PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] Captain America: Reborn - Official Spoilers thread!!!

Jonny Z
07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
So what did you all think of Steve Rogers trip to oxford to meet Daniel farraday? I was soooooo glad he got penny's number at the end. But will he remember it for all those years?

:)

anyway, solid first ish. I know Lost wasnt thr first thing to use this whole time travel motiff.

I like that we get the answer right away as to how Steve is still alive and that the heroes are trying to find a way to get him back. And of course Norman osborn is in the way which makes for nice conflict. Who will be thr one to bring him back and what will it mean for whoever does?

modungo
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
The line "Steve Rogers is unstuck in time" made me happy in a way few lines in a comic have. It was a cheap, easy and completely AWESOME reference.

Jason California
07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
So that is how they are doing it.

Jim T.
07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I barely recall the time portal thing so the explanation left me scratching my head.

Rob Helmerichs
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
What do you get when you cross Babylon Squared with The Constant?

At least they referenced both!

rwsmith
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Pretty lame way to bring Steve back IMO. At least it seems that way so far. Hopefully there's a cool twist coming that will make me think otherwise.

greg donovan
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
i thought it was a great idea.

cant wait to see how it plays out.

Bandit Chimera
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
flipped through it at the store but wasn't that impressed. (plus i really don't want to buy another 3.99 comic I already get most of marvels 3.99 books for some silly reason) I really hope that when he comes back (Steve) that he's the head of New Shield or something because if Bucky is back to being a sideliner I'm done with this Bru's Cap.

Nick Spencer
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the "unstuck in time" thing put a HUGE smile on my face. Enjoyed this book a lot.

The Goddamn Schweitz!
07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
The thing that I found most interesting was how Cap's helmet was drawn in the flashback to WWII. Interesting little retcon there possibly...or is he in an ultimate universe dimension? Really enjoyed the first issue and excited to see where it goes from here.

Heh, I'm such a nerd, I was listening to John Williams Superman score when reading this...epic. Especially when they got off the boats in the beginning, the music had just gotten into the first big fanfare. Sigh...such a nerd.

Fake Pat
07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
flipped through it at the store but wasn't that impressed. (plus i really don't want to buy another 3.99 comic I already get most of marvels 3.99 books for some silly reason) I really hope that when he comes back (Steve) that he's the head of New Shield or something because if Bucky is back to being a sideliner I'm done with this Bru's Cap.

Me neither.

They're gonna ruin Hitch if they don't stop running him into the ground. He got to be a big name because they gave him the time to do his stuff right.

Dr. Chaos
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
A moment of silence for the wings on Captain America's helmet if you will..

*bows head*

:sad:

Foolish Mortal
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah the Lost writers were totally the first ones to come up with the idea of a soldier who is unstuck in time.

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five

THWIP!
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
The thing that I found most interesting was how Cap's helmet was drawn in the flashback to WWII. Interesting little retcon there possibly...or is he in an ultimate universe dimension? Really enjoyed the first issue and excited to see where it goes from here.

Heh, I'm such a nerd, I was listening to John Williams Superman score when reading this...epic. Especially when they got off the boats in the beginning, the music had just gotten into the first big fanfare. Sigh...such a nerd.

Speaking of nerd (Me), Bucky wasn't Cap's superhero sidekick in the Ultimate Universe. He was just a photographer or something like that.

Kefky
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah the Lost writers were totally the first ones to come up with the idea of a soldier who is unstuck in time.

;)

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? Bunch of uncultured savages. :nonono2:

Anyway, I liked this, even though I'm already getting a "good story that shouldn't have been an event" type of vibe from it. And Hitch's art really didn't impress me either.

Jonny Z
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM

;)

i know- but Lost was the most recent. and The Constant is probably one of the best episodes of Lost.

but yeah, i know Slaughterhouse 5 did this first. there was a whole discussion about it when Lost did it :)

so back to the issue, I have a feeling it's gonna be Osborn that frees Cap for the purposes of controlling him and there will be a whole ordeal with that

Foolish Mortal
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
i know- but Lost was the most recent. and The Constant is probably one of the best episodes of Lost.

but yeah, i know Slaughterhouse 5 did this first. there was a whole discussion about it when Lost did it :)
Yes, I know. I was part of that discussion. :p

Jew Mafia
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I liked it well enough. I kept waiting for Steve to pull a Sam Beckett and say "Oh boy"

Seemed like they wanted to put a real emphasis on the space part of the whole time/space thing.

Can't wait to see what the original Skull plan was going to be. There must have been a pretty epic plot to use Steve in some fashion rather than just outright kill him.

Zack_Hunter
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM

so back to the issue, I have a feeling it's gonna be Osborn that frees Cap for the purposes of controlling him and there will be a whole ordeal with that

Steve wouldn't allow that to happen, remember when mariah hill tried to order him around in civil war #1?

Jonny Z
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Steve wouldn't allow that to happen, remember when mariah hill tried to order him around in civil war #1?

yeah, but i feel there will still be a struggle there. so far, Norman has been pretty good about getting what he wants.

i'm having a brain fart... what is the deal with Steve's body right now? I can't remember where it was last seen- is it still in the arctic?

also, if Steve isn't dead, who was Thor talking to when he talked to Cap's spirit?

Foolish Mortal
07-01-2009, 06:06 PM

And also the 'Cap No More' storyline as well. Steve refused to be used as a pawn by anyone.

Zack_Hunter
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
yeah, but i feel there will still be a struggle there. so far, Norman has been pretty good about getting what he wants.

i'm having a brain fart... what is the deal with Steve's body right now? I can't remember where it was last seen- is it still in the arctic?

also, if Steve isn't dead, who was Thor talking to when he talked to Cap's spirit?

The body was being guarded by top men....sorry couldn't resist. It was being watched over by atleanteans I believe.

And no clue on that...maybe we'll get an explanation by the end of the mini? Because I loved that moment.

Zack_Hunter
07-01-2009, 06:27 PM
And also the 'Cap No More' storyline as well. Steve refused to be used as a pawn by anyone.

Also the Mark Waid run which I am currently reading had some perfect examples of this. Though Cap No more is probably part of that? I'm not done with it yet.

Foolish Mortal
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Also the Mark Waid run which I am currently reading had some perfect examples of this. Though Cap No more is probably part of that? I'm not done with it yet.

No it was from Mark Gruenwald's run. (Captain America issues 332 to 350)

It was when the Commission on Superhuman Affairs declares that the "Captain America" identity is the property of the U.S. government, and that if Steve was to continue to be Captain America, he'd have to answer directly to them.

Steve refused, and turned over the shield and costume to the Commission. It was then that John Walker was introduced, and he became the new Cap.

In the finale to the storyline, there is a terrific confrontation scene with Steve and the Red Skull, which the Skull remarks on how Steve refused to surrender his freedom no matter the price.

jamestolliver
07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
So it looks like Marvel and DC both independently came up with the idea of having main character become unstuck in time. That's kind of cool.

hellblazer72
07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Me neither.

They're gonna ruin Hitch if they don't stop running him into the ground. He got to be a big name because they gave him the time to do his stuff right.

i'm pretty sure hitch wanted to work on reborn and not him being told to do it.

Raphael J
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
A great start. I'm not a huge fan of the coloring, but the rest of the issue was an exceptional start to the mini.

Am I the only one who thought that the earlier moments in the series, with Steve misremembering how certain events happened, are the earliest seeds for this mini/the story of his return?

Evan the Shaggy
07-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Two things that need to be explained, I'm sure they will but still:

1.) They watched his corpse turn back into plain old Steve Rogers. They left it to sink beneath the ocean. I'm confused about the time thing, do they mean his spirit?

2.) Speaking of his spirit, Thor talked to Cap's ghost in a recent issue.

HOOKS
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Am I the only one who thought that the earlier moments in the series, with Steve misremembering how certain events happened, are the earliest seeds for this mini/the story of his return?

As someone who recently re-read the Omnibus, I thought the same thing.

Very cool how everything is coming to a great conclusion.

greg donovan
07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
As someone who recently re-read the Omnibus, I thought the same thing.

Very cool how everything is coming to a great conclusion.

i think it is time to dig out my old cap issues and do some re reading.

Vonn Hennigar
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm honestly not sure what the fucks going on :?

What's the Red Skull's plan exactly? Why is Steve Quantum Leaping? Time Bullets?

Bah!

Ed Brubaker
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
So it looks like Marvel and DC both independently came up with the idea of having main character become unstuck in time. That's kind of cool.

Seriously not to be defensive, because I haven't read Final Crisis yet... but from what Fraction explained to me, it's more like Batman was sent back in time to the stone age or something. That's completely different than what's happening to Steve. He's like a needle skipping on the record of his own life.

Also, it's me and Morrison on the "ideas" front as it were, not Marvel and DC, they just own the characters, they don't tell us what to write. Not if we're good, at least.

Spidey616
07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Anyone else notice the giant Cap robot in Hank Pym's lab? Looks like he's working on his own "American Son" project. From the guy who created Ultron and Salvation I, that doesn't bode well :scared:

jamestolliver
07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Seriously not to be defensive, because I haven't read Final Crisis yet... but from what Fraction explained to me, it's more like Batman was sent back in time to the stone age or something. That's completely different than what's happening to Steve. He's like a needle skipping on the record of his own life.

Also, it's me and Morrison on the "ideas" front as it were, not Marvel and DC, they just own the characters, they don't tell us what to write. Not if we're good, at least.

Indeed. I wasn't implying that Marvel or DC wrote the stories, just that I assume the ideas concerning time will reverberate throughout the Marvel and DC universe.

I loved the book. Great stuff.

The idea isn't same but I find it interesting that both you and Morrison independently came up with the idea of a main character lost in time with the sidekick taking over the title role. Not the same at all but both marginally involve time and legacy. I just thought that was cool and that's all. :)

jamestolliver
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
A great start. I'm not a huge fan of the coloring, but the rest of the issue was an exceptional start to the mini.

Interesting. I actually convince my mom to read my Captain America omnibus. When she's done, I'm definitely going to give it another read though/

Ed Brubaker
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Wait, are you saying that Dick Grayson is the new Batman, too? :mad:

We did that a year and a half ago. I call dibs!

Kidding.

:surrend:

jamestolliver
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
With Batman being back in time and Steve unstuck, I think this would be a great time for a wacky silver age-esque crossover!

greg donovan
07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Anyone else notice the giant Cao robot in Hank Pym's lab? Looks like he's working on his own "American Son" project. From the guy who created Ultron and Salvation I, that doesn't bode well :scared:

is that the CAP robot from Millar's first few FF issues?

i noticed that too.

greg donovan
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm honestly not sure what the fucks going on :?

What's the Red Skull's plan exactly? Why is Steve Quantum Leaping? Time Bullets?

Bah!

that is waht makes it so damn awesome! i cant wait to read waht happens next. I WANT IT NOW! please.

The Zevad
07-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Dude I'm totally loving this. Also that line you used to describe Steve's predicament reminds me of something Daniel Faraday said on Lost. I love the concept of "unstuck in time." Love it. Also it takes the whole Cap is a man out of his time to a new level. :) Now excuse me while I weap over Daniel Faraday's ultimate fate. MWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAA :cry: DANIEL NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Chaos
07-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone else notice the giant Cap robot in Hank Pym's lab? Looks like he's working on his own "American Son" project. From the guy who created Ultron and Salvation I, that doesn't bode well :scared:
For a minute there I thought it was "Cap" from Millar's run on F4 but I doubt Allyssa would hand over one of her hideously expensive toys to him.

Jonny Z
07-02-2009, 05:51 AM
i just hope that when Steve comes back to the Marvel U, Bucky gets just as much face time!!!! Bru's made him one of my favorite characters now

totalsellout
07-03-2009, 05:41 AM
i'm gonna try for a no-prize here on thor talking to cap's spirit.

steve is unstuck in time. right now steve can be dead, 14 years old, in suspended animation, on the secret wars planet, anywhere, anytime he has ever been. even the future, where presumabley he will one day die (well, maybe someday). and i guess since thor tried to conjure up steve's spirit, he conjured steve unstuck in time in the future where/when he is really dead.

right?

totalsellout
07-03-2009, 05:42 AM

i saw it and wonder if that is the salvation 2 he is working on.

Jef UK
07-03-2009, 06:48 AM
I loved how his wings and "A" were stenciled on during the Normandy invasion. And that's not what Ultimate Cap's helmet looked like in their WW2 scenes anyway. In the Ultimates scenes, he's just wearing a helmet over a modified domino mask.

rogerio
07-03-2009, 08:17 AM
i just hope that when Steve comes back to the Marvel U, Bucky gets just as much face time!!!! Bru's made him one of my favorite characters now
Bucky is a great character but I miss him as Winter Soldier.:)

Patrick King
07-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Bucky is a great character but I miss him as Winter Soldier.:)
Maybe once Steve comes back and reclaims the title, Bucky will go back on his own as the Winter Soldier.

rogerio
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Maybe once Steve comes back and reclaims the title, Bucky will go back on his own as the Winter Soldier.

...With long hair and brainwashed again?:)

Patrick King
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
...With long hair and brainwashed again?:)
Heh, well he did re-don his Winter Soldier gear when he went into China a few issues back so as to distance that particular mission from Captain America.

rogerio
07-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Heh, well he did re-don his Winter Soldier gear when he went into China a few issues back so as to distance that particular mission from Captain America.
yeah, I loved that story.
I reallly would like to see a Winter Soldier "The Lost Years" someday...:)

abuddah
07-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Slaughterhouse Five is such a classic that I'm having trouble with its concepts being appropriated. LOST added the idea of a constant to the time skipping concepts which made the swipe feel earned. LOST also has a theme of incorporating a myriad of sci-fi concepts into the mysterious island. So far Reborn has yet to add anything to being unstuck in time. I hope Mr. Brubaker has an interesting wrinkle coming or else I doubt I'm going to be enjoying this series.

I agree that the art wasn't Hitch's best work. I was shocked when he was announced as the penciler when he's already on Fantastic Four

JAK
07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
great issue to kick off the story. Love the fact that lots of the exposition-y stuff was handled up front, leaves 4 issues for lots of emotional bits. And getting some of Steve's POV was a nice touch.
like others have said, especially Bru's "it's not a deus ex machina if you planned it from the beginning" line at a recent con, many of the pieces have been layed out on teh board, we're just seeing how they all fit together now.
Kudos to the entire team on an excellent start to the series.

Mylazycat
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
The line "Steve Rogers is unstuck in time" made me happy in a way few lines in a comic have. It was a cheap, easy and completely AWESOME reference.

Same here. I'm like, "Holy crap." Loved that moment, loved the issue. Captain America # 600 was my first isue of cap, now this - I'm hooked.

Foolish Mortal
07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Slaughterhouse Five is such a classic that I'm having trouble with its concepts being appropriated. LOST added the idea of a constant to the time skipping concepts which made the swipe feel earned. LOST also has a theme of incorporating a myriad of sci-fi concepts into the mysterious island. So far Reborn has yet to add anything to being unstuck in time. I hope Mr. Brubaker has an interesting wrinkle coming or else I doubt I'm going to be enjoying this series.

I agree that the art wasn't Hitch's best work. I was shocked when he was announced as the penciler when he's already on Fantastic Four
Well one aspect of Steve was the fact that he was a "man out of his time". And now in this story, it's just a new and different take on that concept.

Spidey616
07-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Cap socks it to Hitler once again in the Reborn #2 cover :D

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1246899858.jpg

Mylazycat
07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Cap socks it to Hitler once again in the Reborn #2 cover :D

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1246899858.jpg

That's all kinds of awesome right there.

Dr. Chaos
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I see he's upgraded from jaw smashing to Solid Snake neck snapping.

Slewo.O
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I see he's upgraded from jaw smashing to Solid Snake neck snapping.

"This A on my head doesn't stand for France"!

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
"This A on my head doesn't stand for France"!

Welcome to 5 years ago. sheesh! time to get new material folks! :cool:

Slewo.O
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Welcome to 5 years ago. sheesh! time to get new material folks! :cool:

I only read that comic for the first time a few days ago give me a break. Or "Punching people in the face is so Golden Age this is the 21st Century bitch!"

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I only read that comic for the first time a few days ago give me a break. Or "Punching people in the face is so Golden Age this is the 21st Century bitch!"

Well alright then :)

Has it been revealed why WWII Cap looks like Ultimate Cap with an A on his helmet?

Also, this is nitpicky but, I don't know, I think Cap should've been punching Hitler head-on, rather than grabbing him from behind like that. That feels sneaky.

Now mind you, I'm not one of those people who thought Optimus shouldn't be shooting Decepticons when they're down. But this is Cap! Plus if he was punching Hitler from the front then it'd be more of an homage to the Golden Age cover.

Foolish Mortal
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Has it been revealed why WWII Cap looks like Ultimate Cap with an A on his helmet?

Also, this is nitpicky but, I don't know, I think Cap should've been punching Hitler head-on, rather than grabbing him from behind like that. That feels sneaky.

Now mind you, I'm not one of those people who thought Optimus shouldn't be shooting Decepticons when they're down. But this is Cap! Plus if he was punching Hitler from the front then it'd be more of an homage to the Golden Age cover.
He doesn't look like Ultimate Cap. He didn't have wings on his helmet.

He's probably grabbing Hitler from behind because he was likely running away from Cap. :lol:

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
He doesn't look like Ultimate Cap. He didn't have wings on his helmet.

He's probably grabbing Hitler from behind because he was likely running away from Cap. :lol:

Silly Adolf.

Manolis
07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
is getting a lift back on Bruce's cavemobile then?

NickT
07-06-2009, 03:07 PM

He doesn't particualrly IMO. Ultimate Cap doesn't have a spandex mask, nor flared booties, nor painted wings. Now look at Captain America #1:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/captain-america/1-2.jpg

Flared booties, similar mask, wings.

To me Reborn Cap is more of an update of Cap #1 than Ultimate Cap. Same helmet but with a chinstrap (Which is a logical update) and the wings now painted on, costume is otherwise basically the same except for the spandex under the helmet (And before you say the shield, it was round in #2).

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I've just been schooled by NickT. It was an honor.

Mylazycat
07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
What's this about Bruce/Batman being sent back to the stone age? When and where did this happen?

Dr. Chaos
07-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Why is it that the wings were removed in the Ultimate version and now the brand new Steve?

Is it really something that bothers people? It's actually one of the parts of Captain America's design I was pretty fond of.

Foolish Mortal
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Why is it that the wings were moved in the Ultimate version and now the brand new Steve?

Is it really something that bothers people? It's actually one of the parts of Captain America's design I was pretty fond of.
Because they wanted to have some divergence in the looks and character of Ultimate Cap from 616 Cap.

And the Cap in Reborn has wings on his helmet.

Dr. Chaos
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Because they wanted to have some divergence in the looks and character of Ultimate Cap from 616 Cap.

And the Cap in Reborn has wings on his helmet.
Poorly painted on graffiti wings. Not the same thing.

I'm talking about the ones Bucky and a pre bullet riddled Steve used to strut around with. The ones that were more like superhero hood ornaments.

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Poorly painted on graffiti wings. Not the same thing.

I'm talking about the ones Bucky and a pre bullet riddled Steve used to strut around with. The ones that were more like superhero hood ornaments.

I can't recall, but did the WWII flashback Cap in Bru's run have wings or painted-on wings?

Spidey616
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
What's this about Bruce/Batman being sent back to the stone age? When and where did this happen?

Final Crisis #7

Slewo.O
07-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I can't recall, but did the WWII flashback Cap in Bru's run have wings or painted-on wings?

Yeah he did. As for why Cap is missing the wings your guess is as good as mine and I preferred Cap punching Hitler head-on mind you.

Although if I remember correctly Brubaker said that would only be in stuff like D-Day he'd wear something like the helmet.

WhindamPryce
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah he did. As for why Cap is missing the wings your guess is as good as mine and I preferred Cap punching Hitler head-on mind you.

:heart:

Foolish Mortal
07-13-2009, 05:51 AM
From an interview with Brubaker at Newsarama.

The Roots of Reborn (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070908-Bru-Reborn.html)

But my original plan was to only have him be dead for six issues. It wasn't until after the story started being written that it just kept opening up and I kept seeing new possibilities. It wasn't originally my plan to have Bucky pick up the shield, but eventually it just felt like the next step in his path to redemption. Plus, Jeph Loeb kept saying "shouldn't somebody wear a Cap costume in Cap's book?"

So for those complaining that it's too soon for Steve to come back, Bru had originally planned on him being gone for 6 issues. Be glad it lasted 2 years. :lol:

Spidey616
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Cassady Variant for Reborn #2. No Hitler headlocks, but it's still pretty good I guess....;)

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/100/1004164/captain-america-reborn-20090715060827367.jpg

rogerio
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Cap's angry!

http://marvel.com/i/content/st/8983new_storyimage8885078_full.jpg

RoShambo
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Do we know when this is being collected in a TPB or HC yet, and whether or not it'll include "Who Will Wield The Shield"(and the prelude from Marvel.com)?
Amazon has it listed as being released March, 24, 2010, but only collecting #1-5, so the info is out of date.
It'd be great if it collected all of the different variant covers, too.

EDIT: Also, is this series not being discussed very much or are there just other threads that I missed?

Spidey616
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Forgot about this thread!

Probably worth mentioning in this thread the announcement awhile ago of the mini adding a 6th issue.

RoShambo
11-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Forgot about this thread!

Probably worth mentioning in this thread the announcement awhile ago of the mini adding a 6th issue.

Yeah, how is it that in the last 3 months, nobody commented at all?

Were the issues that boring? (I'm sure that they weren't.)
Or just that mind-blowing?? :ecstatic:

Andrew
11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, how is it that in the last 3 months, nobody commented at all?

Were the issues that boring? (I'm sure that they weren't.)
Or just that mind-blowing?? :ecstatic:

I've been reading Brubaker's Cap from the beginning, being thoroughly entertained month in and month out.

And then Reborn comes along, and I find myself just not giving a shit.

Mattman
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I just the latest issue. Don't go looking for spoilers here but HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That is all.

panco
11-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I just the latest issue. Don't go looking for spoilers here but HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That is all.

What, what, whaaaaat ?

Brother Power the Gong
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Marvel's also adding a 6th issue, according to the January solits.

EDIT: ME C SOME1 SAD THIS ALLREDEE.

THWIP!
11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
New ish out today?

Jef UK
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice cliffhanger, but the details of the sci-fi are pretty groan inducing for me.

The nanites in her blood will pull his consciousness out of the time stream!

It wouldn't bother me if this were a different Marvel title, but Cap seems so grounded in its own reality that it's jarring here. Personally, I'd rather have non-explanations like, "It's the fucking Cosmic Cube, how am I supposed to know how the hell it works?!" than what's been happening in Reborn.

I still like it and buy it and read it, though.

panco
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Nice cliffhanger, but the details of the sci-fi are pretty groan inducing for me.

The nanites in her blood will pull his consciousness out of the time stream!

It wouldn't bother me if this were a different Marvel title, but Cap seems so grounded in its own reality that it's jarring here.

What are you talking about?
Spoil us like a man !

Cth
11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
SPOILERS
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=294025

Easily the best issue of this so far. The first few were a bit on the slow side, but starting with #3 things picked up considerably. Looks like the second half of the series will be a lot busier.

Anyhoo, Reed and Hank (with some aid from Vision's time-shifted message) do some science stuff and exposit more about how the device works (basically, Sharon and Steve are linked and pulling towards each other), and since they have some of Sharon's blood they can do something with it. Meanwhile, New Cap, Black Widow, and Clint raid a HAMMER installation to find out where Sharon is...

Latveria, where she's rather dismayed to learn that old Johann is actually alive. They strap her into the machine and switch 'er on, which pulls Steve out of his latest jaunt (the exploding drone), ironically just as he seemed to be deciding to try and change things. Midway through the time stream he's attacked by a Skull-like apparition, and his body appears in present-day Latveria. But it's the Red Skull in the driver's seat (Skullcap?).

----

I expected that the Skull would get the body he wanted, at least temporarily. My guess, that Steve's consciousness is still floating out there, and Reed and Hank will use their bit of Sharon's blood to draw it out, after they apprehend Skullcap and co.

Really like how Brubaker handles all of the big Marvel villains in the same room. Unlike DC, these guys aren't known for being overly cooperative, and the constant sniping is well-handled (such as Doom's condescension to Zola; well, he condescends to everyone).

Hitch did a good job drawing this, though I really think he might consider using fewer double-page layouts.

Hoggie
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Over explained science based theories and comics never pan out. Just bring in Mephisto already. I have to wait till tomorrow to read this but I have been enjoying it so far. Reliving your life and having to do it all the same would suck.

Jef UK
11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't like to give people spoilers, Panco!

panco
11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't like to give people spoilers, Panco!

I understand. I just needed to be teased a bit ;-)

Hoggie
11-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I understand. I just needed to be teased a bit ;-)

There's strip clubs for that, Panco!

Brother Power the Gong
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Revisiting a classic Cap/Red Skull trope. Can't wait for the complete explanation.

Also, did anyone notice …
On the spread in which Steve is tumbling through time, there is a scene of him and Sharon holding a baby near the bottom left? The future?

Hoggie
11-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Thought this last issue was a pretty good one. I like Hitch's art so far. I am glad to see my intial guess at the Red Skulls plan came true. It will be interested to see how this gets resolved. Will Bucky supply Steve with his body to defeat the RS Cap?

RoShambo
11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Thought this last issue was a pretty good one. I like Hitch's art so far. I am glad to see my intial guess at the Red Skulls plan came true. It will be interested to see how this gets resolved. Will Bucky supply Steve with his body to defeat the RS Cap?

That would"put the toys back in the box" so to speak.
Cap would be back and Bucky would be dead again(having sacrificed his life twice).

Cap could even wear Bucky's Cap costume for a while as a tribute.

Who Will Wield The Shield could then be about Steve vs. Skull Cap, maybe.

Interesting.

Evan the Shaggy
11-06-2009, 09:34 AM
That would"put the toys back in the box" so to speak.
Cap would be back and Bucky would be dead again(having sacrificed his life twice).

Cap could even wear Bucky's Cap costume for a while as a tribute.

Who Will Wield The Shield could then be about Steve vs. Skull Cap, maybe.

Interesting.

I don't know how I feel about that idea.

Hoggie
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM

All I know is Bru hasn't let me down yet with CA.

Patrick King
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM

I agree. I like having Bucky around, he's a really interesting character.

RoShambo
11-06-2009, 01:27 PM

I agree. I like having Bucky around, he's a really interesting character.

I agree, I was just offering it as an interesting possibility.

I thought that I'd read somewhere that Mr. Brubaker was leaving Cap sometime soon, or was it just that he had the storyline planned out to #50 or so?

I can't remember for sure...

RoShambo
11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh wait.

Maybe I was thinking of this thread (from last year). (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=146814)

Andrew
11-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree, I was just offering it as an interesting possibility.

I thought that I'd read somewhere that Mr. Brubaker was leaving Cap sometime soon, or was it just that he had the storyline planned out to #50 or so?

I can't remember for sure...

He's actually made it quite clear that he'll be sticking around for a while.

RoShambo
11-06-2009, 02:21 PM
He's actually made it quite clear that he'll be sticking around for a while.

Oh wait.

Maybe I was thinking of this thread (from last year). (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=146814)

Yeah, I remembered reading that he said he was leaving in the thread that I linked to, just not that it was an April Fools' joke. :Oops:

Spidey616
11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Reborn #5 Preview Art

The Red Skull Wants You!

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043565/captain-america-reborn-20091109031323991.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043565/captain-america-reborn-20091109031241242.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043565/captain-america-reborn-20091109031336600.jpg

rogerio
11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
The penciled page is awesome.:)

Raisor
11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Good googly moogly the ratzis win!?!

America is doomed.

matthew spatola
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Hitch has been doing some great work and also some ok work on the series. I think you can tell the pages he spends a lot of time on and the ones where Guice is doing a lot of finishes. The flashback scenes, especially the ones from the 40s are killer phenomenal, best ever from Hitchy.

WilliamRichard1985
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
This story is confusing the hell out of me.I'm totally lost on all the time warp and constant stuff.

Good thing Hitch and Guice's pretty pics keep me satisfied.

Dr. Chaos
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
For some reason, I just love that Pym was walking around with pants over his uniform.

Could you imagine Batman wearing khakis over his in his downtime in the batcave?

Jim T.
11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm hoping Bru keeps things as they are for a while - having this Cap fuck with the rest of the Marvel universe seems like good times.

Hoggie
11-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow ish 5 looks like crazy town. Crossbones in the squad of MODOKs is sweet. But I don't get the new Nazi reality. If the Skull just now entered steve's body how does that effect the past? Maybe its not related, maybe Steve fucked up reliving his life and the US lost WWII? Finally, anyone else bugged by the huge overhanging brow of the Skull. I know its always been like that, but damn it's ugly.

Spidey616
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Tom Brevoort interview at IGN plus some "Who Will Wield The Shield" preview art!

Who Will Be Captain America? (http://comics.ign.com/articles/104/1043865p1.html)

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043865/captain-america-who-will-wield-the-shield-one-shot-20091110003642105.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043865/captain-america-who-will-wield-the-shield-one-shot-20091110003639839.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043865/captain-america-who-will-wield-the-shield-one-shot-20091110003809304.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043865/captain-america-who-will-wield-the-shield-one-shot-20091110003350283.jpg

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1043865/captain-america-who-will-wield-the-shield-one-shot-20091110003343127.jpg

The Goddamn Schweitz!
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Reading that interview I'm really happy they decided to take the Civil War route with Reborn and let the artist finish the job. End of the day it's much nicer to look back and see consistency in art. Bummer we won't get the story as exactly we should, but on re-read none of that will ever really matter.

Spidey616
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
A new Hitch page has made it online

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/104/1040899/the-final-days-of-dark-reign-20091118023703543.jpg

Spidey616
12-13-2009, 09:13 AM
The penultimate chapter-OUT NEXT WEEK!

Captain America: Reborn #5 PREVIEW (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=4027&disp=table)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/4027/prv4027_pg8.jpg

mario
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
DOn't read the latest issue of Iron Man!

Spidey616
01-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Awesome Hitch cover!

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/content/resized/0e9a557eda96b3fe17d7942c6afdc50a.jpg

Spidey616
01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Final issue out this week! And boy what a conclusion!

Giant Red Skull robot

Sin scarred horribly "like father like daughter"

A glimpse of a future that may be

Ultimate Lurker
01-28-2010, 04:17 AM
This really was pretty wacky, but very enjoyable. I think he was really going for a golden/silver age feel here. Especially when Hank says "A small Pym particle stream should do it!"

Howlett
01-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Just read the last issue and the Wield the Shield one-shot, and Bru's still impressing the hell out of me on Cap. My only complaint with the whole thing was Hitch's art, which I think has been getting steadily worse for a while now. I think he needs to start working on tightening his art a bit instead of going for the big splashy shots he seems to love.

Other than that, solid series and ending. I can't wait to see where things go with what Bru set up for the future too.

Foolish Mortal
01-28-2010, 06:57 AM
This really was pretty wacky, but very enjoyable. I think he was really going for a golden/silver age feel here. Especially when Hank says "A small Pym particle stream should do it!"
Yes, I enjoyed the fuck out of that last issue. And yes it did have an old school Mark Gruenwald vibe to it.

But then I can see how some people here wouldn't like that.

The most interesting part to me...was the glimpses into the future.

Were they just scenes from possible futures? Or was this an omen for things to come? Hmm.

DaveCummings
01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
My only complaint with the whole thing was Hitch's art, which I think has been getting steadily worse for a while now. I think he needs to start working on tightening his art a bit instead of going for the big splashy shots he seems to love.

You do know he loosened his art up a bit for the mini and it was more of a collaberation between him and Butch Guice, right?

According to the Sidebar interview, he was working on more than a page a day rate on that mini.

Howlett
01-28-2010, 08:03 AM
You do know he loosened his art up a bit for the mini and it was more of a collaberation between him and Butch Guice, right?

According to the Sidebar interview, he was working on more than a page a day rate on that mini.

I know he did. But even his art on FF and his recent covers have looked less than stellar. It's something I've noticed about his art since he left Ultimates.

Jef UK
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, I enjoyed the fuck out of that last issue. And yes it did have an old school Mark Gruenwald vibe to it.

But then I can see how some people here wouldn't like that.

The most interesting part to me...was the glimpses into the future.

Were they just scenes from possible futures? Or was this an omen for things to come? Hmm.

I don't think Bru would put that gun on the mantle if he didn't intend to fire it at some point.

Andrew
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM

It's not just that. His art on FF wasn't nearly as great as his Ultimates stuff either.

Foolish Mortal
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
It's not just that. His art on FF wasn't nearly as great as his Ultimates stuff either.

It's because he rushed it. His art just isn't as crisp when he tries to speed up his output.

McGill
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I love Hitch's art but i dont feel it fits well with Guice's inks.
The two variations in style just dont flow for me.

IPeacock
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
It's because he rushed it. His art just isn't as crisp when he tries to speed up his output.
I don't get that. The Authority came out on schedule and that is some of his best work.

Andrew
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM

I don't get that. The Authority came out on schedule and that is some of his best work.

This.

DaveCummings
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM

It's simple, The Authority was before he started working on The Ultimates and in FF and in Reborn is him trying to speed his art up, but keep the stylistic changes and storytelling changes that he's picked up in the 10 years since he worked on The Authority...if that makes sense at all.