PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody pitched/published with Cracked or MAD, online or print?

Jef UK
04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Has anybody pitched or published in Cracked or MAD, either online or print? Just curious what your experience was like. Who you talked to. What came of it. Any advice.

Is there any other venue I should consider for a short, humurous, comic strip piece?

Thanks.

SKAtoons
04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
i met with Sam Vivano (spelling?) about 6 times when I was in college. It was a bad experience but nothing came out it. I didn't even get the internship! They gave it to another student "with more experience", that was the final straw for me. I was like, thats the whole point of an internship, to get experience! I would love to work for MAD, but I'll be hoenst, my opinion, there are the titanic.....it's only a matter of time.

Jef UK
04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
i met with Sam Vivano (spelling?) about 6 times when I was in college. It was a bad experience but nothing came out it. I didn't even get the internship! They gave it to another student "with more experience", that was the final straw for me. I was like, thats the whole point of an internship, to get experience! I would love to work for MAD, but I'll be hoenst, my opinion, there are the titanic.....it's only a matter of time.

Cool. Or, rather, uncool, ha. Thanks.

Any good venues for, say, a 7 panel strip? I mean, we're just going to make the thing over the next week or so anyway. And it's topical!

SKAtoons
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
i'm sure you could try various magazines.....like FHM or maybe the Village Voice....??

ZeeS
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I think my brother did some stuff for MAD, I could ask him.

Jef UK
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
or maybe the Village Voice....??

Yeah, I was thinking about that one.

I mean, we'll put it online either way. But I figured, might as well see if somebody will print or distribute it in some way. Which then informs our format. Just brainstorming.

Thanks for brainstorming help!

Jef UK
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I think my brother did some stuff for MAD, I could ask him.

That would be swell!

M. Sean McManus
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I thought cracked is out of business, and Mad has moved on to only being published four times a year. I remember Moreno did something for Cracked years back I think.

Jef UK
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought cracked is out of business, and Mad has moved on to only being published four times a year. I remember Moreno did something for Cracked years back I think.

But when did you learn how to teleport?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/image.php?u=1963&dateline=1240328929

M. Sean McManus
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
But when did you learn how to teleport?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/image.php?u=1963&dateline=1240328929
It's not me, it's Scotty.

SKAtoons
04-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Sean, you're not hoping that you're next leap is the leap home?

Mary E. Brickthrower, MEB Grim
04-24-2009, 05:08 PM
If you're friendly with Jimmy Palmiotti, he might be able to help you.

Jef UK
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
If you're friendly with Jimmy Palmiotti, he might be able to help you.

He once asked my friend if I was good to get home, and then I made his wife draw a skull on my forehead. I also got him to write Jonah Hex dialogue on a sketch that I bought. Does that count?

When we finish, I'll definitely send it to him, then. Thanks, Mary!

Chris Moreno
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM
I met CRACKED's then-editor, Marten Jallad, at Dragon Con a few years back and they contacted me to do the art for a 4-page Sky Captain spoof for $100 a page. Being young, and a little stupid, and a huge CRACKED magazine fan from way back, I jumped at the chance and turned the pages around in record time. I sent in the pages and Marten loved them.

Then, he dropped of the face of the earth.

After repeated emails, he came back to tell me that the magazine went out of business and that I wouldn't be getting paid for the work. Sorry. Tough luck.

They've since resurfaced under new ownership as an online humor magazine. There's no way I'd even be able to get my money if I tried, since the magazine that employed me no longer exists.

I do have the originals for a four page Sky Captain parody if anyone's interested.

M. Sean McManus
04-28-2009, 05:25 AM
I do have the originals for a four page Sky Captain parody if anyone's interested. You know Chris-- I think we can jam four pages of a sky captain parody into the anthology when the time comes. I'll have to speak to the EIC, but it may be a nice surprise addition.

ZeeS
04-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Chris I have a Buckaroo Banzai #1 comic...if you're interested.