PDA

View Full Version : What comic do you wish would get the ASM treatment (3x/month)

Dave S.
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I am absolutely loving Amazing Spider-Man three times a month. It's still going strong and my only complaint is not enough Dan Slott anymore.

If you could have one comic follow suit, which would it be?

I would go with Nova. I love this comic so much. I look forward to it more than anything else coming out right now.

Ray G.
11-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Superman, once this current mega-arc is over. Moving to just "Superman in Action Comics" would be good, and I think it would benefit from the storyarcs going week-to-week instead of month-to-month, with one creative team on each arc. There's already sort of a "Brain trust" on the family of books.

Ben
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Superman's a good idea.

Some people suggest X-Men, but I don't think that's a good idea. It needs to be a single character that can support multiple titles. With X-Men, the multiple titles make sense because they're about different characters.

KSChris
11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
I still say X-Men. That franchise needs some focus. There's way too much going on in too many books.

James H
11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Deadpool. Not enough attention being paid to him lately.

Ben
11-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I still say X-Men. That franchise needs some focus. There's way too much going on in too many books.Why should a franchise with like 200 characters be focused? I think having different titles with different characters with different directions is exactly the way to handle things.

Ryudo
11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
C'mon guys! You know the answer is Wolverine!

edwardmblake
11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Atomic Robo.

tom daylight
11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Why three times a month? Why not fortnightly or weekly?

I'm not sure it's working on Spider-Man any more. It's really hard for the title to build up momentum when it chops and changes its creative team every two or three issues. I would like to see each writer take a longer run on it, maybe about 10 issues at a time. So I'd only really like to see the frequency increase on books where the creative team can handle it without quality deteriorating.

That said, Uncanny X-Men seems to be shipping more than monthly quite a lot of late (perhaps compensating for Astonishing delays).

Dusto
11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
None. I dropped Spider-Man, despite how much I was digging it, because it was eating up too much of my monthly Spidey budget.

AndrewG
11-18-2009, 09:55 AM

:)

information
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
None. I dropped Spider-Man, despite how much I was digging it, because it was eating up too much of my monthly Spidey budget.

You have a Spidey budget?!

I subscribe through Marvel, so I'm getting each issue for something like $1.39. That helps.

Dusto
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
You have a Spidey budget?!

I subscribe through Marvel, so I'm getting each issue for something like $1.39. That helps.

Oops, I meant comics budget. :Oops:

RoShambo
11-18-2009, 10:43 AM

:rock:
Yeah, I know you're being sarcastic, but it is Deadpool, so :rock:

Plus, we ARE getting (at least) 3 Deadpool books a month right now.

Evan the Shaggy
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Walking Dead.

chrisfasowned
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Walking Dead.

this.

i can't get enough of the walking dead.

KSChris
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Why should a franchise with like 200 characters be focused? I think having different titles with different characters with different directions is exactly the way to handle things.

Well, it's not working. When the best X-book is a fringe one like X-Factor, there's something wrong with the formula. There's too much going on, and none of it is all that interesting.

And there are too many characters anyway. Just because there's only 200 mutants left in the world, or whatever, doesn't mean each and every one of them has to be in the damn books.. :lol:

I would combine Uncanny, Legacy, and probably Cable into one book.

Bring Cable back to the X-Men, and make him team leader, with Cyclops in the Professor X role.

Keep Astonishing as the big "cinematic" type book with the epic storylines that take 5 years to come out.. keep X-Factor seperate, because it's the best book in the X-verse.. and that's about it. What else is there?

Supreme Convoy
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm leaning towards New Avengers or Secret Warriors. Those are always first in my read pile.

Andrew
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Wolverine.

The guy has 3 titles already, so why not?

maverick-99
11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Star Wars Legacy. Huge cast, very involved storyline(s).

RebootedCorpse
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
None. That's over-exposure and leads to weak stories.

TheKraken
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
None. I dropped Spider-Man, despite how much I was digging it, because it was eating up too much of my monthly comic budget.

The correct answer. The schedule played a much bigger part in me dropping the book after OMD than the content. Plus, Bendis has said on several occasions that he purposely avoids referencing what's going on in Spidey's life in the Avengers books because their schedules are so different and he doesn't want to spoil or contradict anything. Putting more titles in that position seems like a bad idea.

gooch
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Wolverine could work if its his only monthly title, i.e. no more Origins, and they stop putting out countless one shots.

Batman could work as well if DC dropped some his other titles.

A.Huerta
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Invincible

NickT
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
None. I'd rather different books with different creative teams, styles, tones and when relevent teams. I don't really see what is so great about throwing everything into one big mush of a book in comparison.

NickT
11-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I am having to do that now. It's never bad, always between quite good and great, but I can't justify keeping that over dropping three more focussed books.

maverick-99
11-18-2009, 12:56 PM
None. I'd rather different books with different creative teams, styles, tones and when relevent teams. I don't really see what is so great about throwing everything into one big mush of a book in comparison.

Except AMS does have different creative teams, styles, tones.

Master Jack Rabbitt
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, it's not working.

I think it's working just fine.

NickT
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Except AMS does have different creative teams, styles, tones.
Yes, in one lump of a book.

maverick-99
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, in one lump of a book.

I don't get what you area saying. You prefer the old system of three+ different Spidey books versus just having one?

NickT
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't get what you area saying. You prefer the old system of three+ different Spidey books versus just having one?
Yes, " I'd rather different books with different creative teams, styles, tones and when relevent teams" :)

Hate_Prime
11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Atomic Robo.

Only if you chain Scott Wegener to a desk and drip feed coffee and crystal meth so he never sleeps. I don't think I'd like Atomic Robo to have revolving creators.

maverick-99
11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, " I'd rather different books with different creative teams, styles, tones and when relevent teams" :)

but that's what it is now, minus the different titles part.

and imo it's better this way since you don't have three different story arcs going on at once, you have one arc, done, on to the next, wash, rinse, repeat.

Kurt Russell Crowe
11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Invincible

Maybe thats what they're doing with this new#1 which I hear is definately not a one-shot! ;-)

Artie Pink
11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
None. I would rather have the focus be on the talent and stories, rather than the schedule.

I don't think Amazing is very good these days (unless Marcos Martin is involved), and I truly hate the weekly storylines that run through other characters' multiple books.

tom daylight
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM

I think it's better to have just one, but I think it would have an easier time out there if it ran every two weeks instead of three times a month.

Ben
11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, it's not working. When the best X-book is a fringe one like X-Factor, there's something wrong with the formula. There's too much going on, and none of it is all that interesting.

And there are too many characters anyway. Just because there's only 200 mutants left in the world, or whatever, doesn't mean each and every one of them has to be in the damn books.. :lol:

I would combine Uncanny, Legacy, and probably Cable into one book.

Bring Cable back to the X-Men, and make him team leader, with Cyclops in the Professor X role.

Keep Astonishing as the big "cinematic" type book with the epic storylines that take 5 years to come out.. keep X-Factor seperate, because it's the best book in the X-verse.. and that's about it. What else is there?So you want to replace the X-books with a bunch of X-books? That doesn't seem like the ASM treatment people are talking about.

maverick-99
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
makes sense to have multiple books when the cast is large like X-Men

Ben
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
makes sense to have multiple books when the cast is large like X-MenYes, that's the point I was making.

Foggy's Pal
11-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, that's the point I was making.

The only real problem with the X-Men right now is that they seem stuck in event mode. It's just one event jumping to another, and they are all leading to one more huge event. I think they should stay separate for a while and tell more character focused stories.

KSChris
11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
So you want to replace the X-books with a bunch of X-books? That doesn't seem like the ASM treatment people are talking about.

What do you mean?

It'd be exactly the same thing.

When ASM went thrice monthly, they combined Amazing, Friendly Neighborhood, and Sensational under one branch. That's exactly what I'm saying should happen with the X-books. Combine three of the titles under one branch.

KSChris
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
makes sense to have multiple books when the cast is large like X-Men

That's the problem, though, in my opinion. The casts are too big, and growing seemingly every year. They need to cut back. Historically, the best periods in X-Men history have been when the X-Men were more focused.

I understand some may disagree, but it's just my opinion.

maverick-99
11-19-2009, 12:12 PM
gotta have team book tho

Zac Goyette
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Uncanny X-Men, Invincible Iron, and Ultimate Spider-Man just so I wouldn't have to wait so long in between issues.

Maestro
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Avengers! There's supposed to be a big shakeup after Seige, right?

shoelaceless
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Acme Novelty Library.

Ben
11-19-2009, 12:39 PM
What do you mean?

It'd be exactly the same thing.

When ASM went thrice monthly, they combined Amazing, Friendly Neighborhood, and Sensational under one branch. That's exactly what I'm saying should happen with the X-books. Combine three of the titles under one branch.But then you said there's be a bunch of other X-books, too.

The Dean
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd like the X-books to get consolidated and cleaned up. I quit during the Morrison run and now things seem way to expansive to jump back in.

KSChris
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
But then you said there's be a bunch of other X-books, too.

Right.. ones that are unaffected by the change.

I mean.. how many do we have now?

Uncanny
Legacy
Cable
X-Force
X-Factor
Astonishing
Wolverine: Weapon X
Wolverine: Origins
Wolverine
New Mutants
X-Men Forever

All I'm saying is.. take two of those titles, and together with Uncanny just repackage them like the Spidey titles did. Ultimately, you'd still have the same amount of books coming out, but the core book would be much more focused.

And really, they could easily alternate teams depending on the arc and keep other characters involved as well.

Bandit Chimera
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Star Wars Legacy. Huge cast, very involved storyline(s).

your right there ...this story needs at least another book a month...too much shit going on.

I'd love weekly exiles that way they would get stories and universes banged out all the time.....but shit like exiles and runaways can't even get a monthly book anymore :(

Mister Mets
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
The Avengers.

The end of Siege is the perfect opportunity to reunite the team.

And I think Bendis's stories work better if you wait a week instead of a month for the next chapter.

I don't think it has to be exactly like the ASM schedule though. I might prefer 30+ issues an year, with a months long intermission.

Mr. Dave
11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I think I could see Superman in this format. Some other heroes just would not work. Teams I think would be tough to really develop any sort of storyline.

I say Superman and I mean Clark Kent Superman. Not the wild stuff currently in the titles bearing the Superman name.

costello
11-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Every time I read this, I think you're asking which character should get the ass-to-mouth treatment.

sloth_love_chunk
11-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah I think they should cancel most of the X-Titles and just make Uncanny X-Men weekly. And maybe have Peter David as head writer. I would still keep Wolverine as its own title though and let Way and Aaron take turns on the character.

Andrew
11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't think it has to be exactly like the ASM schedule though. I might prefer 30+ issues an year, with a months long intermission.

Nobody else would like that, though.

NATE!
11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
JSA. Make every issue a cliffhanger, kind of like the old Republic serials.

CapnChaos
11-20-2009, 05:19 AM
JSA. Make every issue a cliffhanger, kind of like the old Republic serials.

That could be kind of neat. How about making the issues smaller and having the same creative team put them out on a weekly basis at a buck an issue or something? Actually, that could be cool for a Spirit comic as well since it's kind of like what they used to do in the paper, minus the cliffhangers.

Personally I dug back when they had four Superman and four Batman books and put the numbered shields on the front.