PDA

View Full Version : Antho Update?

SKAtoons
07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Any news on the antho? Good or bad?

Mikie
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Outlaw Territory is doing great! It's been very well received and I've yet to hear anything negative. Thanks for asking. :happy:

fictionclemens
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Of course OT will go down in history as "THE" Anthology ;)

Mikie
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Of course OT will go down in history as "THE" Anthology ;)

That is SO true, you know?

SKAtoons
07-06-2009, 08:42 PM
well I was talking about the Jinxworld board Antho...but I'm glad that Outlaw Territory is doing well. Sean told me that the local show that we go to was out.....sell sell sell!

Pick The System!
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
well I was talking about the Jinxworld board Antho...but I'm glad that Outlaw Territory is doing well. Sean told me that the local show that we go to was out.....sell sell sell!

Please fill me in. :-?

Jef UK
07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Please fill me in. :-?

We finished a 80 page or so anthology here on the Oeming side of things back in February.

Pick The System!
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
We finished a 80 page or so anthology here on the Oeming side of things back in February.

Ok. Sounds cool. Is it available through Previews? I really haven't heard anything about this until now. I feel bad about this because it's something I should've picked up on somewhere, sometime.

Jef UK
07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Ok. Sounds cool. Is it available through Previews? I really haven't heard anything about this until now. I feel bad about this because it's something I should've picked up on somewhere, sometime.

Nossir, it's not available yet. Hence the query. But it is cool!

Pick The System!
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for filling me in! :beer: I'll keep my eyes open for this.

Mikie
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM

I know. I was making with the funny.

But, yeah...we had kind of a rough release with those forty-some-odd Marvel books hitting that week, but Outlaw did manage to sell out at a few shops already and the reorders are starting to come in.

And if their is anything I can do to help the cause, Mary knows how to get a hold of me.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
We need to do email follow-ups with the companies we submitted to.

After that, I am pretty adamant about launching it as a web site, with those that want to participate can post preview pages / their whole story on the web.

That way we have something internet-wise to show people to further drum up interest.

I think the problem we have and are going to continue to run into is the lack of concrete theme. Believe me we're pitching it as a themed book, but it's a very loose theme (considering there wasn't one to begin with).

After that, if people are still interesting in self-publishing, then more than likely M. Sean McManus will take over as Editor-In-Chief. I have no interest in self-publishing.

fictionclemens
07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I have no interest in self-publishing.

And here I always pictured you as a masochist... Oh wait, Brick THROWER! Gotcha.

Mikie
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
We need to do email follow-ups with the companies we submitted to.

After that, I am pretty adamant about launching it as a web site, with those that want to participate can post preview pages / their whole story on the web.

That way we have something internet-wise to show people to further drum up interest.

I think the problem we have and are going to continue to run into is the lack of concrete theme. Believe me we're pitching it as a themed book, but it's a very loose theme (considering there wasn't one to begin with).

After that, if people are still interesting in self-publishing, then more than likely M. Sean McManus will take over as Editor-In-Chief. I have no interest in self-publishing.

It's really tough getting things set-up at publishers right now. Might be smarter to go digital.

07-10-2009, 06:33 PM
It's really tough getting things set-up at publishers right now. Might be smarter to go digital.

I heard that a lot Mikie. It was the same "the economy isn't great, and anthologies are a hard sell" spiel with everyone we talked to at NYCC. I really feel like promoting it via the web, just so everyone can get their work out there that wants the exposure seems like a great idea.

Sorta like a web resume or sorts.

M. Sean McManus
07-10-2009, 06:47 PM
After that, if people are still interesting in self-publishing, then more than likely M. Sean McManus will take over as Editor-In-Chief. I don't honestly know if the people can handle me being in charge of something like this...

Mikie
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I heard that a lot Mikie. It was the same "the economy isn't great, and anthologies are a hard sell" spiel with everyone we talked to at NYCC. I really feel like promoting it via the web, just so everyone can get their work out there that wants the exposure seems like a great idea.

Sorta like a web resume or sorts.

I was thinking more like LongBox or Pullbox or one of those.

Jef UK
07-11-2009, 06:12 AM
I was thinking more like LongBox or Pullbox or one of those.

If I remember correctly, LongBox isn't planning to accept reader submissions until later in the year or early next year or something like that? There's a thread about it on the Bendis side of things.

The zombies are going to enjoy the swiss cheese that is my brain.

Outlaw Territory looks rad, by the way.

Mikie
07-11-2009, 09:12 AM
If I remember correctly, LongBox isn't planning to accept reader submissions until later in the year or early next year or something like that? There's a thread about it on the Bendis side of things.

The zombies are going to enjoy the swiss cheese that is my brain.

Outlaw Territory looks rad, by the way.

Yes, we'd have to wait for LongBox, but maybe not for Pullbox or ComicsXP. LongBox is clearly the best option, but not the only option. There is also Clickwheel for iPod and iPhone.

And thank you. I work hard to put together the best people on that book. I'm very fortunate that so many people said yes and brought their A game with them.

08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
UPDATE 8/24:

SLAVE LABOR GRAPHICS passed on the antho, although they said that there was some "admirable work" in it. Just didn't seem like the right fit.

Tommie Kelly
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Do it as a webcomic,

I'll host it.

it's like $7 for a domain name. I am sure we can stretch that far! :)

Mikie
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Do it as a webcomic,

I'll host it.

it's like $7 for a domain name. I am sure we can stretch that far! :)

How do we get a return out of a webcomic? Not that I'm opposed to the idea, but it is something to think about.

Tommie Kelly
08-29-2009, 03:23 AM
How do we get a return out of a webcomic? Not that I'm opposed to the idea, but it is something to think about.

How does anyone get a return from webcomics?
Advertising, low cost print on demand hard copy versions and T-shirts.

The biggest return is exposure.

Did anyone honestly think they would make money from this?:mistrust:

Mikie
08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
How does anyone get a return from webcomics?
Advertising, low cost print on demand hard copy versions and T-shirts.

The biggest return is exposure.

I don't think not making money on this should be a foregone conclusion.

If advertising is what we are pushing for profits, then that should come into play with the release strategy. It also means we have to go out and get advertisers.

If we are looking at merchandising to be the thrust, then that's a whole other conversation.

If it is just about the exposure, then you have to figure a way to drive traffic to the site. That means probably having to spend money or hustle for reviews.

If we're just going to talk about it on our blogs and usual haunts, then we might as well release the book here in its own thread.

Jef UK
08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
With the web, we can put it in all of those places and more! It's own site. Blogs. indyplanet.com . Literatemachine.com . Everywhere. If anyone wants to sell some at their own table or something, that person invests in however many from Ka-Blam or whatever.

Tommie Kelly
08-30-2009, 06:07 AM
I agree with Jef
Exactly whay I think!
Do ALL of it.

there is no way that i would be able to sell many hard copies, as there is ONE con a year here. So there is no point in me jumping in on a huge print run.

With Ka-blam, everyone gets whatever amount they want, they pay for the printing cost of their run and keep the profits. Everyone else in the comic gets exposure so it's win win!

SKAtoons
08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Personally, I don't care if I make money or not. Just get it the fuck out there! It's been forever and nothing I hate more than to work on something and it never see the light of day!

Arion
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM

I guess you'll keep us posted, right?

Boss Hogg
08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Personally, I don't care if I make money or not. Just get it the fuck out there! It's been forever and nothing I hate more than to work on something and it never see the light of day!

Agreed.

08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I"m pretty surprised. Everyone was so anti-web for so long and now suddenly people that actually still post here are all for it.

Give me a couple weeks and we'll have a plan for the web. I will email everyone. Thanks.

Tommie Kelly
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Embrace the webcomic....

Mikie
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Embrace the webcomic....

Why does that sound pervy when you type it?

09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
We have started discussing with Ziggy, just gonna throw up a teaser site in the next week. I'm sorry I'm waiting for my new work hours to start (I'll have Thurs and Fri off) to begin working on the new facet of SP! =)

Arion
09-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Damn it, I thought we would get rich...

09-14-2009, 07:22 AM
We've got a teaser site up right now:
http://www.fakemccoy.com/secretproject/

=)

Ziggy
09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
it's gonna go up on its own domain in the next few days or so. that's just a temporary address.

Tommie Kelly
09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
i like it, but shouldn't my name be bigger than everyone elses? I am the star attraction after all :P

SKAtoons
09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
any ideas on how to get people interested and looking at this once its up? Marketing ideas?

Ziggy
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
i like it, but shouldn't my name be bigger than everyone elses? I am the star attraction after all :P

pfft. i almost left your name off it just because you're LAME!

and of course, my plan to keep anyone who's name is alphabetically before mine off the project to that i receive top billing succeeded! MWA-HA-HA!!!

Ziggy
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
any ideas on how to get people interested and looking at this once its up? Marketing ideas?

well if sending out a mass email that says "rob reilly's in this shit! y'all betta recognize!" doesn't work, i'm out of ideas...

SKAtoons
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
can we get an article on newsrama, etc. buy a banner on this site and other sites...etc.

i don't know if this is what you guys are already planning on what not.

09-14-2009, 02:03 PM
1 - I need to email everyone involved first and make sure we know who is taking part of the web comic.
2 - Then we'll set up the site with the intention of making it weekly / bi-weekly - i.e. one comic gets featured at a time
3 - With that comic being featured we will have the individual creators working to promote specifically on their featured week but I will of course be trying to get press for the entirety of the project
4 - Do the ads on Newsarama cost money? That's my issue when it comes to something like that.

*PLEASE NOTE that I will not begin working on this fully until my new schedule starts and i have Thursdays and Fridays off to devote to the project. My new schedule begins Sept 21st*

Thanks,

Arion
09-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Get every comic book related site interested in the project.

Tommie Kelly
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
cool,

Check out

www.projectwonderful.com

it's webcomic advertising!

Jef UK
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I"m pretty surprised. Everyone was so anti-web for so long and now suddenly people that actually still post here are all for it.

Give me a couple weeks and we'll have a plan for the web. I will email everyone. Thanks.

I was always pro! :)

And you rock, MEB. Keep hope alive!

Jef UK
09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Y'all misspelled my first name on the dummy site, btw: "Jeffrey" not "Jeffery."

Before this goes live I may get you a version of the first page that reads "Jef UK" instead....

Ziggy
09-15-2009, 01:32 PM
i'll change it to "Jeh-Free"

how's that?

Arion
09-19-2009, 05:44 PM
1 - I need to email everyone involved first and make sure we know who is taking part of the web comic.
2 - Then we'll set up the site with the intention of making it weekly / bi-weekly - i.e. one comic gets featured at a time
3 - With that comic being featured we will have the individual creators working to promote specifically on their featured week but I will of course be trying to get press for the entirety of the project
4 - Do the ads on Newsarama cost money? That's my issue when it comes to something like that.

*PLEASE NOTE that I will not begin working on this fully until my new schedule starts and i have Thursdays and Fridays off to devote to the project. My new schedule begins Sept 21st*

Thanks,

I think that if Newsarama charges for ads it should be cheap . It's not like they have much traffic these days... The 'Rama is practically a ghost town now.