PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is the BOUGHT/THOUGHT 07-01-2009 thread?

Pat Shatner
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh, I guess it's here?

Captain America:Reborn (I know there's a thread for this book already but it's the only thing I've read today and it looks like everybody else forgot to post a bought/thought thread.)

Honestly, I would have liked another artist, as Hitch just doesn't do it for me anymore. He's a good artist, for sure, but some of the art looked a bit rushed and it was jarring to turn from a nice, tight, decent looking page to a slightly less well put together one a few times during the issue. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Brubaker's story has me hooked, though. The stuff dealing with the weapon and the details of what exactly happened to Steve Rogers on the day of his supposed death really worked for me. I was initially kind of apprehensive about this story as I love what Brubaker has done with Bucky/New Cap in the last two years and would have been okay with Steve sitting another couple of years out, but once I got a sense of where he was going with this story and how, exactly, he's going to make the return work I got pretty excited. I can't wait to see how this pans out!

Also: "Steve Rogers has come unstuck in time."
I totally high fived dead Kurt Vonnegut when I read that. Awesome page.

Fake Pat
07-01-2009, 04:59 PM
It's official, Batman & Robin is the best mainstream book going.

Even better than the first issue.

9/10

Ray G.
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Wow, FF sucked this week.

Worst identity reveal ever. Mark Millar's books are starting to bleed together in an unpleasant little quasi-incestous stew.

Nick Spencer
07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
It's official, Batman & Robin is the best mainstream book going.

Even better than the first issue.

9/10

Jesus.

This book fucking FLOORED me. Even better than the first. Just goddamned perfect.

Grant is, at this point, playing in his own league. I know it sounds like hyperbole. It isn't.

Fake Pat
07-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Jesus.

This book fucking FLOORED me. Even better than the first. Just goddamned perfect.

Grant is, at this point, playing in his own league. I know it sounds like hyperbole. It isn't.

That pretty much covers it. I think part of it for me was the Quitely got even more room to shine in this ish. More awesome design work, that We3 style insane action, etc.

Like it or not, you have to give it up for the near-flawless execution.

Criden
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Worst identity reveal ever. Mark Millar's books are starting to bleed together in an unpleasant little quasi-incestous stew.

I haven't read the issue yet, but the new Marquis of Death protégé is Clyde Wyncham, right? I know Millar mentioned that in an interview a long while back; at this point I just thought they weren't going to bother bringing it up in the FF book....

Ray G.
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't read the issue yet, but the new Marquis of Death protégé is Clyde Wyncham, right? I know Millar mentioned that in an interview a long while back; at this point I just thought they weren't going to bother bringing it up in the FF book....

No, Clyde IS the Marquis. Some kind of weird time-travelling and hyper-evolution thing. Didn't make a lick of sense.

Criden
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
No, Clyde IS the Marquis. Some kind of weird time-travelling and hyper-evolution thing. Didn't make a lick of sense.

Wait. He's not the new Doom, he's the Marquis. Well...well then. Why even bother explaining/"revealing" this character?

Fake Pat
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM

I am so glad I dropped that book.

My interest in anything Millar does has absolutely plummeted since CW.

Matthew Brown
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
DC wins the week again between Justice League: Cry for Justice and Batman & Robin. Marvel-wise, though, I loved getting a double dose of Jeff Parker this week. (That's what she said!)

andrew french
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I said it in the other thread, but I really enjoyed Batman and Robin 2. Quitely is awesome, and it's very fun to read. 9

Spidey616
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
FF

Yeah, wasn't too impressed either like a lot of others it seems. Glad at least Millar officially tied 1985, Old Man Logan, and FF together. Hope the final issue can redeem the arc.

Uncanny X-Men #513

Utopia gets bigger and bigger with the debut of the Dark X-Men. Some interesting developments with Simon Trask and Charles Xavier on Norman's team revealed to be

Mystique

Clayton James
07-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Cry For Justice was a giant, extended prologue. I don't think I'm down for this. Robinson seems at his best when he gets to completely design a character from ground up. Here, he's trying to spin his charm on Hal and Ollie and it doesn't sound right. Also Superman comes off completely wrong as if, once again, he's never seen a problem that super strength and good ol' farm knowhow hasn't been able to solve (not like someone who sung darksied out of existence and cryogenically froze all of humanity on the cosmic outpost). I liked Ray Palmer but, even though Mikhaal and Congorilla got sequences, I didn't get enough feel for them to know. 5/10

Batman and Robin was pitch perfect. Every reference, every panel, was perfect. 10/10

Cap Reborn: the only two things I liked about this were Hitch's art and Hank Pym (and his Avengers) being referenced by the Marvel Universe proper. Also it's kind of fun to think that Hank has become the vaguely unhinged, underground genius you go to when you don't want Reed Richards to know what you're planning. Also Cap is Desmond now... but in the flashback, they seemed to be bringing about his physical form... confusing 7/10

Astounding Wolf-Man: Some nice emotional resolution as one thing ends and another thing begins. I like the lack of status quo on this book, though I feel we're losing some of the supernatural that madeup the book's beginning in the superhero/villain stuff. That said, the last page seems to do something to rectify this. 8/10

JHickman
07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Jesus.

This.

It's just insane how great he is.

beta-ray
07-01-2009, 08:10 PM
That pretty much covers it. I think part of it for me was the Quitely got even more room to shine in this ish. More awesome design work, that We3 style insane action, etc.

Like it or not, you have to give it up for the near-flawless execution.

Like what or not? If I didn't like the book do I have to say it is near-flawless?

THWIP!
07-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Like what or not? If I didn't like the book do I have to say it is near-flawless?

You're not going to get anywhere with Pat. You don't agree with what he says you're wrong. But I on the other hand agree with you. It's not Morrison, I just can't stand Frank Q's art.

AndrewG
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Pat, Nick, Andrew, Clayton and Jonathan are 100% correct in this thread with their opinions of Batman and Robin.

Perfect book.

Slewo.O
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Pat, Nick, Andrew, Clayton and Jonathan are 100% correct in this thread with their opinions of Batman and Robin.

Perfect book.

Cannot fucking wait for this book. Hopefully Summer School flies by tomorrow. :(

Well I got 2 weeks worth of comic books and since I ordered a good chunk of marvel comics and trades I had a good amount of reading to do which kept me up all night and I'm still not finished!

Some highlights were.

All-Star Superman Vol 2: This is probably one of if not THE best Superman story ever written. The ending stories were reaching a great melancholy but still keeping that fun anything could happen book. This is the same Superman we saw destroy Darkseid with music going up to confront Solaris the Tyrant Sun with an army of Superman robots. Just fucking awesome. Hopefully we'll get a followup to the end.

Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes HC: I double-dipped for this. Partly because I wanted it in HC, partly because I gave away my original issues. It's probably my favorite Superman story aside from All-Star Superman and for good reason. Geoff Johns probably has one of the best handles on the character and his personality. And the Legion under his pen has probably at the best it's been in a while and it covers new ground with a punch from the past in the form of the Justice League. Superman's battle with Earth-Man probably more than anything shows what's the best about the character.

Uncanny X-Men #512: This issue made up for the Sisterhood arc in full. Time travel, disguises, and steampunk technology? This is always what I imagined Five Fists of Science to be (Which I have yet to read) and hopefully it's like this cause this was an awesome story. If Fraction's X-Men stories are more like this than I'll enjoy the book.

Criden
07-01-2009, 11:50 PM
All-Star Superman Vol 2: This is probably one of if not THE best Superman story ever written. The ending stories were reaching a great melancholy but still keeping that fun anything could happen book. This is the same Superman we saw destroy Darkseid with music going up to confront Solaris the Tyrant Sun with an army of Superman robots. Just fucking awesome. Hopefully we'll get a followup to the end.

Glad you enjoyed it so much, Slewo.

The followup to the end appeared in issue #6. I suggest you go back and re-read it with the end in mind.

NeverWanderer
07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
When I started picking up Batman & Robin, I was really hoping for some of that We3 magic. I dunno why I was expecting that, considering what Morrison had done with the bat books previously, and it's not like he and Quitely always go the same route -- We3 is nothing like New X-Men, for example -- but, dammit, I had a feeling.

Issue #2 proved that feeling right. Wonderful issue. The fight sequence was thrilling, not only because of the page design, but because in a single panel, Quitely reminds us that the heart of Dick Grayson's movement has always been acrobatics. Bruce Wayne don't move like that. GREAT stuff.

Christ, I hope Dick gets the career that Wally had.

Also picked up Chew #1 & 2. Only read #1 so far, but damn! This is a really, REALLY good book! Great art, great, natural writing, and a totally original and unique concept. Highly recommended.

NickT
07-02-2009, 05:32 AM

We knew 1985, Kick Ass, Old Man Logan and F4 were somehow linked from the start.

Jef UK
07-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Prediction: Steve Rogers will end up with Kate instead of Jack or Sawyer.

Jef UK
07-02-2009, 06:07 AM
We knew 1985, Kick Ass, Old Man Logan and F4 were somehow linked from the start.

Yep.

Big McLargeHuge
07-02-2009, 06:52 AM
It's not Morrison, I just can't stand Frank Q's art.

I used to hate his artwork too, I just couldn't get over how lumpy everything looked. Although, the more that I saw, the more it grew on me and now he's top 3 in my book. His proportions, sense of scale, emotions, and his storytelling ability is pretty unparalleled in my eyes. He's just an absolutely brialliant artist. But, what do I know, I can't draw worth a damn and have no first-hand knowledge of drawing...but as an outsider, I believe he's pretty damn incredible.

Zac Goyette
07-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Captain America Reborn #1- Good issue. I like the idea, and it is was cool to see some of stuff in last few arcs of Cap tie in and make a little more sense. I don't like the helmet that Hitch drew. That was Ultimate Cap's thing, and I didn't really care for it then either. I also liked seeing Hank tie into this. 8/10.

Cable #16- I am really hoping that this book doesn't keep retreading the previous issues post messiah war. I want to see more than Bishop trying to kill Hope. Obviously that is the main part of the book, but mixing some things in to change things up would be nice. Gulacy's art was really good. 5/10

Invincible Iron Man #15- Damn, I love this book. I gush every month on this title. One of, if not the best title coming out of Marvel. Tony's deconstruction is one hell of a compelling story. 9.5/10

Uncanny X-Men #513- Double dose of Fraction goodness this week. I love seeing the return of so many characters! Dark Beast, Mimic, Weapon Omega. I am dying to know what Emma's angle is in all of this. I felt like the story lost a little speed with this issue, but at the end it looks like things are about to kick up again. The art seemed a little shaky in areas, but overall was decent. 7/10

TIP
07-02-2009, 08:04 AM

:lol:

Cth
07-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #1 wins the "worst anatomy since Cap Breasts" award..

There's one particular panel that I literally could not believe got past editorial.

Deadpool's AIM contact is bent over and you can see underboobage.. the trouble is, he head is angled at a >90 degree direction. It's like someone said "No wait, we need to see her face" and didn't bother fixing the rest of the drawing. It doesn't help that the colorist tagged the elbow the same color as the shirt, which kind of illustrates how awful the pose is.

Anyways, fun book, I'll see if I can get a scan of it.. everyone needs to see this thing.

jamestolliver
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
You're not going to get anywhere with Pat. You don't agree with what he says you're wrong. But I on the other hand agree with you. It's not Morrison, I just can't stand Frank Q's art.

I love Quitely but my girlfriend can't stand his artwork.

IPeacock
07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I used to hate his artwork too, I just couldn't get over how lumpy everything looked. Although, the more that I saw, the more it grew on me and now he's top 3 in my book. His proportions, sense of scale, emotions, and his storytelling ability is pretty unparalleled in my eyes. He's just an absolutely brialliant artist. But, what do I know, I can't draw worth a damn and have no first-hand knowledge of drawing...but as an outsider, I believe he's pretty damn incredible.

I draw stick figures like I have parkinsons, and I love his artwork. The silent issue of New X-Men is one of the best drawn comics ever IMO. I don't think that anyone draws better costumes and/or machinery than Quitely

andrew french
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Quitely is also one of the best storytellers in comics right now, especially anywhere in Marvel and DC. His pages aren't stilted illustrations, he has an amazing grasp on body language, and as someone said here, he knows how to draw realistic fabric. That's enough for me to check out whatever he works on (thankfully it's almost always great, even the little obscure stuff like that Kingdom Come Offspring issue).

Blake Sims
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Quitely is also one of the best storytellers in comics right now, especially anywhere in Marvel and DC. His pages aren't stilted illustrations, he has an amazing grasp on body language, and as someone said here, he knows how to draw realistic fabric. That's enough for me to check out whatever he works on (thankfully it's almost always great, even the little obscure stuff like that Kingdom Come Offspring issue).

I totally forgot about that! I wonder if I still have it...

andrew french
07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I totally forgot about that! I wonder if I still have it...

Yeah, I just got it this year after asking the board about it. I wonder where the hell I put it...

Slewo.O
07-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Huh I also read X-Force for the finale of Messiah War. And... yeah I can kinda see why people are pissed. In the end not so much happened it was alright but it just felt kinda boring. Though I don't understand What did Apocalypse do with Stryfe?

The highlights though were big when they happened though like Cable and Wolverine vs Stryfe, Deadpool vs Stryfe, and Apocalypse beating the shit out of Stryfe. Though I gotta say besides his return I don't think it impacts the X-Men line as much as they claimed, I mean we hardly found out the true nature of Hope.

Blake Sims
07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I just got it this year after asking the board about it. I wonder where the hell I put it...

Yeah I think I found it in the 50 cent bin a few years ago.

I'd totally buy a Quitely Plasticman comic!

andrew french
07-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah I think I found it in the 50 cent bin a few years ago.

I'd totally buy a Quitely Plasticman comic!

Definitely agreed. I just found the issue, and Quitely draws the heck out of Plastic Man. As great as Baker was, it'd be amazing to see what he could do (and perhaps satisfy the mashed potato critics with an excuse).

Fake Pat
07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Kinda.

You don't have to like to it, but you pretty much have to respect it.

nick maynard
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
i really loved hitch's art in reborn. it's his best stuff since ultimates ended.

Ray G.
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Kinda.

You don't have to like to it, but you pretty much have to respect it.

I respect it for being a fairly slight but still entertaining issue of a very good comic.

antithesis
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
In this week's Uncanny, it says Michael Pointer is Canadian. I thought he was from North Pole, Alaska. Did he turn in his US citizenship when he joined Omega Flight?

Matthew Brown
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
In this week's Uncanny, it says Michael Pointer is Canadian. I thought he was from North Pole, Alaska. Did he turn in his US citizenship when he joined Omega Flight?

Looking at it now and all that is said is he's "done some good up north."

NickT
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Looking at it now and all that is said is he's "done some good up north."
His title caption says Canadian.

Matthew Brown
07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
His title caption says Canadian.

Weird... Maybe he liked their health care.

Jef UK
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I thought Penny was his constant. Oops, that's LOST again!

Jef UK
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
So I went back to the store to pick up B&R cuz of this thraed, and Quitely layouts and sense of timing in each panel is amazing. Like how Robin has just landed while Bats is just about to. Or how one of the triamese twins heads is loopy after being punched in the previous panel.

Fake Pat
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
So I went back to the store to pick up B&R cuz of this thraed, and Quitely layouts and sense of timing in each panel is amazing. Like how Robin has just landed while Bats is just about to. Or how one of the triamese twins heads is loopy after being punched in the previous panel.

FQ is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

I really feel bad for Philip Tan. Following this arc is going to prove impossible.

leafinsectman
07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Agents of Atlas 7 - Best recap pages ever. Probably the most consistently fun and intriguing book Marvel has right now, definitely the best value for money.

Uncanny 513 - I liked it better than the first Utopia issue, mostly because of the art but the story too. First ish felt like Norman babbling and some random fight scenes, this one felt more like things are moving along. Matt Fraction is fucking hilarious :D "Lets &#@% some $%#@ up, bros! Let's get &#@%$# extreme!"

Cap Reborn 1 - It was okay. I didn't feel like I got much of a story, it might read better as a whole. I love Hitch and the Butch.

Batman & Robin 2 - The Morrison/Quietly team up is fucking magic! I really love Damian and its all because of how Morrison handle's him. Anyone else and I'd probably hate/really dislike him.

woljed
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Cap Reborn

Batman and Robin 2

100 Bullets TPB Vol. 1.

HOOKS
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
FQ is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

I really feel bad for Philip Tan. Following this arc is going to prove impossible.

Philip Tan is doing an arc on B&R? :(

WickedLittleHigh
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Marvel Divas.....not a fan.

Picking up Unwritten, Locke & Key, and Invincible Iron Man tomorrow.

totalsellout
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
cap reborn- a lot better then i thought it would be. i like bucky cap and black widows infiltration scenes (yeah, we might as well call him that now that real cap is coming back). consulting with pym was cool too.
did salvation 2 get revealed to be some kind of cap robot? is that what i saw in the background?
steve rogers is unstuck in time is cool. if he billy pilgrims himself back to life, bru will have out done himself. i was hesitant on this, now i think it's pretty fucking cool. i thought the gun was going to be revealed to be a tranquilizer gun or something like that, but this is an exciting, almost metaphysical way to bring him back.

uncanny x-men- i like how this is going. the dark x-men being stacked with a dark avenger and 2 members of the cabal promises fire works ahead.
so, emma is secretly allied with namor, who is secretly allied with doom, who is secretly allied with loki (and the red skull for that matter), and loki is secretly controlling the mighty avengers. i want this to last a while, yet i also just can't way for this all to blow up.
i loved the "it turns out wolverine is really popular" bit from norman.

war of kings- consistenly good. i'm really enjoying paul pelletire's art. he reminds me of alan davis.

invincible ironman- i love the loss of tonys "powers", and i'm dying to see masque's face. i'm really liking the maria hill stuff. this is one of those instances of mean bitch you hate meets situation where you really need a mean bitch and she really shines.

wonder woman, the circle- i've never bought a wonder woman comic before, i just wanted to try gail's writing after seeing the movie and hearing gail talk on this board. pretty fucking cool. she was so athenian and majestic in her actions. the stories were on such an epic scale. the dialogue is funny and smart. really glad i tried this.

all star superman volume 1- this is another, i wanted to try a grant morrison comic because i never have before thing. wow. this felt like well done, old school, superfriends style, silver age superman. the word that comes to mind is "neat". the dying superman idea is fascinating.
just because this thread was already talking about it, i just don't know what to make of quitely's art. this is my first exposure to it. some panels are gorgeous. some things look a little silly. everything is lush, but in places it seems almost kitchy. but the kitchy is cool too, i guess. i dont know, he's going to take some getting used to.

Gail Simone
07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
cap reborn- a lot better then i thought it would be. i like bucky cap and black widows infiltration scenes (yeah, we might as well call him that now that real cap is coming back). consulting with pym was cool too.
did salvation 2 get revealed to be some kind of cap robot? is that what i saw in the background?
steve rogers is unstuck in time is cool. if he billy pilgrims himself back to life, bru will have out done himself. i was hesitant on this, now i think it's pretty fucking cool. i thought the gun was going to be revealed to be a tranquilizer gun or something like that, but this is an exciting, almost metaphysical way to bring him back.

uncanny x-men- i like how this is going. the dark x-men being stacked with a dark avenger and 2 members of the cabal promises fire works ahead.
so, emma is secretly allied with namor, who is secretly allied with doom, who is secretly allied with loki (and the red skull for that matter), and loki is secretly controlling the mighty avengers. i want this to last a while, yet i also just can't way for this all to blow up.
i loved the "it turns out wolverine is really popular" bit from norman.

wonder woman, the circle- i've never bought a wonder woman comic before, i just wanted to try gail's writing after seeing the movie and hearing gail talk on this board. pretty fucking cool. she was so athenian and majestic in her actions. the stories were on such an epic scale. the dialogue is funny and smart. really glad i tried this.

You are very sweet. I am delighted you liked it.

Fake Pat
07-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Philip Tan is doing an arc on B&R? :(

Yes, issues 4-6, and I second that :(.

Foggy's Pal
07-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes, issues 4-6, and I second that :(.

Yeah, it's going to be a long wait to get Quitely back with issue #10.

Slewo.O
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Agents of Atlas 7 - Best recap pages ever. Probably the most consistently fun and intriguing book Marvel has right now, definitely the best value for money.

Uncanny 513 - I liked it better than the first Utopia issue, mostly because of the art but the story too. First ish felt like Norman babbling and some random fight scenes, this one felt more like things are moving along. Matt Fraction is fucking hilarious :D "Lets &#@% some $%#@ up, bros! Let's get &#@%$# extreme!"

Cap Reborn 1 - It was okay. I didn't feel like I got much of a story, it might read better as a whole. I love Hitch and the Butch.

Batman & Robin 2 - The Morrison/Quietly team up is fucking magic! I really love Damian and its all because of how Morrison handle's him. Anyone else and I'd probably hate/really dislike him.

"Turns out people love Wolverine. Can't get enough of him. Who knew?"

Fake Pat
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, it's going to be a long wait to get Quitely back with issue #10.

I'm pretty excited for Frazer Irving's arc, but you're definitely right. No matter how much I do enjoy Irving, Quitely is playing on a whole different level.

At least we pretty much know now that the wait will be worth it, and the idea of Quitely's return and Multiversity hitting around the same time next spring has me very excited.

Jef UK
07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Quitely's sound effects as artifacts within the story are brilliant.

Fake Pat
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Quitely's sound effects as artifacts within the story are brilliant.

Totally. The "SMASH" in the wall in #2 is the best one yet.

Supreme Convoy
07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Captain American Reborn #1 - I'm stoked about this mini-series!

Simpsons Super Spectacular #9 - What a fun crossover that pokes fun at us fanboys :lol: Even as a huge fan of the show, I've never been interested in picking up the comics. I suppose after this, I'll check out Simpsons comics more often.

Batman & Robin #2 - As mentioned before, Grant and Frank just fuckin' rock on this book. It's becoming one of my new favorite books.

Uncanny X-Men #513 - "[Daken's] q-numbers are astronomical and I want him to be the gateway brand between the two teams. Turns out people LOVE Wolverine and can't get enough of him. Who know?" Classic :)

Dark Reign Fantastic Four #4 - The pages with Norman facing Franklin and Valeria are worth the price of admission :)

Cable #16 - Zac Goyette does bring up a good point that Bishop has been hunting Hope for 16 issues... yet for me, it doesn't seem boring to me. It's still an intriguing story for me.

Huh I also read X-Force for the finale of Messiah War. And... yeah I can kinda see why people are pissed. In the end not so much happened it was alright but it just felt kinda boring. Though I don't understand What did Apocalypse do with Stryfe?

The highlights though were big when they happened though like Cable and Wolverine vs Stryfe, Deadpool vs Stryfe, and Apocalypse beating the shit out of Stryfe. Though I gotta say besides his return I don't think it impacts the X-Men line as much as they claimed, I mean we hardly found out the true nature of Hope.

I love Messiah War but it does kinda trail off at the end. I think there are suppose to be X-Force epilogues to conclude the story?

I'm also reading Comic Journal #298 featuring an interview Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. Great stuff so far!

Supreme Convoy
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Totally. The "SMASH" in the wall in #2 is the best one yet.

I just noticed that now!

Gotta flip through #1 again to look for the sound effects I might've missed...

Fake Pat
07-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I just noticed that now!

Gotta flip through #1 again to look for the sound effects I might've missed...

As far as I recall, it was only done 3 times in #1.

The explosions in the very first panel, the Batmobile shooting the landmine in the tunnel, and Mr. Toad's car hitting the water.

Foggy's Pal
07-04-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm pretty excited for Frazer Irving's arc, but you're definitely right. No matter how much I do enjoy Irving, Quitely is playing on a whole different level.

At least we pretty much know now that the wait will be worth it, and the idea of Quitely's return and Multiversity hitting around the same time next spring has me very excited.

Can you imagine Quitely on Multiversity?!? Too bad he can't draw as fast as Bagley...

Fake Pat
07-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Can you imagine Quitely on Multiversity?!? Too bad he can't draw as fast as Bagley...

I'm actually holding out hope that Quitely might be able to pull off one of the later Multiversity issues.

And the idea of FQ being able to draw as fast as Bagley is too wonderful for me to even imagine.

Foggy's Pal
07-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I am more excited for Multiversity than anything else right now. I wish it were coming sooner, but it sounds like Morrison is taking his time to get it just right. In the down time, I'm re-reading Doom Patrol to get my fix.

Fake Pat
07-04-2009, 06:59 AM
I am more excited for Multiversity than anything else right now. I wish it were coming sooner, but it sounds like Morrison is taking his time to get it just right. In the down time, I'm re-reading Doom Patrol to get my fix.

I'm extremely interested in it, but right now there's nothing I want more than the rest of Quitely's B&R issues.

Unless they actively try to make #3 terrible, I'm ready to call this first arc an instant classic. I recently re-read E for Extinction and this B&R arc is already blowing that story away.

Foggy's Pal
07-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm extremely interested in it, but right now there's nothing I want more than the rest of Quitely's B&R issues.

Unless they actively try to make #3 terrible, I'm ready to call this first arc an instant classic. I recently re-read E for Extinction and this B&R arc is already blowing that story away.

I haven't read that, but I will now. Thanks P.

Fake Pat
07-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I haven't read that, but I will now. Thanks P.

:thumb:

It's the first arc in Morrison's X-Men run, the only one Quitely does all the art for, and (unfortunately) it's pretty much all downhill after that.

Foggy's Pal
07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I may pick those up at the Chicago Con. Have they collaborated on any other books besides ASS, WE3, B&R, New X-Men?

Fake Pat
07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I may pick those up at the Chicago Con. Have they collaborated on any other books besides ASS, WE3, B&R, New X-Men?

There's also Flex Mentallo and a short story they did for (i think) a Weird War Tales Vertigo thing.

That's about it.

Foggy's Pal
07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
There's also Flex Mentallo and a short story they did for (i think) a Weird War Tales Vertigo thing.

That's about it.

Is there a different Flex Mentallo from the one that appears in Doom Patrol?

MK2000
07-04-2009, 11:20 PM

That's about it.

There's also the final issue of The Invisibles.

MK2000
07-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Is there a different Flex Mentallo from the one that appears in Doom Patrol?

I guess it kinda is, although they make one offhand reference to the Doom Patrol issues.

Ray G.
07-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I'm actually holding out hope that Quitely might be able to pull off one of the later Multiversity issues.

And the idea of FQ being able to draw as fast as Bagley is too wonderful for me to even imagine.

I'm pretty certain he'll be doing the grand finale of that one. I can't see Grant letting anyone else.

I'm pretty sure we'll also be seeing Cameron Stewart and JH Williams III on an issue each. Maybe Doug Mahnke.

Fake Pat
07-05-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm pretty certain he'll be doing the grand finale of that one. I can't see Grant letting anyone else.

I'm pretty sure we'll also be seeing Cameron Stewart and JH Williams III on an issue each. Maybe Doug Mahnke.

I dunno. If it's oversized I just don't think he'll have the time.

hamgravy
07-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Reborn #1 VS. Batman & Robin#2:

For two books dealing with sidekicks taking on the mantle of their mentor, B&R has WIN! written all over it and points to all of the flaws in "Reborn."

- I really want to like Bucky as Cap and for all intents and purposes he SHOULD be a Pulp Badass. Instead we've been treated to endless bootgazing, trapped in orbit around the death and legacy of Steve Rogers. In contrast, Dick actually screws up with serious consequences (dead cops, Gordon's loss of faith, Robin's early exit) and only allows himself 30 minutes to feel sorry for himself. Alfred replies that he has even less time than that.

- We've yet to see the outcome for Dick, but, his first outing was greeted with a new Rogue's Gallery and an MO that suggests he will be "performing" and improving upon Bruce's Batman. After the prolonged end to the Red Skull arc, Bucky faced a foe mired in his WW2 past and ends up donning his Winter Soldier get-up. Again. Now we're back to more Steve as plot, front and center.

- Whereas "Unstuck in Time" may work as a device for a character that was killed by a god using "The Omega Sanction," it undoes all that was great about "The Death of Captain America." As a reader, losing Cap to a point blank gunshot by a real gun seemed so anti-gimmick, anti-comic book that it made a real impact on me. The assassination was made even more grisly by the fact that The Red Skull made his GF pull the trigger. NOW, we discover that it was a magic gun and was part of a bigger plan. Any long-term comic reader has always wanted the villain to just pull the trigger on their hero rather than cackling and revealing their plot (just happened AGAIN in this week's "Iron Man") only to be foiled by some Deus Ex Machina.

Bru claims its not a Deus Ex Machina because he had always planned for it. My problem is that I know Brubaker can write, BUT, he may be a terrible self-editor if he had always planned for the time gun and he doesn't realize to drop it in favor of what made his story work with fans and non-comic readers in the first place.

- I want to read "Batman & Robin!" It is a direct response to the "road to realism" that Marvel has traveled down since Bendis' DD. It used to be fresh and had its place. Now, Marvel is no longer winning my dollars since the dampness of Dark Reign and I find myself loving the bright light of comics displayed in "Batman & Robin" and the celebration of art in "Batwoman/Detective."

I know that every era has a particular tone but Marvel has played the paramilitary noir angle for all it's worth and all of the books are suffering for it. I realize how it might sound like a contradiction to decry realism and enjoy comic "POP" but ask that "Reborn" follow the rules it had set up in "Death of." I guess my observation is that you can't have both in the same story (street-level assassination and time gun) without one negating the other and killing the inherent drama or fun.

totalsellout
07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
it's probabley easier to write robin taking up the mantle since brubaker wrote the first draft for him.

i don't want to knock b&r since i havent read it, but it should not be used to defame a cap story that really did do it first.

Captain Sensation
07-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #1 wins the "worst anatomy since Cap Breasts" award..

There's one particular panel that I literally could not believe got past editorial.

Deadpool's AIM contact is bent over and you can see underboobage.. the trouble is, he head is angled at a >90 degree direction. It's like someone said "No wait, we need to see her face" and didn't bother fixing the rest of the drawing. It doesn't help that the colorist tagged the elbow the same color as the shirt, which kind of illustrates how awful the pose is.

Anyways, fun book, I'll see if I can get a scan of it.. everyone needs to see this thing.

went back and bought the issue based on what you were saying. The issue was passable, the reprints werent needed, oh well, i know, "shut up, its deadpool" :surrend:

andrew french
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Didn't Frank Quitely do an awesome comic strip about Irish immigrants or something to that effect? I don't remember if Morrison wrote it, but I remember reading it online last year.

Fake Pat
07-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Didn't Frank Quitely do an awesome comic strip about Irish immigrants or something to that effect? I don't remember if Morrison wrote it, but I remember reading it online last year.

Yeah, he drew one, but it was written by Millar.

I think it was in 411, maybe.

dexterwee
07-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I still like Hitch art on Capt. America:REBORN.
I don'y think it a rush job. It's just the way the ink was done. ;)

dexterwee
07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I still like Hitch art on Capt. America:REBORN.
I don'y think it a rush job. It's just the way the ink was done. :)

Slewo.O
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Reborn #1 VS. Batman & Robin#2:

For two books dealing with sidekicks taking on the mantle of their mentor, B&R has WIN! written all over it and points to all of the flaws in "Reborn."

- I really want to like Bucky as Cap and for all intents and purposes he SHOULD be a Pulp Badass. Instead we've been treated to endless bootgazing, trapped in orbit around the death and legacy of Steve Rogers. In contrast, Dick actually screws up with serious consequences (dead cops, Gordon's loss of faith, Robin's early exit) and only allows himself 30 minutes to feel sorry for himself. Alfred replies that he has even less time than that.

- We've yet to see the outcome for Dick, but, his first outing was greeted with a new Rogue's Gallery and an MO that suggests he will be "performing" and improving upon Bruce's Batman. After the prolonged end to the Red Skull arc, Bucky faced a foe mired in his WW2 past and ends up donning his Winter Soldier get-up. Again. Now we're back to more Steve as plot, front and center.

- Whereas "Unstuck in Time" may work as a device for a character that was killed by a god using "The Omega Sanction," it undoes all that was great about "The Death of Captain America." As a reader, losing Cap to a point blank gunshot by a real gun seemed so anti-gimmick, anti-comic book that it made a real impact on me. The assassination was made even more grisly by the fact that The Red Skull made his GF pull the trigger. NOW, we discover that it was a magic gun and was part of a bigger plan. Any long-term comic reader has always wanted the villain to just pull the trigger on their hero rather than cackling and revealing their plot (just happened AGAIN in this week's "Iron Man") only to be foiled by some Deus Ex Machina.

Bru claims its not a Deus Ex Machina because he had always planned for it. My problem is that I know Brubaker can write, BUT, he may be a terrible self-editor if he had always planned for the time gun and he doesn't realize to drop it in favor of what made his story work with fans and non-comic readers in the first place.

- I want to read "Batman & Robin!" It is a direct response to the "road to realism" that Marvel has traveled down since Bendis' DD. It used to be fresh and had its place. Now, Marvel is no longer winning my dollars since the dampness of Dark Reign and I find myself loving the bright light of comics displayed in "Batman & Robin" and the celebration of art in "Batwoman/Detective."

I know that every era has a particular tone but Marvel has played the paramilitary noir angle for all it's worth and all of the books are suffering for it. I realize how it might sound like a contradiction to decry realism and enjoy comic "POP" but ask that "Reborn" follow the rules it had set up in "Death of." I guess my observation is that you can't have both in the same story (street-level assassination and time gun) without one negating the other and killing the inherent drama or fun.
I party agree about the end result but he did set it up. There wasn't really any other way to re-introduce Cap since he was shot dead. Though I do agree Bucky's been too mired in his past as a Cap so far. But I have faith he'll work through.

Though I don't think it's fair to smack down Bru on the whole time travel thing when Bruce is probably gonna come back the same way given that he's stuck in time.

hamgravy
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't think you can excuse Brubaker for the Time Travel fix just because Batman's going to come back the same way. I understand the need for SOME resolution and the metaphor of Steve battling time but at least we saw Bruce initially blasted by magic eyebeams and not an ordinary handgun.

Batman's story merits a sci-fi explanation, I would prefer it if Bru didn't have to retro-fit his story to include one.

The whole product felt rushed to me (Hitch's figures were contorted like melted wax) while "Batman & Robin" and "Detective" are the highest quality of superhero comic bookery.

I wouldn't even care so much if the set-up (both Winter Soldier and Death of) wasn't as outstanding as it was and the hype wasn't at a fever pitch.

Slewo.O
07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't think you can excuse Brubaker for the Time Travel fix just because Batman's going to come back the same way. I understand the need for SOME resolution and the metaphor of Steve battling time but at least we saw Bruce initially blasted by magic eyebeams and not an ordinary handgun.

Batman's story merits a sci-fi explanation, I would prefer it if Bru didn't have to retro-fit his story to include one.

The whole product felt rushed to me (Hitch's figures were contorted like melted wax) while "Batman & Robin" and "Detective" are the highest quality of superhero comic bookery.

I wouldn't even care so much if the set-up (both Winter Soldier and Death of) wasn't as outstanding as it was and the hype wasn't at a fever pitch.
It's not really retro-fitting if he planned it ahead in the first place. Don't forget he was initially going to bring back Steve within six months. We had the clues early on and he did clue in the assassination was mired in alot of contradiction and shadow.

Xander Boune
07-06-2009, 06:41 AM
it's probabley easier to write robin taking up the mantle since brubaker wrote the first draft for him.

i don't want to knock b&r since i havent read it, but it should not be used to defame a cap story that really did do it first.

Because Cap was the the first super hero mantle that was ever passed down to a sidekick, right?

hamgravy
07-06-2009, 07:14 AM
It's not really retro-fitting if he planned it ahead in the first place. Don't forget he was initially going to bring back Steve within six months. We had the clues early on and he did clue in the assassination was mired in alot of contradiction and shadow.

I'm not sure I buy that argument either.

Even if it had been planned for and there was always intent for a grander conspiracy, there was little to no suggestion that the shooting was nothing but a bullet to the gut, blood on the stairs assassination. It's just not on the page in a way that would allow for it.

From what I've seen so far, Bru has not earned the "magic gun" angle and to use "Here's what REALLY happened...!!!" in order to cheat death is the cheapest of narrative devices. As a fan of comics and reader of this story, he just lost me by changing the rules I agreed to play with. There's nothing inherently wrong with a magic gun, there just needs to be some indication of it in the first act if you're going to pull it out again in the third.

If it was a movie, people would be walking out of the theater. Imagine trying to tell this story to a non-comic reader (as I did with my dad) and watch their reaction when you finally get to the point where you have to say "but he wasn't really killed at all, he was unstuck in time." At least with Batman we were told right away that it was an unnatural "death."

SHENANIGANS!

totalsellout
07-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Because Cap was the the first super hero mantle that was ever passed down to a sidekick, right?

ok, you dont see any similarities between the batman story and the cap one? i'm not saying it's the first time something like this happened, but the original post was using the similarities to knock the cap story. it has it's weaknesses, but it's easy to see the weaknesses in the cap version and then do a better job of it afterwards. read some of bendis' comments about getting ultimate spiderman after someone else failed at it. he looked at what the last guy did, corrected mistakes and made it better.

Xander Boune
07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
ok, you dont see any similarities between the batman story and the cap one? i'm not saying it's the first time something like this happened, but the original post was using the similarities to knock the cap story. it has it's weaknesses, but it's easy to see the weaknesses in the cap version and then do a better job of it afterwards. read some of bendis' comments about getting ultimate spiderman after someone else failed at it. he looked at what the last guy did, corrected mistakes and made it better.

I don't think either story influenced the other. I don't think that Brubaker's decision to replace Captain America had anything to do with the idea of Grant removing Batman. I similarly don't think that Brubaker stole the man out of time angle from Morrison's Batman. The kind of stories and tone of each are completely different. If somebody wants to compare the executions of their death or rebirth stories, that's fine. But I think implying that Grant Morrison was taking notes from Brubaker's Winter Soldier stuff to write Dick replacing Batman (a story which first happened over 10 years prior to Brubaker's Cap stuff) is baseless.

Jef UK
07-06-2009, 07:45 AM
That's not just Hitch art on Reborn. Jackson Guice did more than inks, it seems. Maybe "finishes"? At least the credit boxes aren't dividing up any labor, iirc.

hamgravy
07-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Fair point. And not too hard to believe since Morrison's MO seems to be to write Batman in the vein of the anti-Marvel, anti-Modern Era, return to superhero POP.

And his delivery is not perfect either. Unless they are there as a foil to this intention, I'm finding the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 foes to be at odds with the rest of the book. But, it makes for a colorful collision.

Len Snark
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I just got last week's comics from DCBS yesterday night and I can see why there was all the hype for Batman & Robin. Holy crap, that was great.

Reviews
JONAH HEX # 45: I've decided to drop this book, not from lack of quality but because I've just got too many books. This issue almost made me reconsider the fact that I haven't pre-ordered the rest of this very compelling storyline. I don't like the use of rape as a plot element, but that seems to be a recurring element of this book so I guess I'm stuck with it.

GREEK STREET # 1: Pretentious crap. This is an example of Sasha's theory on literary merit being taken to its extreme--let's do a crime comic with characters based on Greek myth and make some obvious references and some obscure ones! What a blast to read...for a lit graduate student. As for me, my favorite part was when Eddie screwed his mom and I didn't even like that part that much.

REBORN # 1: Why is this not in the pages of Captain America? It's a direct continuation of the story! It annoys me that they feel they have to make a mini-series instead of making it part of the storyline. Batman: Year One was part of the regular Bat-Run and we were fine with it; why does Marvel have to be special? The story was awesome because I love Brubaker and he can do no wrong. I love the "Doom Tech" element and feel like it's a nice payoff for a great story. The only problem with it (which may be resolved before all is said and done) is that I'm concerned Bucky Cap will become a supporting character and that's just not acceptable. I hated the idea of Bucky returning and I've grown to not just like but love him. I hope Bru does right for him.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN # 15: This is the first time I have felt any fatigue from the length of this monster story. Please return to a status quo--any status quo at this point. I'm riveted but I'm done with the suspense and need a payoff. Also, what's up with the Pepper relationship? Did Tony forget that she is a ginger too?

CHEW # 2: Weird and awesome. Lots of fun. No complaints and nothing but interest and fascination on my part. I worry about the title's ability to sustain a long-term series, but I'm sticking with it until it gives me reason to doubt.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS # 38: "Blackest Night" is successfully both meeting my expectations for the current storyline and hyping me up for the future. The Guardians get more and more dickish with each new law in the Book of Oa and one wonders if they are being manipulated by Scar or just acting out some sort of prophecy.

FINAL CRISIS AFTERMATH RUN #3: After two insane issues, the Human Flame settles down and tries to find a plot. I suspect we'll see Immortus (isn't that an alternate reality Kang over in Marvel?) and his awesome strikeforce of misfits--Brown Recluse is a fantastic character. It's also nice how every issue features the Human Flame being reminded that he is a miserable loser by some villain from the Flash or Batman rogue gallery.

IRREDEEMABLE # 4: The weakest issue of the series so far is simply a setup for the coming storm and it is great. If Superman goes bad, the good go looking for Lex Luthor. Makes sense to me.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE # 1: Good start but it's paced for the trade and I don't just want appetizers, I want a main course.

BATMAN & ROBIN # 2 (BEST OF THE WEEK): Everyone else already said how this is a great issue and it is. Everything works.

Cth
07-24-2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks to NickT for the scan.. here you go!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/ReaperFett/AnatomyForCth.jpg