PDA

View Full Version : Woody Allen vs. American Apparel

Nelson
04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Details here... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_en_ce/na_us_woody_allen_lawsuit)

Apparently American Apparel's lawyers aren't above resorting to sleaze to get what they want, which is most likely a quiet settlement.

American Apparel lawyer Stuart Slotnick said the company plans to make Allen's relationships to actress Mia Farrow and her adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn, whom Allen married, the focus of a trial scheduled to begin in federal court in Manhattan on May 18.
"Woody Allen expects $10 million for use of his image on billboards that were up and down in less than one week," Slotnick said. "I think Woody Allen overestimates the value of his image."
He said the company's belief was that "after the various sex scandals that Woody Allen has been associated with, corporate America's desire to have Woody Allen endorse their product is not what he may believe it is."

Scumbag corporate lawyers. :nonono2:

Big Poot!
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Their response is they insult him?!

I'd expect them to apologize, not insult him.

bachman
04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I bet if they were using him to advertise their children's line he wouldn't be upset.

RickLM
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Total rabbit trail here, but does anyone notice that links to Yahoo News stories always load super slow?

And yeah, American Apparel is scummy.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Total rabbit trail here, but does anyone notice that links to Yahoo News stories always load super slow?

And yeah, American Apparel is scummy.

But their shirts fit so well!

Nick Spencer
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Love their stuff (especially the hoodies), but Dov Charney is a cock.

Jef UK
04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
These tight American pants give me great bulges.

bachman
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM

That's what she said.

Adrian B AWESOME
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Now we go down to the swingin' singles bar and look for the American foxes!

Jef UK
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Now we go down to the swingin' singles bar and look for the American foxes!

I used to think they were saying, "ball jazz," which I like better.

Albert
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
This is the exact same response I had to Nick Spencer when he sued me.

Dan-C
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I think the real question is - why does American Apparel think that Woody Allen is a good spokesperson/ model for their clothing? To anyone who doesn't know who he is, he just looks like a nerdy old dude.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I think the real question is - why does American Apparel think that Woody Allen is a good spokesperson/ model for their clothing? To anyone who doesn't know who he is, he just looks like a nerdy old dude.

Because Woody Allen is the hippest person ever!

Joe Kalicki
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
If his image is so unappealing to advertisers then. . . why did they use his image in an advertisement?

Big Poot!
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
See, this is why American clothes should be made by kids in other countries.

Nelson
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
The billboard:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/TheNelson_photos/large_woody-allen-billboard.jpg

SgtPepper
04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Allen seems to have every right to sue, based on right of publicity. The article seems to indicate that American Apparel never entered into an agreement with Allen.

Masculine Todd
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
American Apparel is for faux-hipsters. They're the Hot Topic of Hipsteristas. I thrift shop it like a real, pretentious hip elitist, which is incidentally what I enjoy about Woodie Allen flicks.

Nick Spencer
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
American Apparel is for faux-hipsters. They're the Hot Topic of Hipsteristas. I thrift shop it like a real, pretentious hip elitist, which is incidentally what I enjoy about Woodie Allen flicks.

What would you thrift shop over AA? AA is for basics. The popular stuff is not stuff you'll find a match for thrift wise.

I think Urban Outfitters more matches that description. That's a story where you can find a thrift equivalent to everything.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
The billboard:

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/TheNelson_photos/large_woody-allen-billboard.jpg

I am half tempted to put that as my background on my work computer.

Masculine Todd
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What would you thrift shop over AA? AA is for basics. The popular stuff is not stuff you'll find a match for thrift wise.

I think Urban Outfitters more matches that description. That's a story where you can find a thrift equivalent to everything.

V neck-sweaters, skinny jeans with closed legs, v-neck t's and vintage cardigans, which are all hallmarks of American Apparel merchandise, are plentiful in good thrift shops. I, for one, am wearing a pair of skin-tight skinny jeans, which is cutting of my circulation to the point of which I'm fearing that the no blood will be circulated among my lower belt-buckle region, an awesome red and black stripped cardigan and red and black Chucks, all of which were found at thrift shops.

American Apparel...pssah!

Criden
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Hahaha. Truth in humor. Love it!

Nick Spencer
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM

:lol:

The use of my likeness is worth a lot more than $10 million! Corporate America loves me and the sex I have!

Nick Spencer
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
V neck-sweaters, skinny jeans with closed legs, v-neck t's and vintage cardigans, which are all hallmarks of American Apparel merchandise, are plentiful in good thrift shops. I, for one, am wearing a pair of skin-tight skinny jeans, which is cutting of my circulation to the point of which I'm fearing that the no blood will be circulated among my lower belt-buckle region, an awesome red and black stripped cardigan and red and black Chucks, all of which were found at thrift shops.

American Apparel...pssah!

Most people I know shop AA for basics-- well, t-shirts mostly. I can't imagine being stupid enough to buy those cardigans, they look like shit. And their jeans are horrible. I love their hoodies though, very comfortable and super-durable.

I dunno, I tend to avoid the 'real hipsters do this' conversations in general, though, they induce vomiting.

Criden
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll stick to whatever fits and is comfortable.

JoeE
04-16-2009, 02:28 PM
From what I understand, the object of this legal strategy is to humiliate Allen enough to where he will settle out of court. Which seems like a bad idea to me, because 1) if I were Allen, I'm pretty sure this would only make me even more pissed off at the company and ready to screw them to the wall in court and 2) because American Apparel has no legal ground to stand on and will certainly lose when they go to trial.

Criden
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
It almost sounds like this is some bizarre scheme on the part of some person(s) at American Apparel with some vendetta against Allen.

Masculine Todd
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Most people I know shop AA for basics-- well, t-shirts mostly. I can't imagine being stupid enough to buy those cardigans, they look like shit. And their jeans are horrible. I love their hoodies though, very comfortable and super-durable.

I dunno, I tend to avoid the 'real hipsters do this' conversations in general, though, they induce vomiting.

By the same token, anyone who refers to themselves as a hipster in non-ironic fashion is laughable.

Dan-C
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
American Apparel shirts are good for one thing - making Threadless shirts!