PDA

View Full Version : Bill Birch Talks Shazam

Greygor
11-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Obviously the one fans are going crazy over is that you are now writing Shazam with Geoff John? How did this come about?

Okay, first of all let me say that Geoff Johns is also a freakin' stud. He's young, smart, creative and has this crazy encyclopedic knowledge of everything DC. He's so cool I almost hate him a little bit. Thankfully I've been able to put that hate aside and I've enjoyed every minute we've spent working together while breaking the new Marvel/Shazam story. Geoff and I are in the thick of it, creating a kickass update that still honors the lore that's been created in over 50 years of Marvel storylines.

Shazam has been in development hell for so long, have you had to look through previous scripts or starting fresh?

I've read some of the previous versions and we're starting fresh.

Are you a fan of the comic book and if so what storylines inspired you?

I have four older brothers so growing up and we always had comics around the house. While Superman was probably the one we read most we did having a few Shazams around. I remember being fascinated with the idea that a kid could just say "Shazam!" and become a superhero. It's the ultimate in wish fulfillment and obviously that will be a theme in the script. I was also a religious watcher of the 70's TV show. You couldn't beat Shazam! followed by Isis could you? They just don't make TV like that anymore. (Actually after watching some Shazam! clips on You Tube I'm glad they don't. It's pretty bad but as a kid I remember it being awesome.)

In a time when comic adaptations are expected to be gritty and dark is Shazam the project that can be made for families or is dark and gritty the expected road for Capt. Marvel?

The way the story is shaking out, Geoff and I see this not as "dark" as Dark Knight but definitely as cool. It'll probably end up with a PG-13 rating.

What is the most important aspect you want to bring to Shazam?

Tonally I think it's important to successfully find the balance of comedy and danger in the story. That’s a major aspect I’m focusing on. Frankly hitting the right tone is what’s going to either get this made or keep it in development hell.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was at one point attached to play either Capt. Marvel or Black Adam (I think he decided he’d rather Black Adam) is this still the case? If so does it make it easier to write with him in mind or does it inhibit the writing process knowing who you’re writing for? Who, personally, would you love to see in the Billy Batson role?

My rule of thumb is that no actor is committed to do a movie until the first day of shooting is over with. (And sometimes even then the cast can still change) I know that Pete Segal and Dwayne have a relationship that was solidified when Pete directed Get Smart. As far as him being committed? I'm sure it'll all depend on the script. That being the case I don't write with anyone in mind. If the characters are solid it will attract good talent and then there will always be a rewrite to address the talent's concerns. Usually at that point in the process is when you start writing for that specific actor. More than likely the role of Billy Batson will be an unknown but the role of Cpt Marvel? I always thought Ryan Reynolds would have been interesting but now that he’s Green Lantern that’s not an option. Honestly I don’t think too much about it since I have very little say in the casting decisions.

Full Article (http://www.cinefools.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1360) including non-Shazam Stuff

SteveZegers
11-11-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm available to play the voice of Talky Tawny.

ThunderThunder
11-11-2009, 04:40 AM
After seeing the trailer for You Can't Handle the Tooth the Rock has turned into plain ol Dwayne for me.

...and Dwayne should stop. Just stop it Dwayne, stop it.

Generic Poster
11-11-2009, 06:40 AM
PG-13? Seems like Captain Marvel should be a straight PG project.

I'm going to stick to the Pixar version that exists entirely within my own mind.

Alexander Hamilton
11-11-2009, 07:10 AM
PG-13? Seems like Captain Marvel should be a straight PG project.

I'm going to stick to the Pixar version that exists entirely within my own mind.

My version is directed by Glenn Tartakofsky. Could you imagine what he could make with the budget of a feature film? Magic.. that's what.

Generic Poster
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
My version is directed by Glenn Tartakofsky. Could you imagine what he could make with the budget of a feature film? Magic.. that's what.

I could live with this as well.

artimoff
11-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Seth Mcfarlane should be Captain Marvel. He looks like the old CC Beck drawings.

Generic Poster
11-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Seth Mcfarlane should be Captain Marvel. He looks like the old CC Beck drawings.

Ha! I hadn't thought about it, but he does - he's got that squinty eye thing going.

Alexander Hamilton
11-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Wow... Seth actually would be a great voice actor for Cap. My mind never would have gone there.