PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] Astonishing Wolf-Man vs. Chowder

Jef UK
04-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Yesterday I got the first Astonishing Wolf-Man trade and the first collection of the Chowder cartoon.

One I loved and the other I hated.

So rather than just bitch about something or go on and on about how awesome another thing is, I thought I'd talk about both, as I "read" both on the same day. And we can have bizzarre parrallel conversations about two diverse types of stories in different mediums.

But which is which? Do you know my tastes?

Poll forthcoming! This thread has it all!

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2009, 06:05 AM
I'd say you liked Chowder better.

Jef UK
04-15-2009, 06:06 AM
I'll be back around lunchtime to check in with the poll results.

Isn't this exciting?

Jef UK
04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh, one more thing: I had seen one episode of Chowder and read one issue of Astonishing Wolf-Man. So I had sought these out. I wasn't going in blind with either.

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Oh, one more thing: I had seen one episode of Chowder and read one issue of Astonishing Wolf-Man. So I had sought these out. I wasn't going in blind with either.

While I enjoyed both myself, I just can't see anyone disliking Chowder.

Brad N.
04-15-2009, 06:40 AM

Yup. I can see being disappointed with Wolf Man, but Chowder is charming, hilarious, and just plain weird. No one with a soul could possibly not enjoy it.

John Drake
04-15-2009, 06:46 AM
You said recently Kirkman's dialog was wearing on you, so I'd go with hated Wolf-Man.

Fake Pat
04-15-2009, 06:51 AM

Seriously.

Jef UK
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Chowder rules, Wolf-Man drools!

Chowder is one of my favorite things just after two episodes! So good! It makes my wife and I giggle like children. I love Chowder's voice. I adore the '70's aesthetic, too.

Astonishing Wolf-Man was one of the worst trades I can remember reading in some time. The art was fine, but this book is nothing but plot plot plot. No characterization. No tension. No depth. It was just flat revelation after flat revelation.

One reason I think the characters are so flat and there's no actual drama (i.e., no tension) is because of the dialogue. Everybody just announces any sort of feeling in these long monologues. Everybody wears anything they are thinking on their sleeve and any subtext that would be allowed is simply announced as exposition. And then there's some dumb sooperhero action. It's boring. The only character with any gesture towards pathos is Mecha Maiden. She's interesting. The rest: blah. I only spent about $7.50 on this, and I don't think I got my money's worth.

Ben
04-15-2009, 08:14 AM
This is a great poll.

Ben
04-15-2009, 08:27 AM
So you might say you were astonished to find out how bad the Astonishing Wolf-Man was!

James H
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM

This.

Yup. I can see being disappointed with Wolf Man, but Chowder is charming, hilarious, and just plain weird. No one with a soul could possibly not enjoy it.

and this. Chowder is one of the best things ever! "Radda Radda Radda Radda"!

Ryan Elliott
04-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I, uh, don't like Chowder...:scared:

Fake Pat
04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I, uh, don't like Chowder...:scared:

Obviously.

I mean, Batman's not in it at all!

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Did you watch the Cinnamini Monster episode Jef?

That's gotta be my favorite.

TheTravis!
04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't know what Chowder is. Unless you are talking about the delicious soup. But I don't think you are. :(

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know what Chowder is. Unless you are talking about the delicious soup. But I don't think you are. :(

Oh you REALLY got to watch Chowder, seriously pick up the first season on dvd. Its one of the best cartoons in recent memory.

JABSEN
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm gonna say you loved Chowder and hated Astonishing Wolf-Man.

Albert
04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
This was pretty easy to guess, especially since you already revealed the answer by the time I got to the thread.

Jef UK
04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Did you watch the Cinnamini Monster episode Jef?

That's gotta be my favorite.

no but i can't wait

Evan the Shaggy
04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
no but i can't wait

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jvp-cEoo4Ws/RoIQfgd_2-I/AAAAAAAAAP8/NxBPDUiCHs4/s400/chowder_cinnamini.jpg