PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Mariner: The Depths is brilliant!

Michael John Wheeler
07-11-2009, 09:30 AM
I just read this book and good god, is it fantastic.

It's so creepy, and intriguing. Milligan and Ribic really capture the claustrophobia of the sub so well. The use of Namor in this book is amazing and just--I don't know. I really want more, like a The Depths II or something, even though the story ended and ended well. It's that good. I just want more.

I really urge everyone here to read it. I can't see too many people not enjoying it. Top recommendation.

Criden
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it was a terrific mini. Great use of the Marvel Knights format. Have you read Magneto: Testament, Silver Surfer: Requiem, or Daredevil: Battlin' Jack Murdock? Those were all part of the Marvel Knights rebranding, and all excellent.

Brother Power the Gong
07-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I haven't read the DD one, but, yes, these are all excellent.

Criden
07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I haven't read the DD one, but, yes, these are all excellent.

Well, if you dug the art on Magneto: Testament, the same dude drew DD. And it's Zeb Wells at his absolute best (the likes of which we've probably only seen otherwise in Spidey: Extra #2, the Wolverine story).

Michael John Wheeler
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I've got the Magneto one ready to go next. I still have to pick up Battlin' Jack (was it released as a PHC? I need to keep them in the same format, you must understand :wink:)

I'd also include Spider-Man Reign in that group, Criden. I can't think of what else was with this group.

Criden
07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I've got the Magneto one ready to go next. I still have to pick up Battlin' Jack (was it released as a PHC? I need to keep them in the same format, you must understand :wink:)

I'd also include Spider-Man Reign in that group, Criden. I can't think of what else was with this group.

Spider-Man Reign was indeed a part of the line, but I didn't think it was quite good enough to make the cut in terms of the quality of books I was recommending. Good, solid stuff, but pretty much Spidey by way of The Dark Knight Returns.

There are a few other MK books--Angel: Revelations, Spider-Man: With Great Power..., Captain America: White (only #0 has come out), and Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas (only #1 has come out). None of those were so great that they reached the heights of the ones I mentioned above, though.

And unfortunately, it looks like BJM has only been released as a TPB at this point. I'm sure it'll get the PHC treatment soon enough, though. And definitely don't forget about Surfer!

Brother Power the Gong
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, if you dug the art on Magneto: Testament, the same dude drew DD. And it's Zeb Wells at his absolute best (the likes of which we've probably only seen otherwise in Spidey: Extra #2, the Wolverine story).

Nice. I'll have to check that.

Andreas
07-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I've said something similar before (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=164931&p=5381634). One of the better comics Marvel published last year.

Andreas

Michael John Wheeler
07-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Criden, Spider-Man Reign is definitely in the caliber of the others you mentioned, at least for me. I had such a good time reading it and the art was wonderful.

And I haven't forgotten the Silver Surfer one. I thought it was beautifully done, both with the writing and the art. In fact, I kind of want to go back and read it again now... but after Magneto.

dEnny!
07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Finished it last week and really enjoyed it. Essad Ribic is one of the finest, most under-appreciated comic artists. His work is gorgeous!

dEnny!
07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh yeah, and I need to pick up Magneto: Testament.

I'm no longer going to buy PHC's though so I'm waiting for the trade.

butchy stubbs
07-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Definitely brilliant from the first three issues I read--you get a real sense of forboding. I bought issue one in the quarter bin, paid like $4.50 eachfor two and three and can't find the rest. Evidently it was a sleeper hit. Damn and i remember almost buying it when it came out. I'm not shelling out $20 bones for a trade though. Has there been one solicited?

danlomb
07-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Soon as i've got the cashflow I'll be hoping to find the hardcover to go along with my pretty Spider-Man REIGN and Silver Surfer REQUIEM ones.
Love Ribic to pieces, and when Milligan's 'on', he's 'on'.

Also hanging out for Magneto TESTAMENT, too. Heard nothing but praise.

Manolis
07-12-2009, 06:32 AM
ordering depths and testament in hardcover as well. i read everything milligan writes :)

totalsellout
07-12-2009, 06:44 AM
i bought it in monthlies. i'm glad because i think the month long wait between issues enhanced the forboding and tension of the series. i'll try and pick up the of the line in trades.

shoelaceless
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I finally got around to finishing this today. Great stuff.

Marcdachamp
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Sell me.