PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Movie You Can Think Of...

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Name some horror movies that'll scare the hell out me... the gorier the better.

Ben
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
An Inconvenient Truth

The Hodag
10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't usually equate scares with gore, but I guess The Ring has both. And happens to be a good movie overall ta boot.

I actually jumped more during The Grudge, though. :)

Criden
10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Glitter.

RoShambo
10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Gigli?

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't usually equate scares with gore, but I guess The Ring has both. And happens to be a good movie overall ta boot.

I'll agree on the Ring. One of the scariest movies ever made and it was rated PG-13.

Dr. Blasphemy
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
The Exorcist..Still cant watch that fuckin movie...

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Gigli?

Glitter.

An Inconvenient Truth

Be serious you bastards! It's Halloween! :)

Gregory
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Watch Exorcist 3 just long enough for the extended nighttime hallway scene.

Ben
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
An Inconvenient Truth

Be serious you bastards! It's Halloween! :)You said you wanted something GOREY!

Doug
10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Jaws scared the shit out of me when I was little.

I was afraid to even take a bath after seeing it.

It doesn't scare me any more though. However when I was little that was the scariest movie ever.

Now, movies don't really scare me.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Candyman. Sweet Jesus this movie is bloody as hell and really terrifying.

AndrewG
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I've never gotten scared or jumped or jumped at a horror movie in my life. The only thing I've ever watch that stuck with me or haunted me after viewing it was the end of Seven.

I will be perusing this thread with great curiosity in the hopes of finding something that will keep me awake at night.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm just thinking of some rapid fire:

Master of Illusion
Suspiria
Event Horizon

Ziolko
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Drag Me To Hell freaked my wife out, and she's pretty hardcore when it comes to horror movies.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
You said you wanted something GOREY!

Now I get it! Very clever, my friend!

Patrick King
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I thought Drag Me to Hell was funnier than it was scary. The Ring freaked me the hell out though, it was sooooo creepy and atmospheric.

Doug
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
For you Randy, a movie and the book it was based on:
http://www.amazon.com/2004-World-Boston-Louis-Cardinals/dp/B000AM4P7W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256926421&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Diehard-Boston-Chronicle-Historic/dp/0743267532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256926505&sr=8-1

;)

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
The original "Last House of the Left."

With the banjo music, unflinching violence, and slapstick subplot you'll want to take a shower afterward.

But, I'm a sucker for ghost stories and the made-for-TV version of "A Haunting in Connecticut" freaked me out.

schizorabbit
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Gorey?

Hmmm. The Haunting, when I first saw it--the original black-n-white one, not the noisy remake--scared the shit out of me, but it has zero gore.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk200/schizorabbit/thehaunting.jpg

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought Drag Me to Hell was funnier than it was scary. The Ring freaked me the hell out though, it was sooooo creepy and atmospheric.

Outside of like the first ten minutes, the Ring 2 was one of the worst sequels ever.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
For you Randy, a movie and the book it was based on:
http://www.amazon.com/2004-World-Boston-Louis-Cardinals/dp/B000AM4P7W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256926421&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Diehard-Boston-Chronicle-Historic/dp/0743267532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256926505&sr=8-1

;)

Go Yanks.

The original "Last House of the Left."

With the banjo music, unflinching violence, and slapstick subplot you'll want to take a shower afterward.

But, I'm a sucker for ghost stories and the made-for-TV version of "A Haunting in Connecticut" freaked me out.

I always wanted to see this.... I'm assuming the remake is crap, right?

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I haven't seen the remake but it's impossible to recreate that 70s grime. Wes signed off on the new one but he also said they removed the campier aspects - which actually made the movie more disturbing.

"Scary" is a tough one. I love horror but find most movies to be unnerving, nauseating, or thrilling - rarely scary.

In terms of gorey 80s camper movies, I thought "The Burning" was actually pretty scary, and underrated.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
In terms of gorey 80s camper movies, I thought "The Burning" was actually pretty scary, and underrated.

That scene on the boat was pretty damn brutal.

Patrick King
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh God yes. Ring 2 was TERRIBLE. It had none of the tension, creepiness, or overall vibe of the first one at all.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM

I love camper movies.... Sleepaway Camp a classic...

Speaking of camper movies... how was the Friday the 13th remake?

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM

Much better than one would think. I was pleasantly surprised.

Brian Defferding
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
The Exorcist and The Exorcist III. The Exorcist III has some of the scariest scenes in any movie I've ever seen. You don't need to see The Exorcist II beforehand, in fact it's preferred that you skip that one. That was a terrible sequel. The third one, though, is a masterpiece.

The Ring and the Japanese original Ringu.

Event Horizon and Drag Me to Hell.

And of course, The Shining.

If it's gore you're looking for, try Dead Alive.

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
The Exorcist and The Exorcist III. The Exorcist III has some of the scariest scenes in any movie I've ever seen. You don't need to see The Exorcist II beforehand, in fact it's preferred that you skip that one. That was a terrible sequel. The third one though is a masterpiece.

The Ring and the Japanese original Ringu.

Event Horizon and Drag Me to Hell.

And of course, The Shining.

If it's gore you're looking for, try Dead Alive.

Been meaning to see Exorcist III - demonic possession can be terrifying when done right.

Leicester Dan
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush" from season 4. That was one freaky episode! They should take the "Gentlemen" and give them their own full movie as they are some freaky "make you feel uncomfortable" mofos.

SteveFlack
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Superman 3. But just the part where the lady was eaten by the computer and turned into a robot.

Fucking scary as hell.

RoShambo
10-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Be serious you bastards! It's Halloween! :)

Sorry.
I can't think of any SCARY movies right now.

Here's another one of the "it's SCARY that this was made", though. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087517/)
:shudder:

Brian Defferding
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush" from season 4. That was one freaky episode! They should take the "Gentlemen" and give them their own full movie as they are some freaky "make you feel uncomfortable" mofos.

Best episode ever.

Gregory
Watch the last 20 minutes of Audition. I fucking dare you. I've seen it once, and I still have sympathy pains.

yeamon
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I thought The Descent was pretty scary. But that may be because I'm claustrophobic.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Also, House on Haunted Hill has some disturbing as fuck imagery in it.

Brian Defferding
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Been meaning to see Exorcist III - demonic possession can be terrifying when done right.

It's both written and directed by William Peter Blatty, who wrote the original Exorcist books that the movie was based on. He did a fantastic job.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
it's both written and directed by william peter blatty, who wrote the original exorcist books that the movie was based on. He did a fantastic job.

Fucking SCISSOR NURSE!

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Also scary - that X-Files episode with the inbred mutants.

Too hot for TV.

Exorcist 3 = top of my queue.

Georgie
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I love camper movies.... Sleepaway Camp a classic...

Best slasher movie since the 80s, if you ask me.

As far as scary goes, the tension and build up in The Shining is pretty rough.

I haven't seen it, but I hear nothing but good things about Descent. I bought it a couple weeks ago and have been saving it for tomorrow night. I'm very excited to finally see it.

My all-time favorite movie, American Werewolf in London is pretty damn scary (the scene on the moors and the scene in the subway tunnel still put me on the edge of my seat), although it's lessened by it's humor.

Gregory
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Exorcist 3 = top of my queue.

Watch some fine damn acting from everyone involved. I can't believe the director hadn't made a movie before.

hamgravy
Best slasher movie since the 80s, if you ask me.

As far as scary goes, the tension and build up in The Shining is pretty rough.

I haven't seen it, but I hear nothing but good things about Descent. I bought it a couple weeks ago and have been saving it for tomorrow night. I'm very excited to finally see it.

My all-time favorite movie, American Werewolf in London is pretty damn scary (the scene on the moors and the scene in the subway tunnel still put me on the edge of my seat), although it's lessened by it's humor.

Agreed about American Werewolf.

And, not to blow up your expectations, but The Descent is easily one of the most heart-racing movies in recent memory.

schizorabbit
I overall enjoyed the American version of The Ring better than the Japanese original (having Naomi Watts definitely didn't hurt as well) but found the original Japanese ending (which took place in a claustrophobic, darkened apartment) infinitely scarier.

The night I first time I saw it, I ended up sleeping with the lights on.

Brian Defferding
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Watch some fine damn acting from everyone involved. I can't believe the director hadn't made a movie before.

He directed once before in 1980 for a film called "The Ninth Configuration."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081237/

It stars both Jason Miller (who played Damien Karras in the Exorcist movies) and the legendary Stacy Keach. I haven't seen it yet but it's on my queue. It looks like it's a mix between One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and Platoon.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Loved The Decent... awesome flick. American Werewolf in London is a friggin' classic...

Georgie
10-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Agreed about American Werewolf.

And, not to blow up your expectations, but The Descent is easily one of the most heart-racing movies in recent memory.

It's been a chore to not pop it in and watch it. But because of money limitations, I won't be going out and doing anything for Halloween, so I knew I'd need something new to make it a good night. I enjoyed Dog Soldiers, even though I barely count it as a werewolf film, and the clips and trailers I've seen for Descent have me very, very amped to see it.

schizorabbit
10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Loved The Decent... awesome flick. American Werewolf in London is a friggin' classic...

Ditto to both.

I wasn't a big fan of Dog Soldiers (I didn't even finish it, but may give it another chance) but freaking loved The Descent. A vicious film.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I've heard great things about "Let the Right One In"....

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Its a great movie, its not necessarily scary though.

LazyComix
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Cool... thanks

schizorabbit
10-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Ditto. It is a great movie. One of the best movie watching experiences I've had in the last few years. I loved everything about it.

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Ditto to both.

I wasn't a big fan of Dog Soldiers (I didn't even finish it, but may give it another chance) but freaking loved The Descent. A vicious film.

Agreed about Dog Soldiers. It barely holds together as a movie and Descent was a massive leap forward.

I haven't see the original Ringu but I thought Ju-On (the original Grudge) had some cool jump-scares and the room full of cats was crap-tastic.

Let the Right One In, yep, all around good movie but not scary.

superskrull
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I've been ranting about this movie all week....

John Carpenter's The Thing. Gory as hell and twice as scary.

I stand beside my vote that it's the best horror movie of all time.

maverick-99
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM

I actually jumped more during The Grudge, though. :)

I'm with you on both counts.

I like gory movies, I hate scary movies.

After I watched The Grudge, I was looking over my shoulder every time I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water. That movie creeped me out so bad I didn't watch another horror for almost a year. Seriously.

Evan the Shaggy
10-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Good call. Man the shit they did with makeup and prosthetics in that.

superskrull
10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Superman 3. But just the part where the lady was eaten by the computer and turned into a robot.

Fucking scary as hell.

You aren't the only one. That scene gave me nightmares for months. In my circle of friends, it rants somewhere between the crab walk in The Exorcist and the ending of Blair Witch in Horror Factor 10.

How something so genuinely scary can sneak into such a crap film - especially a "funny" Superman movie - is beyond me.

yeamon
10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Agreed about Dog Soldiers. It barely holds together as a movie and Descent was a massive leap forward.

Then Marshall inflicted Doomsday on the public. Which makes The Descent look more like a a lucky shot from a cheaply-made scattergun.

schizorabbit
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Then Marshall inflicted Doomsday on the public. Which makes The Descent look more like a a lucky shot from a cheaply-made scattergun.

Yeah, what da fuck was that?

I had to force myself to finish the film. Took me like three sittings. Then wished I hadn't.

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM

One of my favorite movies of all time but I don't find it scary.

Ingenious, nervewracking, and moody but I think I like it too much to be scared by it.

Same with the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's a work of art - although Leatherface's initial hammer attack always gets me.

Superman 3 was freeeaky. But as a kid, it was the closet monster from Poltergeist that had me change my bedtime routine for over a year.

hamgravy
10-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Crap - I was afraid of that and chose not to see it.

ThunderThunder
10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Fucking SCISSOR NURSE!

THIS!

I ran out of the theater. :sad:

Big McLargeHuge
10-30-2009, 11:49 AM
In the Mouth of MADNESSSSS!!!!!

Christian Beranek
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Alien still does it.

Godzilla Raids Again
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
dead alive - the pudding scene was disgusting. the lawnmower scene was a bloodfest.
from beyond
re-animator
return of the living dead 3
urotsukidoji: legend on the overfiend
dawn of the dead unrated version
the thing - john carpenter. thats not a guy in a suit.

batmanbooyah
10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Polar Express.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041105/164815__polar2_l.jpg

THAT SHIT IS NOT RIGHT!

NeverWanderer
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
All of the following movies can still wig me the fuck out given the right viewing environment:

John Carpenter's The Thing (gory)

The Amityville Horror (James Brolin & Margot Kidder)

Candyman (gory)

The Ring

The Blair Witch Project

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead (gory)

The Eye (original Chinese movie)

A.Huerta
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Anything with little white girls singing nursery rhymes.

Patrick King
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
dead alive - the pudding scne was disgusting. the lawnmower scene was a bloodfest.
from beyond
re-animator
return of the living dead 3
urotsukidoji: legend on the overfiend
dawn of the dead unrated version

Is that the one with the guy who gets the third eye and see the horrible interdimensional fish/locusts? That one was pretty freaky.

yeamon
10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
The Amityville Horror (James Brolin & Margot Kidder)

I actually think the prequel with Rocky's brother-in-law was a lot scarier and creepier.

Thudpucker
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
'People Under the Stairs' creeped me out.

Joe Kalicki
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
I thought Ringu was infinitely scarier than The Ring.

Brian Defferding
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM

As much as I loved Ringu, I thought the American version was better. Just better editing and directing, better scares, and I liked what they did with the camera, the subtle shots that illustrate our dependency on television. I think The Ring is the only American remake that's better than the japanese original though. Ju-On: The Grudge is definitely better than the American one.

Joe Kalicki
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
As much as I loved Ringu, I thought the American version was better. Just better editing and directing, better scares, and I liked what they did with the camera, the subtle shots that illustrate our dependency on television. I think The Ring is the only American remake that's better than the japanese original though. Ju-On: The Grudge is definitely better than the American one.

I just don't really find CGI horses and ladders to be all that scary. I thought Ringu had a much scarier atmosphere, and the video is really freaky.

EdNEMO
10-30-2009, 01:53 PM
The only ones for me were:

The Exorcist
Jaws
Dawn of the Dead

Fake Pat
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Big McLargeHuge
10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
I just don't really find CGI horses and ladders to be all that scary. I thought Ringu had a much scarier atmosphere, and the video is really freaky.

I'm going with the Americna remake as well. It was just tighter and better executed. With that said, I am a fan of Ringu as well. It worked better as a horror movie and Ringu worked better as a supernatural melodrama.

A.Huerta
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM

The horse was real.

Darthdaw37
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Jacob's Ladder scared the shit of me the first time I watched it.

Girlfriend In A Coma
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Watch Exorcist 3 just long enough for the extended nighttime hallway scene.

This!

The Shining (Kubrick)
The Exorcist
The Ring
Prince of Darkness

Garth
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Ooooh, yeah, that was a brutal one. Lynch does horror that no one classifies as horror. But is so much more infectiously terrifying.

mike black
10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.dvdnet.fi/catalog/images/Cannibal%20Holocaust.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Wait_Until_Dark_1967.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Cape_fear1960s.jpg

HomerGator
10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Jesus Camp. Brrrrrr.

Dark Sasha
10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
No hotlinking!!! I had nightmares after that movie!!! Jesus christ. What that guy did to that one girl. ekk.

mike black
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
No hotlinking!!! I had nightmares after that movie!!! Jesus christ. What that guy did to that one girl. ekk.

Cannibal Holocaust or Cape Fear? ;)

Garth
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
It's been a chore to not pop it in and watch it. But because of money limitations, I won't be going out and doing anything for Halloween, so I knew I'd need something new to make it a good night. I enjoyed Dog Soldiers, even though I barely count it as a werewolf film, and the clips and trailers I've seen for Descent have me very, very amped to see it.

If possible try to get the unrated cut. I don't think there are many changes except for the ending. The US got a really shlocky horrible ending, while the UK ending is far superior. One of the best horror films ever if you ask me.

Amazingly moody and perfect in many ways. But not scary. Though if you love having movies that stick with you afterward (I do) then this one is for you. It gives a pretty great perspective on a number of things.

That is playing at my local theater in an hour, I am considering heading over there. So amazing what they did without computers. And so much more frightening as well.

Mister Mets
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM
The Shining made me jump.

Psycho's also scary as hell. But both have lost some of the element of surprise.

HomerGator
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Poltergeist

Mister Mets
10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Herzog's version of Nosferatu

The Cable Guy
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Tetsuo: The Iron Man after eating too many Psilocybin mushrooms. Does wonders to the pysche.

Taxman
10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
An Inconvenient TruthI don't usually equate scares with goreAgreed. Ben has a funny sense of things at times.

LazyComix
10-31-2009, 05:53 AM
Picked up Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" and friggin' loved it... I liked it better than the original... also picked up "Buried Alive" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479199/), not for any reason other than it was "2 for $10" horror movies at Entertainment Outlet and I thought the cover looked fun. Plus it's the old "Teens go camping" deal so how bad can it be?

Pia Guerra
10-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Mulholland Drive and the first 20 minutes of Lost Highway... in a dark room. They will totally unbalance you.

Ju-On.
The Changeling (the 1980 film starring George C. Scott)
Pontypool
The Exorcist
28 Days Later

jonanthebarbarian
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I would have to say they always come back. I think its a stephen king movie, but it still freaks me out

Godzilla Raids Again
10-31-2009, 11:22 PM

somethings are just creepier in a foreign language.
INCUBUS - WILLIAM SHATNER.. sounded creepy

Japhy Ryder
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
"Meet the Feebles" in a dark, small, unfamiliar room while on a healthy dose of psychotropics. You will never be the same.

Fygar
10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
My personal favorite horror movies, but few are genuinely scary.

Jaws
Alien
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (more funny than anything)
28 Days Later
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
The Thing
The Exorcist
Paranormal Activity
The Devil's Rejects
Let the Right One In
Halloween
The Orphanage

Leicester Dan
11-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Also, House on Haunted Hill has some disturbing as fuck imagery in it.

The shots through the video camera in the remake give me the heebies...

Hate_Prime
11-01-2009, 03:40 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Event_horizon_ver1.jpg

Girlfriend In A Coma
11-01-2009, 06:10 AM
maybe it's just because I'm a female...but Grace was the first movie to scare me since Event Horizon.

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Grace/grace_movie_poster_sundance_2009.jpg

The Cable Guy
11-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer