PDA

View Full Version : What was the first comic you read that made you want to work in comics?

Tommie Kelly
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
For me it was Daredevil: Born Again.

I found it in my cousin's bedrrom when I was eleven and that's the one that made me want to be an artist/writer.

I also found Watchmen, Dark Knight and V for Vendetta after that on the same shelf, so I had a great start!

SKAtoons
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
First comic I read that made me want to do comics was the Spawn series and Scud. I later met or dealt with those creators and they almost made me wanna stop doing comics because how shitty they treated me as a fan.

Ziggy
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
for me it was mad magazine. i guess that's why i always gravitated towards humor stuff.

on another note, i've come to realize that the first step in figuring out is someone's an asshole or not is seeing if rob is a fan of their work.

tdaniel
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
shit man you're going to make me expose my advanced age...it would have been X-Men 3137 most likely, on date of publish...the dream has been a long time in the making...

M. Sean McManus
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I read comics for some time before I ever thought about creating comics so I'm not sure what made me audacious enough to think I could make one... I'm still not sure I can. Oh wait, I remember now the full story an old friend of mine told me he wanted to be an illustrator he just wanted me to write for him. Even though that never worked out at all... blame him for me being here.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Transmetropolitan or Lucifer. Some of the first VERTIGO titles that I read, that made me realize the edginess that comics can have!

SKAtoons
10-20-2009, 05:19 PM
i tend to find that less known books were more important to me than dc or marvel...i owed the Battle Pope's when Kirkman was an unknown and loved them!! Other titles or one shots Heaven, LLC was great too!

mlpeters
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
3 books, all published around the same time in the late '70s... and oddly, all three were reprints from earlier times -- "The Complete Marvel Conan Vol 3 (reprinting in paperback novel size, issues 7,8 and 9 by Thomas and (Windsor-)Smith, with all three tales loosely based on stories by Robert E. Howard), Saga of the Swamp Thing DC Summer Special #2 (reprinting Swamp Thing issues 3 and 4 by Wein and Wrightson) and Fantastic Four 189 (reprinting a story from FF Annual 4 -- Lee, Kirby and Sinnott).

I was around 7 years old.

Later books refined my aspirations, but those three, more than any other books, made me want to make comics.

Tschloendorn
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
In a similar fashion as Mr. McManus it was reading a story idea that my best friend had that got me wanting to work in comics.

Tommie Kelly
10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
What happened Rob? What did they do to you?

Jef UK
10-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Probably Liefeld's and Jim Lee's early work. I thought I'd be a penciller. Although, I was drawing my own Garfield strips starting in 2nd grade.

It's hanging around the Jinxworld forums that got me off my ass to do it, though. Otherwise, I was writing some X-Men plots in undergrad. Then when I got into grad school in NY, I wrote some scripts to submit to Future Shock, one of which I used for the Secret Project Antho!

Jef UK
10-21-2009, 06:27 AM
..it would have been X-Men 3137 most likely

Can you spoil me on when Phoenix returns?

Mikie
10-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think there was a comic that made me say "Yeah, I gotta do this when I grow up!" I do know I made my own comic strips as a kid for fun and used to try and figure out how they put together shots in films as I watched them, so I think I always wanted to go in this direction with my life.

Arion
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
3 books, all published around the same time in the late '70s... and oddly, all three were reprints from earlier times -- "The Complete Marvel Conan Vol 3 (reprinting in paperback novel size, issues 7,8 and 9 by Thomas and (Windsor-)Smith, with all three tales loosely based on stories by Robert E. Howard), Saga of the Swamp Thing DC Summer Special #2 (reprinting Swamp Thing issues 3 and 4 by Wein and Wrightson) and Fantastic Four 189 (reprinting a story from FF Annual 4 -- Lee, Kirby and Sinnott).

I was around 7 years old.

Later books refined my aspirations, but those three, more than any other books, made me want to make comics.

Barry Windsor Smith has always been one of my favorite artists . If I could have asked for one talent, and one talent only, it would have been to be able to draw like Barry. Absolutely inspiring and talented artist.

mlpeters
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Barry Windsor Smith has always been one of my favorite artists . If I could have asked for one talent, and one talent only, it would have been to be able to draw like Barry. Absolutely inspiring and talented artist.

I know what you mean. I've kinda always wanted to be almost an amalgam of The Studio artists(Barry, Bernie Wrightson, Mike Kaluta and Jeffrey Jones -- '70s "rock stars" of fantasy/neo-romantic art), but I lean most toward Barry.

Ron Salas
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Miller's Daredevil

Arion
11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I know what you mean. I've kinda always wanted to be almost an amalgam of The Studio artists(Barry, Bernie Wrightson, Mike Kaluta and Jeffrey Jones -- '70s "rock stars" of fantasy/neo-romantic art), but I lean most toward Barry.

Amazingly talented people. I don't know why but sometimes I feel like the only Barry Windsor Smith fan. Glad to know I'm not alone .