PDA

View Full Version : TX State Rep. Betty Brown: Asian voters should adopt names "easier for Americans"

TheKraken
04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the circus!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6365600.html

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Democratic Party demanded an apology Wednesday from state Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell for suggesting Asian-descent voters should adopt names that are "easier for Americans to deal with."

Brown made the comments on Tuesday evening as the House Elections Committee discussed voter identification legislation, the Houston Chronicle reported in its online edition.

Brown spokesman Jordan Berry said Brown was not making a racially motivated comment but was trying to resolve an identification problem.

Ramey Ko, a representative of the Organization of Chinese Americans, told the committee that people of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent often have problems voting and with forms of identification because there may be a difference in their legal transliterated name and a common English name used on their driver's license.

"Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it's a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?" Brown asked, the newspaper reported.

She later told Ko: "Can't you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that's easier for Americans to deal with?"

Democratic Chairman Boyd Richie said Republicans are trying to suppress votes with a partisan identification bill and said Brown "is adding insult to injury with her disrespectful comments."

Berry said Democrats are trying to blow Brown's comments out of proportion because polls show most voters support requiring identification for voting.

"They want this to just be about race," Berry said.

Ray G.
04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
The hell? :rofl:

Blake Sims
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I've worked at polls for the past couple of years, having a "difficult" name has never been a problem. They tell you their name, you look it up. If you have trouble finding it the role you just look at their fucking ID and there you go.

How stupid.

bartleby
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Oh, Texas... I hope you never change.

Scotty
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
At least it wasn't Alabama this time

Brad N.
04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Ahhhhh, Texas. That good old fashioned kind of racism. Where old crusty white women claim they're not a racist yet they say things like this. Now, where is Jason to tell me I'm making snap judgments again? ;)

Kedd
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Agreed.

bartleby
04-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Sure, but only because Alabama doesn't have any Asians.

Kedd
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Sure, but only because Alabama doesn't have any Asians.

Not true, Mobile had a growing Korean population last I was there. And Huntsville is full of Rocket scientists. All of whom are asian. Every last one of them. All of them.

NickKicksAssTomorrow
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Makes me proud to be Texan, where most of our problems are somebody else's fault

Boris the Blade
04-10-2009, 11:50 AM
"What is your name?"

"Shinji Ozu"

*WHIP*

"Your name is TOBY!"

Dreg
04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
"Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it's a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?" Brown asked, the newspaper reported.

I think it would behoove Ms. Brown to learn the difference between somebody's name and a word in a foreign language. For example, I'm pretty sure the locals still call her Betty Brown when she goes to Germany for the annual White Power rallies.

Rosemary's Baby
04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Sweet shit. What a dumb bitch.

God, this is annoying.

The Crushtacean
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I like how she both talks down to the people and insinuates that they aren't Americans in the same fucking sentence.

What a fucking cunt.

Ryan Elliott
04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Jesus Christ, Texas. Why are the majority of you so fucking stupid?

Mattman
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
You know what the sad thing is? Because this is Texas, she probably just cemented her re-election.

Foolish Mortal
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/29qcfwx.png

Supajoe
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
oh bendis board, never change with your blanket generalizations about an entire state!

Mattman
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
oh bendis board, never change with your blanket generalizations about an entire state!
The stars at night, are clear and bright...

chazbot
04-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Let's form a posse and round 'em up!

James H
04-10-2009, 12:46 PM
The stars at night, are clear and bright...

...deep in the heart of Texas! *clap clap clap*

I really think that it should be a state law that if someone starts that song, you have to stop what you're doing and finish it, like in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

ZombieSpeedball
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
"What is your name?"

"Shinji Ozu"

*WHIP*

"Your name is TOBY!"

And we all know what happened after Roots...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HBTFORb4rP8/SPidrpdSnfI/AAAAAAAABMU/JhShpxZue5o/s400/JordyLaForge.jpg

chazbot
04-10-2009, 12:56 PM
And we all know what happened after Roots...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HBTFORb4rP8/SPidrpdSnfI/AAAAAAAABMU/JhShpxZue5o/s400/JordyLaForge.jpg

I always though this happened next.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/3/38/ReadingRainbow-Kermit-1985.jpg

Dreg
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Yeah, it's almost as if Betty Brown were chosen to represent the people of Texas in some manner.

Generic Poster
04-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Have you ever noticed that Asians have names like "Albert," whereas white people have names like "Ben"?

bartleby
04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Have you ever noticed that Asians have names like "Albert," whereas white people have names like "Ben"?

/thread

RegHorsten
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I think it would behoove Ms. Brown to learn the difference between somebody's name and a word in a foreign language. For example, I'm pretty sure the locals still call her Betty Brown when she goes to Germany for the annual White Power rallies.

She goes by Betty Brownshirt at the rallies. ;-)

Ryan Elliott
04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah, it's almost as if Betty Brown were chosen to represent the people of Texas in some manner.

heh.