PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cover Replacement

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know of a way to get a replacement dustcover for a book? My bookcase just collapsed a ripped the dustcover to the INCREDIBLE HULK OMINBUS in half. Maybe get it used from someone? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Go to a book store, take it off another copy, tuck it in your pants or jacket(make sure there aren't any price stickers on there), and walk out.

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Omnibuses are usually shrink wrapped. :/

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Omnibuses are usually shrink wrapped. :/

Simple solution:

Rip the shrink wrap off.

Don't worry, I'm not charging for this awesome advice. :)

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Simple solution:

Rip the shrink wrap off.

Don't worry, I'm not charging for this awesome advice. :)

That. Is. Genius.

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
That. Is. Genius.

I know.

Now go forth, young Hochler! Go forth and spread this knowledge that I have given you!

And also steal a dustcover off a book in a bookstore.

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
:)

In all seriousness, I really wish publishers would have a dust cover order program. It would make buying used hardcovers from cons so much better. Should I really have to buy a new copy just to fix such a minor issue?

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
:)

In all seriousness, I really wish publishers would have a dust cover order program. It would make buying used hardcovers from cons so much better.

I myself hate dust covers. :(

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I myself hate dust covers. :(

I do feel they get in the way of reading, and I take them off when doing so, but they protect the hardcover from dust and smudges. Also, they look really cool.

Jason California
05-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I have a thread like this about my Origins HC. Good luck.

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I do feel they get in the way of reading, and I take them off when doing so, but they protect the hardcover from dust and smudges. Also, they look really cool.

I just hate having, like, an extra piece or attachment to a book.

I always feel like I have to giftwrap a hardcover after I'm done reading it.

Hochler
05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I just hate having, like, an extra piece or attachment to a book.

I always feel like I have to giftwrap a hardcover after I'm done reading it.

Yea, that's true, but I see them as an extra layer of attractive protection. Oh well, I guess Hulk's going going to be legless from now on. :-?

Ryan Elliott
05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Yea, that's true, but I see them as an extra layer of attractive protection. Oh well, I guess Hulk's going going to be legless from now on. :-?

I'm sure there's some obscure website that somebody on here knows of that could help you out.

Actually, try ebay. Get the book for cheap(I'm sure the dustcover will be included). And since you don't need the book, give it to some little cousin or sibling or goodwill or what have you. :)

Japhy Ryder
05-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Also, while at the bookstore stealing the dust cover, steal "Steal This Book" by A.H. just to drive the point home (even though you can't tell anyone. Ever.)

Have you tried contacting the publishing company? I've never thought about it myself, but when DVDs or video games don't come with the pamphlet, I've been able to call and get one sent to me for free.

Artie Pink
05-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Order another one from Amazon, do the switcheroo and say it arrived in that condition, and demand a refund.

Thomas Mauer
05-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Order another one from Amazon, do the switcheroo and say it arrived in that condition, and demand a refund.

Get a shrink wrap machine first.

Jono
05-16-2009, 03:37 AM

Amazon would only replace the omnibus, not offer a refund. They're no dummies...

RebootedCorpse
05-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Hate to be a downer, but it is really tough to get a dust cover sans book. I doubt if it's worth $75 to buy a new Omniboo.

Ben
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
This is why I cover all my dust jacketed books.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

Hochler
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
This is why I cover all my dust jacketed books.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

Hm, that's interesting. Which Brodart do you recommend I try?

EDIT: I'm thinking a roll of Advantage I Non-Reflective 2.5-mil 14".

gaspar
05-16-2009, 12:56 PM
1. Scan in the dustcover, have it reprinted at kinkos on high quality paper. If the quality is good enough, use as is...if not, laminate it.

-OR-

2. Take off the dust jackets of all HCs you own so they all match...store them somewhere safe in case you ever decide to sell some of them. This won't fix the current problem, but will protect against future issues and will make for a consistent appearance on your shelf.