PDA

View Full Version : Dark Reign: The List - Avengers is OUT NOW! (Spoilers)

Spidey616
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Go Clint!

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/listavengersvariant.jpg

MARVEL COMICS FIRST LOOKS Dark Reign: The List -- Avengers (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/marvelfirsts.htm)

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/listavengers1.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/listavengers2.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/listavengers3.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/12/listavengers4.jpg

Jef UK
08-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I thought the symbiote protected the host while sleeping.

Mr. Dave
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow

Howlett
08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
That is some gorgeous artwork.

Ben
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought the symbiote protected the host while sleeping.Doesn't the symbiote get to sleep?

Zack_Hunter
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Holy crap! But doesn't the news of new avengers annual #3 kind of spoil the end of this?

panco
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
The art is stunning. I so wish there was wordballoons.

Gordon Chumway
08-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Holy crap! But doesn't the news of new avengers annual #3 kind of spoil the end of this?

Where would I read this news?

Superior Kiai
08-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Why isn't anyone offering Djurdjevic a monthly??? They are wasting him on covers!! Great covers, but civers nonetheless...

nick maynard
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
wait, is that djurdjevic? that looks totally different than his normal stuff. not just style wise, but story telling wise too. looks good though!

dj127
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
pretty!

Lord Jermaine Retail
08-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Here's what it looks like to me.

It looks like Osborn is fed up with everybody and is about to get real. Even his Cabal members are on his radar. And maybe Ares is warning him to not bite off more than he can deal with. Warning unheeded naturally.

And it looks like Clint is arguing and then decides to take action alone, the team thinking that he was just venting. Like I said elsewhere, I think that Clint would take the hit for the team and try to take Osborn out himself, then turn himself in to the authorities immediately. He's not turning into the Punisher. Osborn's gotta come outta there and Clint is willing to take the hit for the team to do it. Just this one time because its the only way.

But then I have a vivid imagination and could be very wrong.

rogerio
08-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Great artwork.;-)

Zack_Hunter
08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Where would I read this news?

The girls go on a rescue mission because Clint and Luke are missing.

So this leads me to believe:

This ends with clint getting captured by osborn after a huge battle. I really think his assistant is going to be caught in the crossfire.

costello
08-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Wow. If a well respected government official is killed by a super hero (even though we know Osborn is a douche), this could ruin everything for super heroes everywhere. This could be worse than Civil War.

Lord Jermaine Retail
08-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow. If a well respected government official is killed by a super hero (even though we know Osborn is a douche), this could ruin everything for super heroes everywhere. This could be worse than Civil War.

While not immortal or invincible, Osborn is extremely strong and difficult to kill. It can be done, but I don't think any characters other than maybe Spider-man really know how strong he is. That guy can and has killed with his bare hands. I figure most characters, including the Dark Avengers, think that he's some guy who is easy pickings without his armor and the Sentry backing him. I've been hoping to see a real battle between unarmored Osborn and someone else.

Marvelprince
08-13-2009, 06:32 PM

It looks like Osborn is fed up with everybody and is about to get real. Even his Cabal members are on his radar. And maybe Ares is warning him to not bite off more than he can deal with. Warning unheeded naturally.

And it looks like Clint is arguing and then decides to take action alone, the team thinking that he was just venting. Like I said elsewhere, I think that Clint would take the hit for the team and try to take Osborn out himself, then turn himself in to the authorities immediately. He's not turning into the Punisher. Osborn's gotta come outta there and Clint is willing to take the hit for the team to do it. Just this one time because its the only way.

But how could something wrong sound sooo right?

totalsellout
08-13-2009, 08:37 PM

sounds about right to me.

WhindamPryce
08-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Somehow I think Clint et al will just end up fucking things up even more. Should be fun to see! :)

Gangy
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Somehow I think Clint et al will just end up fucking things up even more. Should be fun to see! :)

In the coolest/nerdiest moment of my life Bendis answered my question in the pages of Wizard regarding Clint's future. He did say that in his opinion Clint's "finest" moment occurs in this issue. So it doesn't sound like a fuck up.....but maybeeeeee. Anyways, Thanks BENDIS! If only you could see the pride (faked?) in my girlfriend's eyes as I showed her my question in print.

antithesis
08-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I can't wait for this either. Ever since Osborn said that Luke Cage made the list..

Dave Wallace
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
A lettered preview: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/125197958021142.htm

panco
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
A lettered preview: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/125197958021142.htm

Wow this gives away some major spoiler on the end of the Dark Avengers / X-men story...

Jef UK
09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Why isn't anyone offering Djurdjevic a monthly??? They are wasting him on covers!! Great covers, but civers nonetheless...

That's not how that works.

HOOKS
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I should look up at the stickied topics more, ha ha.

Pat Loika
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Mark Morales inked this, didn't he?

He really knows how to bring out the best in the guys he works on.

P.

Superior Kiai
09-03-2009, 07:16 PM
That's not how that works.

How does it work then?

Pat Loika
09-03-2009, 07:18 PM
How does it work then?

He's not a monthly guy. He's more of a cover guy. He does the rare single issue or two-parter here and there, but he's not someone who's into the monthly grind.

That, and he makes more money on covers.

P.

Spidey616
09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Same lettered preview on the CBR format

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=3332&disp=table

Things don't look well for Luke Cage in the current NA arc according to the preview

augie680
09-03-2009, 08:18 PM
MAN, is Marko awesome or what?

His style in that is completely different from his cover style, AND completely different from his style on Thor.

I'd love to see more interior work, as he absolutely kills it, no matter what style he uses.

PS: Cannot wait for this whole LIST gimmick.

Gordon Chumway
09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I really like the way everything is going. I hope they extend this out as far as possible. Reading a comic of the x-men living in a concentration camp seems like a very good read to me, that has never been done before (outside of days of future past).

BronxRonin
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
oh look the avengers all in a room talking!
lol...sorry i had to joke about it again.

SuperStick
09-04-2009, 05:30 AM
I really like the way everything is going. I hope they extend this out as far as possible. Reading a comic of the x-men living in a concentration camp seems like a very good read to me, that has never been done before (outside of days of future past).

They're not.
Scott and his team used some technology to raise an island that is now FLOATING over San Francisco. It's his way of basically going "ha ha ha! you can't get me, Osborn!"

Besides, it worked for Thor a few years ago, right?

Ultimate Lurker
09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
They're not.
Scott and his team used some technology to raise an island that is now FLOATING over San Francisco. It's his way of basically going "ha ha ha! you can't get me, Osborn!"

Besides, it worked for Thor a few years ago, right?

I thought it was out in the ocean.

OzMan
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I wish I could see this, but my work blocked the link. Anybody know any ways around internet filters? :no:

Matt Jay
09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
I can't wait for this either. Ever since Osborn said that Luke Cage made the list..

I just read that issue. I found myself really conflicted about Cage's actions. I still don't know if I like what he did, but that's what makes the writing so great. I'm more conflicted over that than the entirety of Civil War.

Cth
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Sounds about right.. Clint's turned himself in before after doing what's right (ala Thunderbolts)

Of course, it'll probably speed Norman's plans up.. thanks Clint!

The girls go on a rescue mission because Clint and Luke are missing.

So this leads me to believe:

This ends with clint getting captured by osborn after a huge battle. I really think his assistant is going to be caught in the crossfire.

There's also that Thunderbolts cover to consider.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1245451786.jpg

Dave Wallace
09-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's an advance review: http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/125241319683094.htm

Supreme Convoy
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
What a great issue! It's weird seeing Djurdjevic's art without his digital paints. It still looks great!

I love this issue... can't wait to check out the other Dark Reign: The List one-shots.

Dude Pal
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Fun read! Wasn't what I expected going in, but was really cool nonetheless. Great job Bendis! The art was beautiful and I'm stoked for the Daredevil and Spidey one-shots.

HoldyourfireAl
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Hmmmm....LOVE Bendis, but I do not agree with this portrayal of Clint Barton at all. Sorry.

Supreme Convoy
09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah... Bucky killed Hitler?

Now I want to read more about that.

Made It Ma!
09-11-2009, 05:27 AM

Yeah that line didn't work for me. By the time Bucky was thawed out by Russia...Hitler was quite dead. Or if you're going with the Marvel Universe's version of Hitler he was killed in a fight with the Fantastic Four and Nick Fury when he was dressing up as the Hate Monger (bizarre story by the way) or trapped in the Cosmic Cube by the Red Skull depending on which story you choose to accept as continuity.

It was a throw away line from Bendis that read more like something Millar would write because it sounds cool. But it doesn't actually make any sense at all. For some reason that moment bothered me.

WhindamPryce
09-11-2009, 11:18 PM
"It's Venom! Venmom tried to escape!".

:rofl:

costello
09-12-2009, 04:38 AM
This was exactly what I imagined it would be like after reading the preview. All that means is I'll stay away from that stuff for now on.

I guess the book did what it was supposed to do. I didn't feel fulfilled after reading it but instead wanted more; in that case it was an excellent introduction to the limited series.

The book did get me thinking. If Norman is assassinated, all hell will break loose--and the fallout would probably be worse than what happened in Stamford. Yeah, it sucks that a school bus of kids died at the start of Civil War, but if a political official died at the hands of a superhero, could you imagine how the government would react?

I actually hope this is what happens, because it'd be a hell of an interesting conflict to see the heros get out of.

Lord Jermaine Retail
09-12-2009, 05:05 AM
Yeah that line didn't work for me. By the time Bucky was thawed out by Russia...Hitler was quite dead. Or if you're going with the Marvel Universe's version of Hitler he was killed in a fight with the Fantastic Four and Nick Fury when he was dressing up as the Hate Monger (bizarre story by the way) or trapped in the Cosmic Cube by the Red Skull depending on which story you choose to accept as continuity.

It was a throw away line from Bendis that read more like something Millar would write because it sounds cool. But it doesn't actually make any sense at all. For some reason that moment bothered me.

I thought the original Human Torch killed Hitler to end WWII in the Marvel universe.

Maybe what Bucky said is something we haven't seen yet...

Lord Jermaine Retail
09-12-2009, 05:08 AM
This was exactly what I imagined it would be like after reading the preview. All that means is I'll stay away from that stuff for now on.

I guess the book did what it was supposed to do. I didn't feel fulfilled after reading it but instead wanted more; in that case it was an excellent introduction to the limited series.

The book did get me thinking. If Norman is assassinated, all hell will break loose--and the fallout would probably be worse than what happened in Stamford. Yeah, it sucks that a school bus of kids died at the start of Civil War, but if a political official died at the hands of a superhero, could you imagine how the government would react?

I actually hope this is what happens, because it'd be a hell of an interesting conflict to see the heros get out of.

Interesting, but for some reason I thought I heard that the Marvel universe would kind of brighten up in overall theme after Dark Reign not spiral down further in climate. I think its time. Not saying I don't want conflict, but the Marvel universe has just been a difficult place to live in for a very long time.

Gangy
09-12-2009, 06:04 AM
This was basically my dream comic. Who wouldn't want to see their all-time favorite character go on a one man rampage against the current biggest baddies in the Marvel U. I also happen to think the characterization was spot on. After you lose your wife, your best friend, die yourself a couple of times, and have the world see you as a villain; you probably can't continue to be just the wise-cracking carnie that everyone knew and loved. Not to say that I think he's a complete departure from the Clint Barton of the past either, just that he's really trying to do the right thing, but in the most bone-headed way possible. The art was pretty awesome. I'm just mad at myself for looking at the preview, it definitely spoiled a lot. VERY excited for the upcoming annual.

Lineofdeath2
09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm just sad about the ending.

panco
09-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Well that's how you do a good cliffhanger.
The way they end Lost seasons and that kind of stuff.

I know I'm overreacting but I was this close to shitting my pants. I need the next issue very fast.

Brother Power the Gong
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM

I wonder if that's an untold tale of the Winter Soldier. That exchange was pretty damn odd.

CylverSaber
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
My review:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42376#1

Will
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
As much as I liked the book, Clint seemed very much out of character.

I can sort of buy into the idea that his life has been messed up a lot as of late and that he's going to handle stuff differently from say Spider-Man but it still rings false to see Clint attempt an assassination on Norman Osborn. I was also baffled as to what Bucky was referring to with regards to Hitler.

I was under the impression that the Human Torch was the person behind that but if Brian is going to reference something that obscure I think that should have been presented in a clearer fashion or at least elaborated upon. But otherwise it sounds too vague, strange, and to a degree erroneous.

I've also noticed that the smaller the cast of characters the greater amount of characterization Brian will put into the group since every time there's more than 6 or 7 members someone undoubtedly suffers from relevant characterization or character development like Iron Fist, Echo, and for a while Mockingbird until recently. Glad to see Cap receive more characterization as well since he tends to be more muted than the other cast members. The art was pretty good though, it was nice to see Clint as Ronin use stealth and weapons more befitting the costume, and this book adequately kicks off the List special event.

7.5/10

nick maynard
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
couldn't have loved this more.

i didn't realize there were previews in the back of this and so i was really surprised when i hit the last page. i just thought that there was more story left. no big deal though.

but yeah, i LOVED this. i'd like it more if hawkeye wasn't out to KILL him. but it doesnt rub me the wrong way like it is with some other people. the art was amazing. couldn't have liked it more.