PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular names linked to juvenile delinquency

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Makes sense. Kids that get teased alot do tend to be angry, unhappy kids and that could lead to them acting out.

Oh well. Probably worth it for the joy parents recieve by screwing a kid over with a special name.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/01/whats-in-a-name.html

Researchers looked at names given to boys born in one state from 1987 through 1991. They devised a popularity name index, with the most popular name having a PNI of 100, and extremely unpopular names a PNI of 1. Michael, for example, the most popular name during those years, has a PNI of 100, while names such as Alec, Ernest, Ivan, Kareem, Malcolm, Preston and Tyrell have a PNI of about 1. None of the names was associated with where the boys were born, their last name, family situation, or the demographics of their parents.

They also obtained names of men in the state's juvenile justice system from 1997 to 2005, noting their first and last names, date of birth, sex, race and family living arrangements. Half the names in the entire population of the state had a PNI of more than 20, but half the juvenile delinquents had a PNI of more than 11, leading researchers to conclude that compared with the general population, a greater percentage of juvenile delinquents had unpopular names. The study appears in the March issue of Social Science Quarterly.

But they stop short of suggesting a direct cause and effect between having an odd name and being a crook. Family dynamics and socioeconomic status could come into play, such as coming from an abusive home, income, healthcare, child care and education.

That's because other studies have shown that those with unpopular names may have a higher likelihood of being disadvantaged — having poor parents, for example. Another study suggested that mothers who are less educated are more likely than better educated women to give their children unusual names.

That last part is interesting too.

Dave S.
07-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Fucking Hunters and Blakes robbing all our convenience stores.

Ashwin Pande
07-17-2009, 05:06 AM
I dislike the dumb 'unique' names parents give to kids these days.

At least in India. Everyone's trying to find ancient sanskrit words to name their kids with and most of them are either really hard to pronounce or just sound stupid. I have a nephew whose name is "Arawanara" I have no idea what that means but I feel like an idiot every time I have to say it out loud.

RebootedCorpse
07-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Austin, Dallas, Hunter and Jaylyn are names that seem to show up in court a lot around here.

HeroBoy
07-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Hence my plan to name my son Hugh G. Cox will never not backfire.

Wait, what?

Dave S.
07-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Makes sense. Kids that get teased alot do tend to be angry, unhappy kids and that could lead to them acting out.

Oh well. Probably worth it for the joy parents recieve by screwing a kid over with a special name.

Yeah, I think the last part makes pretty clear that there is a bit of a racial aspect going on here, though they don't want to say it.

The Alec's aren't the ones in Juvie, it's the Tyrell's. This isn't a cause and effect thing. This is 'Black people give unique names, and black people are more likely to end up in the system'. My favorite name I saw on a kid (I get to know about 1000 kids a week at work, so I see a lot of names) was LeMongello. And his brother, I kid you not, was Orangello. (Lemon jello and Orange jello)

adam_warlock_2099
07-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Austin, Dallas, Hunter and Jaylyn are names that seem to show up in court a lot around here.

Is it ironic or concidence that three out of four of those names are also cities/towns in Texas?

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I think the last part makes pretty clear that there is a bit of a racial aspect going on here, though they don't want to say it.

Believe it or not there are millions of poor, undereducated white people in the US too. I don't see anything racial about this personally.

You think ridiculous names are uncommon among white trash?

Foolish Mortal
07-17-2009, 06:13 AM
They should probably avoid 'Wayne' as a middle name.

RebootedCorpse
07-17-2009, 06:14 AM
They should probably avoid 'Wayne' as a middle name.

Or Adolf.

adam_warlock_2099
07-17-2009, 06:18 AM
"You took all our tough names like Lance and Julian. Now there just . . ."
"Queer?"

Foolish Mortal
07-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Or Adolf.

:lol:

Seriously, News of the Weird has done a running series of stories of criminals with the middle name Wayne. It's very bizarre how that particular middle name continually pops up

Garth
07-17-2009, 06:22 AM
I will make everyone pay!!!!!

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 06:28 AM
:lol:

Seriously, News of the Weird has done a running series of stories of criminals with the middle name Wayne. It's very bizarre how that particular middle name continually pops up

I heard something about that on NPR a few weeks ago, it is weird.

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 06:34 AM
The theory is that kids who are picked on are more likely to develop social problems and eventually act out.

I know alot of parents who are proud of the unique name they gave their kid and for some reason they think the kid will be a better person for it. Take pride in not being one of several Sams or Johns.

Instead what they might be doing is giving the kid a reason to be picked on early in life, and often.

Ben
07-17-2009, 06:37 AM
The theory is that kids who are picked on are more likely to develop social problems and eventually act out.

I know alot of parents who are proud of the unique name they gave their kid and for some reason they think the kid will be a better person for it. Take pride in not being one of several Sams or Johns.

Instead what they might be doing is giving the kid a reason to be picked on early in life, and often.Yeah, too many parents treat their kids like a canvas to paint their masterpiece on. Just give the kid a normal name like Matt or Sally. If you want to give something a crazy name, that's what pets are for.

Foolish Mortal
07-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, too many parents treat their kids like a canvas to paint their masterpiece on. Just give the kid a normal name like Matt or Sally. If you want to give something a crazy name, that's what pets are for.
I agree. Don't use your kid's name to make a statement.

Jason California
07-17-2009, 06:44 AM

Freakanomics talks about how poor undereducated people are the most likely to use unique spellings of names for their children.

PatrickA
07-17-2009, 06:48 AM
My favorite name I saw on a kid (I get to know about 1000 kids a week at work, so I see a lot of names) was LeMongello. And his brother, I kid you not, was Orangello. (Lemon jello and Orange jello)

I have heard this story from about five different people from all over the country.

Foolish Mortal
07-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Freakanomics talks about how poor undereducated people are the most likely to use unique spellings of names for their children.
Specifically because they want their kids to stand out and appear special. There is a stigma that having an "average" name will hold them back.

Patrick King
07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I notice a lot of odd/oddly-spelled names on the backs of rich lookings SUVs. I've seen stuff like Teighlor, Keighlah, Rylan, etc... My dad also told me how he saw a little kid being chased by the kid's mom as she said "Angus, get back here!"

Blake Sims
07-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Fucking Hunters and Blakes robbing all our convenience stores.

:sad:

Andreas
07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Is naming your kids after long-dead American presidents save?

Andreas

adam_warlock_2099
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I notice a lot of odd/oddly-spelled names on the backs of rich lookings SUVs. I've seen stuff like Teighlor, Keighlah, Rylan, etc... My dad also told me how he saw a little kid being chased by the kid's mom as she said "Angus, get back here!"

That's because they think their child is special.

Taxman
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Unpopular names linked to juvenile delinquencyWhat about guys with misspelled names, Thud?

gear
07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
In my line of work, I've come across Eramthgin ( Nightmare spelled backward ), Placentio, and Ladasha ( spelled La-a, the dash being part of the spelling ). These are just off the top of my head. Oh, and Richard Cox!!!!

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
What about guys with misspelled names, Thud?

Maybe. Not sure if that's something kids would pick on each other for.

RebootedCorpse
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
:sad:

Stay away from the 7-11, you!

WinterRose
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
So... by this logic, Roxy Crimefighter Jillette and Kal-El Cage are going to be the most dangerous criminals in the world?

Oh... and here:

And i'm getting really sick of guys named Todd. "It's a good fucking name OK. Hi whats your name? Todd. I'm Todd. And this is Blake, and Blaire and Blaine and Brent." Where all these goofy fucking boys names comin' from. Taylor, Tyler, Jordan, Flynn. THESE ARE NOT REAL NAMES!

You wanna hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name. What happened to Eddie? He was here a minute ago. Jackie and Johnny and Tommy and Bill. Danny, Larry, Johnny, and Phil. What happened?

Todd.

And Cody, and Dillon, and Cameron, and Tucker. "Hi Tucker, I'm Todd. Hi Todd, I'm Tucker." Fuck Tucker, Tucker sucks. And fuck Tucker's friend Kyle. Thats another soft name for a boy. Kyle.

Soft names make soft people. I'll bet you ten times out of ten, Nicky, Vinnie, and Tony would beat the shit out of Todd, Kyle, and Tucker.

-Guys named Todd, by George Carlin
(RIP, my brother. That's rest in pieces. They shoulda blown you up like you wanted.)

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
So... by this logic, Roxy Crimefighter Jillette and Kal-El Cage are going to be the most dangerous criminals in the world?

If not for their rich parents yes. Oh yes.

Any kid with those names who went to a normal school can look forward to many, many wedgies.

The horror. :scared:

Ray G.
07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I warned my friend from high school that naming his son Damien Lucifer would end badly. Thank God his wife was smart enough to get everyone calling the kid DL early, so now everyone just thinks they're huge "The Hughleys" fans.

I'm printing this article to help talk him out of naming his first daughter Lilith Morrigan like he plans. Why is it that the ones who never grow up are the ones who seem to breed first? :nonono2:

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I warned my friend from high school that naming his son Damien Lucifer would end badly. Thank God his wife was smart enough to get everyone calling the kid DL early, so now everyone just thinks they're huge "The Hughleys" fans.

I'm printing this article to help talk him out of naming his first daughter Lilith Morrigan like he plans. Why is it that the ones who never grow up are the ones who seem to breed first? :nonono2:

Unless the names have some kind of meaningful religious significance to your friend (as in he worships Lucifer) that's one of the more disgusting things I've heard a parent do to his kids.

Your friend may think the shock value is entertaining but those kids are going to grow up hating him. Seriously.

Ray G.
07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Unless the names have some kind of meaningful religious significance to your friend (as in he worships Lucifer) that's one of the more disgusting things I've heard a parent do to his kids.

Your friend may think the shock value is entertaining but those kids are going to grow up hating him. Seriously.

He "worships" Lucifer in the sense that posers do. He thinks it's cool in the way that 9th graders do.

I told him as much, but I think we've all got that one friend who's a fucking moron.

Mylazycat
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
For fun, I went through the all time top 20 leaders in homeruns in the MLB, points in the NHL and rushing toachdowns in the NFL. Most are fasirly common names.

Here they are:

Top 20 all time MLB homerun leaders:

Barry
Hank
Babe
Willie
Ken
Sammy
Frank
Mark
Harmon
Alex
Rafael
Reggie
Jim
Mike
Mickey
Manny
Jimmie
Willie
Frank
Ted

Top 20 All Time NHL scorers:

Wayne
Mark
Gordie
Ron
Marcel
Steve
Mario
Joe (!)
Jaromir
Phil
Ray
Paul
Stan
Mark
Bryan
Adam
Doug
Dale
Jari
Luc

NFL All Time Touchdown leaders:

Jerry
Emmitt
Marcus
Terrell
Ladainan
Randy
Marshall
Cris
Marvin
Jim
Walter
John (!)
Lenny
Shaun
Barry
Don
Tim
Steve
Franco
Curtis

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 04:47 PM
He "worships" Lucifer in the sense that posers do. He thinks it's cool in the way that 9th graders do.

I told him as much, but I think we've all got that one friend who's a fucking moron.

No, none of my friends are even close to that level of moron. Sorry. :)

Taxman
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe. Not sure if that's something kids would pick on each other for.I forgot, you don't watch any sports. You may not have seen Andruw, Marvcus or Sean spelled Shawon and Chone.

My favorite sports name ever was Ethnic Sands.

Thudpucker
07-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I forgot, you don't watch any sports. You may not have seen Andruw, Marvcus or Sean spelled Shawon and Chone.

My favorite sports name ever was Ethnic Sands.

I don't think you're getting it. As an adult I think it's lame, yes. That's not the issue though. It's wether young children think it lame.

Would a kid named Damien Lucifer get picked on to the point he develops serious emotional issues? Good chance. Would a kid who spelled his name Shawon instead of Shawn? i doubt it.

Young children attack what they find strange. Fat kids, gingers, whatever. Most the time the parents can't help what makes their kids stand out as targets in school. With names they can.

chess
07-18-2009, 02:53 AM
The trend that I see happening is to give a "regular name" and then give an unique spelling.

This is "Mike" but we spell it "Myuk". What? You didn't know this spelled "Mike"?

Hate_Prime
07-18-2009, 03:53 AM
If I ever have a kid, what other fucking kids may think, be it positive, negative or indifferent, will not be a consideration.

Mylazycat
07-18-2009, 05:19 AM
If I ever have a kid, what other fucking kids may think, be it positive, negative or indifferent, will not be a consideration.

You're gonna name the boy Sue, right?

Thudpucker
07-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Yea, alot of parents are like you. Force what they want on their kids and make them deal with it, no matter what anyone else thinks.

I'm going to try and be neutral with what I give my kids if I have any. Normal name, normal clothes. Then as they get older let them decide what they want. If they want a weird nickname or long hair or whatever it will be their choice, not mine.

Hate_Prime
07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Yea, alot of parents are like you. Force what they want on their kids and make them deal with it, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Um, you may make it sound unscrupulous, but all parents "force" their will on babies.

I'm going to try and be neutral with what I give my kids if I have any. Normal name, normal clothes. Then as they get older let them decide what they want. If they want a weird nickname or long hair or whatever it will be their choice, not mine.

Who said my kids won't have "normal" names or clothes? I just said what others think will not come into consideration when naming them.

If I ever feel like it, I'll most likely adopt. If I put getting picked on by other kids as a consideration, I'd consider avoiding a minority kid and just how sick a reasoning would that be.

Taxman
07-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't think you're getting it. As an adult I think it's lame, yes. That's not the issue though. It's wether young children think it lame.

Would a kid named Damien Lucifer get picked on to the point he develops serious emotional issues? Good chance. Would a kid who spelled his name Shawon instead of Shawn? i doubt it.

Young children attack what they find strange. Fat kids, gingers, whatever. Most the time the parents can't help what makes their kids stand out as targets in school. With names they can.Maybe the name correlation has more to do with overall parenting than it does how school mates react to the name.

Ray G.
07-18-2009, 09:03 AM

I plan to give my kids relatively normal, ethnically specific names to honor my late relatives. The names may be a bit old-fashioned from what kids today are named, but there's a cultural heritage behind them. And most of them can be shortened to normal-sounding nicknames.

Thudpucker
07-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Um, you may make it sound unscrupulous, but all parents "force" their will on babies.

Who said my kids won't have "normal" names or clothes? I just said what others think will not come into consideration when naming them.

If I ever feel like it, I'll most likely adopt. If I put getting picked on by other kids as a consideration, I'd consider avoiding a minority kid and just how sick a reasoning would that be.

Obviously factors like race, gender, handycaps ect. are not something a kid should ever be ashamed of. Should go without saying but I'll say it since you compared adopting a minority kid to something as trivial as what clothes a kid wears. I'm not even sure why you would.

Like I said earlier:

Young children attack what they find strange. Fat kids, gingers, whatever. Most the time the parents can't help what makes their kids stand out as targets in school. With names they can.

Parents who force their kids to grow mullets? Or make them wear dress clothes to school when all the other kids are wearing casual clothes? They're assholes. Same with parents who name their kid Kal El.

Parents should care if their kids are being picked on, and why.

Thudpucker
07-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I plan to give my kids relatively normal, ethnically specific names to honor my late relatives. The names may be a bit old-fashioned from what kids today are named, but there's a cultural heritage behind them. And most of them can be shortened to normal-sounding nicknames.

That's cool.

I had a friend named Obed when I was a kid. Maybe he grew up to appreciate it as an adult, is now proud to honor his family. Don't know. When he was a kid he really hated it though.

RoloTomassi
07-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Is Thudpucker your real name?

Thudpucker
07-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Is Thudpucker your real name?

:lol: No, but I did get to choose it myself instead of just being stuck with it.

This is sort of a sensative issue for me, I feel sorry for kids who have to deal with problems like this. I can relate to it somewhat.

(akaRyanHoffman)
07-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Good lord, Thud. You're reading way too much into this naming thing.

(whether you find the names strange or not is all relative, anyways)

I mean, I'd never want to name my child something like Supersonic Speed Demon, but I definetly wouldn't be opposed to a name like Deliah or Lilith.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I spoke with a woman who named her daughter Lasagna. I'd probably have anger issues too if I were the daughter.