PDA

View Full Version : Boston's Beckett suspended for 6 games

Rosdower 3.0
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Good. It is always an inexcusable act...what a douchebag.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4067947

Josh Beckett has been suspended six games and fined for throwing a head-high pitch at Bobby Abreu of the Los Angeles Angels, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday.

MLB disciplinarian Bob Watson said Beckett was suspended and fined an undisclosed amount for the pitch, in Sunday's game at Anaheim, and for his "aggressive actions after the pitch that incited the bench-clearing incident." His suspension was due to begin Tuesday night, unless he appealed.

Angels' hitting coach Mickey Hatcher was also suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount for his actions during the incident. His suspension was also to take effect Tuesday.

Angels' manager Mike Scioscia and players Torii Hunter and Justin Speier were also fined.

Beckett's pitch sailed over Abreu's head, leading to both benches clearing in the first-inning incident. Scoscia remained on the field while his players returned to the dugout, then was approached by Beckett. The teams returned to the field, pushing and shoving ensued, and Hunter, Hatcher and Speier were ejected.

"I've never hit anybody in the head, and it's not really on my list of stuff to accomplish. But people can think what they want to think," Beckett said after Sunday's game. "I know Bobby Abreu. He knows I'm not trying to hit him in the head. Obviously, there's been a lot of emotion in this series with them -- not only facing us, but obviously the tragedy that all of them went through."

Scioscia felt the pitch was intentional.

"Usually the pitcher will show a little bit of remorse and say that wasn't a part of it. But obviously, we didn't see any of that with Beckett," Scioscia said. "That was as blatant as anything I've seen in this game. What happened today absolutely crossed the line, and I think it was inexcusable. I really feel the league has to look at it."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bill!
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Like I said in the MLB thread, I can't say for certain whether its intentional or not, though I certainly have my opinions, Beckett should have quickly apologized from the mound, kept his mouth shut and stayed there. Approaching home plate was the dumbest fucking thing he could have done.

19bernardo87
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Isn't that just 1 game for a pitcher?

Bill!
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Isn't that just 1 game for a pitcher?

If that. It'll probably just push back a start a couple days.

bstie1198
04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Like I said in the MLB thread, I can't say for certain whether its intentional or not, though I certainly have my opinions, Beckett should have quickly apologized from the mound, kept his mouth shut and stayed there. Approaching home plate was the dumbest fucking thing he could have done.

Agreed, and this is coming from a Sox fan. With him in his windup and the late timeout, I could excuse the throw (there have been plenty of other wacky throws after late time calls), but once he advanced toward the plate, he deserved to be punished.

Gregory
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
When Randy Johnson threw the same pitch at John Kruk at the all-star game, everyone laughed it off.

Bill!
04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
When Randy Johnson threw the same pitch at John Kruk at the all-star game, everyone laughed it off.

In fairness to Johnson, his throw was several feet over Kruk's head. Beckett's went right next to Abreu's face before sailing up. Plus, it was pretty much universally assumed that Johnson lost control of the pitch.

Rosdower 3.0
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM

Yeah, you approach the plate you better expect that bat to be used as a weapon.

paul brian deberry
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Bullshit! Abreu called time in the middle of Beckett's pitch and remained in the box. Beckett sailed the pitch within a safe distance over his head.

Back when baseball was an actually sport filled with actual players, not super-humans hoped up on enhancement drugs. It happened all the time.

Shit like this is why Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and a long list of baseball hall a famers could never pitch in todays baseball environment.

paul brian deberry
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Beckett shouldn't have approached the mound.

Rosdower 3.0
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
^Sounds like we have ourself a Yankee's fan.^

Bullshit! Abreu called time in the middle of Beckett's pitch and remained in the box. Beckett sailed the pitch within a safe distance over his head.

Back when baseball was an actually sport filled with actual players, not super-humans hoped up on enhancement drugs. I happened all the time.

Shit like this is why Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and a long list of baseball hall a framer could never pitch in todays baseball environment.

"Sailed it safely over his head", what like it was slow-pitch softball? It was right next to his face.

For the record, I am a Twins fan all the way. I hate Boston and Yankees almost equally.

Steroid discussion and debate is best for another thread...

Jet
04-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Back when baseball was an actually sport filled with actual players, not super-humans hoped up on enhancement drugs. It happened all the time.

Shit like this is why Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and a long list of baseball hall a famers could never pitch in todays baseball environment.

Lets be fair here. Beckett did take a long time to get to the windup and kept Abreu in the box for a while.

I agree with most people here, I have no problem with the pitch but Beckett did escalate a situation that didn't need to be. One start is fair.

Bill!
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
The fact Beckett started shit over it and didn't apologize is what makes me not like the pitch itself. Mike Soscia is one of the games best managers, by far. When he legitimately thinks the pitch was intentional, I tend to wonder myself.

DaGetHighKnight
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdh7lRWWcA

the video.

Nelson
04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
As a Yankees fan, I approve. :twisted:
:scared:

Buk Was Right
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Well, just so long as your opinion is unbiased.

Doug
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Is there such a thing as an unbiased baseball opinion?

I submit that there is not.

Nelson
04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
It is unbiased.
I just hate the Red Sox.
;)

Rosdower 3.0
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

well, you can just approve of his suspension based on that fact that he deserved it too :)

PeterSparker
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

:?

Buk Was Right
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
:?

Don't question it dude!

That is an opinion totally backed up with facts and figures and no wait a minute it's totally nonsensical.

Drew
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Starters should be banned by the start.

ManOfMiracles
04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Man....The ONE player that is holding my Fantasy team together and now he misses a start! egads!

King of Mars
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Shit like this is why Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and a long list of baseball hall a famers could never pitch in todays baseball environment.Nothing wrong with sending a batter a message with a pitch under the chin...but Abreu wasn't even focused on the mound when Beckett threw that pitch. That was an incredibly dangerous thing to do. Shit, we coulda been looking at another Tony Conigliaro/Kirby Puckett type situation if Abreu didn't see the ball and react quickly enough. That suspension is TOTALLY deserved.

Mark4myself
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm a Red Sox fan and saw this live. I don't believe it was intentional nor do I believe Abreu was in any way out of line for saying "What the fuck???". Beckett did escalate things by stepping towards Abreu and for that alone he warrants a suspension in my opinion. The one truly at fault here though in my opinion was the Ump who called the time out at the last minute when he either shouldn't have or should of made it more obvious with a large waving of the hands behind Varitek before stepping to the side. He misplayed this and that is what led to this situation. I still believe it was not intentional but can see why Abreu and the Angels would believe otherwise.

lonesomefool
04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
The only positive to come from this for a Boston fan is the fact it likely gives Clay Bucholtz a start and he might have been one of, if not THE, best pitcher for them in camp or any camp this spring. His stuff looks like it did when he first came up and threw a no-hitter. It might smarten them up and force Wakefield into a long relief role which is the best for the team.

ArttyG12
04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
The fact Beckett started shit over it and didn't apologize is what makes me not like the pitch itself. Mike Soscia is one of the games best managers, by far. When he legitimately thinks the pitch was intentional, I tend to wonder myself.

:rofl:

ArttyG12
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I said in the baseball thread that I think the suspension was well deserved, but:
He wasn't thrown out for the pitch, which means Bob Watson either completely and totally ignored the opinions of his on-field staff, or the suspension was in large part because of his actions after the pitch. If that's the case Soscia should get at least as big a suspension - he came back onto the field the next inning after getting thrown out!

lonesomefool
04-14-2009, 04:56 PM

I dont see what it to disagree about there.

Taxman
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Total bullshit!!! :x

LeBron James should be suspended for taunting the Celtics on Sunday.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Board%20Photos/place.gif

MagicGamer
04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm a Red Sox fan and saw this live. I don't believe it was intentional nor do I believe Abreu was in any way out of line for saying "What the fuck???". Beckett did escalate things by stepping towards Abreu and for that alone he warrants a suspension in my opinion. The one truly at fault here though in my opinion was the Ump who called the time out at the last minute when he either shouldn't have or should of made it more obvious with a large waving of the hands behind Varitek before stepping to the side. He misplayed this and that is what led to this situation. I still believe it was not intentional but can see why Abreu and the Angels would believe otherwise.

Yeah, I agree.

Not a big deal though. With the day off thursday I don't think it'll do anything with the rotation.

ArttyG12
04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I dont see what it to disagree about there.

With their payroll/farm system compared to that division, if he was a great manager that team should win the division a Torre-esque 9 times in a row, not all of twice. But yeah, bunting and stealing bases is the key to winning!

LazyComix
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
eff Boston

MicahO
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, tbh this kinda seems like a pity suspension for them being emotionally charged up after losing their pitcher. He wouldn't have a suspension if he didn't die I feel. It's kind of sad Bud Selig is acting like an underpaid Oprah.

Bill!
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Its absolutely true. He is widely considered to be one of the games smartest and best team managing mangers in the game.

RickLM
04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Beckett deserves the suspension.

lonesomefool
04-14-2009, 06:45 PM
With their payroll/farm system compared to that division, if he was a great manager that team should win the division a Torre-esque 9 times in a row, not all of twice. But yeah, bunting and stealing bases is the key to winning!

Their farm system isnt THAT great. They have had some obvious success stories, but Howie Kendrick has never really put it together over a full season, Brandon Wood has been a pretty massive bust and Kendry Morales likely wont either. They have done a good job developing pitching, but they have been lacking on the position side.

I dont think he's the greatest manager, but I would put him in one of the upper categories.

lonesomefool
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Its absolutely true. He is widely considered to be one of the games smartest and best team managing mangers in the game.

He's made obvious mistakes and his teams lack of any real post season success in the last couple years hurts him, but I agree, he is still one of the best. His biggest sin as a manager has been giving guys like Gary Matthews and Garrett Anderson and other veterans too long of a leash to do anything when it was clear they stunk. You could say that for most managers.