PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista or Windows 7?

cPol
07-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I realize Windows 7 isn't publically available yet, but there's always someone out there with non-publically-available info. So, question:

I bought a new PC over the weekend and am offered a free upgrade from Vista to 7. I use Vista lightly at work and have never had any problems with it. My wife uses it at home and so far, no complaints from either of us. Is it worth it to upgrade?

Foolish Mortal
07-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm no Windows expert, but from what I hear from Leo LaPorte and others, you should just go straight to Windows 7.

simon trent
07-27-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm still on XP and am waiting to buy a new computer when Windows 7 is released. A friend of mine loves Vista, but I'm just assuming 7 is going to be even better.

Hochler
07-27-2009, 06:28 AM
7 is a huge improvement over Vista. Microsoft always saves the good stuff in case they bomb. First was 2000 after ME, now 7 after Vista.

Jason California
07-27-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm still on XP and am waiting to buy a new computer when Windows 7 is released. A friend of mine loves Vista, but I'm just assuming 7 is going to be even better.

You can star looking now. Many Vista machines are going to qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

mike black
07-27-2009, 06:58 AM

All Dell PC's bought after the 15th of last month will be given a free update to Windows 7. I would imagine all of the major manufacturers are doing the same.

I realize Windows 7 isn't publicly available yet, but there's always someone out there with non-publicly-available info. So, question:

The RC is still available - completely free and completely legit and legal. It will not run out until June of next year, at which point you can purchase the retail version.

In addition, you can pre-order the OS right now from MS.

Anyway, Vista is solid, but Windows 7 is all that much more. You most likely won't notice it off the bat, but the major thing is that it's exceptionally faster than Vista is.

Gene Reginato
07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I've been using Win7 for months already.
It's great. As I'm on a Release candidates, there are a few bugs, but here are the sweet stuff:
In my PC, Vista used 1.2GB of RAM with no apps open; Win7 uses 700MB.
The superbar is fun and easy to use.
Driver support is improved, now you just connect the device and it installs the driver automatically, or worst case scenario, opens the manufacter website so you can download it yourself. Every new device have worked so far.

Hate_Prime
07-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't used it yet, but you have people who don't even like Microsoft giving props to Windows 7. While windows users like me refuses to go from XP to Vista.

Taxman
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Vista is terrible. All sorts of problems turned up one I started using it. I would avoid it if at all possible.

Thomas Mauer
07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm happy with Vista Ultimate but will upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released. Need to build a new computer next year anyway.

So, skip Vista on the new computer if you can.

cPol
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
So, skip Vista on the new computer if you can.

Well, it came with Vista preinstalled, so not much I can do there. But, I guess I'll be upgrading to 7 as soon as I'm able to in October.

Thanks for all the input, fellas!

mike black
07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, it came with Vista preinstalled, so not much I can do there. But, I guess I'll be upgrading to 7 as soon as I'm able to in October.

Thanks for all the input, fellas!

Like we said, you can upgrade to it now. ;)

cPol
07-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Like we said, you can upgrade to it now. ;)

Right, with the RC Beta. But I believe that voids my warranty since it's not the official release. I can wait the 3 months.

Dreaded Anomaly
07-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I plan to upgrade from Vista to 7 as soon as is feasible.