PDA

View Full Version : Did the Marvel Marketing Machine Fail?

Rod Nunley
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
This maybe is a weird question ... I honestly don't know.

What happened with Ultimate Spider-Man 133 this week? Why does everyone seem to think that it's the last issue? What started this whole fiasco? Is there going to be an Ultimate Spider-Man 134 and 135?

I hear Bendis saying that there are two more issues of the comic coming out. But are they issues 134 and 135 or are they separately named comic titles that are technically not a part of the Ultimate Spider-Man title? And if so ... why?

It just seems that here we are winding down on the end of what (I think) will be one of the defining runs on any Marvel book and Marvel Comics has made it a bit of a mess to the general public.

Again, I admit that I'm a little confused by what exactly is going on with this book ... but I suppose that's the point. Why is this not more clear? Where did Marvel (or did they even) screw things up?

Jim T.
06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Thank God we have yet another thread on this!

Gregory
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Spidey's been Dark Reigned!

TheTravis!
Most people I talk to seem to think the screw up came when they gave Ultimatum the green light.

Cactusakic
I hear Bendis saying that there are two more issues of the comic coming out. But are they issues 134 and 135 or are they separately named comic titles that are technically not a part of the Ultimate Spider-Man title? And if so ... why?

No, they are Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem #1 and #2.

All the Ultimate books are ending with Requiem books.

I do not know why.

Shwicaz
06-05-2009, 08:39 AM
after this issue. there are two ALL NEW Requim specials. ALL NEW!!

so this isn't even the last issue of this volume. its the last regular sized issue.

ta-da!

Howlett
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Spider-Man 1 - 133
Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1 - whatever

That's how the series is going. Ultimate Spider-Man is finished but continuing in a new series with a mini bridging the gap.

John Drake
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Spider-Man 1 - 133
Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1 - whatever

That's how the series is going. Ultimate Spider-Man is finished but continuing in a new series with a mini bridging the gap.

/thread.

Simps
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
ta-da!

That point is already well taken.

I think it's the disparity between Marvel completely hyping #133 as the end of the book, and Bendis saying the book isn't ending, that there's 2 specials and then the book relaunches/continues in August.

It just seems odd that the message coming from the company is so different from what the writer of the book is saying.

Ben
06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
The fact that Bendis HATES everyone that buys Ultimate Spider-Man and DEMANDED that Marvel charge a dollar more for 22 story pages to stick it to them doesn't help either!

Patton
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
It's the last issue of Ultimate Spider-Man. There's no arguing that. The two specials aren't issues of USM. They're specials.

I'm not sure why Bendis keeps saying it's not the last issue. If Marvel was to start USM over in ten years, would they start with #134 or #136 (well they'd probably start with #1 but you know what I mean)? It's just like the Old Man Logan special.

It's not the last of the story though, which should be the important information.

Jerome Gibbons
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Seems to me that it's the last issue of the volume. There are the two Requiem one-shots by Bagley and Immonen, but since they don't have the #134 and #135 numbers, they're technically more like one-shots released within this volume, rather than part of its numbered structure.

Andreas
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I wonder if they're going to renumber the book once Bendis writes his 500th issue.

Andreas

bartleby
06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Most of the people complaining the loudest seem to aware that the two REQUIEM issues are coming out this summer and that the series is being relaunched as ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN. So take that for what's it worth.

Ryudo
06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Most people I talk to seem to think the screw up came when they gave Ultimatum the green light.

You can count me in with those individuals.

Patton
06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I wonder if they're going to renumber the book once Bendis writes his 500th issue.

Andreas

I wouldn't put it past them to renumber it for 200.

I don't care either way though, just to be clear.

Jim T.
06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a marketing failure! That has everyone talking about USM! That has made everyone aware of the Requiem issues! And the new series! Oh Marvel Marketing Machine - you're so crazy! :)

Jason California
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
It's the last issue of Ultimate Spider-Man. There's no arguing that. The two specials aren't issues of USM. They're specials.

I'm not sure why Bendis keeps saying it's not the last issue. If Marvel was to start USM over in ten years, would they start with #134 or #136 (well they'd probably start with #1 but you know what I mean)? It's just like the Old Man Logan special.

It's not the last of the story though, which should be the important information.

Bendis also did not admit that the title was ending until he absolutely had to.

NickT
06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
No, they are Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem #1 and #2.

All the Ultimate books are ending with Requiem books.

I do not know why.
Probably sales.

I don't remember all this confusion over Avengers Finale though, so it's either people have got more simple over the years (;)) or they didn't market this one as well.

Andreas
06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I think the renaming to "Requiem" is totally unnecessary. Ending ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR and ULTIMATE X-MEN in the same month doesn't make it an event.

It's USM and Bendis is writing it, that's all I need to know to pick up the next issue.

Andreas

dEnny!
06-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Andreas

They won't wait that long. They'll celebrate it's 200th issue. This way they get a #1 and a #50 and then 15 issues later a #200. :D All of course will be $9.99 with four variants. ;)

TheTravis!
06-05-2009, 10:17 AM
They won't wait that long. They'll celebrate it's 200th issue. This way they get a #1 and a #50 and then 15 issues later a #200. :D All of course will be $9.99 with four variants. ;)

You'll still buy it.

tom daylight
06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Bewilderingly Marvel seems to think that sticking an #1 on the cover will increase sales. Which used to work but in recent months has only proven to do the opposite. Sad to say, specifically because I don't wish to spend $3.99 on any more 22-page comics and because this renumbering has given me a good cut-off point, I won't be buying any of the Ultimate Comics titles. It's a shame because I've followed the Ultimate line through thick and thin from the start (and it's sure been thin on some of the titles of late) and would have continued to do so but unfortunately what I regard as monetary extortion is my absolute limit. I imagine these price rises are going to break a lot of people's habits...

Dan-C
06-05-2009, 10:23 AM

No, the screw up came when Ultimatum was solicited without having at least 3 issues done already.

Taxman
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Did the Marvel Marketing Machine Fail?It sounds like they've had another massive success. They have created four "must buy" comics where only two should have existed.

Gregory
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM
It sounds like they've had another massive success. They have created four "must buy" comics where only two should have existed.

Unless, like me, readers use the shift to drop the book in a tidy storypoint. I enjoyed the book when I cam aboard, but the change in artists (it's tough to follow Immonen), frustrating scheduling delays, new title, and seeming new direction give me convenient exit from the book.

Dan-C
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Unless, like me, readers use the shift to drop the book in a tidy storypoint. I enjoyed the book when I cam aboard, but the change in artists (it's tough to follow Immonen), frustrating scheduling delays, new title, and seeming new direction give me convenient exit from the book.

Good news for you, then. The new specials have art by Bagley (if I'm not mistaken) And there's a new artist on the series, who is great.

Plus, its still a Spider Man comic. You can probably bet a pretty penny Spidey is going to show up at one point or another.

So its a win-win, really.

NickT
06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Bewilderingly Marvel seems to think that sticking an #1 on the cover will increase sales. Which used to work but in recent months has only proven to do the opposite.
I'd like to see your proof :)

Andreas
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Unless, like me, readers use the shift to drop the book in a tidy storypoint. I enjoyed the book when I came aboard, but the change in artists (it's tough to follow Immonen), frustrating scheduling delays, new title, and seeming new direction give me convenient exit from the book.

There's nothing to worry about. It's David Lafuente (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/020912-NYCC-Ult-Lafuente.html), who did the art on ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #3.

http://marvel.com/i/content/st/5659new_storyimage4862982_full.jpg

Andreas

Jason California
06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I do think it really sucks that the last issue of the series is ends on a cliff hanger.

Gregory
06-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Plus, its still a Spider Man comic.

That works for completits and diehardas. And for those folks who will let nothing deter their Spidey fix, nothing Marvel can do (or has done) will move that title from their pull list.

But given what this comic has gone through (and is about to), I go back to the original question and agree that Marvel has complicated the matter. Ultimatum occurred clumsily, and that plants the notion of spending comic money on other titles and that isn't necessarily a Marvel comic.

If I can get Bendis writing and Immonen drawing Spidey in another title -- New Avengers -- I'm happy to get my fix of that combination there. I'll move my Ultimate Spidey money to another comic.

dEnny!
06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
You'll still buy it.

Plus all four variants!

tom daylight
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd like to see your proof :)

Check chart positions for annuals, offshoot one-shots, relaunches and the like. Granted some of them are fill-ins, but not all of them.

Rod Nunley
06-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I kind of agree with who ever just posted ... I'm not thrilled that the end of the regular series ended on a cliffhanger. I would have liked a more final ending for the volume.

That being said I'll pick up the new series in trade ... just like I've always picked up the Ultimate comics.

And my question was more wondering if Marvel and Bendis caused any unnecessary confusion about the series finally and upcoming titles. Not if they were failing to sell comics.

I think it's fair to say that they aren't worried about any Spider-Man comic coming out with Brian's name on it being a good seller.

Jason California
06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I kind of agree with who ever just posted ... I'm not thrilled that the end of the regular series ended on a cliffhanger. I would have liked a more final ending for the volume.

That being said I'll pick up the new series in trade ... just like I've always picked up the Ultimate comics.

And my question was more wondering if Marvel and Bendis caused any unnecessary confusion about the series finally and upcoming titles. Not if they were failing to sell comics.

I think it's fair to say that they aren't worried about any Spider-Man comic coming out with Brian's name on it being a good seller.

I thought I was a more standout guy than whoever.

Ben
06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Bewilderingly Marvel seems to think that sticking an #1 on the cover will increase sales. Which used to work but in recent months has only proven to do the opposite. Sad to say, specifically because I don't wish to spend $3.99 on any more 22-page comics and because this renumbering has given me a good cut-off point, I won't be buying any of the Ultimate Comics titles. It's a shame because I've followed the Ultimate line through thick and thin from the start (and it's sure been thin on some of the titles of late) and would have continued to do so but unfortunately what I regard as monetary extortion is my absolute limit. I imagine these price rises are going to break a lot of people's habits...People are still more likely to buy an issue #1 for $3.99 than an issue #134 for $3.99.

Taxman
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Unless, like me, readers use the shift to drop the book in a tidy storypoint. I enjoyed the book when I cam aboard, but the change in artists (it's tough to follow Immonen), frustrating scheduling delays, new title, and seeming new direction give me convenient exit from the book.Okay if I concede all of those points, I am still of the opinion that they fall on the editorial side of the line rather than the marketing side.

Blake Sims
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
What's going to happen to the board when Powers moves to Marvel?

Taxman
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
What's going to happen to the board when Powers moves to Marvel?Ask Eric Cartman.

Rod Nunley
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought I was a more standout guy than whoever.

Look man ... I'm at work. I don't have time to be clicking back a page and shit. ;)

Joe Kalicki
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
People are still more likely to buy an issue #1 for $3.99 than an issue #134 for $3.99.

What about $3.99 for issue 133 and the reprint of an old interview?

I would drop all the Ultimate Comics after Ultimatum, but I actually dropped them after Ultimatum 2/USM 131. I couldn't wait.

bartleby
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
What about $3.99 for issue 133 and the reprint of an old interview?

I would drop all the Ultimate Comics after Ultimatum, but I actually dropped them after Ultimatum 2/USM 131. I couldn't wait.

So wait, you're complaining that you're being ripped off by a book that you weren't even going to buy in the first place?

That'd be like me complaining that NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 was sold out.

Joe Kalicki
06-05-2009, 01:59 PM
So wait, you're complaining that you're being ripped off by a book that you weren't even going to buy in the first place?

That'd be like me complaining that NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 was sold out.

Nah, not complaining, just supporting those who complain!

tom daylight
06-05-2009, 02:09 PM
People are still more likely to buy an issue #1 for $3.99 than an issue #134 for $3.99.

Why would they be more likely to try something new out that's pricier than everything else, than continue to buy something they already habitually buy just at a higher price?

Bleh. I'm just peeved that they're charging $3.99 when Bendis said they wouldn't (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5716395&postcount=81).

NickT
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Why would they be more likely to try something new out that's pricier than everything else, than continue to buy something they already habitually buy just at a higher price?

Bleh. I'm just peeved that they're charging $3.99 when Bendis said they wouldn't (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=5716395&postcount=81).
Then maybe it's not 3.99? Could be wrong.

Rod Nunley
06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

That doesn't say that they wouldn't. That says that it isn't ... as in not currently, and that has now changed I guess.

tom daylight
06-05-2009, 02:15 PM
That doesn't say that they wouldn't. That says that it isn't ... as in not currently, and that has now changed I guess.

You see the thread title that says "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1"? I don't remember it being made available for public consumption at $2.99 in February...

bartleby
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM

What about all those people who aren't habitually buying the book already?

nick maynard
06-05-2009, 02:23 PM

the first person to ever complain about USM being late. :)