PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Kotick(head of Activison) wants game prices even higher.

noble
08-06-2009, 06:12 AM
You think the guitar hero/dj hero games are expensive now?

Just you wait :

In the Q&A part of the Acti Blizz earnings call, Bobby Kotick said he’d like to see game prices raised even further.

Michael J. Griffith:

And then on the second question, Tony, on the pricing, we’ve had for all of our launch titles in the back half of this year, some of which contain peripherals, as you point out, very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including our merchandising plans, our marketing programs, and our price points.

Robert A. Kotick :

And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.

Bervda
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Fuck Activision. I'm through giving them any of my money. I was looking forward to the new Ultimate Alliance, but it looks like I'll be buying it used.

ever_seeking
08-06-2009, 06:31 AM
We all have our wants on things, some we get, some we don't.

Sadly, I could see him getting his.

By the way, what are the prices of those hero games?

mike black
08-06-2009, 06:32 AM
And people hate EA...

noble
08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
We all have our wants on things, some we get, some we don't.

Sadly, I could see him getting his.

By the way, what are the prices of those hero games?

If you just get the game alone, then it's the standard $59.99.

With a guitar controller it's $99.99

With a full band set up(meaning guitar, drums, and mic), it's $199.99

The DJ hero game which comes with one turntable controller is $149.99.

It's getting stupid now.

I mean prices stayed at $49.99 for a new game since the Atari 2600 days.

Now they want to raise prices twice in one generation.

Oi.

ever_seeking
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Did he give any clue what price points he'd like?

noble
08-06-2009, 06:35 AM
And people hate EA...

Activision has long since taken over as the 'evil empire'.

EA has been doing wonders with new properties, luring in heavy weight developers and studios.

So EA has been doing pretty good for themselves despite a few misteps the past few months(the MMA thing, and the fake controversy they staged against Dante's Inferno).

TheKraken
08-06-2009, 06:36 AM
It reads like a joke to anyone who doesn't have a weird hard-on for Bobby Kotick...

My goodness, a business man who wishes he could charge more for his products, what a bombshell.

And DJ Hero is $119.99.

ever_seeking
08-06-2009, 06:38 AM
That's true, nothing new there.

But his challenge is to not raise them too high.

Curious, for the gamers, what price points are where you step away?

Is there such a thing for you?

TheKraken
08-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Did he give any clue what price points he'd like?

This is the full text of that part of the Q&A:

Operator

(Operator Instructions) And our first question will come from Tony Gikas.

Tony Gikas - Piper Jaffray

As it relates to shifting Starcraft into 2010, does that mean that we will get two key Blizzard releases next year? And a second question, if you don’t mind, just your comfort level regarding pricing of some of your new games that have some expensive controllers and any feedback that you had from retail as we move through the holidays. Thanks, guys.

Michael Morhaime

While we have not announced the release dates of any of the titles, I will confirm that the move of Starcraft into 2010 does not affect the release schedules of any of our other games.

Michael J. Griffith

And then on the second question, Tony, on the pricing, we’ve had for all of our launch titles in the back half of this year, some of which contain peripherals, as you point out, very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including our merchandising plans, our marketing programs, and our price points.

Robert A. Kotick

And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.

Then everyone laughed and they moved on to the next question.

evophile
08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
It reads like a joke to anyone who doesn't have a weird hard-on for Bobby Kotick...

My goodness, a business man who wishes he could charge more for his products, what a bombshell.

And DJ Hero is $119.99.

Also the DJ Hero Renegade edition is $199.99

They've already done the price hike to Modern Warfare 2 in the UK, up to £54.99 from £49.99.

And I'm not saying he's not allowed to want to charge more for his stuff, but this is the same guy who recently told Sony to lower their prices.

noble
08-06-2009, 06:57 AM

And DJ Hero is $119.99.

Ah my bad. I thought it was $149.99.

Must have been thinking of the special edition(but it was $199.99).

Do I have a weird hard on for Kotick?

not really.

Do I hate the damage he's done to this industry by running franchises into the ground (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call of Duty), and the debacle with Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend?

You damn right.

Cth
08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
And I just bought an Activision shirt last week :lol:

But yeah, everybody wants to raise prices, the market won't take it, but he'd like to :D

He'll have to settle for DLC :)

TheKraken
08-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Ah my bad. I thought it was $149.99.

Must have been thinking of the special edition(but it was $199.99).

Do I have a weird hard on for Kotick?

not really.

Do I hate the damage he's done to this industry by running franchises into the ground (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Call of Duty), and the debacle with Ghostbusters, and Brutal Legend?

You damn right.

/shrug I only read this stuff for the Blizzard news, myself. But I think taking what was clearly meant to be a joke and presenting it as a grim harbinger of things to come (and I know it wasn't just you phrasing it that way) is pretty disingenuous.

snuffy
08-06-2009, 07:08 AM
And I just bought an Activision shirt last week :lol:

But yeah, everybody wants to raise prices, the market won't take it, but he'd like to :D

He'll have to settle for DLC :)

Tell that to the Guitar Hero: World Tour people.....:lol:

noble
08-06-2009, 07:15 AM
/shrug I only read this stuff for the Blizzard news, myself. But I think taking what was clearly meant to be a joke and presenting it as a grim harbinger of things to come (and I know it wasn't just you phrasing it that way) is pretty disingenuous.

Do you honestly think it was a joke?

You don't think he wouldn't raise prices if he could get away with it?

Some people might have read it as him telling a joke, to me it read like the Tony Soprano scene where everyone laughs at the boss because they have to ;)

TheKraken
08-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Do you honestly think it was a joke?

You don't think he wouldn't raise prices if he could get away with it?

Some people might have read it as him telling a joke, to me it read like the Tony Soprano scene where everyone laughs at the boss because they have to ;)

Of course he would raise prices if he could. He's a businessman. That doesn't mean he's going to, or that he thinks he could get away with it, or that he thinks the market would support it. Yes, it was a one-liner after some one else's serious answer and I took it as such.

John Drake
08-06-2009, 07:22 AM
I haven't bought a single $60 game. I wait until they're $50 or lower, so I would be buying less games if this happened.

Humphrey_Lee
08-06-2009, 08:16 AM
And people hate EA...

Actually, I don't so much anymore. They've really chilled out over the past year or so. Sure, they crank out sequels like no tomorrow, but they've bothered to start putting out new IPs, they haven't really thrown weight around since the Take 2 incident, and they're a company that's really good about dropping their prices on games within a couple months of release to try and get some money out of them. Their new President has really chilled them out methinks.

Kotick, on the other hand, is a complete fuck. I had to laugh at how pathetic his posturing attempts at pushing Sony around were over the price drop, and his little comments like this aren't going to help him any either. I can't wait to see the backlash that happens if they start charging for CoD Online access like they've hinted at (even if it is some sort of "premium" membership).

Humphrey_Lee
08-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh, and to go with this loveliness: Tony Hawk Ride priced at 100 pounds ($170 US) for UK relase in November. Game prices skew higher in Europe, but I'd still figure this means a $150 price tag come US release time. So laughable...

http://kotaku.com/5331336/tony-hawk-ride-dated-priced-for-the-uk

Kirblar
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
OMG SOMEONE WANTS TO MAKE MORE MONEY THEY MUST BE A BAD PERSON.

:rolleyes: