PDA

View Full Version : Question to all Artists

Tommie Kelly
09-25-2009, 02:13 AM
If you have been hired to draw a comic and then after you have drawn the pages to the script spec, should you charge more if the writer changes his mind about something and you have to re-draw a page?

SKAtoons
09-25-2009, 04:49 AM
yes. corrections should always cost extra if you haven't deviated (spelling) from the script.

Tommie Kelly
09-25-2009, 05:14 AM
I agree, but just wanted to check

Tommie Kelly
09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Haha,

When I told him he'd have to pay for changes, suddenly the page is fantastic and exactly what he wanted.

SKAtoons
09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
hahahahaha

3'LL
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
From a recent experience, doing revisions on the arm is a tiptoe toward redrawing after the inks because the client "wants to see it from a different angle." :D

Tommie Kelly
09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Writers are dumb....

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I was just going to the same thing about you lot! =P Actually, I don't think artists are dumb I just think they're fucking mental. =)

Tim Simmons
09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Totally off topic, but Mary, I think you know a old friend of mine/ex-Roommate-- The other half of Dirty Diamond, who apparently calls himself DJ Sleezy now...course, I know him as Eric.

On topic: If it's a writer error (There are 5 BARBARIANS running up a hill!) when it's supposed to be (There are 5 LIBRARIANS running up a hill!)-- then yeah, corrections should be paid out. The writer should have his/her shit together enough that they've proofed their script.

That said, I think there are some level of tweeks and suggestions that can/should be modified for free. After all, both your names are going on it, don't you want to strive for it to be the best it can be? Obviously, you've got to put your foot down on a page one re-draw...

I used to work in Creative Advertising on the vendor side (hollywood movie stuff)-- there was a pretty funny video that went around that outlined the relationships between vendors and clients:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

It's funny, in the case of comics, I've seen both writers and artists acting on either side of that table.

09-26-2009, 05:52 AM
@Tim - yeah I do know Eric "Sleazy E" - have we met? I'm bummed I can't go to his going away party, but something else came up.

Anyway, that video was hilarious!

SKAtoons
09-26-2009, 06:40 AM
nothing worng with a slight change, i.e. this panel is wrong. but a total rework of a page....$$

Arion
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Haha,

When I told him he'd have to pay for changes, suddenly the page is fantastic and exactly what he wanted.

I think he learned his lesson.

dankiely
09-27-2009, 07:48 AM
didn't he see your roughs??

Tommie Kelly
09-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Yea, no it really was a change of mind thing.

First he told me he wanted this character to be like Harrison Ford fron Blade runner only with a helmet and then when he saw the image he said what he really meant was someone who looked more like Arnie.

Not in any way my fault.

3'LL
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I used to work in Creative Advertising on the vendor side (hollywood movie stuff)-- there was a pretty funny video that went around that outlined the relationships between vendors and clients:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

It's funny, in the case of comics, I've seen both writers and artists acting on either side of that table.

That is a great video.

3!LL

Arion
09-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Yea, no it really was a change of mind thing.

First he told me he wanted this character to be like Harrison Ford fron Blade runner only with a helmet and then when he saw the image he said what he really meant was someone who looked more like Arnie.

Not in any way my fault.

I guess next time you'll think twice before working with that guy.

M. Sean McManus
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Writers are dumb....Generalizations are dumb.

Ziggy
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Generalizations are dumb.

seriously, tommie. be specific.

sean mcmanus is dumb.

Tommie Kelly
09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I guess next time you'll think twice before working with that guy.

Nah, I'll work with him anytime, he has great ideas, the pay is good, he's just a bit green.

In other news:

Writers are dumb
Artists are moody assholes!:lol:

M. Sean McManus
09-29-2009, 02:53 AM
seriously tommie, ziggy is a DB.

Ziggy
09-29-2009, 05:51 AM
and sean is an MSM

Tommie Kelly
09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Oh you kids and your secret language...

Tim Simmons
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
@Tim - yeah I do know Eric "Sleazy E" - have we met? I'm bummed I can't go to his going away party, but something else came up.

Anyway, that video was hilarious!

K, seemed to take me forever to get back to this thread--

Anyhow, we probably haven't met-- I left Philly back in 2000 and moved out to San Diego, then to LA. I actually lost touch w/ Eric for a pretty long time-- and then through the magic of Myspace (yeah, when that was the rage)-- I ran across Dirty Diamond.
Funny enough, I had NO idea that was Hans as Dirty-- I've known Mike for more than-- shit, 10 years? Totally didn't recognize him with a head of hair.

Bummed that Eric is moving, which means I won't smell the chain smokin' son of a bitch on holiday trips home--

Speaking of which, you're in Philly, right? Might try to do a nerd drinkup around the holidays-- 'course, that could bottom out quick, since it's the horrordays.

10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Tim - not living in Filthy anymore but I still work there M-W and head down that way on the weekends whenever something awesome is happening (like this weekend we're going to an improv festival show). So if you schedule a drink-up please keep us updated!

The hair is a complete throw-off when it comes to Dirty D aka Mike!

10-02-2009, 09:24 AM

DB = Douche Bag
MSM = uh....M. Sean McManus? =)

SKAtoons
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
DB = Douche Bag
MSM = uh....M. Sean McManus? =)

i thought that DB was greater or equal to MSM, except when you are in terminal velocity then DB is less or equal to MSM....

hahahahhaa:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Arion
10-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Nah, I'll work with him anytime, he has great ideas, the pay is good, he's just a bit green.

In other news:

Writers are dumb
Artists are moody assholes!:lol:

Oh well, at least now you know how to handle him.

I'm sure he's never been an artist. I write and I draw a little. And since I have a lot of limitations when it comes to pencilling I have become more and more respectful regarding artists... Drawing it's a lot of work and sometimes, one peson looking from outside thinks it's easy. But it's not. If I had an artist working for me I would be completely supportive of his work.

mlpeters
10-04-2009, 03:10 PM
If you have been hired to draw a comic and then after you have drawn the pages to the script spec, should you charge more if the writer changes his mind about something and you have to re-draw a page?

It depends -- how much is the pay, meaning how much is the incentive to go along to get along? Do you agree with the writer's changes, or is it amateurish changes (not suggesting the writer IS an ammeter - -even old pros can be "amateur-ISH" on occasion) and apt to just the first of many? Is the rest of the book done, or would redrawing this one page possibly jeopardize momentum?

Is the pay coming from the writer, or a company?

M. Sean McManus
10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
and sean is an MSMholy crap YOU ARE A DB!!!! hahahahahaahahah--- ;)

Arion
10-05-2009, 06:52 PM

I must be old because I don't quite understand that language...

Tommie Kelly
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
It depends -- how much is the pay, meaning how much is the incentive to go along to get along? Do you agree with the writer's changes, or is it amateurish changes (not suggesting the writer IS an ammeter - -even old pros can be "amateur-ISH" on occasion) and apt to just the first of many? Is the rest of the book done, or would redrawing this one page possibly jeopardize momentum?

Is the pay coming from the writer, or a company?

The pay is good and coming from the writer. The writer is amateurish and changes his mind on the script as he goes along. I drew what was in the script, he changed the script after I was done. Had I not kicked up over this one I think it would have been the first of many "changes".

Arion
10-11-2009, 12:08 PM
The pay is good and coming from the writer. The writer is amateurish and changes his mind on the script as he goes along. I drew what was in the script, he changed the script after I was done. Had I not kicked up over this one I think it would have been the first of many "changes".

Now the writer knows he can have as many changes as he wants... provided he pays for each and every one of them.

Tommie Kelly
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Exactly

Arion
10-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Exactly

By the way, did I mention before that I really like your sig ?

Tommie Kelly
10-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks Man.

It came out well, me thinks. I wanted to do a T-shirt of it but the guys who do my merchandise felt it would be too much of a copyright risk.

Ah well :(

Arion
10-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks Man.

It came out well, me thinks. I wanted to do a T-shirt of it but the guys who do my merchandise felt it would be too much of a copyright risk.

Ah well :(

You're welcome.

Copyright problems? Some laws are just so complicated. If it is your work I don't see what the problem is.

Tommie Kelly
10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, you see it's based on a Jimi Hendrix Album cover, so that's the copyright problem

Arion
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, you see it's based on a Jimi Hendrix Album cover, so that's the copyright problem

Oh OK. I get it now .