PDA

View Full Version : Friends that go Insane Really Piss Me Off

Ryan Walsh
06-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not one for rants usually, I figure people usually have a lot better things to do than hear me bitch, but this just makes me want to cross a few borders and rip off a few heads.

I co-wrote and acted in a feature-length independant movie about two years ago. Whatever board we were on then, I even gave weekly updates on how production was going. It was fun and I was excited about it. As we wrapped and were getting into post-production, which I have jack to do with, the director meets some girl on the internet and goes slowly mad. It's one of those horror stories of internet romances you hear about, she sucks him in and he completely changes from the guy all of us used to know. He used to be fun, easy-going, and swore up and down that he wouldn't let business get in the way of his friendships.

Only two months ago, without any help from said director, the post-production is done and the movie finished. The guy who did all that thankless work is my roommate and was the director's best friend, and he did a good job of it, too. He's been making a few copies of it to give to the main cast and crew that've been waiting to see what we all worked so hard on. Today, he gets a message from the director saying that all the copies are his and we all need to send them to him immediately. It'd be one thing if he just wanted to give them to us himself, or if he wanted to just make a tweak here and there, and even a year ago I might've believed that, but I know KNOW he's going to just sit on the whole thing and not let anyone see it, and it's not going to be for any reason other than it gives him power over the rest of us.

fucker Fucker FUCKER!!!!!!!! :frustrat:

BriRedfern
06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Why in the world would you give it back him?

Dude ain't gonna' sue you. Shits expensive.

Taki Soma
06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
so don't send it to him.

you're not under contract, I hope?

and who footed the bill?

and also, threaten to sue his ass if he crosses you again, that's dumb.

Ray G.
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Exactly. Tell him to get a fucking lawyer. I dealt with this a few years ago, with a friend of mine who "collaborated" with me on a script. I wrote it and she played video games during our writing sessions. Out of nowhere she thrusts a contract in my face saying that she's entitled to 75% of profits or she'll get a lawyer and sieze ownership from me. I told her to try it. She never did.

Taki Soma
06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Exactly. Tell him to get a fucking lawyer. I dealt with this a few years ago, with a friend of mine who "collaborated" with me on a script. I wrote it and she played video games during our writing sessions. Out of nowhere she thrusts a contract in my face saying that she's entitled to 75% of profits or she'll get a lawyer and sieze ownership from me. I told her to try it. She never did.
damn, what a bitch. (sorry)

Ray G.
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
damn, what a bitch. (sorry)

No, I agree with you about that. But she's actually really cool most of the time. We're still friends, but when money's involved, she goes a little nuts. We've never worked together again, and things have been great. Besides, we were sort of incompatible creatively. I write teen superhero action-comedy, and she writes angsty supernatural erotica. How we thought we could combine them is beyond me. Oh, right. We were stupid Emo kids. :lol:

Ryan Walsh
06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
He's not getting my copy. There's no way he knows how many exists, he'll never know.
unless one of you squeals :scared:

One of the "quirks" he's grown since going mad is threatening legal action whenever he thinks someone does him wrong. He's not even smart about it, and the woman he's attached to is even worse. It's not that I'm worried he'll sue, it's that he'd pull this stunt in the first place. I lived with him for three yars, and knew him for three before that. The guy I knew would be appauled at this kind of behavior. It just makes me furious that he acts this way, doesn't even see how it goes against everything he used to be, and yet says WE'RE the ones who changed.

Thanks for hearing me out, peeps. I'm going to go cool off for a while.

Ryan Walsh
06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
No, I agree with you about that. But she's actually really cool most of the time. We're still friends, but when money's involved, she goes a little nuts. We've never worked together again, and things have been great. Besides, we were sort of incompatible creatively. I write teen superhero action-comedy, and she writes angsty supernatural erotica. How we thought we could combine them is beyond me. Oh, right. We were stupid Emo kids. :lol:

It's stuff like this that really turns me off the idea of friends working together on projects. It's supposed to be fun and enjoyable and earns a profit at the same time, but then you get into this situation. It's an ugly divorce, and the one hurt most is the offspring. I'm glad you still get along with her, though, that counts for something.

Ray G.
06-23-2005, 01:41 PM
It's stuff like this that really turns me off the idea of friends working together on projects. It's supposed to be fun and enjoyable and earns a profit at the same time, but then you get into this situation. It's an ugly divorce, and the one hurt most is the offspring. I'm glad you still get along with her, though, that counts for something.

The good thing is that the script we were working on was really, really bad. So there was honestly nothing to fight over.

How bad, you ask?

Leather-daddy werewolves. Don't look at me that way. I was 15 and it was my first script.