PDA

View Full Version : National Volunteer Week

The Cable Guy
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
National Volunteer Week

April 19th-25th

I’m curious if any of you put extra time to help out in your community? I know times are tough with the economy and some people are out of work. Some volunteer programs can actually lead to careers or even be highly praised by companies to help out choosing you as a good candidate for a job.

I know there are a number of people on this board who do a little extra to contribute their time. For example, VoicesOffCamera was in the Vegas Aids Walk while our own mod, Ms. Grunwald will be in the NY Aids Walk.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=5931249#post5931249

I’ve done a number of things over the years from picking up trash on the San Diego beaches to Graffiti eradication program in my home town to working with the police department in the DUI and Crime Scene Units. Presently I’m trying to win money through my work for the Craniofacial Association to help families who can’t afford the surgeries. My company has a lottery system with employees who volunteer at least 24 hours a quarter. The person chosen gets $1500 to be given to the charity of their choice. My oldest son was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate so this means a lot to me.

Think about it, if every person could donate a few hours of their time a month how much would be accomplished. I was on TV. last night (public access) with a group of other volunteers giving a check to the mayor of Mesa, AZ. The check was the number of hours volunteered converted to paid salaries that would have equaled to be over $5,700,000.00 for 2008.

It’s a great way to network and meet new friends.

Criden
04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the info.

RocketRaccoon-DestroysYou
04-21-2009, 09:58 AM
its too hot call me back when it cool down

The Cable Guy
04-21-2009, 10:03 AM
its too hot call me back when it cool down

If you're talking about AZ, hell ya it's supposed to hit three digits today.

The Cable Guy
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
This could also include teaching people how to read.

Literacy through comics. That's how I taught both of my nephews and my oldest son.

There are many programs out there to participate with your specific talents, whether it be academic or sports oriented.