PDA

View Full Version : Hey video gamers, I have a favor to ask...

Jim.
05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
So by the end of the month I will be one of the contributors to a new site call Four Player Co-Op which I am sure I will talk about later, but since the site is not up yet, and I'm getting antsy I am launching a personal site that is exclusively about Video Games. www.uglyorgan.net

I am launching it right now with an intro post and then, two more posts later tonight, and the plan is to update daily. If you could check it out, that would be great, if you throw it in your RSS Feed I would be forever grateful.

Any feedback either here or on the site would be nice too, thanks.

blinkless
05-04-2009, 02:07 PM
http://www.fourplayercoop.com/

"Coming Soon in 2008"

That would make me antsy.

Jim.
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.fourplayercoop.com/

"Coming Soon in 2008"

That would make me antsy.
Dude, it's been under construction for a year. It's driving me insane.

Fygar
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
So by the end of the month I will be one of the contributors to a new site call Four Player Co-Op which I am sure I will talk about later, but since the site is not up yet, and I'm getting antsy I am launching a personal site that is exclusively about Video Games. www.uglyorgan.net

I am launching it right now with an intro post and then, two more posts later tonight, and the plan is to update daily. If you could check it out, that would be great, if you throw it in your RSS Feed I would be forever grateful.

Any feedback either here or on the site would be nice too, thanks.

First off, let me say up front that I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just have a few questions to ask. I too have thought about doing a gaming site on the side, but I have no connections, and don't know what I'd bring to the table that isn't covered elsewhere.

My questions:

- Have you thought about what will make your site stand out? What will you offer that Kotaku, Joystick, 1up, Penny Arcade, IGN, Giant Bomb, Eat-Sleep-Game and Gamespot don't offer already? Try to find a way to be a unique voice in gaming. It's a crowded market, and there's only so many opinions of Killzone 2 a gamer can take.

- Same goes for the podcast. I've cut my gaming podcasts to Giant Bomb, Listen Up and Retronauts. And even listening to both Giant Bomb and Listen Up can get annoying, because they cross reference the same games and news coverage. It's the humor of Giant Bomb that keeps me coming back. Try to mix it up. Don't follow the What you been playing in first segment, random topic in second segment, and then news in the third segment. It's been done before, and people aren't going to migrate from what they already listen to.

- Do you have connections? Are you going to get access to preview builds? Will you just reference the news stories from the other sites? Do expect publishers to send you finished software to review?

My suggestion, add a personal touch. That's what I always thought I'd try my best to do. I think an early feature for you and your buddies should be the equivalent of your "gaming timelines". How old you were when you started gaming. What was your first game you remember seeing/ playing. What systems you had growing up, who you played with, did you game with your family etc. This way your audience will have an idea of your background and where you came from. Instead of just being Jim who writes about games, people would think "Oh this is Jim. He's the guy who grew up on Sega Genesis and loathed Comix Zone because it ruined his 11th birthday. But he traded it in for Vectorman, and that changed his life."

Sorry for a rant, just my two cents.

Jim.
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
First off, let me say up front that I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just have a few questions to ask. I too have thought about doing a gaming site on the side, but I have no connections, and don't know what I'd bring to the table that isn't covered elsewhere.

We've been in the works for over a year. We have employees, we have been writing articles, recording podcasts, and honing our voice for longer than that. It's gonna be cool when it launches. You'll see.

Fygar
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
We've been in the works for over a year. We have employees, we have been writing articles, recording podcasts, and honing our voice for longer than that. It's gonna be cool when it launches. You'll see.

Cool man, I'll definitely keep checking it out. I seek fresh voices in games journalism.

Jim.
05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Also just to note, apparently my hosting service just went down, so...yeah pretty awesome start.

Akira
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM

I have no doubt that your site will be top notch, but I think what Fygar is wondering (and myself as well) is what will your site offer me if I already have Joystiq, Kotaku, and Gamepolitics RSS Feeded, and I listen (like Fygar) to Listen Up! and Retronaughts. Hell, I stopped listening to the Player One podcast, IGN's podcast and The Gamespot podcasts months ago, because the content was mostly the same, and I prefer the guys on Listen Up/1Up Yours. I also recently took The Escapist off of my RSS Feeder because of similar content. No one's doubting your commitment to your site or your love of games, but what would you have to offer me that Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamepolitics and 1Up wouldn't?

Jim.
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I have no doubt that your site will be top notch, but I think what Fygar is wondering (and myself as well) is what will your site offer me if I already have Joystiq, Kotaku, and Gamepolitics RSS Feeded, and I listen (like Fygar) to Listen Up! and Retronaughts. Hell, I stopped listening to the Player One podcast, IGN's podcast and The Gamespot podcasts months ago, because the content was mostly the same, and I prefer the guys on Listen Up/1Up Yours. I also recently took The Escapist off of my RSS Feeder because of similar content. No one's doubting your commitment to your site or your love of games, but what would you have to offer me that Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamepolitics and 1Up wouldn't?
You would have to find out for yourself I guess. Listen to a podcast, read an article. See what you think. Most people get there info from all over the web anyway. You might see one of our articles on Digg, or 1up might mention one of our podcasts, this board could link to one of our news stories. It's all about getting our name out there.

Lab-Rat
05-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Would love to check it out when the site's back up. :)

costello
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Could someone please explain to me how RSS feeds work?

Jim.
05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Could someone please explain to me how RSS feeds work?
You need to have an RSS feed reader, most are web based now, like I use Google Reader so if you already have a Gmail account you have a google reader account. So then you click on that little orange and white logo in the address bar and add it to your reader. Then whenever that page gets updated you get the update in your reader. So you never actually really go to the site anymore you get the content through the reader.

Jim.
05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Here's a bump, the blog is back up. Thanks everyone.