PDA

View Full Version : Wiz World Philly

Marques
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Hey People!

Long time no talkie! Any of you guys and gals going to Philly this year?

Tschloendorn
06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I'll be there in Artist Alley.Table 26 with Mike SanGiacomo.
Looks like on Sat and Sun though.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
You might see M. Sean and myself during the after hours. But honestly not likely. This show is dead and they way they treat the talent is abominable.

SKAtoons
06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
i agree. but you may see Robenna there too in the after hour stuff......

Marques
06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Do they really treat the people crappy there?

SKAtoons
06-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't say they treat people bad. it's just that they charge WAY too much money for the lousy table......for a show that is only drawing less and less people....

Ange-face
06-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Turns out I have a wedding reception on Saturday (FREE FILET MIGNON AND LOBSTER TAIL!) so i will probably make it out in the after hours if everyone is going to meet up. I'll be hitting the con itself on Sunday.

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
06-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Looks like Shz and I will be in NH that weekend now. Oh well...hope everyone has fun!

M. Sean McManus
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Do they really treat the people crappy there?Well the new rule is that there are no professional badges. Only exhibitor and guest badges. They specifically say that if you want to walk around and network you have to buy a badge... that's kind of a jerky thing I think. I understand their POV, but I don't like it. Plus the artist tables are way too expensive, which is awesome because I remember last year walking through artist alley thinking it was pretty well vacated- meaning that there were not a lot of artists there at all.

Ziggy
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
they must be doing worse than usual at filling up artist alley, as they actually called both myself and quinn trying to sell us tables. i'll be honest, if i wasn't busy that weekend i probably woulda done it. philly was always a financial success for me (last time i went i was only able to do 2 of the 3 days and it still ended up being one of my financially best shows), and it was easily and consistently the most fun after-hours show for me (though without all my peeps maybe not so this year). either way, i've never had any problems with the show, and if i wasn't busy i'd probably go.

SKAtoons
06-09-2009, 05:56 AM
they must be doing worse than usual at filling up artist alley, as they actually called both myself and quinn trying to sell us tables. i'll be honest, if i wasn't busy that weekend i probably woulda done it. philly was always a financial success for me (last time i went i was only able to do 2 of the 3 days and it still ended up being one of my financially best shows), and it was easily and consistently the most fun after-hours show for me (though without all my peeps maybe not so this year). either way, i've never had any problems with the show, and if i wasn't busy i'd probably go.

yeah they had emailed me to. "haven't heard from you"......

Considering the last time I had called them on the phone and called them assholes for raising prices on tables for a lame show....they must be hurting to get butts in the seats. lol

I don't think I'll ever do that show again.

Marques
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
So I thinks I'm gonna take a pass on this show to make my debut in the artist alley ring...

Mikie
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow...sounds like I chose correctly going to Heroes this year.

Never been to either show.

McGill
06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll be there.
probably be hanging most of my time in artists alley.

Marc Lombardi
06-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Good to see some people will be there at least. I see that this year even Marvel and DC aren't putting up booths.

McGill
06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
that's extremely disappointing.
Wizard is really puling the pug on this, aren't they?

Mikie
06-13-2009, 08:39 AM
that's extremely disappointing.
Wizard is really puling the plug on this, aren't they?

I suspect they are going to put all their efforts behind Chicago and the newly acquired Big Apple Con. But, I think the competition they are feeling from New York Comicon and their upcoming sister show in Chicago will be more than they can overcome.

On the bright side though, after vacating LA, a new show popped up in Long Beach. Perhaps the same can happen in Philly.

Oeming
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
This will be the first WWPhilly I'll be missing- have fun!

Mikie
06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
This will be the first WWPhilly I'll be missing- have fun!

No Heroes either?

Arion
06-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Well the new rule is that there are no professional badges. Only exhibitor and guest badges. They specifically say that if you want to walk around and network you have to buy a badge... that's kind of a jerky thing I think. I understand their POV, but I don't like it. Plus the artist tables are way too expensive, which is awesome because I remember last year walking through artist alley thinking it was pretty well vacated- meaning that there were not a lot of artists there at all.

Looks like they're desperate to make money. But who can blame them?

McGill
06-14-2009, 11:20 AM
people will always pay.
and drive!
10 hours from where I'm at.

Mikie
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Looks like they're desperate to make money. But who can blame them?

Sure, they make a little more now, but that's incredibly short sited.

The more creators that have bad Wizard experiences, the more they won't bother to show up. The thinner the professional attendance gets, the less likely the fans will want to come out. So, now you don't have the creators to nickel and dime and the fans are loosing interest, so you then have to raise prices on the exhibitors and fans that are still showing up. That drives more away and soon you're show is just bleeding money.

Now, there is nothing saying that treating the creators and fans like gold will make for a successful show (or even please everyone), but it has to be a better business model than the existing one while there is so much competition out there.

Lyfeforce
06-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I'll be helping out at the Hero Intiative booth fri-sat, so I'll be there at least for that.

still, the talk from those I trust about this year's con is not very happy making.

Taki Soma
06-14-2009, 09:39 PM
pass.

too long of a flight now.

SKAtoons
06-15-2009, 07:23 AM
i'm not doing that "Big Apple Con" they are throwing now.....I doubt it would be worth it.....NYCC is a bigger and better deal

Arion
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Sure, they make a little more now, but that's incredibly short sited.

The more creators that have bad Wizard experiences, the more they won't bother to show up. The thinner the professional attendance gets, the less likely the fans will want to come out. So, now you don't have the creators to nickel and dime and the fans are loosing interest, so you then have to raise prices on the exhibitors and fans that are still showing up. That drives more away and soon you're show is just bleeding money.

Now, there is nothing saying that treating the creators and fans like gold will make for a successful show (or even please everyone), but it has to be a better business model than the existing one while there is so much competition out there.

Sounds a lot like the comic book industry. Every time you have fewer and fewer readers and thus you increase prices and you keep increasing them, and in return you lose a few more readers but you're still making money. 3.99 now, 4.99 in 2011 or earlier...

McGill
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll just buy trades and important issues if it comes to that.

BJLG
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow...sounds like I chose correctly going to Heroes this year.

Never been to either show.

I'll be at Heroes hawking the Templar goodness...
Swing on by and introduce yourself! :)

Arion
06-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I'll just buy trades and important issues if it comes to that.

It'll be hard to decide what is an important issue...

SKAtoons
06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
so seeing how I passed on this show. Was it worth going to or was I correct in my prediction of how lame it's gotten?

Arion
06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
so seeing how I passed on this show. Was it worth going to or was I correct in my prediction of how lame it's gotten?

You were probably right about it.

Marc Lombardi
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
It wasn't lame but it certainly wasn't anything like what it used to be. Some people said sales and sketches were brisk, and then there were some folks who just sat there with blank stares in Artists Alley most of the weekend (and I'm sure they did terrible). The "celebrity" section was weak (as we knew already) and only Ray Park and Edward James Olmos had what could be called consistent lines. And even then it wasn't 1/10th the lines that Kevin Smith got or even like what Ray Park had the first year he was there. The rest you could essentially walk right up to for an overpriced pic or signature. And most of them looked like they didn't want to be there, especially the wrestlers.

Probably the last one, and next year if Heroes is the same weekend, I may do Heroes instead.

SKAtoons
06-22-2009, 12:58 PM
geez. did DC and Marvel have booths, I thought someone said they didn't. Charolette is an okay show. i got seated in Small Press rather than Artist Alley, which hurt me somewhat. I'd probably do that show again.

Sorry for anyone who did do Philly. But it's a been going down hill for a while.

Marc Lombardi
06-23-2009, 05:41 AM
geez. did DC and Marvel have booths, I thought someone said they didn't. Charolette is an okay show. i got seated in Small Press rather than Artist Alley, which hurt me somewhat. I'd probably do that show again.

Sorry for anyone who did do Philly. But it's a been going down hill for a while.
No DC booth. No Marvel booth. No Image or Dark Horse or Oni. NOTHING was going on at the Wizard booth even. They didn't even have the Wizard booth set up until around 3pm on Friday, end even then it was mostly empty throughout the entire weekend.

The largest creator booth was Zenescope. And then there was the Aspen and Dynamite booths. But they weren't overly busy during the weekend.

This was the first year I got bored a few times. I was actually LOOKING for things to do, as opposed to having things to do or finding things to do.

It definitely went downhill. Thankfully there was Artists Alley, otherwise this would have been the worst con...and YES, I've been to the small one in Bordentown, too.

Lyfeforce
06-23-2009, 06:02 AM
This was the first year I got bored a few times. I was actually LOOKING for things to do, as opposed to having things to do or finding things to do.

It definitely went downhill. Thankfully there was Artists Alley, otherwise this would have been the worst con...and YES, I've been to the small one in Bordentown, too.

Seconded. I'd remarked to a few people during the weekend that if I hadn't been helping out at the Hero Initiative booth, I'd probably been just as well off not going at all.

Depending on if there'll be a large-scale convention next year in philly, I may end up going to Heroes instead next year.

SKAtoons
06-23-2009, 06:56 AM
was there even a crowd of fans that actually showed up for this disappointing show?

I have to laugh now at the email I got from the guy who's in charge of Artist Alley:

"No, we're gonna have the best show this year, while a lot of attendance."

Yeah right, dick. Thank god I didn't spend the $300 for the table, I would've been arrested for assault, cuz I would've beaten the $300 out of that moron!

Marc Lombardi
06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
was there even a crowd of fans that actually showed up for this disappointing show?

I have to laugh now at the email I got from the guy who's in charge of Artist Alley:

"No, we're gonna have the best show this year, while a lot of attendance."

Yeah right, dick. Thank god I didn't spend the $300 for the table, I would've been arrested for assault, cuz I would've beaten the $300 out of that moron!

Friday was about 2/3 the crowd of a "normal" slow Friday at the con. Saturday was like a very busy Sunday. Sunday's crowd was equal to the Friday crowd. I heard many people on the floor remarking how "small" the show felt. Wizard will spin it as a successful show, and I don't dispute the fact that for some people it WAS a success, but for a vast majority this show had to be a disappointment.

It's made me REALLY look forward to Baltimore in October.

J. Wilson
06-23-2009, 10:58 AM
No DC booth. No Marvel booth. No Image or Dark Horse or Oni. NOTHING was going on at the Wizard booth even. They didn't even have the Wizard booth set up until around 3pm on Friday, end even then it was mostly empty throughout the entire weekend.

The largest creator booth was Zenescope. And then there was the Aspen and Dynamite booths. But they weren't overly busy during the weekend.

Wow Marc, sure makes me glad I couldn't afford to go to the convention yet again this year.

M. Sean McManus
06-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Thankfully there was Artists Alley, otherwise this would have been the worst con...and YES, I've been to the small one in Bordentown, too.Whoa, whoa, whoa-- the Bordentown shows may be small, but they always offer a lot for fans. I think it's a great example of what a local show should be.

I'm trying to think of the suckiest show-- oh for some reason it's always the Wizard World shows. WW Boston, WW LA being the most horrendis.

Marc Lombardi
06-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa-- the Bordentown shows may be small, but they always offer a lot for fans. I think it's a great example of what a local show should be.

I'm trying to think of the suckiest show-- oh for some reason it's always the Wizard World shows. WW Boston, WW LA being the most horrendis.
I love the Bordentown show. I love that it's usually no more than 5-10 creators and about a dozen or so booths. Very small in terms of quantity but it makes up for it in quality. It's a good "con" for people looking for back issues and some one-on-one time with a creator. No panels. No gimmicks. Just comics and some creators. So when I say "bad" in regards to the Bordentown con, I suppose what I was REALLY trying to say is that the Bordentown cons can be walked through and "done with" in about an hour or so. And this time WWPhilly felt the same way.

Mikie
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM

Wait...you were at Heroes too? How did I successfully avoid...er, miss. I mean, how did I miss you?

SKAtoons
06-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Wait...you were at Heroes too? How did I successfully avoid...er, miss. I mean, how did I miss you?

nah. i was talking about the year before. didn't make it this year. i'm gonna shoot for next year though :(

LuchadorAl
06-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Heroes went well for us this year . . .

missed Crazy though . . .

"Big" al

SKAtoons
06-26-2009, 09:16 AM
crazy missed big.....

LuchadorAl
06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
heh. . .

what's your next con rob?

al

SKAtoons
06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Pittsburgh, Batlimore and Boston. Which ever comes first...not sure

Ziggy
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
baltimore is what its all about.

J. Wilson
06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Pittsburgh, Batlimore and Boston. Which ever comes first...not sure

There's a Boston con?

LuchadorAl
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
rob, i heard that the boston con is switching venues . . . moving to a bigger place, less maze like. you know anything about that?

i'll see you in pitt . . .

al

Sir Gibby
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
My fiancee went to Philly this year with some friends; she made a White Queen costume and our friend debuted Harley Quinn v.2. She said that Artists' Row was fairly disappointing, although Rags Morales and Rodney Ramos did some great sketches for her. (I'm a big fan of Rags' work, so you won't hear me complain.)

I'd heard though that originally Dynamite were telling people only 3 items for the Ennis line--and yes dressed up as Emma Frost, girl got the man to sign a volume of The Boys for me--and that on Sunday his line ultimately became nonexistant because nobody knew he was available. Doesn't seem like the best way to market the guest of honor?

I don't know why two cons were scheduled on the same coast for the same weekend, maybe there's a definitive reason but it fails the common sense test for me. It sounded like this one was really blundered.

Tschloendorn
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
My fiancee went to Philly this year with some friends; she made a White Queen costume and our friend debuted Harley Quinn v.2. She said that Artists' Row was fairly disappointing, although Rags Morales and Rodney Ramos did some great sketches for her. (I'm a big fan of Rags' work, so you won't hear me complain.)

I'd heard though that originally Dynamite were telling people only 3 items for the Ennis line--and yes dressed up as Emma Frost, girl got the man to sign a volume of The Boys for me--and that on Sunday his line ultimately became nonexistant because nobody knew he was available. Doesn't seem like the best way to market the guest of honor?

I don't know why two cons were scheduled on the same coast for the same weekend, maybe there's a definitive reason but it fails the common sense test for me. It sounded like this one was really blundered.
Both girls were drawing a crowd whenever they stopped for pics which was nice in artist alley.

Sir Gibby
06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Both girls were drawing a crowd whenever they stopped for pics which was nice in artist alley.

Thank you for passing that along--I've found a few dozen pictures of them online, apparently they got a very warm reception.

What was your opinion of the con? I made it to the last two, my fiancee's first was last year's (she did a Mystique costume--decided against liquid latex this year, smaaaaaart move) and I took her to the following Baltimore, so as her third con she felt like Wizard had done a poor job organizing/scheduling. (I've only been to 4 cons myself so I don't have the best frame of reference.)

Tschloendorn
06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you for passing that along--I've found a few dozen pictures of them online, apparently they got a very warm reception.

What was your opinion of the con? I made it to the last two, my fiancee's first was last year's (she did a Mystique costume--decided against liquid latex this year, smaaaaaart move) and I took her to the following Baltimore, so as her third con she felt like Wizard had done a poor job organizing/scheduling. (I've only been to 4 cons myself so I don't have the best frame of reference.)
I've done this one for the last 6 years as a pro,and this was probably the most disappointing with no big presence of the major publishers.I also heard from an artist that was walking around that his students,that are studying art,didn't even know that it was going on.That's a problem when you aren't advertising to local schools and what not.Now I've also heard that the guy putting it all together jumped on at the last minute,and had a lot to try and accomplish,but even lasts years you could tell it was off form years past.

J. Wilson
06-30-2009, 03:07 AM
So what is this Boston Con that's been mentioned here?

Arion
07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't know...

SKAtoons
07-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Great Show. If anyone is interested in doing it please PM me and I will get you the contact info....

J. Wilson
07-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Great Show. If anyone is interested in doing it please PM me and I will get you the contact info....

I'm not interested in working it, I don't know what the show is or where or when it is.

Arion
07-20-2009, 09:41 AM

I'll go to Boston one day...