanna rush into anything, I just want everything set up by the time the new TV season starts- that's my deadline. right now I'm looking into the Samsung DLP HDTVs, but I dont want to rule out plasma TVs yet. Space is not an issue though, which is why I feel that plasma might be overkill. We have DirecTV, so we'll be getting the HDTV signal through them.

Mark
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I love HDTV. I don't know what kind of TV I have, but I'll check and let you know. I just really want surround sound.

sto110
06-27-2005, 08:12 AM
yeah i was thinking about going ot a projector myself, curious as to what people recommend here.

Shane W
06-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Well, what's the price range you'e looking at?

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
yeah i was thinking about going ot a projector myself, curious as to what people recommend here.
I wouldn't get a projection tv. Plasma is better.

sto110
06-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't get a projection tv. Plasma is better.

actually i was thinking of getting a projector. Making it a movie room.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh,ok. I have seen some of those. I just don't like the rear projection TV's. If you do one that is hung from your ceiling that could be cool.

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Well, what's the price range you'e looking at?

well, the DLPs are roughly $3,000 which is fine, but then again, my mom wants to get something that will last and still be useful for many years, which is why I'm considering plasma (or maybe even LCD), although it is another $1,000-$2,000 more. And I want to get as big a TV as possible, because our living room is big. (we've had a 50 something inch rear projection TV for about 7 years now or so that's lasted all that time without incident, so she wants something with that kind of longevity)

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 08:33 AM

i have a friend who did that in his basement (blacked up the windows and everything- it's pitch black down there)... it's pretty darn cool- the whole wall is the screen basically. i wish i had a basement :(

Fourthman
06-27-2005, 08:35 AM
What will you do with the old TV?

DIBBS!

sto110
06-27-2005, 08:51 AM
i have a friend who did that in his basement (blacked up the windows and everything- it's pitch black down there)... it's pretty darn cool- the whole wall is the screen basically. i wish i had a basement :(

yeah me and the soon to be wife bought a house, finished basement no windows or exit to the outside so we want to make it a movie room prob ok to spend 3-4G but i want to make sure i like the quality and stuff.

DaGetHighKnight
06-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I have a 56inch dlp HDTV made by Phillips and It is the best thing ever. I had a 12 speaker super souround sound system to but i broke that shit.. I also owned a 42inch Plasma TV for about a week and a half and I hated it so i returned it and got what I have now..I didnt like the colors and the pixels always seemed to die out or something ,it drove me crazy.

Also HDTV is great for HD dvd's and shit but as far as HD television, I hate it its dark and low and my regular settings seem better than when I have it on HD...

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 09:22 AM
What will you do with the old TV?

DIBBS!

my goal is to put it in my bedroom (narrow staircase and doorway be damned!) - although i will have to remove my bed from the room to do it- i believe having a 50+" tv is better than having a bed.

lovewillkill
06-27-2005, 09:26 AM
well, the DLPs are roughly $3,000 which is fine, but then again, my mom wants to get something that will last and still be useful for many years, which is why I'm considering plasma (or maybe even LCD), although it is another $1,000-$2,000 more. And I want to get as big a TV as possible, because our living room is big. (we've had a 50 something inch rear projection TV for about 7 years now or so that's lasted all that time without incident, so she wants something with that kind of longevity)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. If you want a TV that's going to last a while, do NOT go with plasma. Last I heard, plasma TVs have a lifespan of about 4 years. Max.

Don't forget that any HDTV, when you play a normal-def show, will not look as good as a normal TV. It's a tolerable difference, but something yoiu need to know up front.

I just bought a 56" Samsung DLP last month and I LOVE it. DVDs and HDTV content look amazing. Hell, I probably watch Sports Center more now that I can watch it in HD than I ever have before.

lwk

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. If you want a TV that's going to last a while, do NOT go with plasma. Last I heard, plasma TVs have a lifespan of about 4 years. Max.

Don't forget that any HDTV, when you play a normal-def show, will not look as good as a normal TV. It's a tolerable difference, but something yoiu need to know up front.

I just bought a 56" Samsung DLP last month and I LOVE it. DVDs and HDTV content look amazing. Hell, I probably watch Sports Center more now that I can watch it in HD than I ever have before.

lwk

well, i've been reading up on plasmas and the life span is expanding. The DLPs eventually need bulb replacements, but that's only $300-$400 an takes a long time for bulbs to burn out. But yeah, i've been checking out the samsungs online and they look great- i'm gonna try and go to circuit city today or tomorrow to see one in person (i like the 61" samsung DLP). What HDTV service do you have?

Alex K.
06-27-2005, 09:33 AM

I was just about say this. I'm not sure if it's as short 4 years but they definitely have the shortest life-spans of all the types of sets.

Jonny Z
06-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I was just about say this. I'm not sure if it's as short 4 years but they definitely have the shortest life-spans of all the types of sets.

according to Cnet's guide,they're improving, but still- i dont know if it's worth it anyway

Plasma life span: The life span of plasma TVs is another area that's improved dramatically over the last few generations of the technology. Partly in response to claims made by LCD TV makers, plasma manufacturers are now claiming their panels last an extremely long time. According to Panasonic, for example, its 2005 plasmas have a life span of up to 60,000 hours before the panel fades to half brightness, which equates to more than 27 years of watching 6 hours of TV every day. Even if that's an exaggeration by a factor of three, the panel will still last for 9 years of heavy use.

KBash
06-27-2005, 09:50 AM
For $3500 or so you can get Panny's latest top of the line 42 HD inch plasma. The 42PX500.

For $2000 at Price Club you can get last years 42 inch ED plasma, which for all intents and purposes, looks the same if viewed at 10 feet or beyond.

Panasonic plasmas are pretty hands down the best plasma deal on the market. Seriously top quality and real nice prices.

KBash
06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
And the plasma lifespan thing was mostly a myth to begin with, something folks used to rationalize not spending the money. The old "short" average lifespan of 10 years is now more like 17.

Dannñ B
06-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I love HDTV. I don't know what kind of TV I have, but I'll check and let you know. I just really want surround sound. Surround sound is great. I want the HDTV.

dougmac
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
And the plasma lifespan thing was mostly a myth to begin with, something folks used to rationalize not spending the money. The old "short" average lifespan of 10 years is now more like 17.
This is more what I've heard to be true nowadays. The Sony Plasmas are very nice too.

Yano
06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
We've got a pretty sweet setup in our basement - I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

The hubby did tons of research and we ended up getting a projector that we mounted in the ceiling of the basement. We've got it hooked up to the HD Cable, so HD channels (and most cable channels) look pretty good. The screen as we have it set up right now is 100 inches. In total, it cost us about $2000, including all the wiring he bought (my dad's an electrician so he did the wiring) and the screen (which was about $100). We had a party a while back and all the guys were drooling over it and are currently making room in their living rooms to get one. I know that the bulb has only x hours of a lifespan (I don't remember what it was, but it's a lot), but since we only use it when watching movies, sporting events or 'LOST' (and other shows) then we figured it'll last us a pretty long time. We didn't even have to really cover up the windows - having the shades drawn is just fine, even with the lights on in the back of the room, the screen can still be seen pretty well.

Now all we need is some decent furniture down there. People can only survive so long on beanbags and a futon.

Corey A.
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Got a 56' Samsung DLP. Plasma is bad....the colors will fade in 5-7 years (rumored) & you can't fix it. The plasma breaks down over time. DLPS all you do is replace the lamp after 10,000 to 12,000 hrs of use(approx $250-$300) I Love mine! Xbox in HD is the best! Make sure it has the HD box built in or you'll have to buy an external set top to get off air HD signals.

Corey A.
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
The size also depends on how much room you have. I'm approx 10-12 ft from mine

sto110
06-27-2005, 11:52 AM
We've got a pretty sweet setup in our basement - I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

The hubby did tons of research and we ended up getting a projector that we mounted in the ceiling of the basement. We've got it hooked up to the HD Cable, so HD channels (and most cable channels) look pretty good. The screen as we have it set up right now is 100 inches. In total, it cost us about $2000, including all the wiring he bought (my dad's an electrician so he did the wiring) and the screen (which was about $100). We had a party a while back and all the guys were drooling over it and are currently making room in their living rooms to get one. I know that the bulb has only x hours of a lifespan (I don't remember what it was, but it's a lot), but since we only use it when watching movies, sporting events or 'LOST' (and other shows) then we figured it'll last us a pretty long time. We didn't even have to really cover up the windows - having the shades drawn is just fine, even with the lights on in the back of the room, the screen can still be seen pretty well.

Now all we need is some decent furniture down there. People can only survive so long on beanbags and a futon.

Would you mind sending me a PM or posting here with the model of the projector? This sounds like exactly what i want to do. Any other specific details are welcome too. I am doing this in about 2 months right after my wedding

Yano
06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Would you mind sending me a PM or posting here with the model of the projector? This sounds like exactly what i want to do. Any other specific details are welcome too. I am doing this in about 2 months right after my wedding

Once I get home, I'll post that all up...

KBash
06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Plasma is bad....the colors will fade in 5-7 years (rumored) & you can't fix it. The plasma breaks down over time.

Myth myth myth!