PDA

View Full Version : Very cool custom made GI Joe (toy) base

AndrewG
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.toybender.com/man-builds-gi-joe-playsets-of-my-dreams/

Brad N.
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Holy fuckballs. I'm not so enamored with the TerrorDrome, the interior is cool, but the outside doesn't really look enough like it for me, if only the original toy were larger. That Joe base is fucking amazing though. Could use a tad more detail, but wow, it's huge.

Supreme Convoy
04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow, who knew coolers could be used as a army base!

Great creativity!

Girlfriend In A Coma
04-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I. Want. That.

Howlett
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
That is fucking incredible!

changingshades
04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I wonder if that man has ever touched a boob

AndrewG
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Possibly not, but he has those bases to play with all the time

Howlett
04-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Course he has.

He had to get the figures of Scarlet and Lady Jaye in there SOMEHOW!

RoShambo
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Course he has.

He had to get the figures of Scarlet and Lady Jaye in there SOMEHOW!

Awww, I was going to go with:

Maybe his own.

changingshades
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
amount of space to store it

cost of materials (actual toys and random materials for the base)

time he spent actually putting it together

that shit has to have cost almost 6 figures.

Brad N.
04-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Wow, who knew coolers could be used as a army base!

Great creativity!

I used to make bases out of old cardboard boxes. Buildings too. I must admit though none looked as cool as this guy's stuff. Fuck, it takes up his whole basement!

Brad N.
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
amount of space to store it

cost of materials (actual toys and random materials for the base)

time he spent actually putting it together

that shit has to have cost almost 6 figures.

I dunno, he might have picked up a lot of the figures and vehicles second hand (maybe he owns a comic/toy store?) or at garage sales, eBay, etc. As for the materials it's almost entirely made of styrofoam coolers that can be picked up for like a dollar a piece. There are some other odds and ends but looking closely they don't look entirely expensive and to be honest I'm jotting ideas down on how I could do it/improve on it myself.

The only tough part is the sheer space of it all. It takes up the entire basement of his house and I'm guessing he lives alone or he and his wife (who must be VERY understanding) have no kids. I'm sure it cost him a little bit, but I'd say far less than even $10,000.

gomi
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Straight-up awesomeness.

changingshades
04-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I dunno, he might have picked up a lot of the figures and vehicles second hand (maybe he owns a comic/toy store?) or at garage sales, eBay, etc. As for the materials it's almost entirely made of styrofoam coolers that can be picked up for like a dollar a piece. There are some other odds and ends but looking closely they don't look entirely expensive and to be honest I'm jotting ideas down on how I could do it/improve on it myself.

The only tough part is the sheer space of it all. It takes up the entire basement of his house and I'm guessing he lives alone or he and his wife (who must be VERY understanding) have no kids. I'm sure it cost him a little bit, but I'd say far less than even $10,000.

I don't know, those figures looked in pretty good shape and fairly new to me.

Still that's nuts

Brad N.
04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know, those figures looked in pretty good shape and fairly new to me.

Still that's nuts

The only reason I thought that was due to the sheer number of them and that there are a few vehicles that have not been rereleased I see there. There definitely are many newer figures and vehicles, but some of them he might have picked up on sale in bulk packs (like the Crimson Guard figures) on clearance at TRU for example. But yeah, the figures are easily the spendy part and I'm sure it took him a LONG time to do that. Still kickass though and I'd love to spend an afternoon channeling my inner child and playing with it.

Thudpucker
04-10-2009, 08:55 PM
That's awesome!

Wonder if he'll ever let a kid actually play with it?

Donal DeLay
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
That dude is hardcore into his toys.

Wow.