PDA

View Full Version : All you kids who grew up in the 90's...

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-26-2009, 06:26 AM
You just wait!

When the lead singer of Third Eye Blind or Seven Mary Three dies you'll be upset too!

;)

Bill!
06-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Third Eye Blind sucks.

Since when was Michael Jackson not relevant in the 90's? At least the early 90's?

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-26-2009, 06:31 AM
I was recounting how my Thriller album (yes - ALBUM) was one of my prized possessions as a kid growing up. My younger co-worker decided to break my balls. I answered with the above post.

Nothin' quite like a (bad) joke that needs to be explained...

McGill
When the singer of Bare Naked Ladies dies I'll be mad.
Now that was an awesome 90's band.

Petey Parker
Stephan Jenkins is a douche (and I like Third Eye Blind)

I couldn't even tell you the name of the guy from Seven Mary Three.

McGill
06-26-2009, 06:32 AM
That's because no one liked them.

Dylan
06-26-2009, 06:33 AM
When the singer of Bare Naked Ladies dies I'll be mad.
Now that was an awesome 90's band.

:mistrust:

jason hissong
06-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Us Children of the 90s had our celebrity deity death . . . in the 90's.

Maxwell
06-26-2009, 06:36 AM
No, I won't. I'll be more sad when Paul McCartney or Jimmy Page dies.

Ashwin Pande
06-26-2009, 06:36 AM

True.

I still miss you, Freddie Mercury! :cry:

Ryudo
06-26-2009, 06:37 AM

:lol:

Kinda renders this thread pointless, doesn't it?

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
06-26-2009, 06:37 AM

Gawd, when Paul passes...that'll be too much.

THWIP!
06-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Yeah.

Adam Witt
06-26-2009, 06:41 AM

Bob Dylan, for me.

ClintP
06-26-2009, 06:47 AM
I am already depressed about Hooty dying 20+ years from now. He will be taken from us way to early.

Dark Sasha
06-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Bob Dylan, for me.

The guy from Nickelback for me.

Foolish Mortal
06-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I seem to recall Kurt Cobain's death being treated like it was one of the Beatles dying.

Ashwin Pande
06-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I think I'll only be fazed by deaths of my favorite stand-up comedians. All the musicians I love are mostly already dead.

Ashwin Pande
06-26-2009, 06:50 AM
I seem to recall Kurt Cobain's death being treated like it was one of the Beatles dying.

At the time, for his fans, it kinda was.

leviathan
06-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Seven Mary who?

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-26-2009, 06:54 AM
I think I'll only be fazed by deaths of my favorite stand-up comedians. All the musicians I love are mostly already dead.

I was just thinking about this. When Steve Martin dies, it'll probably be kind of depressing. And I'm one of those people that says "You didn't even know *celebrity name*! How do you react when somebody you know dies?"

Foolish Mortal
06-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I was just thinking about this. When Steve Martin dies, it'll probably be kind of depressing. And I'm one of those people that says "You didn't even know *celebrity name*! How do you react when somebody you know dies?"

This always seems like a silly question to ask.

If you feel empathy over someone's death, what does it matter if you actually didn't know them personally?

If you don't happen to feel empathy, cool. But if someone else does, shut the fuck up and stop trying to tell them how to feel.

leviathan
06-26-2009, 06:58 AM

My usual response to ANY celebrity death:

"Huh. I liked when they acted in/sang 'X'. Too bad. Oh well...what's for dinner?"

So...I doubt any fazing for me. I just don't care enough about anything really. I think the only death that really mattered to me was Mike Weiringo's...and that was because I used to read his blog and had e-mailed him once or twice.

Ashwin Pande
06-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Same here. I was pretty bummed when Carlin died. I think I'll be really flat out depressed if Henry Rollins died. That would really knock me on my ass.

xhondax
06-26-2009, 07:02 AM
The only person from the 90's who I'll be bummed on dying is Eddie Vedder since Kurt is already dead.

ClintP
06-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Same here. I was pretty bummed when Carlin died. I think I'll be really flat out depressed if Henry Rollins died. That would really knock me on my ass.

Can't happen. He is immortal.

thatguyfromsyracuse
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
This always seems like a silly question to ask.

If you feel empathy over someone's death, what does it matter if you actually didn't know them personally?

If you don't happen to feel empathy, cool. But if someone else does, shut the fuck up and stop trying to tell them how to feel.

Wait, now don't get me wrong, I feel empathy, and I understand other people who feel empathy. What gets me is when a celebrity dies, especially on this board, you see people putting their pictures in their sigs, avatars, etc. even though they've never made such a display about them before. It always seems kind of fake to me, but what do I know? I just mean, if the death of a person you never met affects you that much, what happens to you when somebody close to you passes? When my grandfather died, I got kind of depressed, drank a little more, and got quiet, but I won't have the same reaction when Steve Martin dies.

Maybe I'm coming off as an asshole, but it just seems odd to me, and I don't mean to offend anybody or put anybody off.

Ashwin Pande
06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
I usually do feel empathy. But not so much for Michael Jackson. If he'd died back in 95 then I would seriously have bawled my eyes out. But the guy spent the last 15 years convincing me he was a whackjob and freakshow. So I feel bad that the guy who made a lot of the songs I love died but not so much that the baby dangling, possible child molesting, putting masks on his children, mentally ill weirdo died.

Foolish Mortal
06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Wait, now don't get me wrong, I feel empathy, and I understand other people who feel empathy. What gets me is when a celebrity dies, especially on this board, you see people putting their pictures in their sigs, avatars, etc. even though they've never made such a display about them before. It always seems kind of fake to me, but what do I know? I just mean, if the death of a person you never met affects you that much, what happens to you when somebody close to you passes? When my grandfather died, I got kind of depressed, drank a little more, and got quiet, but I won't have the same reaction when Steve Martin dies.

Maybe I'm coming off as an asshole, but it just seems odd to me, and I don't mean to offend anybody or put anybody off.
I wasn't aiming my comment at you specifically. More at those who seem to get irritated by people who express empathy over a celebrity dying.

As for people suddenly putting pictures and quotes from a celebrity after they die, I don't think it's because they suddenly became a fan. Lots of people have things that they greatly enjoy, but don't drone on and on about it on the board.

Just because we don't constantly talk about specific things or people doesn't mean they're not important to us in some way.

niceguyeddie
06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
we already had Eazy-E, Tupac and Biggie die.

kylethoreau
06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Warren Zevon already died.....so there isn't anyone else left for me to worry about.

Doug
06-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Bob Dylan, for me.

Yeah, Bob for me too.

Hell, I named my second son Dylan.

Aside from Bob Dylan the only celebrity deaths that will bother me are:
Woody Allen
Martin Scorsese
John Cleese
Stephen King
Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera (although these guys are athletes and will probably out live me)