PDA

View Full Version : F-bomb on SNL!!!

Jonny Z
09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
They had to know it would happen during this frickin biker chick sketch

Dark Sasha
09-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Why was there a sin city page in the background?

Adam Geen
09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought she said that!

lonesomefool
09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Who said it?

Jonny Z
09-26-2009, 08:50 PM
That transformers sketch was genius

Jonny Z
09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Who said it?

One of the new chicks :) bye bye!!!

Doc Randy
09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Aren't they allowed to cuss and even show nudity if they want? FCC standards are much lighter after hours.

Dark Sasha
09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Aren't they allowed to cuss and even show nudity if they want? FCC standards are much lighter after hours.

Not on a network.

Adam Geen
09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
It was one of the new girls during the Biker Chick Chat sketch. Almost right at the beginning. She even made a small face afterwards.

MagicGamer
09-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Thought that's what I heard.

lonesomefool
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
One of the new chicks :) bye bye!!!

Ah, yeah she is probably done. I thought it might have been Megan Fox since she pretty much has built her entire career around a pretty face and trying to stir up the image she's a real "bad girl".

Doc Randy
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Not on a network.

I'm pretty sure they can. I think networks just choose not to for fear of controversy with sponsors. Remember how Nightline showed Madonna's Justify My Love video, which did have nudity?

Yep.

From the FCC website (http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/FAQ.html):

What is the “safe harbor”? The “safe harbor” refers to the time period between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., local time. During this time period, a station may air indecent and/or profane material. In contrast, there is no “safe harbor” for the broadcast of obscene material. Obscene material is entitled to no First Amendment protection, and may not be broadcast at any time.

After 10pm, networks can show cussing and nudity, but choose not to.

PeterSparker
09-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Keep fucking that chicken!

King of Mars
09-26-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they can. I think networks just choose not to for fear of controversy with sponsors. Remember how Nightline showed Madonna's Justify My Love video, which did have nudity?Yeah. That was a big part of the initial draw of NYPD Blue...the cursing and nudity.

CapnChaos
09-26-2009, 08:57 PM
After hours the networks do have the ability to show things with far fewer restrictions.

However, NBC is not the FCC and may fire her to err on the side of caution. They did when Charles Rocket dropped it.

Dark Sasha
09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I really hate Bono. He's such a tool.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!

Jonny Z
09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Keep fucking that chicken!

Hahaha

information
09-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Daaang. I bet we'll get the dress rehearsal version on the west coast.

dougmac
09-26-2009, 09:00 PM
they let some things go, but not the F-bomb. Even shit has to be in a certain context, and only ass and side boob (no nipples) are allowed

LenNWallace
09-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Pretty sure Norm MacDonald dropping the F-bomb on an old Weekend Update was part of the reason that NBC got rid of him.

Svady
09-26-2009, 09:21 PM
What a way to start a season.

WhindamPryce
09-26-2009, 09:22 PM
:rofl:

Fygar
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
I think it's so weird that you can lose your job for saying a word every single one of us has heard (and more than likely) said many many times. I've heard people say fuck in church.

Ryan Elliott
09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I think it's so weird that you can lose your job for saying a word every single one of us has heard (and more than likely) said many many times. I've heard people say fuck in church.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/justicelivesnot/FreakinFCC-2.jpg

xhondax
09-26-2009, 09:59 PM
so it will be bleeped out for the west coast feed i'm guessing?

gaspar
09-26-2009, 10:08 PM

I think it's pretty stupid that that entire skit was built around the fact that they weren't quite saying fuck, even though they were basically saying "almost fuck" so that everyone knows what they were supposed to be saying if they were allowed to say it, but because she slipped and actually SAID IT, she's going to be in trouble. Fuck that. Who gives a shit. It's ridiculous...it's a word that (I'm assuming) many/most people use...it was on at like 1145cst. My ears didn't start bleeding. Give her a slap on the wrist and fucking move on.

Dr. Chaos
09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Wait...I didn't imagine that?

Awesome.

Mike McNeely
09-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Already on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAIimwCTd0

Ryan Elliott
09-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Holy shit. She said it.

Everybody okay?

Between this and nipples at the super bowl, who's thinking of the children?!

Zack_Hunter
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Already on youtube!

I really don't see the big deal. Though what a bunch of bitches when it comes to modern SNL. Steve Martin, Akroyd or Jim belushi would have had that cigarette lit and been smoking away during the sketch.

God I miss good SNL when the original cast didn't give a shit. :cool:

Zack_Hunter
09-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Oh and you right fricken into a sketch enough, of course the comedian/actress is going to drop an f bomb, it slips if you write it into the same damn sentence more then twice.

I also love the fact that she almost followed it through with saying shit right before megan fox comes out. Nice seeing a new face while it lasted.

Ryan Elliott
09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I really don't see the big deal. Though what a bunch of bitches when it comes to modern SNL. Steve Martin, Akroyd or Jim belushi would have had that cigarette lit and been smoking away during the sketch.

God I miss good SNL when the original cast didn't give a shit. :cool:

And were, you know, funny.

Zack_Hunter
09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
And were, you know, funny.

Me and you ryan, completely same wave length man.

SNL hasn't been funny except for a few little sketches in a really, really long time. It lost it's charm and really is rather direction less. I need to go back to reading the SNL story, the book that they put out a while ago.

It feels like early 80's SNL, where the cast sucked. Wasn't until people like dana carvey and Mike Myers were added to the cast that it balanced out.

Same as the 90's about 93-94 when cheri oteri, will ferrel and a few others were brought it that it started getting good again.

Though apparently now it's the middle to late 2000's that it sucks throughout.

Way to go lorne, killing your own show very slowly.

RickLM
09-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Bill Murray lit a joint on camera in one of the early SNL seasons, but I don't think anyone got in trouble.

Ryan Elliott
09-26-2009, 11:49 PM

SNL hasn't been funny except for a few little sketches in a really, really long time. It lost it's charm and really is rather direction less. I need to go back to reading the SNL story, the book that they put out a while ago.

It feels like early 80's SNL, where the cast sucked. Wasn't until people like dana carvey and Mike Myers were added to the cast that it balanced out.

Same as the 90's about 93-94 when cheri oteri, will ferrel and a few others were brought it that it started getting good again.

Exactly. All those times you mentioned were hilarious.

Bill Murray lit a joint on camera in one of the early SNL seasons, but I don't think anyone got in trouble.

Wow. really?

Zack_Hunter
09-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Exactly. All those times you mentioned were hilarious.

Wow. really?

I always thought it was Belushi, just because...it was Belushi. But I guess I stand corrected.

A lot of the shit they did in the early days was raw and just in your face. the kind of comedy that you didn't know if they would get away with it or not.

SNL was the go to show for everything....nowadays there doesn't seem to be that kind of show.

You can't have Dan Akaroyd called Jane and ignorant slut, you can't have Adam Sandler getting molested as the cantina boy and you can't apparently have will ferrel in a patriotic almost man thong. It's sad that they don't even seem to attempt to push things as far as they can go anymore.

No black gumby, no superstar, no church lady. there's nothing there.

When you have something like "gilly" and I find myself laughing at the guest star with the fuex polish accent and not the character itself....your writing room has a problem.

Ryan Elliott
09-27-2009, 12:03 AM
I always thought it was Belushi, just because...it was Belushi. But I guess I stand corrected.

A lot of the shit they did in the early days was raw and just in your face. the kind of comedy that you didn't know if they would get away with it or not.

SNL was the go to show for everything....nowadays there doesn't seem to be that kind of show.

You can't have Dan Akaroyd called Jane and ignorant slut, you can't have Adam Sandler getting molested as the cantina boy and you can't apparently have will ferrel in a patriotic almost man thong. It's sad that they don't even seem to attempt to push things as far as they can go anymore.

No black gumby, no superstar, no church lady. there's nothing there.

When you have something like "gilly" and I find myself laughing at the guest star with the fuex polish accent and not the character itself....your writing room has a problem.

Man...all those things are so funny.

Oh well. Maybe the dry spell will be up soon.

Pia Guerra
09-27-2009, 12:05 AM
West coast feed didn't bleep it though that could be a Canadian thing.

Huh, Bono's got frickin' lay-zer beams coming off him!

A.Huerta
09-27-2009, 12:07 AM

Those were better days.

Prime
09-27-2009, 01:39 AM
the word fuck on tv at this time of night is really such a problem?

after 9pm over here you get swearing and nudity all you want.

hell channel 4 and 5 base their output on it.

Ben
09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm pretty sure they can. I think networks just choose not to for fear of controversy with sponsors. Remember how Nightline showed Madonna's Justify My Love video, which did have nudity?

Yep.

From the FCC website (http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/FAQ.html):

After 10pm, networks can show cussing and nudity, but choose not to.So sounds like NBC is safe from fines here. But if the new girl accidentally took a dump on Megan Fox's head during a sketch, they'd be screwed.

UltimateFactor
09-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Her facial expression after she said it was fuckin' HILARIOUS! :rofl:

dougmac
09-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Pretty sure Norm MacDonald dropping the F-bomb on an old Weekend Update was part of the reason that NBC got rid of him.

he got fired because the head of the network was friends with OJ and Norm wouldn't lay off the OJ jokes despite receiving several warnings

Boris the Blade
09-27-2009, 03:51 AM
I love how they have different definitions for profane, indecent and obscene.

At least they didn't go into inappropriateness. The fines for being inappropriate are huge.

Artie Pink
09-27-2009, 04:40 AM
They should fire cast members for not being funny.

Boris the Blade
09-27-2009, 04:43 AM
They should fire cast members for not being funny.
Wasn't that the reason given for firing Norm McDonald.

I love that fucker.

Artie Pink
09-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Wasn't that the reason given for firing Norm McDonald.

I love that fucker.

Yeah, that was the reason given, but the real reason is that McDonald wouldn't stop with the OJ jokes.... and OJ was a golf buddy of NBC bigshot Don Ohlmeyer.

And yeah, I thought Norm was great, too.

lonesomefool
09-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Already on youtube!

The best part is her face after she said it and the crowd laughing uncomfortably.

Boris the Blade
09-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I didn't know the OJ thing before today, and now I love Norm even more. He's got balls.

Jim T.
09-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Watching it this morning, it doesn't seem like that YouTube link has the "fucking" in it - just more "fricking"...

Prime
09-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Just watched it, at the end you set Seth Myers Hugging her, they know...

The transformers digital short was gold though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMphSYNfg7o

Foolish Mortal
09-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Watching it this morning, it doesn't seem like that YouTube link has the "fucking" in it - just more "fricking"...
She says it at 0:52.

Jim T.
09-27-2009, 05:40 AM
She says it at 0:52.

Ah - there it was. Thanks! :)

Alexander Hamilton
09-27-2009, 06:50 AM
WHO CARES!?

Seriously... This is ridiculous. If she gets any shit from the network, fuck them.

Martin J
09-27-2009, 06:51 AM
the word fuck on tv at this time of night is really such a problem?

after 9pm over here you get swearing and nudity all you want.

hell channel 4 and 5 base their output on it.

Channel 4 dont even care they love it when countdown brings out the rude.

Wanker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwdue7Aurw) and Minges (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLBFyV7XOTs&feature=related) on tv at about 3:30 just as the schools get home, gotta love the "yeah minges is ok" :)

CapnChaos
09-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Only interesting thing in the sketch. That was TERRIBLE.

Ben
09-27-2009, 07:09 AM
There's no way anyone could say "frickin" so much on live television and not accidentally slip. Also, she was probably nervous as frick.

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 07:28 AM
That was great. Hope they keep her. I don't see the big deal.

Ben
09-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Why aren't they on a delay?

Doc Randy
09-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Why aren't they on a delay?

Because they don't have to be.
Also, there is a good chance that this was all intentional as an effort to draw attention to the show. It is a clever way to start the season with a bang.

LordKinbote
09-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Also, there is a good chance that this was all intentional as an effort to draw attention to the show. It is a clever way to start the season with a bang.

Eh, not considering the face she made afterwards.

ThisSpaceForRent
09-27-2009, 08:07 AM

I'd hope they'd want to draw attention to a funnier sketch. The lack of funny is way more offensive than the f-word.

lonesomefool
09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I'd hope they'd want to draw attention to a funnier sketch. The lack of funny is way more offensive than the f-word.

It says a lot that even the weakest Digital Shorts are better than 99% of the sketches that I have seen.

Captain Sensation
09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
There's no way anyone could say "frickin" so much on live television and not accidentally slip. Also, she was probably nervous as frick.

this

bartleby
09-27-2009, 08:40 AM

Eh, not considering the face she made afterwards.

He could mean that it's intentional that the censors let it slip by, but not that she said it. Or maybe the face she made was deliberate and part of the plot.

hamgravy
09-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Yes and Yes.

The real offense was starting with such a generic opening sketch (the Flight Attendants).

I know that the writers aren't working during the off-season, but did none of them have a single funny idea over that period of time? Was this the best leader skit to launch a season with? I guess so.

AndrewG
09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I've found the Thursday episodes much better. I don't know if it's because Seth and Amy are better than the rest of the cast or the shorter length better for the show.

I only laughed during the Russian bride skit and the Transformers Digital short.

CapnChaos
09-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes and Yes.

The real offense was starting with such a generic opening sketch (the Flight Attendants).

I know that the writers aren't working during the off-season, but did none of them have a single funny idea over that period of time? Was this the best leader skit to launch a season with? I guess so.

They used them for Thursday. Oh wait, that wasn't funny either.

Dreaded Anomaly
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I love how they have different definitions for profane, indecent and obscene.

At least they didn't go into inappropriateness. The fines for being inappropriate are huge.

I love how they claim that "obscene material" has no First Amendment protection, even though neither the word nor concept of "obscene" appears in the First Amendment or, for that matter, anywhere in the Constitution.

Brad N.
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Nothing will happen to her, guys, settle down. Cheri O'Teri let "Shit" slip in a sketch early on in her SNL career and nothing happened to her.

RebootedCorpse
09-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Short link:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/27/snl-premiere-f-bomb-video_n_301081.html
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/107506/thumbs/s-JENNY-SLATE-large.jpg

Whip
09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
She was saying "fricken" so much (it was bound to happpen), I had to watch the skit again to catch when she said it. It was so fast and they just moved on from it, I bet half the viewers (who have to be dead tired/stoned/drunk to watch this in the first place) didn't even notice it.

Mr. E!
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
he got fired because the head of the network was friends with OJ and Norm wouldn't lay off the OJ jokes despite receiving several warnings

Yup.

And as far as the not lighting up the cigarette on stage, she may not have been allowed to. The NYC public anti-smoking laws are hella strict.
I know in VA we are not allowed to have real fire or anything burning on stage (depending on the venue). I did not know this until I lit up a smoke while doing a production of West Side Story, and almost got fined for it.

Supreme Convoy
09-27-2009, 12:09 PM
On the west coast feed, she had that same expression after saying "fuck" but it sounded like she said "frickin'." I guess they edited that portion?

Matthew
09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Yup.

And as far as the not lighting up the cigarette on stage, she may not have been allowed to. The NYC public anti-smoking laws are hella strict.
I know in VA we are not allowed to have real fire or anything burning on stage (depending on the venue). I did not know this until I lit up a smoke while doing a production of West Side Story, and almost got fined for it.

And maybe the actress just did not want to smoke because she is not a smoker?

Dark Sasha
09-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I still want to know why there was a sin city page in that skit.

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I still want to know why there was a sin city page in that skit.

Bikers just love Sin City.

I'm finding it more interesting how we've reached the point where any time anything happens we all assumed it's all pre-planned to promote something. (See Kanye West.) Nothing can ever just be a mistake, an actcident or a glorious fuck up, it's part of viral marketing. We've become quite cynical as a society.

Foolish Mortal
09-27-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm finding it more interesting how we've reached the point where any time anything happens we all assumed it's all pre-planned to promote something. (See Kanye West.) Nothing can ever just be a mistake, an actcident or a glorious fuck up, it's part of viral marketing. We've become quite cynical as a society.
Everything has to be a conspiracy now. Yes, it's quite silly.

Ryan Elliott
09-27-2009, 01:18 PM

That's exactly what the illuminati members would say...:mistrust:

Jef UK
09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
It's probably her character too, and when performing with the UCB, she said, "fuck," the entire skit.

Dark Sasha
09-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Wait. Wait. Wasn't this skit just Wayne's World?

Dark Sasha
09-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Whoever wrote the first digital short should be the one who gets fired.

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Whoever wrote the first digital short should be the one who gets fired.

What was it he said to her before he walked away? I listened to it three times and I couldn't make it out. I didn't get that one.

chrisfasowned
09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Wait. Wait. Wasn't this skit just Wayne's World?

thank you, i was thinking that as well...

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Wayne's World with biker chicks. And swearing.

By the way, people used to give Jimmy Fallon hell for laughing and grinning at his own jokes (they still do) but I notice that Seth Myers smirks and grins at his own jokes often, too, and no one says anything about it.

CapnChaos
09-27-2009, 02:54 PM

By the way, people used to give Jimmy Fallon hell for laughing and grinning at his own jokes (sthey still do) but I notice that Seth Myers smirks and grins at his own jokes often, too, and no one says anything about it.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person that doesn't find Seth funny.

And yeah, a lot of WW in that skit, but it's not the first time they've tried to repeat it and it won't be the last.

Dan-C
09-27-2009, 04:14 PM

By the way, people used to give Jimmy Fallon hell for laughing and grinning at his own jokes (they still do) but I notice that Seth Myers smirks and grins at his own jokes often, too, and no one says anything about it.

I think the difference is Seth Meyers is doing the news, and the news anchors have always laughed at their own jokes. Fallon would do it in character, especially when he was with Horatio Sanz.

Also, Fallon wasn't that funny. Meyers is solid. I love when he just starts dropping multiple punchlines to the same joke.

usagi20
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I have still yet to hear anyone tell me exactly what is so horrible about the word, "fuck." There are about a dozen other words that mean more or less the same thing, and no one gets in trouble for saying those words on network television. What is it about the word "fuck" that is so much more vulgar than saying "fudge" or "screw," depending on the context?

The Count
09-27-2009, 04:52 PM
If SNL were smart, they would use this as an opportunity for a really good sketch idea and get on top of the "controversy". Knowing that people will tune in to see if they have more moments like this, I would write a one-off sketch for that girl specifically. She would be the "fuck" girl. Everyone sitting around staring at her, waiting with anticipation for her to drop the f-bomb during normal conversation. As they antagonize her, she becomes more and more frustrated and finally screams "Fuck" at the top of her lungs as they hard cut to black. Could be really funny, could be recurring if written correctly and would capitalize on the whole situation.

Also, she shouldn't be fired or fined, but might get suspended even though that is stupid as well.

Ben
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I always liked when Fallon and Sanz cracked up during sketches. It made them funny.

Ben
09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
If SNL were smart, they would use this as an opportunity for a really good sketch idea and get on top of the "controversy". Knowing that people will tune in to see if they have more moments like this, I would write a one-off sketch for that girl specifically. She would be the "fuck" girl. Everyone sitting around staring at her, waiting with anticipation for her to drop the f-bomb during normal conversation. As they antagonize her, she becomes more and more frustrated and finally screams "Fuck" at the top of her lungs as they hard cut to black. Could be really funny, could be recurring if written correctly and would capitalize on the whole situation.

Also, she shouldn't be fired or fined, but might get suspended even though that is stupid as well.And they could have a 9 year old kid come in, accidentally knock down the set, and say "I didn't do it."

CapnChaos
09-27-2009, 05:01 PM
And they could have a 9 year old kid come in, accidentally knock down the set, and say "I didn't do it."

"Only I may dance."
http://www.dailyraider.com/tv/conan/animatedconan.png

Dark Sasha
09-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Seth doesn't do it in character during a skit.

What was it he said to her before he walked away? I listened to it three times and I couldn't make it out. I didn't get that one.

I like Will Forte, but that was painful.

RickLM
09-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I have still yet to hear anyone tell me exactly what is so horrible about the word, "fuck." There are about a dozen other words that mean more or less the same thing, and no one gets in trouble for saying those words on network television. What is it about the word "fuck" that is so much more vulgar than saying "fudge" or "screw," depending on the context?

Because "screw" is a substitute for a swear word, and "fuck" is universally seen as not just a swear word, but the mother of all swear words. It's only bad because people think it's bad; and since they do, it's still taboo. May not make any sense but what is, is.

dEnny!
09-27-2009, 05:09 PM

Also, she shouldn't be fired or fined, but might get suspended even though that is stupid as well.

Is there actual controversy? The only place I've seen it mentioned is this board, granted I've been watching the boys and football today, but Yahoo is talking about Megan Fox and her photoshopped nudes she showed during the monologue with only a mention to the incident.

The girl in the skit doesn't strike me as very funny....irritating, yes. The bit of the skit I saw...was terrible.

usagi20
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Because "screw" is a substitute for a swear word, and "fuck" is universally seen as not just a swear word, but the mother of all swear words. It's only bad because people think it's bad; and since they do, it's still taboo. May not make any sense but what is, is.

Whenever anyone says, "It is what it is," what I hear is, "Yeah, this is wrong and makes no sense, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it."

Ryan Elliott
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Whenever anyone says, "It is what it is," what I hear is, "Yeah, this is wrong and makes no sense, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it."

...just by using the word fuck open and unabashedly we're doing something about it.

Dark Sasha
09-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Wait, both f bombs took place in new york.

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Seth doesn't do it in character during a skit.

I like Will Forte, but that was painful.

But what did he say in that skit before he walked away? I deleted it off my DVR and it's driving me nuts!

usagi20
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
...just by using the word fuck open and unabashedly we're doing something about it.

Exactly. It ain't much, but it's better than rationalizing it with the mealy-mouthed "it is what it is."

Ben
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
...just by using the word fuck open and unabashedly we're doing something about it.I like using the first letter in the cuss word in place of it (e.g., "F off!") to try and turn regular letters into cuss words.

The Aaron!
09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
But what did he say in that skit before he walked away? I deleted it off my DVR and it's driving me nuts!

"No *bleep*ing way."

Ryan Elliott
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I like using the first letter in the cuss word in place of it (e.g., "F off!") to try and turn regular letters into cuss words.

That works too.

Bervda
09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the difference is Seth Meyers is doing the news, and the news anchors have always laughed at their own jokes. Fallon would do it in character, especially when he was with Horatio Sanz.

That's what drove me nuts, and why I hated him on SNL.

Gunter
09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Is there actual controversy? The only place I've seen it mentioned is this board, granted I've been watching the boys and football today, but Yahoo is talking about Megan Fox and her photoshopped nudes she showed during the monologue with only a mention to the incident.

The girl in the skit doesn't strike me as very funny....irritating, yes. The bit of the skit I saw...was terrible.

I've seen it mentioned on a couple of news sites.

And when did Bono turn into Joe Cocker?

Mylazycat
09-27-2009, 07:08 PM
"No *bleep*ing way."

That makes no sense and it's not funny. Yeah, that was a bad Digital Short. Thank goodness for the second one.

cmoney
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Isn't this like the fourth time this has happened? And Charles Rocket was the only one who was actually fired for it?

LenNWallace
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Isn't this like the fourth time this has happened? And Charles Rocket was the only one who was actually fired for it?

I'm not sure how much it had to do with Norm MacDonald leaving the show, but a couple weeks after he let one slip on Weekend Update, he left the show.

Pick The System!
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I find these song lyrics to be appropriate after reading this thread,

Only Entertainment by Bad Religion

Transfixated on the big blue screen
it's your window to the outside
a melancholy dream
a medium upon which you build reality
this episodic currency
that everybody needs
somebodies delivery lulls you to sleep
the man behind the weather map
the editor in chief
they control two worlds
power and disease
and you cannot suppress you curiosity
but see it's only entertainment
superficial urgency
posterboard mentality
only entertainment
tightly constrained
the buzz that remains
is the story of how we run our lives
many are the pople poor and suffering
from the lack of coverage
from the transmission beam
and if it ever gets there
you'll be offended too
'cause you cannot distinguish
chicanery from truth
see it's only entertainment
a superficial episode
as life continues to unfold
only entertainment
controlled and copied
they've planted the seed
that sprouts into your picture of the world
can't someone protect me (turn away, turn away)
from this electron beam?
hey you, mr. fcc
have you no advice for me?

King of Mars
09-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Whenever anyone says, "It is what it is," what I hear is, "Yeah, this is wrong and makes no sense, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it."Fight the fuckin' power, dude!

Greygor
09-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Hell Mock the Week wouldn't last 5 mins on American TV, Frankie Boyle alone would get them canned.

XXXenophile
09-28-2009, 03:57 AM
That makes no sense and it's not funny. Yeah, that was a bad Digital Short. Thank goodness for the second one.

It made perfect sense.

You were not supposed to see that reaction coming. You were being lead to believe him not being part of the swat event going on at the same time was going to come in and backfire on him.

Not just get up and walk away like that with that response.

Totally caught me by surprise.

And the TF digital short was definitely worth some laughter. LOL though when I saw BAG playing Bumblebee I went "Oh, they are still dating."

Foolish Mortal
09-28-2009, 04:55 AM
NBC isn't really talking about what happened, but it appears that Slate is not going to be fired.

dEnny!
09-28-2009, 05:36 AM

We all have our causes.

Prime
09-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Hell Mock the Week wouldn't last 5 mins on American TV, Frankie Boyle alone would get them canned.

He can be very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjUdka2ylJs

Martin J
09-28-2009, 06:18 AM
More Frankie Boyle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2G_01T-CHI) for what its worth Mock the Week is on at prime time (9pm) on the BBC2 so a major network which everyone has access to.

ManOfMiracles
09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
After hearing all the nonsense about this skets I finally just watched it, the girl saying "Fuck" really didn't bother me at all, but the question I have for the universe, and even though I am an aging un-hipster of 33 and might not "get it" anymore, is this what is really being passed off as comedy nowadays?
Was that really supposed to be funny?
What did I miss during that sketch that was supposed to be teh hilarious?

Alexander Hamilton
09-28-2009, 07:03 AM
People are still talking about this?

information
09-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Wow, really? I think any cast that includes Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader is going to be looked back on fondly.

Just wait, ten years from now, everyone will be bitching about how the new cast isn't as good as the cast from the Samberg era.

cmoney
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow, really? I think any cast that includes Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader is going to be looked back on fondly.

Just wait, ten years from now, everyone will be bitching about how the new cast isn't as good as the cast from the Samberg era.

That's pretty much how it works. But, y'know, Robert Downey Jr. was on SNL for a season, and no one looks back on that one fondly, so who knows? :)

Dan-C
09-28-2009, 08:49 AM

She's new - like 2 weeks new. She needs a little time to find her footing. Also, that's why she was at the end of the show.

Mylazycat
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM

The truth.

Zack_Hunter
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM

i'd add kienan to that and you only have 3 people bringing funny to the show.

bartleby
09-28-2009, 09:42 AM
i'd add kienan to that and you only have 3 people bringing funny to the show.

The fact that you think Kenan Thompson is one of the funny cast members basically destroys any credibility behind your argument.

dEnny!
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
She's new - like 2 weeks new. She needs a little time to find her footing. Also, that's why she was at the end of the show.

What else has she done? I doubt she's a complete unknown.

bartleby
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
What else has she done? I doubt she's a complete unknown.

UCB, where she really didn't have to worry about not saying "fuck" on stage.

dEnny!
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
The fact that you think Kenan Thompson is one of the funny cast members basically destroys any credibility behind your argument.

Agreed.

Generic Poster
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I fast forward through every Wiig sketch. Every one of her characters are horribly irritating.

Zack_Hunter
09-28-2009, 09:52 AM

:no:

He has his moments.

Dr. Chaos
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with Zack, actually.

I've always thought Kenan was pretty funny, even way back when he was doing sitcoms on Nickeloden. The digital shorts and Grady Wilson sketch last night were only the thing that probably came close to almost making me smile.

(almost)

Generic Poster
09-28-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree with Zack, actually.

I've always thought Kenan was pretty funny, even way back when he was doing sitcoms on Nickeloden. The digital shorts and Grady Wilson sketch last night were only the thing that probably came close to almost making me smile.

(almost)

Other than the Optimus Prime short, Kenan's "sex moves" skit was the only thing that came being close to funny.

Which isn't to say it was actually funny.

Dan-C
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I fast forward through every Wiig sketch. Every one of her characters are horribly irritating.

I actually thought the "Your mom talking to Megan Fox" sketch was pretty good.

Transformers digital short was only ok. Definitely not the funniest thing of the night.

Roman Noodles
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM

I love Kristen Wiig, I think she's one of the only bright spots in this cast.

Generic Poster
09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I love Kristen Wiig, I think she's one of the only bright spots in this cast.

Really? You think Target Lady, Nervous Travel Agent Lady, Lying Lady, & Movie Critic Lady are funny? Different strokes and all that, but my god, are they unfunny to me.

Gunter
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM

From what I've seen she plays every character almost the same. Same delivery, same mannerisms. Maybe a slight change here or there.

Roman Noodles
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Really? You think Target Lady, Nervous Travel Agent Lady, Lying Lady, & Movie Critic Lady are funny? Different strokes and all that, but my god, are they unfunny to me.

Now, I wouldn't go that far, I definitely wouldn't say all of her sketches are funny, they aren't, I meant solely on a talent basis she has done some sketches (not necessarily her OWN sketches) that had me dying.

She's usually funniest when she's NOT the focal point of a sketch.

Dan-C
09-28-2009, 10:39 AM

the nervous travel person/ just kidding thing has to be incredibly hard to say. So you have to give her credit for at least getting through all that. That being said, if you listen to what she actually said during this week's appearance, it was pretty funny.

And the chart she brought was great.

gaspar
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM

I couldn't agree with you more.

the nervous travel person/ just kidding thing has to be incredibly hard to say. So you have to give her credit for at least getting through all that. That being said, if you listen to what she actually said during this week's appearance, it was pretty funny.

And the chart she brought was great.

Being hard to say doesn't make something funny. Give her credit for being able to DO it? Sure. Is it funny? No. I also don't go to an auction house for laughs, but those people can talk fast too.

The chart could have been funny with someone else delivering it...as it was, she just pointed and delivered the same repetitive BS that she had been for several minutes...wasn't funny without the chart, wasn't funny with it.

Prime
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfNM-44u04

XXXenophile
09-29-2009, 04:52 AM

Lying Lady is not funny. That skit I always fast forward or change the channel.

The rest are fine. For some reason Gilly really cracks me up. But that's cause I'm waiting to see someone stand up to the kid and watch her destroy them.